Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

A 6th Year at Hogwarts by SomberBallad

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Ron heaved a sigh of relief and threw the lists and charts in front of him on the table, happily. Oliver Wood smiled and clapped him on the shoulder, and Angelina leaned back in her chair grinning. The three of them had just finished watching dozens of chasers, and beaters try to make the Gryffindor quidditch team and they just announced the results on who would come back tomorrow for the final round of decision. Ron was dying to get back to the common room to see Harry and tell him the results, though he had a feeling there were a lot of angry Gryffindors waiting for him, at least Oliver and Angelina could go home.

“We’re done,” Angelina breathed and stared up at the now clouding sky, getting darker as the sun started to set.

“For today,” stated Wood firmly, though he seemed relieved too, “we have to finish the final judging tomorrow.”

“At least you two get to dodge all the people who didn’t make it, I get to go meet them,” groaned Ron getting up from the table.

“Just tell them to bugger off,” replied Angelina, “I wouldn’t put up with their whining last year.”

“I’ll keep that in mind,” mumbled Ron still not feeling much better, he waved goodbye to Oliver and Angelina. Hermione was waiting for him, standing just outside of the castle.

“Hey, congratulations!” said Ron walking towards her.

“Thanks,” replied Hermione miserably, “but now I’m even more nervous for tomorrow’s try-out.”

“Well keeping this between you and myself,” said Ron lowering his voice, “you definitely have a shot at making one of the three spots if…” he paused and looked at her seriously, “you get some more confidence on that broom, otherwise you are going to fall off and kill yourself.”

She glared back at him, “I hardly think you are one to talk Ron.” Ron blushed and didn’t say anything walking a bit quicker up the stairs. Harry was waiting for them in the common room, pacing around impatiently. When they finally arrived he was exasperated.

“Ron, finally! How’d it go today? Who made it to tomorrow’s cut? Were they any good? Oh guess what, I’m going to be able to come tomorrow. Professor Snape had an important meeting tomorrow morning, and so Professor Blanchet offered to take my detention…” he paused and grinned, “…tomorrow night! Isn’t that great?! That means I can help with the final try-outs tomorrow!”

Ron stared back at him wide-eyed, “Awesome! This is going to be great! Oliver and Angelina are going to be so excited to see you!”

“So who am I going to watch tomorrow? I know that Ginny made the first cut, along with Lavender and Dean. And I know about a hundred people who want to hex you, but I told them to shove off,” noted Harry earnestly.

“Well…” paused Ron thinking, Hermione glared at him narrowly, “We have Dean, Jonathan, and Ginny left for the beaters, and for chasers we still have six people, Lavender, Emma, Michael, Jason, Molly, and Hermione.”

“Hermione?!” yelled Harry a little louder then he had meant to, he looked between Ron and Hermione. “So were you just not going to tell me?” he asked still looking between them both.

“No, I mean….I was but….I mean if I…I wasn’t sure I really was…and I didn’t think that I would actually…I’m sorry Harry,” stuttered Hermione finally sighing and collapsing on the couch. Harry paused a moment to think about it, then grinned at Hermione excitedly.

“This is so exciting, all three of us on the team! I can’t think of anything more amazing. But how are you going to find time? Can you possibly be able to with all the homework? Are you really going to do it? ” posed Harry, not really asking her but just working everything out verbally. Ron gave him a serious look, warning Harry not to get excited yet. Harry took a deep breath and nodded, still grinning.

“Oh you guys must be exhausted, let’s go down to dinner,” said Harry, Ron nodded eagerly but Hermione hesitated.

“C’mon Hermione, you haven’t eaten anything all day, you must be starving,” persuaded Harry, pulling her off the couch. Hermione looked at him questioningly, wondering how he could possibly know, but didn’t argue and followed them down to the Great Hall.
***

After Dinner, they all clambered back up the Gryffindor tower to bed, since they all had a full day ahead of them tomorrow. When Harry and Ron got upstairs, no one was there seeing how it was still early yet. Harry crashed on the bed, turning quickly back to face Ron.

“So how is she?” Harry asked earnestly, he had been dying to get a minute alone with Ron so he could find out what had happened at the tryouts earlier that day.

Ron sat on his bed staring at Harry and answered him seriously, “To be honest mate, she is a little nervous on broomstick, shaky, you know. She has a lot of potential though, lots of skill, and takes criticism well. She just looks uncomfortable when she is up in the air. I don’t know if she is going to make it unless she gets some more confidence between now and tomorrow morning.”

“Sounds a lot like you,” replied Harry, “and we keep you around.”

“Hey, I think it was me that helped win us the Quidditch cup last year,” protested Ron, gloating a little. Harry narrowed his eyes, clearly not wanting to remember quidditch last year.

“Did Malfoy show up?” asked Harry changing the subject.

“Yeah, but as soon as Oliver found out, he didn’t stay long, we’ll put it that way. You should have seen Malfoy’s glare as Oliver walked away from him, but he did leave,” said Ron grinning, Harry was quite relieved to hear that Malfoy hadn’t jinxed anyone.

“Well, I hope Hermione makes the team anyway,” said Harry changing into his pajamas, “you know I’ve actually never seen her fly since 1st year.”

“She’s pretty good,” replied Ron yawning. And without much more they both fell asleep, in a deep and dreamless sleep, which is much better then the severe lack of sleep Hermione got that night.
***

It was another rough morning for Hermione, and if possible worse then the day before. Ron and Harry’s encouragement was no help for the way she felt, and lack of strength she had. When they headed out that morning she was in a right state. Harry walked over to the judging tables in the middle of the quidditch field. Just as Ron had speculated, Oliver and Angelina were very happy to see Harry that morning.

“Harry,” beamed Oliver and he stood up to shake Harry’s hand, “how is the school’s best seeker? Hopefully ready to make a few imperative decisions.”

“I’m great, thanks,” said Harry, “how’s life in professional quidditch?”

“Slow-going at the moment, but we’ve put together a good team, maybe you can come see us at the World Cup, eh?” replied Wood grinning.

“Harry!” and before Harry could see her Angelina had him in a hug. “I knew you’d find a way to be here.” Harry smiled and didn’t mention to her that he had gotten here on pure luck.

“Let’s get started,” yelled Wood to everyone gathered around the table. “We’re going to start with the beaters, seeing as how there are only three of them and then finish with the chasers. Dean, you’re first up. Now like yesterday, Ron is going to bat bludgers at you and all you have to do is hit them back, and try to stay on your broom. We’re judging on accuracy, speed, confidence, and style. Okay, ready Ron?”

“Yeah I’m ready,” replied Ron mounting his broom and Angelina let the bludgers go. Harry watched as Ron and Dean hit the bludgers between each other, then Ginny went, and finally Jonathan. Going through all the beaters only took about forty-five minutes. Ron came down to add input as they all compared scores and debated.

“Are you blind Oliver? Ginny was nearly beating the hell out of him!” growled Angelina.

“Well we can’t cut Jonathan, did you see the way he rolled back when those two bludgers were coming at him, he is a fast thinker. And Dean did fine, he had good confidence and style,” persuaded Wood, who didn’t like the thought of having a girl beater on the team.

“I think Ginny was good, I agree with Angelina, and Jonathan reasonably could make a good beater he is quick on a broom, but Dean did fall off,” Harry pointed out, adding in his two cents though he was pretty sure Angelina and Oliver didn’t care.

“Okay so, Jonathan and Ginny it is,” said Ron stopping the conversation before anyone could mention Dean again. Oliver hesitated, then threw up his hands and muttered something under his breath.

“It’s not your team any more Oliver Wood,” whispered Angelina. Ron called everyone’s attention and announced the beater positions. Everyone congratulated Ginny and Jonathan. Dean seemed to take the loss pretty well though he seemed a little cold shaking Ginny’s hand. After everything had settled down a bit it was time to decide who the three chasers would be.

“Alright, this is going to be the same thing as yesterday, Oliver will be guarding the hoops and you’ll be trying to knock the quaffles past him, you have thirty tries. Again we’ll be watching speed, accuracy, confidence, and styles. Our order today is going to be, Lavender, Emma, Molly, Hermione, Michael, and Jason. Please be ready to go!” announced Angelina, who then sat down and signaled for Oliver to head up to the goal posts. Lavender followed him and almost immediately try-outs commenced. Harry watched sadly as one by one all the girls attempted to beat Oliver at his own game, but their scores were dismal. The highest number of goals so far was the ten that Lavender had made. Harry tried hard to keep in mind that Oliver was in the pros now but he couldn’t’ help but worry for the future team. Oliver got smugger as the trials commenced, and at the end of every assessment, the player would get less and less confident. Harry kept glancing over at Hermione who looked paler and very sick. Ron seemed to notice too and they exchanged worried glances as she rode upwards. Angelina blew the whistle and Hermione started, Harry tried to remain optimistic, she was just as good as everyone else in accuracy, but she was moving extremely fast, as if she were very nervous.

“She is going to wear herself out, no one should be moving that fast,” Ron murmured, fidgeting with his wand in front of him. Harry just nodded and his eyes remained glued to her, just waiting for her to drop with exhaustion. She was nearing her twentieth ball now, and she flung it hard at the goal, and it went in, past Oliver. But in throwing the ball so hard, she lost grip of her broom, and started to fall. From that point, everything seemed to move a million times slower to Harry, except for Hermione who appeared to be falling at he speed of light. All he could do was the first thing that came to his mind. He grabbed Ron’s wand from him and shouted, “Wingardium Leviosa!” Harry’s spell was hardly enough to keep her floating in the air, but it significantly slowed her drop the ground. She lay there a minute before speed started catching up with them. Oliver flew down to her, completely credulous. Harry and Ron ran over, Harry still holding Ron’s wand. By the time they got over to her, there was a crowd following them. Harry knelt on the ground next to her, and could tell she was still breathing. Ron, who was leaning over Harry, breathed a sigh of relief. From there Oliver took control of the situation, and Harry and Ron were quite thankful of that.
***


Harry leaned forward in his chair, still unable to get comfortable. Ron was just as fidgety as Harry, and finally mumbled something about getting a drink. Harry wished he had thought of it first, he didn’t like being in the hospital wing for any reason but especially not when he was there worrying about his friends. The few hours he and Ron had spent in the hospital wing felt like an eternity. Hermione was still sleeping, but was under “severe exhaustion” according to Madame Pomfrey. She had also broken her arm in the fall to try to catch herself, and that was easily mended but Madame Pomfrey wanted to wait until she was awake to do that. She had told Harry it was very lucky she didn’t hit the ground at full force, or she could have been in much worse shape. Harry knew that he and Ron didn’t have to stay; he knew she was fine really, but he didn’t think it fair for her to wake up by herself. He somehow felt kind of responsible, and figured Ron did too. Ron finally came back with a pitcher of water and a couple glasses and Harry nodded to Ron thankfully. There were only a few words exchanged between them the whole time they were in the hospital wing thus far, but neither felt it necessary to state the obvious. But they both knew what the other was thinking. Why didn’t I notice she was so tired? She could have really been hurt. Why did I encourage her so much? We shouldn’t have let her do it. Why didn’t I notice something was wrong?

“That was really brilliant the way you did that spell and all,” said Ron trying to break the dry silence.

“It just came to me really, I didn’t think about it,” replied Harry.

“Yeah, well the rest of us weren’t thinking at all, you should have seen the look on Wood’s face he was in shock and you were the only one to think to do anything. You’re going to be a great Auror some day Harry,” praised Ron in a kind of awe and respect.

“Thanks,” said Harry, he was pleased at what Ron had said but somewhere deep inside him, he still doubted. You could have done better, you could have done another spell, and maybe she wouldn’t be here. Harry shook his head of his thoughts and tried to think about something else. Then he remembered something he had to do, and groaned.

“Brilliant,” muttered Harry to himself.

“What?” asked Ron, now staring at the ceiling.

“I have detention tonight,” replied Harry and he looked at his watch, “in a half hour actually. I don’t think I should go.”

“I don’t know mate,” Ron shook his head, “I know Hermione wouldn’t be happy if you skipped detention, not to mention you might have it for longer and with Professor Snape again.”

“Good point, but I still think someone should be here if she wakes up,” sighed Harry.

“I’ll stay here,” answered Ron. Then a white owl came flying through the hospital wing, towards Harry and Ron, and dropped a parchment on Harry’s lap. Harry unrolled the parchment, and Hedwig was shooed away by Madame Pomfrey shrieking after it. “What is it?” asked Ron leaning over to look at the paper.

“It’s from Professor Blanchet…it says since I’m not busy to come down to detention immediately. But how does he know Hedwig? And how does he know I’m not busy?” asked Harry confused. Ron just shook his head just as taken aback as Harry was. “I guess I better go then,” sighed Harry reluctantly. He waved to a motionless Hermione, and walked mindlessly to the DADA room. He had been there so many times, he didn’t need to concentrate on where he was going, but more what he was going into. Something about Professor Blanchet had bothered Harry from the start, the glint in his eyes. And though Harry had only a few classes with him, Harry felt like he had met him before, a long time ago. Also in the classes, the professor seemed to pick on Harry more than anyone, Harry didn’t really mind, Defense Against the Dark Arts was easy. But even though he got most questions right, the few he missed he was most reprimanded for. And now, the new mysteries Professor Blanchet presented, with Hedwig and knowing what Harry was doing. Perhaps it was just coincidence after all, Professor McGonagall knew Hedwig. His thoughts swirled back and forth, between coincidence and conspiracy. Finally when he arrived, the door was open and he slowly walked in.

“Shut the door behind you Harry, and lock it please,” called Professor Blanchet briskly from the front of the room. Harry felt a little uneasy about it, but did as he was asked. “Now sit down,” commanded the professor pointing to a chair in front of his desk. “Now, can you tell me why you have detention Mr. Potter?”

Harry was almost certain he knew why but he didn’t feel like earning a month’s worth of detention or arguing with him so he answered plainly, “I pointed my wand at Draco Malfoy.”

“And what spell did you plan to cast Mr. Potter?” asked his teacher.

“Well…I’m not sure really, I wasn’t thinking about it, I just wanted him to leave us alone,” replied Harry dully but not disrespectfully.

“I think you need to keep control of your temper, especially in front of people such as Mr. Malfoy,” warned Mr. Blanchet, who seemed disappointed in Harry. Harry just raised his eyebrows and didn’t say anything. This made the professor angry and he stood up and shouted, “Don’t look at me that way Harry, I told you not to go looking for trouble with Draco Malfoy!”

Harry was taken aback; he knew for sure that Professor Blanchet had told him nothing about Draco or anything of the sort. And he had no right to go around yelling at students like that. Harry stood up replied as politely as he could through clenched teeth, “With all due respect professor, you never told me anything of the sort.”

The Professor looked at him angrily for a moment and then a wave of confusion passed over his face. Suddenly a twinkle came back in his eye, the one Harry recognized.

“I’m sorry Harry,” and he smiled broadly, and laughed. Harry was surprised to see Professor Blanchet smiling at him; he didn’t think the professor ever smiled. But things were getting more confusing every minute; Harry didn’t know what was going on. Then Professor Blanchet still grinning placed his wand atop his head and muttered something, and his hair fell loosely onto his face and still took Harry a minute to realize who he was looking at because he could hardly believe it.

“Sirius?” he finally managed to get out.

“Yes! Harry! It took you long enough!” said Sirius as he embraced his godson. Harry collapsed back into the chair in amazement and awe.

“You’re…you’re Professor Blanchet…that’s how you know Hedwig, and the hospital wing…”Harry stumbled over his thoughts and words, Sirius just nodded.

“It’s been two full weeks and you had no idea it was me,” replied Sirius looking a little hurt.

“Well, but if I can’t tell it’s you then no one can right?” proposed Harry, trying to make Sirius feel better, “after all you are one of the best on the Order.”

Harry regretted it almost as soon as he said it, another touchy topic. But luckily Sirius quickly changed the subject.

“Back to why we are here,” started Sirius sternly, “it’s been only two weeks of school and you are already pulling your wand on Malfoy. Tell me that isn’t right Harry?” Harry started to defend himself but Sirius wasn’t going to hear it. “Harry you just can’t, no excuses, tangling with him means trouble, and I don’t want you doing it.” Harry looked at him defiantly, but there was no way he was going to cross Sirius on something that he felt so deeply about.

“And I’m not going to save you from detention every time Snape gives it to you, no matter how unreasonable.” Sirius paused a moment, “Speaking of saving, want to explain what happened at quidditch this morning?” asked Sirius leaning back in his chair.

“I’m not sure exactly, I guess Ron and I were pushing Hermione to hard to make the quidditch team, and she was really nervous and exhausted and just fell from her broomstick, all the way from the top of the goals,” replied Harry dazedly, trying to recall what had happened.

“And…she didn’t get hurt from the horrifying fall,” coaxed Sirius, who really wanted to hear about Harry’s involvement.

“Well, she did get knocked out, and she broke her arm, she is still in the hospital wing, but you knew that,” replied Harry avoiding the real question.

“Oh come on Harry, you know you prevented something worse from happening to her. You took fast action in a potentially dangerous situation for your friend, when no one else did. You have the right to be a little pleased,” replied Sirius exasperated.


Harry hesitated, he didn’t feel pleased, “I feel like I could have done something better, or maybe that I pushed her to hard to begin with, Sirius, she shouldn’t have even been up there.”

“You’re absolutely right Harry, but that has nothing to do with you. You’ve know Hermione for five years now and you should know that Hermione pushes herself more than anything you or Ron could have said or done. And you couldn’t have stopped her from doing it if she wanted to do it, if she worked for it, she’s stubborn, like someone else I know,” countered Sirius eyeing Harry “and as for being able to do something better, I know few wizards who could come up with a spell that would have completely left her unhindered.” Harry nodded, Sirius was right, though he still felt a little disappointed. Suddenly a ginger cat came slinking in through Sirius’s office into the classroom. Crookshanks jumped up on the desk and purred. Sirius looked at the cat and then back at Harry. “I think Hermione is awake if you want to go see her, but you better come back to see me, and stay out of trouble,” finished Sirius firmly. Harry smiled at his godfather and nodded, turning to leave the classroom.

“Oh and Harry, if you keep saving that girl people are going to start to think things…and not just Malfoy,” said Sirius with a smirk crossing his face.

“Just you, Sirius, and Lupin,” retorted Harry leaving the classroom and heading back up to the hospital wing. When he got there, Ron was waiting outside, leaning on the wall, arms crossed. When he saw Harry he straightened up, and looked a little surprised.

“That was fastest detention I’ve ever heard of Harry.”

“Well it helps when your Defense Against the Arts teacher is your godfather,” murmured Harry, once he got close enough to be out of everyone’s earshot.

“What!?” yelped Ron a little louder then he had meant. Harry just nodded and Ron gaped in amazement. Harry didn’t want to talk about it here so he diverted the subject.

“He said that Hermione was awake,” speculated Harry.

Ron nodded, “she woke up right before you came up here, but Madame Pomfrey shoved me out because she wanted to examine her before she let her our of the hospital wing.”

Harry sighed, not really wanting to wait again, but as soon as he leaned back on the wall, Madame Pomfrey and Hermione came out. Harry quickly straightened up again.

“You two gentlemen will escort her back to the common room and see that she does nothing strenuous and if she has any more spells send her right back up to me,” Madame Pomfrey commanded Ron and Harry, and the two boys nodded. Madame Pomfrey then left them alone, to go back to work on other students. Hermione threw her arms around Harry’s neck embracing him tightly. Harry awkwardly hugged her back. Finally she pulled away and blushed furiously.

“I waited for you too you know,” complained Ron playfully, again leaning against the wall. Hermione smiled and hugged him too. “Now, we have Madame’s orders, up to bed with you.” Hermione then got very sullen, and turned to both of them.

“You have no idea what she is making me do,” moaned Hermione, “she is making me sleep through all my morning classes tomorrow! I am not allowed to attend a single class until after lunch, she is even notifying my teachers. It’s awful of her, I’m fine!”

Harry and Ron looked between each other and laughed, they would have been quite happy to sleep through all their morning classes. Hermione frowned at them and narrowed her eyes. Ron put his arm around her shoulder casually, and starting walking towards the common room, “Oh well, doctor’s orders, and you didn’t look so fine falling off your broom today. Wouldn’t you say Harry?” All Harry could really do was nod in reply; it had been such a long day, full of surprises. If he felt so exhausted he couldn’t imagine how Hermione felt.