Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Prophecy's Child by Katastrophe

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Animals Within



A/N I own none of this. JRK owns it all.





A very disheveled and bitter Narcissa Malfoy stepped from the shadows as the Potter brat's party passed. She knew there was no going after him for the moment. He was too well-protected, and she could not afford to make the same mistake her husband had and try to capture him on Ministry property.



The Potter brat was responsible for it all. The Ministry had seized the accounts at Gringotts, the house, everything. It was as if they were trying to put her and Draco out in the streets. Narcissa had turned to the Dark Lord for help, but grudgingly.



Her sister, Bellatrix, had been throwing that little tidbit of information up in her face every chance that she got. Bella had always been like that, even as a child. She had been a spiteful child and had gotten worse as she grew older. The spitefulness had turned into absolute cruelty, which had made Bella a perfect weapon for the Dark Lord. That's all any of them were to the Dark Lord, weapons…. and weapons were expendable.



Lucius had been a faithful servant to the Dark Lord, but once he had been captured, it was as if he were yesterday's news, to be taken to the curb with the rest of the rubbish.



The Dark Lord had forbidden any action against the Potter Brat by anyone other than himself. Narcissa could not see any reason why they could not just remove the little monster from the face of the Earth. She would be more than happy to do the job herself, if only the Dark Lord had not claimed the "honor" himself. What is so honorable about killing a snot-nosed child?



Narcissa knew she could not touch Potter without incurring certain wrath. But no one had said anything about those around him. If she could not kill him for what he had done to Lucius, she could at least make him miserable by touching those closest to him. She left the Ministry of Magic with a twisted, sadistic smile on her face. Those she passed thought she was just overly happy about the outcome of the Umbridge trial.





~*~*~*~*~



The weeks began to fly by. There was very little time for relaxing or just enjoying the summer. After all, they were at war, and there was still so much to learn.



The foursome were walking into the library at Potter Manor and were surprised to see the table that Professor McGonagall had set up for them, complete with cauldrons and ingredients.



"Professor, it isn't time for potions, is it?" Hermione asked, very confused.



"No, Miss Granger, it is not. But there are uses for potions even in Transfiguration. Today, we are going to begin studying human to animal transformation. The potions you will be making are to test the four of you for Animagus abilities. You will work together to create the potion, and then you will all add a piece of your hair to the potions after they are complete," Professor McGonagall explained.



Hermione gasped. Harry and Ginny broke out into big grins. Ron let out a whoop that startled Professor McGonagall and caused them all to laugh.



"We all have an animal inside of us. But not all of us can find the balance or the power to become that animal. In fact, there are not as many Animagi, registered or unregistered, walking around as you may think," Professor McGonagall explained to them as she slowly paced in front of them. "Human to animal transfiguration is one of the most difficult feats one will encounter in this course. And for some, the most difficult they will encounter in a lifetime.



"The potions we will be concocting today will tell us the animal inside each of you, but only if you have the inherent ability needed to make the actual change from human to animal completely. In other words, it will only show if you are gifted to be an Animagi. As we start, please remember that this is not a common gift. If you should not have the gift and someone else does, please do not hold it against them. On the same note, no bragging will be tolerated. Are we ready to begin?" Professor McGonagall looked at them expectantly. When she received affirmative nods from all four, she set about helping them to brew the potions.



Many hours later, the foursome were pouring their potions into small bottles, awaiting the sign from Professor McGonagall to insert the piece of hair that would activate and personalize the potions. When the signal was given, the four plucked one hair from each of their heads and carefully inserted it into their respective vials. Immediately tufts of smoke began to rise from the vials in front of Harry, Ginny, and Ron. Hermione's potion had still not reacted.



While the children were watching for the reactions from their potions, Professor Dumbledore walked softly into the room. He observed the delighted reactions from Harry, Ron, and Ginny. He then looked at Hermione who had tears forming in her eyes.



The smoke above Ron's vial began to take shape. It was forming into that of a miniature lion. Ginny's was next and formed into a miniature tiger. Harry's took the form of a strange shaped bird.



"It would seem that feline forms would run with the Weasley line," said Dumbledore, startling the four children. They had not heard him come in. "This is not uncommon when family members find that they have Animagus forms."



Hermione blushed furiously with a feeling of failure in front of her headmaster and a single tear found it's way down her cheek.



"Not all things have immediate reactions Miss Granger. And not all witches and wizards can become Animagi. It is not seen as a failure in any form," Professor Dumbledore tried to comfort Hermione. Just as he finished saying this, her potion began to slowly spurt puffs of smoke.



Dumbledore's gaze fell to Harry's potion, and what he saw there amazed him. It could not be! There had been no one with a magical Animagus form since Godric Gryffindor. But there it was, in the smoke there before his eyes. Harry's Animagus form was a phoenix.



After Dumbledore exchanged a shocked glance with Professor McGonagall, he walked over to the table. "Ronald, it seems you have a lion within you. Lions have for many centuries been known as symbols of strength and courage," he said as he moved down the table. "Ginevra, you seem to have a tiger before you. Tigers have always been the more passionate of the feline family, always ready for a fight, even if they are not sure they can win," he said to Ginny with a wink before he moved over in front of Harry. "I don't know why I should be surprised Harry," Dumbledore said with a chuckle and a small shake of his head.



"What is it, sir?" Harry asked. "It looks like it is still forming to me."



"Oh no, Harry. It is quite formed. And for the first time since Godric Gryffindor it seems we will have someone with a magical Animagus form. Yours is a phoenix, Harry. Do you not see it rising from the flames?" Harry's face lit up as Dumbledore continued speaking. "I should have known," he said with a laugh. "You've risen from ruin, time and time again, since you were a small child."



Harry blushed at this and looked over at his friends. Ron and Ginny were beaming. Hermione was trying her hardest to look happy for them, while she glanced at her own potion, almost willing it to form anything at this point.



"I think it is time to take a break for tea. We will have it here in the library so that we can see if Hermione's potion forms to an animal for her," Dumbledore said with a gentle smile, leading Hermione away from the table as Dobby popped into the room with tea and sandwiches for everyone.



Conversation was strained as they nibbled on their sandwiches. Ron, Harry, and Ginny were so happy about their results of the Animagus test, but they were also worried for Hermione who looked like she would burst into tears at the slightest provocation.



About halfway through the meal, Professor Dumbledore looked in the direction of the table with the potions on it. He smiled as he saw that the smoke from Hermione's potion had begun to take shape. He gently tapped Hermione's hand to get her attention. Hermione looked at him and then followed his gaze.



She ran over to the table, the others not far behind. The professors came along at a more leisurely pace. Professor McGonagall gave a sigh of relief as she saw an owl formed in the smoke above Hermione's potion.



"It would seem, Hermione, that you have an owl in you. Owls have always been the sign of wisdom.," Dumbledore said softly. A realization struck him. "Strength, Wisdom, Passion, and Magic. It would seem the four of you are well matched," he said with a smile and a twinkle in his eye.



"I think we are done for today," Professor McGonagall said with a relieved smile. She had been very tense during the development of Hermione's potion. Hermione had always been one of her favorite students, -- not that she would let anyone else know that, of course. "Tomorrow you will have off; the day after, we will resume working."



All four students groaned until they saw her eyebrows rise. They then accepted her statement, gathered their things and ran from the room before she could assign any homework.



The professors laughed at the antics of the four children.



"I have to admit, Albus," said Professor McGonagall, "I was most worried about Hermione. If her potion had not formed, that could have been a setback from which she might not have recovered."



"She is stronger than you think, Minerva. Each of them is. Excellent choice on doing this today. It was a wonderful birthday present to Harry," Dumbledore said with a smile.



"My worry was that of ruining his day if nothing formed for him or the others. But they had to be tested. This may turn out to be an advantage for them in this war," Professor McGonagall said as she cleaned up the mess the children had left behind. "Shall we go prepare for the party? Do you think he will be surprised?"



"I doubt if he even remembers what today is. But I have learned that he has never had a birthday party before, much less a surprise party. We'll make sure this is a day he always remembers," said Dumbledore as he held out his arm to Professor McGonagall. She took his arm, and together they left the library.



~*~*~*~



The foursome ran up the stairs and separated to go to their rooms to drop off their books. Ginny was the first one back out in the hall. She impatiently tapped her foot while waiting for the others to emerge from their rooms.



Ginny began to wander a bit down the hall and found herself in front of the nursery. She gingerly stepped into the room, watching the clouds roll by on the far wall. Ginny turned and gave a closer look at the pictures on the walls. The pictures of Harry's paternal grandparents smiled at her and waved. Ginny looked closely at Harry's grandfather. He had the same dark, unruly hair that Harry did, interspersed with gray. Ginny realized that this is what Harry would look like in about 30 years.



Her eyes searched the room until she found the picture of Lily. Lily looked so young in the picture, smiling and waving in the direction of the crib. She tore her eyes away from the picture and continued to look around the room.



Lily and James had put so much love and care into the decorating of this room. They had truly adored their son and had wanted him surrounded by that love. Ginny's eyes fell on the crib. Even this seemed to be made just for Harry. The light green bedding would have brought out the startling emerald color of his eyes so perfectly. She reached for the cream-colored teddy bear and held it to her chest. She turned to the picture of Lily, wiped a tear that had rolled down her cheek and said, "I think you would be so proud of him, Mrs. Potter."



She walked back into the hall, still carrying the teddy bear in her arm.



"Ginny, what's that you've got there?" Harry said as he walked up behind her. She turned slowly, and he saw the bear in her arms. He looked up into her eyes to see the unshed tears there. "Hey, what's wrong, love?"



"I was just thinking how different things could have been for you. I was thinking how proud your parents must be looking down and watching you," said Ginny, another tears finding its way slowly down her cheek.



He hugged her close and then lifted her chin to kiss her gently. He lost himself in that kiss, holding on to the love and fire he felt emanating from her. He reluctantly broke away and looked into the amber depths of her eyes. "I adore you, Ginny," he whispered, his eyes never leaving hers.



"Well you had better, Harry. Especially after a kiss like that," Ginny replied, the twinkle back in her eyes.



"Oi, mate! Do that somewhere else! On second thought, I don't want to think about you two doing that anywh...OOOF," Ron exclaimed as Hermione's elbow jabbed him in the ribs.



"Hi, you two!" Hermione said with a small giggle.



Harry and Ginny laughed and turned toward Ron and Hermione. "OH! What an adorable bear," Hermione said.



Ginny looked down at the bear in her arms and apologetically up at Harry.



"It's okay, Gin. It may have been mine once, but it is yours now if you want it," Harry told her quietly, locking eyes with her once more. Ginny just smiled, turned, and ran to her room to put the bear gently on her pillows.



"Why can't you ever do something romantic like that Ron?" Hermione said as she stormed off down the hall towards the steps.



Ron gave a confused look to Harry and ran off after Hermione. Harry laughed until Ginny came back from her room. After telling her what happened, they both laughed a little harder as they walked down the hall to catch up the other two.



They followed the sounds of Hermione and Ron arguing into the backyard and spent the afternoon enjoying a bit of sunshine and laughter, with only a few arguments from Ron and Hermione.



*~*~*~*



Two hours later, they heard Mrs. Weasley calling them in for dinner. The foursome had worked up an appetite, with tickle fights, running, and playing in the back yard. They raced toward the doors, laughing as they went.



As they burst through the doors they startled poor Idget who popped from the room in agitation. They thought it strange that Mrs. Weasley was not in the kitchen supervising dinner being moved to the table. They quickly washed their hands and went in search of everyone.



Harry started to get nervous at the silence in the house. As they went through the dark and silent living room he drew his wand. He began to move slower as they approached the dining room. The others walked in ahead of him, not noticing his wariness.



Harry felt a movement to his left as he entered the room. The lights went on, "Surprise," was yelled, and a red flash of light from a stunner went off at the same time.



Everything was silent for a moment, and then everyone began talking at once. Harry looked and saw that he had stunned Kingsley Shacklebolt. He quickly walked over as Kingsley was being brought back to consciousness.



"Sorry, Sir. Guess I still get a little nervous," Harry said sheepishly.



"Excellent reflexes, Harry. Remind me not to come up behind you in a dark alley," Kingsley said with a short laugh as Petunia was helping him up off the ground.



"We just wanted to surprise you, Harry. It is, after all, your birthday," said Professor Dumbledore said. "I suppose we should have thought this through a little more. We did not realize that you would still be so jumpy."



"Sorry, Professor. I guess the thing at the Department of Mysteries still has me a little spooked," Harry said with a very apologetic look on his face.



"Guess I should be glad that his reflexes only called for a stunner. That could have been painful," Kingsley said with a laugh.



The rest of the room joined in, tentatively laughing at first, and the laughter becoming more robust after that. Soon everyone was talking and joking. The mood had gone back to that of a party.



"They had the best of intentions, Harry. They just wanted you to enjoy your birthday," Ginny said as she came to his side, kissed his cheek, and let her fingers trail down his arm until they became entwined with his. He looked down at their hands, raised her fingers to his lips, and kissed her hands gently.



Ron watched as this was going on, knowing that Hermione was still miffed at his lack of romance earlier. He grabbed her hand quickly, thought about his next step. When his mind came up blank, he suddenly turned Hermione around, dipped her back slightly, and kissed her.



A/N Thanks to my readers for their patience with me. I am still dealing with issues with my back, but am trying to get the chapters out as quickly as possible. I would like to give special thanks to Wolfs_Scream and CraftySlythern for their wonderful beta work. Thanks also goes to my husband for letting me bounce ideas off of him. Hope you all enjoyed!