Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

A 6th Year at Hogwarts by SomberBallad

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
The Difference

Peter looked up at the newcomer, frowning in a confused way. He kept the wand at Hermione the curse still keeping where she was screaming and shrieking in pain. Harry glanced at Sirius under the guise of Professor Blanchet knowing Peter couldn’t use that curse on her much longer.

“Put the wand down Peter,” murmured Sirius in a deadly manner, wand fully extended, ready to cast. Wormtail still looked confused and his small beady eyes swirled every which way trying to figure out how he knew this seemingly strange person.

Supposing it didn’t matter whom the stranger was or why he remembered him. Peter pulled his wand down, releasing the spell on Hermione.

“Get out of the way Harry,” yelled Sirius to Harry who was standing right between the Professor and Peter.

“No,” responded Peter slowly, “this is between me and Potter.”

“Then you’ll have to deal with me first rat,” snarled Sirius, narrowing his eyes in a threatening manner, “get out of the way Harry.” This time Harry responded, backing away from both of them, and then rushed over to Hermione. Sirius moved forward a couple steps kicking Harry’s wand back over to him. Harry picked it up as it rolled next to his knee, clutching it in his hand at the ready. Hermione lay on the floor next to him, curled in a ball sobbing hopelessly. Harry leaned on the wall next to her, holding her shoulders as she clutched his robes, shaking and still crying. He took off her mask gently, but she didn’t look up at him keeping her face buried in his chest. In the mean time Sirius and Peter were pretty much in a full-fledged duel. When Harry looked up, spells were flying all over the place, and Wormtail was losing, though still putting up a fight. Sirius’s face had taken a hit, and was profusely bleeding, after he collided with the hard stone wall. Though Peter looked like he could collapse at any given point, looking pretty pale, more so then usual.

“What are you doing here rat?” bellowed Sirius after he knocking Wormtail to the ground.

“You’ll die before I tell you,” replied Wormtail withering, trying to get up. Sirius just walked towards him and blasted him against the wall again.

“Quit while you’re behind Peter,” returned Sirius snarling, so close now that he was standing over him, looming.

“I don’t know who you are but this will not be the last time we meet. Besides I have everything I need to know,” and with that, Wormtail turned back into his rodent form, then seemingly turned invisible right in front of Sirius’s eyes, who blinked surprised and then turned to Harry in alarm.

“Come on Harry, we have to go,” said Sirius quickly scooping up Hermione, who was shuddering uncontrollably.

“Where are we going Sirius?” asked Harry jogging after him.

“You’ll see when we get there,” returned Sirius, quickening the pace. It didn’t take long for Harry to understand where they were going when he saw the large gargoyle statue at the end of the hall. Harry’s mind was racing, he didn’t even hear Sirius say the password, and he mindlessly climbed up the stairs into Dumbledore’s office. Harry wasn’t very surprised to find the room empty, except for the former headmasters arguing between themselves, about something Harry couldn’t bring himself to listen to.

“Harry, come here,” ordered Sirius lying Hermione on a purple cushion by the fireplace, “stay here with her, I’m going down to Snape’s office to find a potion that might help her. If she starts shaking again, try to restrain her from hurting herself more; I’ll be right back, hoping that Slimeball doesn’t give me a hard time. “ Sirius’s face was contorted into a pained expression and the blood on his face was still shining. He looked at Harry a minute and then left in a huff robes billowing behind him.

Harry had known for a while that things wouldn’t be perfect forever, and he was frustrated that he didn’t see what happened tonight coming sooner. Of course he would come on a night when everyone was caught off guard. But what was Wormtail looking for? What did he find? Was Voldemort closer then everyone thought? Harry was so angry at his worthless duel with Wormtail. Perhaps he really was just lucky; maybe he really couldn’t do what everyone thought he could. Maybe he wasn’t meant to save the wizarding world. This thought made Harry shudder involuntarily; if he couldn’t save the wizarding world, then Voldemort would win, and the wizarding world was done for. Harry sighed, and let his head fall back on the cushion. Everywhere he went, nothing was ever going to be good for him. He looked down at Hermione, whose eyes were wide open now, staring at nothing in front of her. And for Harry’s whole life he would only hurt those closest to him, his parents and his friends. Finally Hermione looked up at him, her face twisted in a pained expression.

“Harry? Am I weak?” whispered Hermione, voice quaking slightly, still looking straight ahead.

“Absolutely not, I’ve never seen anyone that looks as good as you after being under an unforgivable curse for so long,” he responded blushing a little, realizing what he had said. She smiled back faintly.

“Harry? What’s going on?” she asked him sadly.

“I don’t know,” returned Harry honestly, wishing he knew himself..

“Harry, don’t go away,” murmured Hermione, who soon fell asleep in a couple of minutes, curled up in a ball next to him. Harry looked at her and shook his head angrily. Then he cooled, letting his fingers fall along her hair playing with it lightly. He really appreciated her bravery; she had been so strong lately. His fingers quickly withdrew from their place as Sirius stormed back into the room irritated.

“All right Harry I got it,” yelled Sirius in an annoyed manner as soon as he walked in the room.

“Shh!” hissed Harry quieting Sirius, who shot him a perplexed look.

“She’s sleeping,” whispered Harry pointing at Hermione.

“I think she’s unconscious Harry,” replied Sirius calmly as if Harry were a small child.

“No, I talked to her just a couple minutes ago, then she fell asleep,” countered Harry just as seriously and calmly. Sirius stared at him intently and could tell he was telling the truth.
“I wouldn’t lie about something like that Sirius,” said Harry frowning at his godfather’s disbelief.

“I know Harry but I just can’t believe she could possibly have remained conscious after being under the Cruciatus curse for that long,” said Sirius running his hand through his still perfectly gelled hair.

“What’s going on Sirius?” asked Harry in a hushed undertone.

“Apparently Wormtail was here scouting for Voldemort, despite what he said I don’t think he found what he was looking for,” responded Sirius seriously, “though the Order has picked up on Voldemort somewhere within twenty mile radius of the school.”

“What does he want over here, so close to Dumbledore?” asked Harry angrily.

“I honestly don’t know Harry, I don’t have much time though. Minerva, Slimeball, and myself are heading back to Molly’s for a short while, hopefully we’ll be back Monday before classes start so nobody suspects anything. The students have no idea that anything has happened and I trust it’ll stay that way. Albus is there right now but will be back in the morning. I talked to Ron, and he’s going to cover for you two tonight, so stay here. It will be easier to keep her here for now. And when she wakes up have her drink this,” ordered Sirius handing Harry a vial with a thick clear liquid in it.

“What’s this?” asked Harry taking the vial.

“Xialian, it is going to counter any side affects from that curse, since she was under it’s influence for so long it might have damaging long term affects, you can give her that for now, I’ll see to her later. I have to go, stay here until the morning; and then join everyone for breakfast. Ron will cover for you. I’ll find you when I know something,” Harry nodded seriously, looking tiredly up at his godfather. Sirius looked at Harry and Hermione one last time then left them alone.

Harry stretched out, putting his hands under his head staring up at the ceiling blankly, though his mind was far from it. The old headmasters had settled down quite a bit and were now only whispering quietly. Harry couldn’t hear them over the loudness of the thoughts in his head. He couldn’t stop thinking about the prophecy, and Voldemort. Something had to be done, he had to keep training, keep working. He couldn’t be defeated so easily as he was tonight. Harry knew something had to be done, and the only one who could do it was himself. His eyes closed, and slowly but surely these determined thoughts lulled him to sleep.
***

“Harry…Harry,” Hermione hissed. Harry’s eyes fluttered open, Hermione was next to him sitting up, looking down at him.

“What?” asked Harry sitting up himself, when he saw what it was. ”Professor Dumbledore!”

“Miss Granger, Mr. Potter,” he nodded genially towards them as if he found nothing unnatural about finding two students waking up in his office. This was the first time Harry had really seen Dumbledore this year, besides the meals, and masquerade. “Breakfast is starting in ten minutes, though I suppose you two will want to clean up before breakfast,” said Dumbledore thoughtfully looking between the two of them. Harry couldn’t agree more, he looked down at his wrinkled dress robes looking a bit tattered from their original state. He also realized he couldn’t see, the spell he had used to see better had worn off and his sight had gone blurry. Hermione’s hair had lost its curl, though still straight, some of her glow from the night before had worn off, though considering the circumstances, she still looked decent. Hermione stood up brushing her robes a little, blushing brightly. Harry got up too, but he really didn’t want to go, he wanted to find out what was going on. Again confirming the theory Harry had about Dumbledore reading minds, Dumbledore dismissed Hermione asking Harry to stay.

“There is no point in keeping things from you Harry, I think we have learned our lesson about that. And I’m almost sure you’d find out anyway and I’d rather you hear it from me. As I’m sure Sirius told you, Voldemort is in the area, and I promise you I don’t know anymore then that. But what I’m going to ask you Harry is very important, you need to resume Occlumency with Professor Snape, before you object let me finish. This is essential Harry, now that Voldemort is so close it will be very easy for him to penetrate your mind, and it is much more dangerous then before. You know the consequences now Harry, you understand what needs to be done. Have a nice weekend Mr. Potter,” finished Dumbledore calmly with a smile and a familiar twinkle in his eye. Harry just kind of gaped and started to speak but Dumbledore just nodded at him.

Harry left his office a bit dejected, and sulkily made his way back to the common room. He knew Dumbledore was right, but he remembered how hard Occlumency was and being with Snape at night was not his idea of fun. Though Dumbledore’s last words hung over him, he did know what he had to. He had to save the wizarding world if he could, and if spending his evenings Snape would help save it, it was all he could do for now.