Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Black Chronicles - An Ancient Legacy by the nutty imp

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Note: Thanks Laura! You're absolutely right on those transitions. It did wonders to the chapter.
Chapter One “ Out of His Time

(Year 1987)

It was a cold, gray October morning. The rain ran down the glass windows of Number Twelve Grimmauld Place. Two men stood outside, their cloaks soaked and dripping wet. The taller man shivered slightly.

The shorter man had a thick crop of long gray hair and stern features. His unusual magical eye swiveled to his left, eyeing his companion exasperatedly. “Shacklebolt, there is such a thing known as a heating charm."

The taller, dark-skinned man, named Kingsley Shacklebolt, frowned.“It’s not due to the cold weather, Alastor, it’s that house.”

Alastor Moody raised an eyebrow.

Kingsley Shacklebolt sighed. “I mean, this is the home of the Blacks, the most ancient and darkest wizarding family our world has ever encountered. They're the most powerful wizards that had fought by the Dark Lord’s side. The Black family line may have ended with the death of Orion, Walburga, and Regulus but still...”

Moody nodded. “I know... the death and destruction wrought by their hands... had there been just one more Black who fought by Voldemort’s side...”

The younger man smiled at his mentor “But you and Dumbledore defeated them.”

Just barely. Had we not faced them on that final stand, the Blacks would have re-gathered the Death Eaters and took over where Voldemort left off.”

I’m just glad we no longer have to worry about another Black.”

Moody smirked. “You do know that Regulus had an older brother, right?”

Shacklebolt paled. “You mean to say that there could be another Black out there?”

Moody sighed. “Relax kid, Sirius Black disappeared at the age of six and was never heard from again. Rumor has it that the Blacks offered their eldest child as a human sacrifice for some sort of dark ritual. Of course that’s only a rumor.”

Shacklebolt shuddered. “I wouldn’t put it past the Blacks.”

Enough talk; let’s get working on those wards.”

Deep within the once grand house the air stirred, and the dark halls seemed to whisper their welcome to one of its former occupants.

Sirius Black groaned and looked around. The room was still dark and full of dust; however, above him the once empty ceiling was now covered with spider webs that looked like giant hammocks. A little mouse hobbled across and vanished into a hole in the wall.

Sirius searched the room for his brother.“Regulus? Are you still in here?” Getting no answer, he headed towards the door.

Sirius slowly pulled opened the squeaky door and slipped out. “Mum? Dad? Where is everyone?”

Sirius shivered as he looked around. Everything seemed the same. Dustier and darker, the house looked as if no one had lived there for years. “Regulus! Come on out! I promise to never turn your hair green again. Please, Regulus? Mum! Dad! I’m sorry! I promise never to sneak into that room again! Mum! Dad! Anyone? Please? I’ll be good! I promise! Just come out!”

Sirius looked around expecting either his parents or his brother to step out from the shadows, but there was only silence. Not knowing what else to do, he sat down on the floor and cried.

Sirius stopped crying and listened as someone or something seemed to be hobbling towards him. He wiped his eyes and grinned, he watched as a short figure came out of the shadows.

“Kreacher!” Sirius frowned as Kreacher looked really old. “What happened to you?”

Master Sirius is back. Come. Mistress asked that Kreacher give you something. Come Master.”

Sirius frowned. “Mum? Where is she? MUM! WHERE ARE YOU!”

Kreacher covered his ears with his hand. “Master Sirius always noisy. Bad Master Sirius. Mistress never happy when Master Sirius is noisy.”

Sirius rolled his eyes and followed the cranky house elf. Kreacher led him down into the basement. It was large and dark and smelled of dust and stale potions. He watched as Kreacher hobbled to a large desk and pulled open one of the drawers, as he muttered,

“Beautiful Mistress’ face appeared in the fire. Poor, poor mistress.”

Sirius walked over and stared at the house elf “Mum? Why? What’s wrong? What happen to mum?”

Kreacher continued to rummage inside the drawer as if Sirius hadn’t spoken. “Mistress throws this in and told Kreacher to wait for Master Sirius. To give this to Master Sirius together with old book. Then fire gone. Kreacher alone and no Mistress.” The house elf then pulled out a book and a piece of jewelry, and handed it to the boy.

Sirius stared at the objects at hand. As he recognized them, the boy grabbed the house elf and shook him. “Kreacher! This is Dad’s ring! Where’s Dad?”

Unhand Kreacher! Bad, bad Master! Mistress would punish Master for harming Kreacher!”

Dammit, you daft elf! Tell me what’s going on!”

The elf started to wail. “Mistress gone! Mistress won’t be able to punish Master Sirius for harming Kreacher.” Suddenly the elf gasped. “Intruders! Blood Traitors! In Mistresses’ beautiful house!”

Sirius’ eyes widened in fear, for he knew that as crazy as the house-elf may be, he could truly sense when anyone entered the house. He bit his lower lip and asked.

“How many Kreacher?”

Two Blood traitors!”

Sirius headed towards the shelf full of old wands, each carefully labelled with the name of the noble ancestor who wielded it. He grabbed a wand and it glowed in his hand. Sirius glanced down at the label:

"Nathaniel Black “ Maple wood, Unicorn and Kelpie hair."

Sirius rushed up the stairs, hoping that the only two spells he knew would be enough to handle the intruders. His father had always told him that Blacks were stronger than Half breeds, Mudbloods and Blood Traitors, therefore he should be able to handle this. He was a Black after all.

The two Aurors observed with grim fascination the eerie choice of decor, the house's former occupants had picked. Heads of old house elves were carefully hung onto the whole distance of the hallway. Due to some trick of light, the heads appeared to watch the two intruders accusingly.

Moody signaled his companion to stay back “Someone’s coming.”

Alastor, you worry too much. The Blacks used to have a house elf. It's probably just that old thing and...” Before Shacklebolt was able to finish his sentence, a flash of light appeared and headed his way.

Tarantallegra!”

Shacklebolt felt his legs begin to move involuntarily, and his mentor ran towards him to tackle him down in time to avoid...

Reducto!”

The wall behind them blew up, covering both Moody and Shacklebolt in dust and debris. Alastor Moody raised his wand. “Expelliarmus!”

As the wand flew towards Moody’s hand, he pointed his wand towards his companion. “Finite.”

Soft footsteps echoed through the empty halls as their attacker attempted to make a run for it. Moody and Shacklebolt easily caught their attacker and were surprised to see that...

It’s a kid!”

Moody frowned and knelt in front of the frightened child. “We’re not going to hurt you. What is your name child?”

Si-Sirius Black.”

Both Aurors looked at one another in surprise.

Alastor, I thought you said an elder brother.”

Moody stared intently at the child before him. “Sirius, can you tell me about the last time you saw your parents or your brother?”

Sirius gave both men a look of confusion. He just frowned, crossed his arms, and looked intently at the ceiling above.

Alastor Moody sighed. “Kingsley, hand over those packets of Chocolate Frogs.”

What makes you think I have some on me now?”

Just hand them over!”

Shacklebolt grumbled and emptied his pockets. Sirius eyes brightened at the sight of the candies.

Moody grinned “Now Sirius, are you ready to talk?”

Sirius nodded enthusiastically.

-0-

To the Muggles this appeared to be just another simple office building, an illusion that kept them ignorant about what truly stood beneath this unimpressive facade. This simple office building was far larger than it appeared and it also served a grander purpose.

A short balding man paced around his office and turned towards his audience. “So what do we do about him?”

A tall, thin woman with graying-black hair tied in a tight bun looked straight into the Minister’s eye and answered, “It's simple Cornelius, we simply send him back to his time. The child clearly does not belong here.”

Alastor Moody shook his head. “It’s not that simple Amelia. Time has moved on without him. Should we send him back, we might jeopardize our own existence.”

Barty Crouch turned towards Moody and asked, “Why do you say that, Alastor?”

Alastor Moody started to rub his temple with his hand. “Who knows. Had he stayed in his time, Sirius would have been in the same year as the Potters. He would have also been involved in the war. The boy's involvement may change events as we know it. Moreover, he’s a Black. Orion, Nadine, and Regulus were hard enough to deal with.”

Barty Crouch contemplated on the dilemma. “We can just send him to live with Muggles and make sure magic never touches him.”

Amelia Bones shook her head. “We can’t. By law, his relatives can take custody of him.”

Barty Crouch waved his hands angrily. “But he’s a Black!”

And we are the Ministry of Magic. We should always uphold the law. Whether or not he’s a Black, should not be important.”

Alastor Moody sighed. “Amelia’s right.”

The door squeaked open and a man with a long, white beard and half-moon shaped glasses entered.

You’re late, Albus.”

My apologies Cornelius, I was talking to the boy. I trust you’ve made a decision?”

The Minister of Magic nodded. “He is to live with his relatives if they want him.”

Albus Dumbledore, Hogwarts Headmaster nodded “I figured as much. I’ve already contacted both Andromeda Tonks and Nacissa Malfoy. Narcissa is willing to take the boy in."

Alastor Moody and Amelia Bones looked at one another.

“How does he do it?” Amelia grumbled;

Moody grinned.

-0-

The Malfoy Manor was such a grand mansion. She had stood for five generations of Malfoys. The whiteness of its walls gave it a welcoming appearance. The flowers bloomed on the balconies in various shades of pinks, oranges, and yellows. It was hard to imagine anyone living in such a place to be dark wizards. However, the Malfoys had been dark wizards for centuries. The manor and its inhabitants share this certain aspect; they maintained a façade and appearance which could indeed be deceiving.

Lucius, the child is my cousin.”

Narcissa, you are so quick to forget that the Black name is not what it used to be. I have finally cleared my own name. Accepting a Black, moreover the ‘Last heir of the Black’, in my household will give people the wrong impression.”

Narcissa Malfoy would normally have accepted her husband's decision. However in this case she made an exception, she felt that it is her obligation to her late family to ensure that the last of their children be brought up as befitted a Black.

“I also happen to be a Black. The child is Uncle Orion's heir. He and Aunt Walburga wished that the child should be raised by pure-blooded relatives. I am but obligated to take the child in.”

Lucius growled. Seeing the determined look in her husband’s blue eyes, Narcissa decided to use another tactic.

Lucius, be reasonable. We both know that our holdings are depleted, whereas the Black Family fortune is still fully intact. As Sirius’ guardians, we will be entitled to all the interests earned from his fortune. That in itself will be more than enough to tide us over."

She smiled and placed a hand on her husband's shoulder. "Moreover, you do know that Arthur Weasley is a distant relative of mine. Should we not take the boy in, Arthur will certainly get his grubby hands into the fortune that is rightfully ours.”

Lucius frowned “You do know that our current position is all Regulus’ fault. Regulus who happens to be the brother of that...”

Yes Lucius I know.”

I had to pay-off so many people to ensure that we would be cleared...”

Yes Lucius, you did it very well. I don’t know what I would have done without you.”

Lucius Malfoy smiled at his wife.

Just think of this as a way for Regulus to make up for all the trouble he caused you my dear husband. Also a way for you to make sure Arthur never rises from his state of drudgery and poverty.”

Lucius smiled and took pleasure in the knowledge that he had once again deprived Arthur Weasley of something. The fact that he did not want the child in the first place would not matter, all that mattered was the fact that Arthur will not get the money.

“So when should we pick up this cousin of yours?”

End of Chapter 1 -

Facts: * Arthur Weasley is Sirius' second cousin once removed. (source HPLexicon) A/N: This story will take place in Harry Potter's timeline. Here, Sirius Black would be around the same age as Harry, Ron and Hermione. The events as we know it may change slightly due to his involvement, but my main plot will not be the events in Philosopher's Stone. Black Chronicles is about Sirius Black's journey to discover the truth behind the Most Noble and Ancient House of Blacks. Thank to everyone who took the time to read this ^_^