Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Black Chronicles - An Ancient Legacy by the nutty imp

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
EDITED BY: darko

Chapter Four “ A Black in Gryffindor



Sirius took a look out of the window. He saw the full moon as it shone brightly above a great black lake. Across the lake, perched atop a high mountain, was a majestic castle with many towers; its windows sparkled in the starry sky.


Black! Quit dawdling around and hurry up!"


Sirius sighed and ran to catch up with Draco, Crabbe, and Goyle. Once they had stepped outside, they saw an overly large man with a black shaggy beard. Sirius’ eyes widened in surprise, for that particular man could even make Crabbe and Goyle look like dwarves.


The man continued to shout, “Firs’ years! Firs’ years! Gather ye around, Firs' years!"


Draco wrinkled his nose. “A half breed, what is Dumbledore thinking? And not just any half-breed, it’s a half giant!”


Sirius curiously observed the tall figure. “I’ve heard that giants are not affected by the Stinging Hex.”


Draco grinned evilly. “Oh really? Crabbe, Goyle, let’s put Mr. Black’s theory to a test.” All three raised their wands and before Sirius can say a word to stop them, bright red lights flew towards the large man calling for the first years.


The half giant yelped in pain as the bout of stinging curses hit him. He glared darkly at the three sources of the curses and marched in their direction. Draco Malfoy and his two companions immediately pointed to Sirius, who stood a few feet away from them. “It was his idea! Black told us that giants cannot be affected by the Stinging Hex!”


Sirius opened his mouth to protest but half-giant cut him off.


“I have half a mind to have McGonagall deal with ye fours, but time is a-wasting. Now go get yerselves a boat!”The large man turned around to face the other first years “Fours to a boat! Fours to a boat!”


Sirius shook his head as he felt the glares from the vast majority of the first year students gathered. Malfoy and his loyal followers ignored the glares and snickered about. Flashing green eyes watched the foursome indignantly, unable to believe the childish, rude, and inconsiderate behavior of the four.


Harry approached the half-giant “Hagrid, are you alright?”


Don’t ye worry about me, Harry. Me skin is tougher than most.” The giant smiled down at the concerned boy “Now go get yerself a boat.”


Harry nodded and joined Ron, Hermione, and Neville in a boat. A short distance away he saw that Malfoy, Black, Crabbe, and Goyle had taken a boat as well. Sirius excitedly told his three companions about a giant squid that supposedly lived in the lake. Draco Malfoy rolled his eyes, “Really Black, do you think I'm gullible enough to believe your tall tale about a giant squid?Go try your luck with a half-witted half breed.”


But it’s true! Kingsley told me all about it!”


His curiosity piqued, Harry turned to Ron and Neville. “What do you guys know about a giant squid in this lake?”


Ron nodded. “Fred and George told me that there’s one in this lake, but it's quite rare for it to come out.”


Harry looked toward the other boat on their left. He saw that Sirius leaned halfway down from the boat, with his hands in the water. He moved his hands to and fro. The students on the far right, suddenly screamed. Harry turned around and saw giant white tentacles headed their way; his eyes widened in shock. Behind him he heard Draco, Crabbe, and Goyle scream as well.


I told you there’s a Giant squid in this lake!”


Harry turned around once again to face Sirius. The other boy smiled smugly as his right hand reached into his pocket and pulled out some small gray objects. The white tentacles reached out towards Sirius’ right hand. Sirius was about to pat the squid’s tentacle with his left hand when Draco started to scream, “It’s going to attack us! Help! ” The blond haired boy and his two companions jumped up and attempted to move away from the squid. Sirius' eyes widened in alarm, he tried to stop his companions. “Draco, don’t ...” The boat capsized before Sirius was even able to complete his sentence.


Harry eyes widened and called for help, “Hagrid!” Hogwart’s caretaker was on the scene even before Harry could finish his sentence. The half-giant righted the boat and proceeded to pull out three panicky first years and a trouble-maker who laughed merrily. When the crowd realized that all four were safely back on their boat, scattered laughter could be heard.


Draco Malfoy’s face was flushed and he angrily glared at the moron he deemed responsible for his predicament. “This is entirely your fault Black! My father will not be pleased.” However, Sirius Black was too busy laughing to even register the threat thrown at him.


Harry shook his head and smiled. He turned towards his friends to tell them that Sirius Black definitely knew how to stir some excitement, but remembered that he best hold his tongue in front of Ron and Neville whenever Sirius Black was concerned.


Hagrid looked curiously at the laughing boy. “What were ye holding back there. How did ye get that squid to come to ye?”


Sirius smiled. “Kingsley told me that the squid likes Bertie Bott’s Fish Flavored Beans.”


Hagrid grinned. “Well I’ll be. I’ll have to remember that. Now ye just keep yer hands inside yer boat from now on.” He then turned his boat around and once again led the group of first years towards the castle.


Draco stared at Black incredulously and hissed. “Black, you idiot! Why are you even talking to him? Didn’t you hear me tell you that he’s a half-breed?”


Sirius looked to Draco in confusion. “Huh? So?”


Draco rolled his eyes. “Father’s right, you are hopeless.”


The rest of the ride went on without event, for this Hagrid was thankful. He led the first years toward the Hogwarts doorway, making sure that the four dripping wet first years stayed in front of him. Three of them sulked as they marched forward, and the fourth one annoyed the other three even further through his hyper-active ways.


Black, stop that! Now I know why father never wants to take you anywhere!”


“Oh come on Draco, this is an old castle full of secret passage ways! Who knows I might find one in this pathway!”


Harry, who walked beside Hagrid, looked up to his overly large friend and grinned. Hagrid smiled in recollection, “That boy sure reminds me of yer father, if not fer the company he keeps, he wouda been exactly like James.”


Harry started in surprise. “My dad?”


Hagrid nodded. “Yeah, yer father was always laughing, and troublesome, and could never stay still whens he was yer age.”


Hagrid and the group stopped in front of a large oak door. On each side of the door stood majestic stone sculptures of the Gryffindor lion. The door itself was no less magnificent, for it was covered with intricate carvings depicting the founding of Hogwarts by four great wizards. The oak door creaked open and there stood a severe looking woman with her black hair held tightly in a bun, her eagle-like eyes hidden behind square glasses. She gauged, the gathered students before her.


One dripping wet student suddenly walked up to her and gave a bow. “My lady, did anyone ever tell you that you’ve got the most beautiful eyes?”


Hagrid’s jaw dropped. The rest of the first years were also shocked by Sirius’ bold act.


The woman gave the young boy a hard stare “I don’t know what you’re up to Mr...”


Black, Ma’am. Sirius Black.” He gave the woman a charming smile, “I was hoping to butter you up a bit, so my companions and I may be excused to our rooms, and we can change to something drier.”


Minerva McGonagall held back an urge to roll her eyes “Mr. Black...”


You may called me Sirius, my dear lady”


By now McGonagall could not hold back the urge to roll her eyes "I’d rather not Mr. Black. As I was saying before you interrupted, you will not be assigned a room until you are sorted. So for now, this will have to do." McGonagall waved her wand and the four dripping wet first years found themselves dried.


May I comment that the lady not only possess beauty but skills as well.”


Professor Minerva McGonagall, Deputy Head Mistress glared at Sirius Black “That would be enough, Mr. Black.”


Sirius grumbled “It’s no wonder that chivalry is dead, ladies nowadays can’t even accept a proper compliment.”


Harry was unable to hold back any longer as he chorted with laughter. A handful of first years who had also recovered from their shock, chuckled as well. However, the loudest howl of laughter came from Hogwarts own caretaker.


Harry's laugh and the knowledge about the hard life that the boy has had to live, made Minerva McGonagall decide to take it easy on the cheeky first year before her. She gave a pointed look to the crowd before her and one especially for Hagrid, which effectively silenced the crowd. She then looked to the one in front of her and asked, “Are you done Mr. Black?”


Sirius grinned and nodded. “Yes, my steely eyed goddess.”


To Professor McGonagall’s relief, she was able to lead the first years to the Great Hall without any further incidences. The first years stared in shock at the singing hat that sat in the middle of the Great Hall:


"Oh, you may not think I'm pretty, but don't judge on what you see,
I'll eat myself if you can find a smarter hat than me.

There's nothing hidden in your head the Sorting Hat can't see,
So try me on and I will tell you where you want to be.

You might belong in Gryffindor, where dwell the brave at heart,
Their daring, nerve and chivalry set Gryffindors apart;

You might belong in Hufflepuff, where they are just and loyal,
Those patient Hufflepuffs are true and unafraid of toil;

Or yet in wise old Ravenclaw, if you've a ready mind,
Where those of wit and learning, will always find their kind;

Or perhaps in Slytherin you'll make your real friends,
Those cunning folks use any means to achieve their ends.

So put me on! Don't be afraid! And don't get in a flap!
You're in safe hands for I'm a Thinking Cap!"


Sirius worked hard to keep a calm façade. Inside he was a bundle of nerves, he tried not to think about the possibility that the hat just might decide he wasn't good enough for any house or that someone with a dark heritage like him should not be taught magic.


A few feet away, Harry Potter has similar thoughts. He was worried that the hat would not place him in any house or would find that there was nothing special about him at all. He shuddered at the thought of being sent back to the Dursleys.


Harry looked around at the different professors, and saw Professor Quirrell, the one he had met in Diagon Alley; still the same pale face man that quivered and stuttered. He still wore a turban on his head. Beside Quirell was Professor Snape, a scary-looking man with a hooked nose and shoulder length greasy hair, he taught Potions. Snape caught Harry's eye and glared. Harry winced as he felt a pain struck into his scar.


The Deputy Head-Mistress stifled a groan as she read the next name. “Black, Sirius”


A low murmur traveled in the crowd as Sirius walked over with his head held high. He sat down on the stool and grinned at McGonagall. Before he could utter a word, McGonagall promptly dropped the hat on his head.


"Now what have we got here? Ah yes, a Black. What’s this? You want to be in Slytherin? Cunning you may be, but ambition you have not. I can also see that this is not what you truly want."


Sirius frowned, all Black heirs had always been in Slytherin. He bit his lower lip and wondered if his earlier worries were founded after all.


"Ah, but not all of the Black heirs were sorted into Slytherin. You are more like Nathaniel Black than all of the other Blacks I’ve encountered. Wit and intelligence you have, but you’re not exactly prone to studies. Loyalty, I can also see, but toil is something you try to avoid. There’s only one place for you then...


GRYFFINDOR!”


All eyes widened in shock, low murmurs spread into the crowd. Sirius Black took off the hat and regally walked towards the very edge of the Gryffindor table and sat down miserably.


The brightly lit dining hall that was full of students just a few hours ago, was now empty. The moon shone brightly against the dark backdrop of the night sky. Inside one particular room, the atmosphere is not as tranquil...


Sirius closed the curtains around his bunk as he politely declined Harry Potter’s invitation for a game of Exploding Snap. He could hear Ron Weasley's scathing comment on how a Black thought that he was better than the rest of them. He glared at the red curtains that surrounded his bed as he fumed about gits who do not understand his need to brood. He contemplated on the hat’s words and looked at the wand, which he held in his hand. He took out a familiar leather book and wrote down: Nathaniel Black.


"Tragic Nathaniel of the horses
The only one who fully comprehends our power sources"


A sad young man in his mid-twenties, wearing fourteenth century robes and beret, appeared on the last frame.Sirius yawned as this had been a long day. He placed the book inside his book bag and laid down to sleep.


Harry stared at the closed curtains and wondered how this withdrawn boy had been the same exuberant one hours before. Then again, Harry could understand Sirius’ misery. The glares he received from the Gryffindor table were bad enough without those from the Slytherin table as well. Even the other Gryffindor first years, who had found Black’s earlier antics funny, chose not to sit near Sirius. For they fear that that act would earn the ire of their seniors. Upon his arrival to the Gryffindor table, Harry was first pulled aside by Neville and Hermione as they congratulated him. Later he had a found it difficult to get away from all his fellow Gryffindors. By the time he was able to reach the end of the table, Sirius Black had already left. Professor McGonagall brought Sirius to the Gryffindor common room. Sirius claimed that he was in the Owlery and had gotten lost on the way back.


Later that night Harry dreamt. He walked in a dark corridor,and in the middle of the corridor was a stool. Atop the stool was Professor Quirell’s turban. He approached the stool as he did in the sorting ceremony, and placed the turban atop his head. A voice emanated from the turban, it continuously told him that he must transfer to Slytherin, because this was his destiny. Harry told the turban he did not want to be in Slytherin; it got heavier and heavier; he tried to pull it off, but it tightened painfully. And then, there was Malfoy, who laughed at him. Harry continued to struggle with the turban. Then Malfoy turned into the hook-nosed Professor Snape, who gave a menacingly low laugh. A figure from the shadows emerged. Harry saw that it was Sirius Black. He called for Black to help him, but Sirius just crumpled to the ground and screamed in pain. Then a burst of green light enveloped them all. Harry woke up, he shirt damp in sweat and shivered slight as he tried to shake the memory away.


-End of Chapter Four -


The Sorting Hat Song was taken straight out of JK Rowling's Philosopher's Stone.


Next Chapter: The fate of the Marauders and Regulus Black would be revealed (Yes, Remus Lupin will be on the next chapter and future ones as well). Of course Sirius will also have to pull a few pranks. Who will he drag along to be his partner-in-crime? ^_^


A/N: I promise the next chapter will be longer and more eventful that this one ^_^