Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

A 6th Year at Hogwarts by SomberBallad

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Since Harry arrived at the Weasley’s his life had gotten considerably better. Instead of being in his room all day, he was able to hang out with Ron and Hermione and be around wizards and the Order. It was a breath of fresh air for him just to walk into the house. He was very disappointed though to hear from Mrs. Weasley that Sirius and Lupin were out on a mission for the Order. He had been looking forward to seeing Sirius the whole summer, and Mrs. Weasley didn’t even know how long he was going to be gone. Though this darkened Harry’s spirits, he was far too happy to be away from the Dursley’s to be too depressed. Now that the ministry had been alerted of Voldemort and had Aurors looking for him, he seemed to have disappeared. Even the Order, who continued to remain separate and secret from the Ministry had no idea where he had gone. (The order thought it was a good idea to remain secret, in case the Ministry tried to turn on them again.) Though this news about Voldemort should have put the Order on edge not knowing where he was, everyone seemed to be thankful he had disappeared from their lives for a while. Now, things seemed a little less tense, even though everyone was still looking. Harry’s thoughts dwelled on Voldemort and Sirius as he played exploding snap with Ron at the dining room table. Hermione sat next to him reading the book; she had gotten him for his birthday. Harry did find it a bit odd that she was reading his quidditch book, but then again Hermione was willing to read anything. They sat in silence until Ron broke the silence, cursing as the cards exploded in front of him.



“Who do you think we’ll have as a Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher this year?” asked Ron picking up the mess of cards.



“I doubt anyone will want it really,” said Harry helping Ron clean up the cards, falling out of his thoughts.



“I imagine Dumbledore is having a hard time finding a replacement,” said Hermione looking up from her book.



"I hope we don’t get stuck with someone like Umbridge,” said Ron going a bit pale.



“It’s going to take someone like her to even take the position,” said Harry gloomily.



“Absolutely no one is worse then Umbridge unless it were Voldemort himself,” said Hermione coldly. Ron didn’t even have time to yelp at Hermione’s suggestion at Voldemort because at that moment, Ron’s mom came in tell them to get ready to go out.



“Where are we going, mum?” he asked, as she was about to leave the room. She didn’t say anything but tossed three letters their way and smiled. Hermione grabbed at hers like a wild cat, ripping it open frantically. Harry and Ron didn’t touch theirs but watched Hermione frantically read its contents.



“Oh no,” she gasped looking as if she were going to cry. She bit her lip and took a deep breath.



“What’s wrong?” Harry asked her.



“It’s these O.W.L. scores,” she said handing her paper to Harry, her voice shaking. Harry took the paper, scanning down the list of classes; it wasn’t hard to understand what was wrong. He looked up at Hermione and couldn’t hold back a laugh. Ron read over his shoulder and shook his head and rolled his eyes.



“Hermione, these are great scores, I’m sure they are much better then mine,” said Harry.



“But Harry, look at Astronomy,” she whimpered.



“Yes, and there is a perfectly good explanation for that. We were all stunned about what happened to Hagrid and Professor McGonagall. We didn’t have time to finish and I’m sure that was all. Besides Hermione, Acceptable is not a bad grade or anything. And you may never need Astronomy for what you want to do anyway. And you have Outstanding’s in everything else, no one could over look that,” Harry said soothingly, who had stopped laughing long enough to tell her this.



Hermione sniffed and sighed, “Maybe you’re right.” Though she didn’t look convinced of that. Ron was busy pouring over his own scores.



“How’d you do mate?” Harry asked him.



“Not exceedingly bad, I scraped mostly Acceptable's, except in Divination, but we knew I was going to fail that anyways. And I got Exceeds Expectation in Charms, Herbology, and Care of Magical Creatures, and even an Outstanding in Defense Against the Dark Arts, thanks to you Harry,” he said looking mildly impressed.



“What about you Harry,” asked Hermione, composing herself.



“Well,” Harry opened his letter and scanned the list, grinning. Before he could tell them, Hermione snatched it out of his hand.



“Harry these are wonderful,” she said beaming at him.



“Unlike yours…” he replied sarcastically. She blushed.



“Is someone going to tell me what he got,” said Ron angrily.



“An Outstanding in Defense Against the Dark Arts, Potions, Care of Magical Creatures, and Exceeds Expectations in everything except Astronomy and Divination, where he got two Acceptables,” said Hermione pointedly.



“That’s a miracle I got an Outstanding in potions,” said Harry surprised.



“Are you three ready to go yet,” asked Ginny poking her head into the dining room. The three of them got up, grabbed their lists, and followed her out to the car. And soon they were on their way to Diagon Alley.

***



Mrs. Weasley wanted to go shopping for some potion supplies, and a new cookbook. She handed Ron and Ginny a bag of coins each. Hermione opened the brick wall for them and soon it revealed the dazzling sight of Diagon Alley. It was bustling with Hogwarts students getting school supplies. Harry was widely greeted as they walked along the streets and shops. Apparently Harry wasn’t the crazy kid everyone thought he was last year. Their first stop was the bookstore, where Harry and Hermione needed many books for their N.E.W.T level classes. Much to Ron’s disgust, Harry’s surprise, and the girls’ delight dress robes were once again the list for supplies needed.



“We aren’t having another ball again are we?” Ron moaned.



“I imagine we must be,” replied Harry who felt indifferent about the whole thing.

While Harry and Ron gawked at the latest broom; the Sunfury 3000.Hermione got some new quills and some food for Crookshanks. And after everyone was done getting new supplies they decided to have lunch. Ginny ran off with Dean, and Ron turned red and gritted his teeth as they made their way to a new restaurant in the Alley called Magical Meals. After ordering, they sat outside in the sun and chatted animatedly about the upcoming school year, without Umbridge, and about D.A. The three of them were really keen on keeping it going, even without Umbridge; it would still be helpful if second war came closer to home. Just as they got their sandwiches and were beginning to eat, Ron choked on his sandwich, staring out the window. Hermione and Harry whirled around to see Malfoy, Crabbe, and Goyle walking onto Diagon Alley from Knockturn Alley. Harry glared darkly at them as Malfoy and his henchmen filed into the restaurant. Unfortunately Malfoy spotted them eating by the window and he smirked coldly striding over to them. He seemed to have gotten much taller over the summer, and he enjoyed using that to loom threateningly over them.



“What do you want Malfoy?” asked Harry coldly, still glaring darkly at them.



“I would have expected you start treating me with a certain respect Potter, after what you did to my father, you owe me. You will pay for that…even if he has escaped Azkaban, you exposed him,” spat Draco nastily. Harry grinned nastily, laughing shortly.



“All talk and no show Malfoy, I suppose you’ll sneak up on me in the middle of the night, and hex me to death. I am so frightened. Honestly though, if you keep good on this threat like you promise to do on the Quidditch field, then I have nothing to worry about,” sneered Harry, he shook his head. Granted he despised Malfoy but he couldn’t help but gloat that he finally got the upper hand last year. Especially since no one believed him that Mr. Malfoy was a death eater.



“I’ll show you Potter, maybe not here, or now, but your blood will be on my hands,” said Malfoy quietly, who now whispered so only Harry could hear, “ and you could have gone so far without this weasel and mudblood.”



Harry glared at Draco with an utmost look of hate and anger crept up. “Unless you’re looking for trouble Malfoy I would step away right now,” warned Harry. Malfoy smirked and drew his wand. Before he could even threaten them with a spell. Harry’s fist flew at Draco’s face landing right into Draco’s cold and calculated face and Malfoy fell to the ground, looking up in horror and amazement. Harry’s mouth gaped, as if he had no idea what he had just done. He shook his head, back and forth, wishing he had just for once kept his temper.



“Harry!” shrieked Hermione standing up grabbing his arm. Now Crabbe and Goyle had started on Harry. Harry put both his fists up, completely forgetting about his wand. His face was wild and angry, his mind racing. What am I doing? I could get in trouble. We’re going to be thrown out. But that nasty filthy vermin…how dare he…he doesn’t know when to stop. Look at yourself Harry; you don’t know when to stop. He has messed with me one to many times. Someone should hex him straight to Hell. Hex? My wand! Wait, I can’t. How am I going to get out of this one? Harry’s hand flew to his back pocket but Ron was a step ahead of him. Ron pointed his wand at Crabbe and Goyle and shouted.



“Riddikulus!”



Crabbe and Goyle fell to the ground next to Malfoy who had started to get up. Without another thought or word, Harry ran across the street away from the restaurant. Ron followed but Hermione stood there in a moral panic. She was fumbling with her purse trying to throw some gold coins on the table. But before she could get the money out of her purse, Malfoy grabbed her wrist, and dragged her over to where Ron and Harry were standing panicked completely unsure of what to do next.



“What do you have to say about them?” Malfoy asked her between his teeth pointing at Harry and Ron who were standing wide-eyed looking at the both of them. Draco’s wand was on Hermione’s chest, and she held her breath, closing her eyes. She shook but didn’t say anything and opened her eyes, looking pleadingly at Harry and Ron. Then Harry snapped back to his senses, and aimed his wand at Malfoy’s chest.



“If you don’t let her go, I will curse you into next week,” snarled Harry, his eyes threatening almost daring Malfoy to try something.



“Do you fancy this mudblood Potter? So you can sink lower, so much lower,” sneered Malfoy, taking Hermione’s face, with the hand not around her wrist. He turned her head to meet his, and looked at her with utmost disgust. Harry aimed to cast his curse when Hermione shrieked.



“Harry, stop! You will be expelled if you hex him, don’t do anything stupid!”



Harry stopped and looked at her a minute, her eyes were growing misty and she looked pleadingly. He turned to Ron who still seemed to be dumbfounded, stared blankly back at him. Harry knew she was right, and Ron had already gotten himself in trouble for using magic. But wouldn’t it be worth it just to torture him now and drop out of school. No don’t be stupid you can’t be expelled. What am I going to do? I can’t even use magic. Then it dawned on him, and without thinking another second he lunged at Malfoy, knocking him to the ground, Hermione fell next to him, but he let go of her wrist, like Harry had hoped. Now Harry wished to get up and leave but that was not going to happen. As Hermione struggled up, off the ground, still shaking, and watched helplessly as Crabbe peeled Harry off Malfoy and Goyle started to punch him, over and over. Harry tried to fight back, flailing his arms, aiming randomly around at anything he could hit, trying to defend himself. But he couldn’t fight the two of them, almost the size of Dudley and before he blacked out he heard a familiar voice. Then Harry remained limp, with contusions and blood pouring down his face.