Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Black Chronicles - An Ancient Legacy by the nutty imp

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +

Black Chronicles


Acknowledgements:
First of all I would like to thank Orlaith and AbnormallyAbnormal for editing this chapter


Special thanks to SeriousSiriusFan for Operation Snivellus Vampirous.


Chapter 8 “ House Divided


On his hand was a conical glass artefact with green sand inside. He flipped it over to examine the familiar brass dial at the bottom. The artefact began to glow and he felt it slip through his fingers. A soft green light surrounded him; cold yet comforting, it was as if it promised him a better time. A better fate.


SIRIUS!”


A few feet away he saw Regulus desperately reach out for him, but this was not the Regulus he remembered. This Regulus was older, far older and Sirius felt the sadness and regret that emanated from the man. He tried to reach out and take his brother with him, but he grasped only air.


Regulus!”


The light cleared and Sirius was once again alone in the dark room. Fog rose from the old wooden floorboards beneath his feet. The fog grew thicker until Sirius could not even see his hands in front of him. He heard strong footsteps
that seemed vaguely familiar coming from his right. The fog slowly cleared as his turned towards the source of those footsteps. He was no longer in a room but upon a dark rocky plain, and in front of him was his father.


Dad?”


You are a disgrace! A traitor to all that the Blacks stand for! You’ve ruined the Black family name!”


That name has already been ruined. My being in Gryffindor has nothing to do with it!”


Power and ambition has always been what being a Black is all about. You had a chance to redeem our family and remind everyone of that fact, and you’ve failed.”


From a distance Sirius could hear Lucius’ voice: “You remember, boy, that NOBODY wants you. Even that blood traitor cousin of yours, Andromeda, wants nothing to do with you because you’re far worse than a blood traitor! You’re filth! The whole wizard community wants nothing to do with you!”


Sirius turned around and ran until he came upon a man, who had his back turned from Sirius. The man’s right hand softly stroked the soft mane of a dark horse with a single spiky horn on its forehead, his left had laid upon the creature’s neck in an affectionate manner. This man was young yet he possessed a quiet and dignified air about him, his attire was reminiscent of the renaissance era.


Nathaniel?”


"There was a time when a Black was not dark: power and ambition did not define us. Power, we’ve always had, Aris’s gift, as I have foolishly called it. I tried to understand why we were chosen and the root of it all... The rest of my family embraced and guarded it jealously, they lusted for it... I never saw this coming ... I was a fool, it was not a gift - it’s a curse. Power corrupts, it had made us strong, yet it can destroy us...” The man sighed. “... It had killed me.”


The man turned around and Sirius gasped as he saw blood running from a stab wound on Nathaniel’s chest. A dagger was still embedded on his chest; it contained the Black family crest. “His blood runs in your veins. Will you be strong? Will you be able to fight the darkness that has enveloped them all? Best it be destroyed, else it destroys you!”


Sirius stepped back in fear, “I’m not like them! Please, I don’t want to be...”


It has come; the fate of the Blacks hangs in a balance
Dear Sirius, to darkness or to light will you dance
With you, I believe light has a better chance


Sirius was relieved to hear a voice was at first unfamiliar to his ear but strangely felt recognizable at the same time as well. “Aris!” The elderly Greek ancestor sat atop a large black horse; the horse had eerie red eyes and smoke coming out of its nostrils.


One, you’ve already met
Will you have the strength to complete the set?
Or will darkness trap you within its net.
The outcome, I have to see yet.


Sirius stepped further back. “Please, stop the riddles and just tell me what I have to do!”


Secrets of the past
Unravel them you must
Seek them out, for it is your task
That’s all I ask, of the Black’s last


Sirius took another step back and felt himself fall into a deep abyss.


SIRIUS!” This time it was Harry’s voice he heard, but he could not stop himself from falling deeper. A soft blue light appeared above him, Sirius saw that it was a portal with Seidon at the other end, his hands outstretched in an attempt to reach him. However Sirius still continued to fall. Suddenly a hideous creature of skin and bones with bat-like wings swooped towards him.


Sirius woke up with a start, his shirt dampened with sweat. He breathed in deeply and tried to forget the nightmares. Maybe he should stay away from that book for a while; he reached toward his bureau and was surprised to find that the book was missing. Sirius frowned and started under his bed and bureau but still found nothing.


He looked around and saw that his roommates were still asleep. His eyes narrowed towards the right side of the room where the Weasley Twins slept, the two most probable suspects. Sirius smiled evilly. 'The twins will be in for a scare,' he thought.


-0-


You can’t be serious?”


Sirius looked solemnly at George, “I am serious and I don’t mean Sirius. Of course that theory has not been tested in centuries, and the last thief only had the book for 12 hours.”


Fred looked shocked, “But I thought the ministry banned those sort of protection spells.”


“You forgot, that the book is ancient, it was created before there were such rules, so hand it over ... I don’t want it in my conscience when you guys lose the ability to have children,” Sirius smirked for the twins obviously believed his wild story.


George shook his head “A eunuch ... I’m curious though...What if the one who stole it is a girl?”


“I for one hope Snape took it, although it would be interesting if Percy was the one.” Fred said as he stiffled a laugh.


Both twins rolled over with laughter.


Sirius eyed them calmly, “Time is a-wasting you two... Just hand it over before...”


George’s eyes widened, “It wasn’t us!”


A pillow suddenly flew towards their direction. “Black! Fred! George! Shut up you blistering morons! People are trying to sleep here! It’s a Sunday morning! Go talk loudly someplace else!”


Behind close curtains, Harry moaned, “Thanks a lot Ron. I think you should follow your own advice.”


Don’t blame us!” Fred raised his hands in protest.


Sirius was looking for this cursed book of his...”


Harry groaned, “Have any one of you ever heard of this THING called ‘the Summoning Charm’?”


Sirius grinned, “Good Idea!” He was about to raise his wand when Fred stopped him. “No wait! I want to know who’ll end up a eunuch. Let’s use a locating charm instead.”


Sirius smirked, “No one’s going to become a eunuch. I made that story up.”


You WHAT?”


Harry and Ron groaned at the loud ‘crash’ that was heard on the right side of their room. For both Weasley twins jumped on Sirius Black and a mock scuffle ensured.


-0-


Neville Longbottom sighed and wondered where he went wrong. He had thought Harry and Ron to be his friends. After all, they had both stood up for him against Draco Malfoy, but now Sirius Black had turned both boys against him. Neville may not have proof, but he knew that the Blacks were famous for their cunning. Sirius Black must have framed him but for what purpose? And why him?


Neville thought hard on this and decided that it was maybe because his family was the modern-day enemies of the Blacks. His parents were the ones who gathered enough evidence to expose the family’s strong involvement with You-Know-Who. His late grandmother was a journalist, and had never been afraid to tell the truth on the atrocities committed by the Blacks.


Neville pulled open his curtains and was surprised to see an unfamiliar book on his bureau. He gasped as he saw the Black family crest on it, he reached out and hesitated, however curiosity won out. He flipped the book open only to find it empty. A beam of light suddenly entered the room and landed on the book.


This way everyone!”


The door slammed open, standing by the recently opened doorway were two identical boys with bright red hair, one of them held a wand from which the beam of light originated. Behind them were three other boys.


Great! Not only is he a coward, but a thief as well,” Ron hissed.


Sirius Black marched into the room and grabbed the book away from Neville.


Neville jumped up to defend himself. “I didn’t take it! I found it on my bureau!” He lifted his hand and pointed at Sirius Black, “He must have planted it here. Can’t any of you see he’s manipulating you! He wants to turn you all against me.”


You’re pathetic, you know that Longbottom?” Sirius drawled and raised his wand, “And I have this great urge to...”


Harry placed a hand on Sirius’ shoulder, “Sirius, don’t. Let’s just get out of here.”


Fred glared at Neville, “Longbottom, the only one who’s turning people against you is yourself.”


“We’re not letting him get away with this, are we?” Ron protested.


George supported his brother, “Yeah, we ought to hex him or something.”


Harry spent his life being clouted by Dudley and bullied by both Aunt Petunia and Uncle Vernon; after being the tail end of such treatments, he had vowed he would not be anything like them. Five against one were not fair odds, so Harry decided to take a higher ground. He hoped to convince his already angered roommates to do the same.


“We shouldn’t stoop ourselves to his level.” However, Harry saw that his roommates were not going to back off easily, he decided to use a different tactic, “...besides I’m not in a hurry to lose house points.”


You’re right, Longbottom is not worth it,” Ron relented; Fred and George nodded in agreement.


As the five boys left, Sirius Black turned around and smiled. “You got off easy for now Longbottom, ’till the next time then...” He turned back towards the door and sauntered off.


Neville felt all his roommates’ curious eyes on him as he suppressed a shudder, for Sirius Black had just thrown a threat; Neville Longbottom was terrified.


-0-


Severus Snape was not having a good day. He wished he could wipe off that smug expression on Madam Pomfrey’s face. However, he knew that he should not say anything at present, for the hag would likely refuse to treat him if he managed to offend her too much. Severus growled; it was bad enough that Lupin was the one who found him unconscious, blackened and bloated in front of the dungeon. Lupin made things worse when he called Diggory to go and fetch Pomfrey. That Hufflepuff 4th year had probably told half the school by now. To say that this was a bad day for Severus Snape would be an understatement.


-0-


Albus Dumbledores eyes twinkled in amusement as the Slytherin students found themselves stuck on their chairs. A few minutes earlier, everyone had been surprised to find all the tables and chairs stuck to the ceiling. He chuckled merrily.


A soggy Professor Quirrel had entered the hall earlier with his turban in disarray, his hands held the dilapidated turban in place. The Defense Against Dark Arts Professor was hysterical, and stuttered about the school being under attack by a malevolent spirit named Spawn; the spirit that tried to drown him and attacked Professor Snape as well. Albus held in his hand, a small pink card; he flipped the card over and chuckled. Beside him, Minerva McGonagall stared at him incredulously, and some distance away Remus Lupin attempted to hold back his laughter.


-0-


This Sunday night was not the usual quiet night at Hogwarts. Students congregated in their common rooms to discuss the activities of this new secret club, as well as speculate on the identities of its members. Meanwhile, inside his quarters, Professor Severus Snape stared at the mirror and screamed in frustration.


-0-


Ron’s head was on his pillow and he counted all the tiny cracks on the ceiling. A particular pesky roommate interrupted him in mid-count.


Hey guys, I have an idea!”


Ron groaned and grumbled, “No Permanent Sticking Charms, Black.”


I wasn’t going to suggest that. I was just thinking about how Quirrell is deathly afraid of vampires.”


This got Fred and George’s attention. “Are we going to fill his room with vampire bats?”


From his bunk, Sirius shook his head. “No, that lacks originality. We are going to make him and the rest of the gullible student body believe that Snivellus is one!”


“How are we going to do that?” Harry asked, curious to hear what Sirius was up to now.


Sirius smirked. “Fred and George will tell everyone that Snivellus is a vampire.”


George grinned as he caught on. “And all that grease on his hair is used to protect him from sunlight!”


Fred laughed as he got into the idea as well. “And how he sucks the blood of students assigned to detention with him, then uses an obliviating charm to make them forget the incident.”


Harry smiled as he too joined in. “After which the victims will forever be under the vampire’s control. Since Sirius just got detention with him last week, I’ll just say that he sometimes blacks out and acts out of character, especially
when Snape is around.”


“And Sirius would act like the model student that he isn’t during Potions, to further prove our point. We can also charm some bats to follow Snape around too,” Ron finished with a grin.


“Then Phase 2 of Operation Snivellus Vampirious can commence!” Sirius gave a bark-like laugh and rolled off his bed.


Ron blinked. “Phase 2?”


Sirius smirked. “Since when do my plans not have a Phase 2?”


-0-


Neville dreaded Monday mornings such as this. The first class of the day would be Potions with the Slytherins. To make matters worse, the feared five, as Neville now called Sirius and his group, were snickering all morning. Draco was at least a straight forward enemy; Sirius Black, on the other hand, was subtle and sly. Neville wondered what sort of dark trick the boy used to get the Sorting Hat to place him in Gryffindor. To make matters worse, he just heard a rumor that his most feared Professor might actually be a vampire. Hermione of course scoffed at the idea, but Neville vowed to himself, that he would avoid detentions with Snape.


Beside Neville, some third year students were deep in discussion.


“And those bats following him around, it’s like how minions pay tribute their vampire lord...”


Fred and George, when they had overheard the said discussion, could not help but toss in an insult of their own, “We’ve always thought that he’s slightly batty.”


-0-


As usual, Hermione Granger was the first student to arrive in class and she was surprised to see Professor Severus Snape wearing a fluffy pink hat with feather and glitter all over. It sort of reminded Hermione of those flamboyant things that Las Vegas Showgirls wore. “Professor? Why are you wearing...?”


Snape glared at the nosy girl in front of him, “The rule about not being allowed to wear a hat inside the classroom only applies to students, Miss Granger. Now take your seat before I deduct any points from Gryffindor.”


Hermione’s jaw dropped, but she quickly recovered and took her seat at the very front of the room. She then signalled all her fellow Gryffindors who entered, to shut up and not ask about Snape’s weird hat. The Slytherins who entered knew better than to ask, as they were often on the receiving end of the Potions Professor’s dark glares.


Sirius Black then sauntered in, followed by Harry Potter and Ron Weasley. Snape smirked evilly, “Mr. Black, I’m sure you’ve already heard from your cousin, from now on you will sit beside Mr. Malfoy, and I expect you to be on your best behavior.” Sirius was about to protest but he remembered his role for their vampire prank so he merely nodded, and proceeded towards the Slytherins’ side of the room. Students from both Gryffindor and Slytherin stared in shock, for they had expected for Sirius to at least protest. Somehow Sirius’ reaction only confirmed the rumors of Snape’s unnatural hold over the boy.


Sirius held back a curse as he sat down beside Draco, knowing that it would not take long before the ‘Weasley Tail Growth formula’ would also affect him. From across the room, Harry and Ron were holding back their laughter as one of Sirius’ pranks backfired on him.


-0-


Because this is the song that doesn’t end.
Yes it goes on and on my head.
Some people started singing it, not knowing what it was...


Albus Dumbledore was carrying a tray of honking daffodils and a chanting cheery blossom. Professor Sprout was quite delighted and eager when Dumbledore asked to keep these singing plants for himself. Albus hummed along with the plants when a small crowd of hysterical first years ran up to him. Albus raised an eyebrow, for half of them where sporting various types of tails.


Headmaster, save us!”


I’m too young to die!”


I don’t want to end up his slave for eternity!”


Professor Quirrel fainted and he’s still back there! He just might suck him dry!”


Albus looked around and saw Ron Weasley, who attempted to hold back his laughter; Harry Potter, who looked slightly guilty; and finally Sirius Black, who looked nonchalant and bored. However, the black dog-like tail that he now sported wagged merrily and therefore betrayed his mirth.


“Miss Granger, would you care to explain?”


Hermione bit her lower lip. “Sir, there’s a rumor going around that Professor Snape is a vampire.”


What do you mean, a rumour! He is a vampire and we saw those teeth, so did poor Professor Quirrell and he...”


Hermione glared at the boy who interrupted and continued, “While we were bottling our potions, Quirrell came by and suddenly the guy fainted...”


Snape must have cast some sort of vampire spell on him!”


Do you mind?” Hermione glared at the crowd once again. “Snape turned towards us and asked someone to get Pomfrey. He had sharp animal-like fangs, and everyone screamed and ran out of the room. I don’t see why, except that he looked ridiculous with that pink head-dress and fangs. It’s probably the work of S.P.A.W.N.”


Albus Dumbledore’s blue eyes twinkled in amusement, but he held back a chuckle and smiled towards the gathered first years. “I assure everyone that Professor Snape is no vampire, and that our resident pranksters were merely keeping themselves busy. I advise all of you to hurry up and prepare for your first flying lessons.”


Draco Malfoy glared at the snickering Gryffindors, “Headmaster, what about these tails?”


Step right up folks, get your 'Weasley Tail Growth Formula' over here! One of the official sponsors of S.P.A.W.N.’s extraordinary pranks. A mere 35 knuts!”


We provide the counter solution as well for only 20 knuts!”


Albus Dumbledore smiled, as the Weasley twins were quick to set up a booth. Ron and Harry had already dragged Sirius Black towards the said booth.


But I want to keep this tail!”


No way, Black! That damn tail of yours wags too hard and it keeps hitting me on the leg.”


But it’s MY tail!”


Albus Dumbledore smiled for he understood Sirius’ sentiments exactly. After all, a tail is not such a bad thing to have.


-0-


Sirius Black rolled over with laughter as Neville Longbottom fell off his broom and broke his wrist.


Harry glared at his friend, for it was not funny. Draco and the Slytherins joined in Sirius’ laughter.


Madam Hooch helped Neville to his feet. “Settle down everyone, I’ll take Mr. Longbottom to the hospital wing. The rest of you, please stay put and don’t try anything.”


When Hooch had left, Draco smugly walked over to Neville’s things and took the Remembrall. “I believe that fall might addle Longbottom’s fragile brains even more. I wonder how he’ll survive without this.”


Harry marched over to Draco. “Hand it back over Draco. That doesn’t belong to you.”


Draco Malfoy grinned evilly, “Come and get it if you can, Potter.” He flew into the air on his broom and started to taunt Harry. “What’s the matter Potter, afraid? Never rode a broom before?


Harry angrily grabbed a broom.


Hermione Granger tried to stop him, “Harry don’t. Madam Hooch specifically told us to stay put. You could get hurt up there.”


More importantly, Longbottom is not worth it,” Sirius added.


Harry ignored them and took off after Draco.


From the corner of his eye, Sirius saw that Crabbe and Goyle were about to assist Draco. He grabbed a giant acorn on the ground and hurled it toward Crabbe’s head. As Crabbe fell face first towards the ground, Goyle had gotten up on a broom and was about to fly off. Sirius grabbed a stick on the ground and shouted, “Ron, toss me that acorn!” Sirius hit the acorn with the stick and it struck Goyle straight at his forehead, which made the large first year
fall two feet to the ground.


Meanwhile, fifty feet up in the air, Harry dove and he caught the Remembrall before it hit the ground.


Mr. Potter!”


Harry felt his heart dropped to his stomach as Professor McGonagall marched up towards them. Sirius made a futile attempt to distract the Deputy Headmistress.


Minerva! How nice to see you today.”


I’m not in the mood, Mr. Black. By the way, good arm.”


The better to hug you with, my dear.”


Are you in the mood for some more detention, Mr. Black?”


The better to spend time with you, my dear.”


Mr. Black, if you don’t shut your mouth...”


The better to kiss yo-mmpphhhh!”


Ron decided that it was bad enough that one of his friends’ in trouble; he didn’t want both of them to be in trouble. He shoved one of Harry’s chocolate frogs into Sirius’ mouth. “Sorry Professor, the poor guy is still grieving about his lost tail, and umm... he’s dealing with the grief by ...ahh ..quoting the big bad wolf...so...”


Minerva McGonagall held back an urge to roll her eyes at the both boys’ silly attempts to get a friend out of trouble. “I don’t want to hear about it, Mr. Weasley. Mr. Potter, come with me.”


-0-


Harry had never been this excited in his whole life, he couldn’t wait to tell Sirius and Ron. He grinned as he saw that the two saved him a seat. “You guys won’t believe what happened.”


Ron’s eyes widened. “You’re not in trouble?”


“Minerva finally admitted her love for me?” Sirius supplied with a smirk.


Harry laughed. “Better! You’re both looking at Gryffindor’s newest seeker.”


What!” Draco Malfoy had overheard the tail end of the conversation and was gaping at Harry.


Harry gave the Slytherin boy a smug grin, “And I have you to thank for that, Malfoy.”


Draco glared at Harry. “You should be expelled for that stunt Potter, not rewarded. Goes to show that Gryffindors’ stupidity is catching even to Professors.”


Ron glared angrily at Draco. “At least we’re not cowardly gits like you, Malfoy!”


“Very well, Weasley, since we’re talking about bravery... Are you and Potter brave enough for a midnight wizard’s duel?” Draco drawled with his arms crossed.


Ron continued to glare at the blond Slytherin boy. “You’re on Malfoy!”


Hermione Granger who was within hearing range gasped, “That’s illegal and a grounds for...” she was interrupted by Sirius Black “Hey what about me?”


You’re not invited Black, I’m only interested in putting half bloods and Weasley trash in their place. Mudbloods are however welcomed to join, Granger.” Draco saw that the Gryffindor Quidditch team were about to approach the group. “Seems we ought not to continue this interesting conversation, I’ll see you both later.” At this, he and his two constant companions turned and left.


-0-


Sirius Black was stuck in his room, for Ron and Harry had insisted that he stay behind, else Draco would just use Sirius’ presence as an excuse to not push through his with challenge. He heard his roommates enter the room. He quickly pulled open the curtains, stood up and placed leather book inside his trunk and then turned towards his friends. “Well, what happened?”


Harry sighed and proceeded to tell his friend on how Hermione tried to stop them and, due to unfortunate circumstances forced to tag along, they bumped into Neville. Draco never showed up. Filch chased them until they found themselves lost in a corridor; it was the forbidden corridor on the third floor, and was guarded by a humongous dog with three heads, standing over a trapdoor.


That night as Harry lay on his bed, he realized that the only place more secure and safe than Gringotts was Hogwarts. He now believed that the little package from the vault was located under the trapdoor.


-0-


Two months went by and Harry could hardly believe how comfortable he felt at Hogwarts. He was busy with classes, S.P.A.W.N., Quidditch practice, and mastering magic. Today they would be taking up the floatation charm, he grinned towards Sirius and Ron for they’re all quite familiar with this charm due to all the pranks S.P.A.W.N. pulled.


As they head for charms class, Professor Quirrell screamed by with his turban on fire. Harry held back a laugh as the Weasley Twins were back in business. For the past month they had abstained from pranking because all the prefects and Professors had suspected them to be behind the pranks pulled by S.P.A.W.N. However, he, Sirius and Ron continued to pull the most outrageous pranks, clearing the Weasley Twins from any further suspicion.


-0-


Wingardium Leswordslash!”


Neville Longbottom yelped as a sharp feather flew by his nose and embedded itself onto the wall.


Mr. Black!”


Sirius gave Professor Flitwick an innocent grin. “Sorry professor, I must have gotten that one wrong.”


It’s ‘Wingardium Leviosa’ and you wave your wand like this,” Hermione Granger demonstrated, “Wingardium Leviosa!”


Professor Flitwick beamed as Hermione’s feather floated up in the air perfectly. “Very good, Miss Granger five points for Gryffindor! Would you kindly demonstrate that to the class again?”


Sirius rolled his eyes as he waved his wand. “Wingardium Lebouncesa!”


Sirius’ feather flew straight towards Hermione, who yelped as it bounced off her head and it ricocheted straight at Neville who screamed. All students started to duck away from Sirius’ bouncing feather.


Mr. Black!”


Sorry Professor, I must have gotten it wrong again.” Sirius then aimed his wand towards his bouncing feather. “Wingardium Leviosa!” Much to Flitwick’s relief the feather stopped bouncing and floated up the air.


Good aim, Mr. Black.”


Professor, he’s doing that on purpose. Black’s been picking on Neville for months.”


Sirius rolled his eyes and drawled, “Really Granger, just because I do better than you most of the time, doesn’t mean I have to do a spell perfectly all the time.”


You’ve never liked Neville, that’s why you pick on him!”


Granger, I don’t like Neville because he’s a cowardly thief!”


How dare you! You can’t accuse someone without the burden of proof.”


One you want facts Granger? Let me tell you some facts about yourself then. First, you’re a pompous know-it-all and thus the second fact that no one really likes you.”


Hermione’s jaw dropped. Neville bit his lip, afraid of facing Sirius Black head on.


Sirius smirked. “See? No one is standing to defend you. Not even your cowardly so-called friend. So is he really your friend? Do you truly have any?”


Ron grinned. “Way to go Black! About bloody time someone told her off!”


Mr. Black! Mr. Weasley! That is enough!”


Hermione’s eyes widened as she saw that everyone’s attention had been focused on her and Sirius. She bowed her head and kept her silence for the rest of the class.


After class Harry saw Hermione leave the class in tears, he shook his head as Sirius had gone too far once again. He pulled his friends aside. “Sirius, that was uncalled for.”


She started it!”


Ron nodded in ascent. “I can attest to that.”


Harry raised an eyebrow. “You mean to say, you really made some mistakes in casting those floatation charms?”


Sirius relented. “Ok, if you put it that way. She doesn’t have proof that I did that on purpose, thus making her just as guilty as those accusations she threw at me.”


But you did.”


Harry!” Sirius whined.


Come on Harry, give the guy a break. Neville was the one who started this war.” Ron protested.


And Hermione only defended Neville, as we had defended Sirius.”


Ron frowned. “Well she took the wrong side and she even tried to get Sirius in trouble.”


Because Sirius was truly picking on Neville.”


Sirius moaned. “Whose side are you on anyway?”


Sirius, its ok to defend yourself or to pull a few harmless pranks but sometimes you have to draw the line on people who can’t defend themselves.”


Ron moaned. “I’m telling you, Harry’s been spending too much time with Lupin.”


Sirius grumbled. “It’s not my fault that Longbottom’s a coward.”


Hermione was only trying to defend Neville. Is that wrong?”


Ron grumbled, “She should have minded her own business.”


Then what kind of friend would she be?”


Sirius opened his mouth but couldn’t find an answer and mumbled, “She’ll get over it.”


Hermione Granger did not show up in the next couple of classes and Sirius heard that she had locked herself in the bathroom and had been crying for the past couple of hours. Guilt started to gnaw down onto him. He walked up to Ron and Harry. “Guys, I think I should go look for Hermione.”


Harry beamed, for he knew Sirius would eventually come to his senses.


Ron frowned. “Want me to come with you? After all I did sort of encourage you back there.”


No. I think it’ll be best if I talk to her alone.”


Ok we’ll see you later. Good luck.”


-0-


Alohomora”


The bathroom door swung open, he saw a red-eyed Hermione glaring at him.


Go away, Black. I don’t want to listen to anymore of your damn facts!”


Granger, I ... uhmm ... actually came here to ...uhh... talk.


Leave me alone! Go back to picking on Neville. I’m not up for it anymore.”


You don’t mean that. I mean, you don’t honestly want me to pick on Longbottom, do you?


Like you care?”


Actually, I do. I admire people who stand up for friends despite everything. I’ve got Harry and Ron. Despite the fact that he doesn’t deserve it, Longbottom’s got a good friend in you.”


Hermione blinked and stared at Sirius. “But, you said ... and he didn’t even...”


Sirius smirked. “Since when does anyone ever give any credence to anything I say? You should know better. Aren’t you the one who said that I’m an idiot in the purest sense?”


Hermione laughed. “You know Black, you actually sound intelligent once you get serious."


Sirius grinned. “Siriusly?”


Hermione rolled her eyes. “I knew it was too good to be true, you’re reverting back to idiocy.”


Sirius laughed. “You know I haven’t been to the girl’s bathroom before. You won’t mind if I do some exploring?”


Hermione groaned. “You are an idiot in the purest sense.”


Sirius gave a formal bow. “My family’s motto has always been 'Toujours Pur'.” Sirius proceeded to open the door to one of the stalls and peered in. Hermione screamed.


Sirius examined the stall and wondered what was so special about the girl’s bathroom, when Hermione screamed and the stall walls went crashing down on top of him. Everything then went black.


-0-


Professor Quirrel ran into the hall. “He-headmaster! The-there’s a-a-a Tro-troll lose in-in the du-dungeons!”


McGonagall’s eyes widened. “Prefects lead everyone back into their dormitories and stay together! All head of the house will accompany their students. Remus, take over for Gryffindor.”


Harry held back a smile as he imagined the idiotic lines Sirius would have fed Professor McGonagall at hearing this. He suddenly felt a cold dread, and worried about Sirius and Hermione. They wouldn’t know of the troll and might be in danger.


-0-


Harry pushed Ron back and held his breath. Professor Snape walked by; but he did not notice the two boys hiding behind a column


Ron hissed, “What is he doing here? Isn’t he supposed to be with the Slytherins?”


Ron do you smell that?”


Ron gulped. “Must be the troll ... come on.”


As both boys turned the corner they heard a scream.


That must be Hermione. Come on!”


-0-


Minerva McGonagall examined Sirius Black when the boy groaned. “Mr. Black? How do you feel?”


Sirius blinked, looking a bit dazed. After a moment of silence he suddenly gave her a bright smile, “Minerva, my angel. Have you come to take me with you?”


McGonagall sighed. “That means he’s fine.” Behind her Remus Lupin chuckled. McGonagall glared at the History Professor. “Remus, take the boy to Pomfrey. I would like to have a word with these three.”


Remus nodded and conjured a stretcher for the boy. Sirius looked curiously around the bathroom and asked, “What the hell happened? For the record, I didn’t do this!”


-0-


Why did you do it?” Ron asked.


Hermione sighed. “Because she’s bound to take it easier on me than either of you.”


Harry smiled at the girl. “Thanks Hermione.”


Yeah, you’re alright after all. Want to join us and see if Sirius managed to drive Madam Pomfrey over the edge?”


Hermione laughed. “Gladly.”


-0-


Sirius grumbled as Madam Pomfrey refused to let him leave. Grey eyes twinkled mischievously as an evil idea formed inside his head. If things went as planned, it wouldn't be long before the nurse would gladly throw him out. He pulled out his wand and began to switch the labels of the 'Sleeping Draughts' and 'Pepperup Potions'.


Sirius was about to pull the 2nd stage of his plan, when his attention was caught by an awful looking brown substance in a smoking bottle. His curiousity piqued, he picked up the substance and wrinkled his nose. "I wonder if this thing tastes as bad as it smells and looks," he mused to himself.


-0-


George grinned as he and his brother carried the toilet seat towards their destination, behind them were Harry, Ron and Hermione. The Weasley Twins were surprised to hear Madame Pomfrey scream at Sirius, for the motherly nurse rarely screamed at her beloved students.


"Mr. Black! Do you have any idea what you've almost did!"


"But I only wanted to know what that thing is..."


Hermione sighed for as she expected, Sirius was once again being an idiot.


"That thing could have poisoned you! You ought to know better than to try and taste unknown potions!"


"But, we're in an infirmary, I don't think you'd leave poisonous substances out in the open. So what is it?"


Pompey Pomfrey sighed for the boy is incorrigible. "You, young man, will be under observation and will stay the night here."


"But I barely had a drop!"


The nurse then noticed the Sirius' guests by the door. "Get that toilet seat out of my infirmary! That's unhygienic!"


Seeing the nurse's bad mood Fred hesitated, "We, uh... just wanted to see if Sirius needs anything..."


George grinned stupidly. "We thought he might want to come to the bathroom."


Fred gave his brother a discreet nudge and a look that said: 'shut up you moron'.

Sirius grinned. "We if you guys can break me out, I'll be forever grateful."


The nurse glared at Sirius,. "You will be staying here tonight, and no one will be sneaking out." She waved her wand and Sirius found himself stuck on the bed. "This should make sure that you won't be going anywhere."


"Not fair!" Sirius whined.


"Children, please take this to Professor Lupin, and don't try to drink it! Tell him that Professor Snape left it for him." She handed the brown substance to Ron.


Hermione asked. "Maybe, Sirius would want a book..."


Sirius rolled his eyes. "Boring..."


Madame Pomfrey sighed and picked up a 'Sleeping Draught', "Why don't you try drinking this instead?"


Sirius grinned and downed the potion, smoke started to come out of his ears as he gasped. Help!! I'm melting! Its Snape's poison! It must be reacting with that Draught. Help me!!"


Madame Pomfrey's eyes widened in panic, she however noticed the color of the potion that remained in the bottle. Her eyes narrowed into slits as figured out the switch.


"I have but one last request before I die. Unstick me and let me see the stars one last time..." Sirius gasped weakly.

"Very funny Mr. Black. You're quite an actor and a comedian, nice try but not good enough."


Sirius crossed his arms and grumbled. "Everybody's a critic."


-0-


Fred handed Sirius the tawny leather book. “So you never told us why that thing is so important.”


Sirius took the book. “It’s a family heirloom, and a chronicle of the Black Family’s History.”


George rolled his eyes, “Sounds boring.”


-0-


Fred pulled George behind a suit of armor. They were hiding near the entrance of the Slytherin common room. The twins planned to plant dung bombs around that were set to explode at 7:45 AM, when Draco arrived with his two constant companions.


Draco, I don’t think your plan is working. Gryffindor is still ahead in terms of house points.”


Crabbe, I’m surprised that you’re thinking at all. I’ll try to explain again, causing division in a house is the subtle or should I say Slytherin way of destroying the competition.


But I thought your plan was to get Black to intentionally sabotage Gryffindor’s chances.”


Goyle, you moron that was the old plan. Potter ruined it by defending Black, but he gave us the perfect opening by blaming Longbottom. Thus, divide the house to either take Black’s side or Longbottom’s. Kreacher’s planting of that book of Black’s at Longbottom’s desk only served to intensify matters. Too bad Potter ruined it again by stopping a fight that would have lost Gryffindor plenty of house points.”


So what do you plan to do now?”


For the past couple of months I’ve been perfecting this plan and now I...” Draco was interrupted as a house elf suddenly appeared in front of him. “Kreacher! What are you doing here?”


Kreacher senses blood traitors over there.” The house-elf pointed towards the direction of the Weasley twins’ hiding place.


“Draco smirked and grabbed Goyle’s wand and gave it to Kreacher. “You know what to do, Kreacher.”


Both red haired boys started to run when the old and crazy house-elf appeared in front of them.


Obliviate!”


End of Chapter 8-


Next Chapter: The Mystery behind Nathaniel Black and the Black Chronicles


Author’s Notes:


Eunuchs are castrated men who serve as servants and advisers of ancient kings


This chapter deals mostly on canon related events but the next one would concentrate more on the ‘Black Chronicles’ which is one of the focus of my storyline.


Yes Sirius was pretty mean, but as we all know JKR didn't make him out to be the ideal hero. He's arrogant. He and James Potter tend to be bullies who hex people just because they can. But he's still a good person at heart, just not perfect. Hopefully, Harry would be a better influence to Sirius than James was.


Oh, and the potion Sirius was stupid enough to try and taste was the Wolfsbane Potion.