Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Prophecy's Child by Katastrophe

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: Please forgive the overly horrid delay. It is explained in the A/N at the bottom.
The party was in full swing and Harry’s embarrassment was beginning to fade. He looked over at Ron and Hermione and had to smile. Ron may be a klutz, but when all else failed he knew how to capture Hermione’s full attention. Harry laughed, realizing that Hermione had not looked anyone in the eye after that kiss.




Harry saw Tonks sitting by herself and wandered over to talk to her. She looked a little down, and that was worrying him.




"Hi, Tonks. Great party. But why aren’t you out enjoying it?" asked Harry as he walked up to her.




"Because your uncle is a complete git," she spat out before she realized it. She began to blush yet again, her hair and eyes flickering in different colors.




"No need to be embarrassed. I have been accused of being a complete git at times too," Harry said with a wink.




"I’m not embarrassed," Tonks exclaimed, very flustered. She looked up at Harry, her eyes blazing. She then noticed that he was pointing towards her hair. She looked up at one lock of it and blushed all the more. "I can’t control this mess anymore. It seems I am always embarrassing myself these days."




"So what’s the problem? Maybe I can help."




"He thinks I am too young for him. He thinks I don’t need to be saddled with the problems of dating a werewolf. He thinks he needs to be alone in the world and bear the entire burden by himself. How I wish he would just stop thinking!" Tonks’ voice got softer with each exclamation. "I know he likes me. I could feel it in his kiss. But he refuses to let himself love me." A single tear found it’s way down her cheek.




Harry covered her hand with his own and said softly, "Do you want me to talk to him? If he doesn’t listen, I’ll kick him in the shins to get his attention and try again." He had such a look of mischief in his eyes that she had to laugh.




"I’m sorry to have spilled all this on you. Here it is, your birthday, your party, and here I am blubbering like a schoolgirl because a crush won’t pay attention to me," Tonks said, wiping her tears with a napkin.




"Do you love him?"




"What?" Tonks asked, sure she could not be hearing right.




"Do you love him? Are you willing to deal with everything werewolf and not look at him any differently? Are you willing to be there for him?" Harry asked, looking her in the eye.




"Yes! I have for about a year now, not that he knew I existed," she said with a sniffle.




"Oh he knew. Maybe he needs the same wake-up I needed. Do you know how Ginny got my attention? She tore into me one night, so angry that I was trying to push her away. Got a fiery temper, that one. She told me what a prat I was being, and let it slip that she loved me. It didn’t truly hit me until after she left the room. The next day I got the letter from Sirius," Harry said with a smile, remembering his godfather’s letter. "He told me I needed to live, laugh, and most of all love, or Voldemort wins. I’m sure he said the same to Remus. Maybe Remus just needs a reminder." Harry winked at Tonks.




"When did you grow up so much?" Tonks said as she gave him a hug. Harry gave her a squeeze a let her turn to walk away.




"Tonks?" Harry said softly to get her to turn back around. She looked at him expectantly. "When you two do get together, does this mean I can call you Aunt Nymphy?" Harry laughed and ducked as her napkin came flying in his direction. "Go talk to him. I’ll be here to celebrate if he is smart, or as a shoulder for you if he turns out more of a prat than I was." She laughed and waved at him as she went off to find Remus.




~*~*~*




Molly saw Remus sitting alone across the room. She made her way to him slowly, pausing here and there to say hello to people and make sure they didn’t need anything.




"Remus? Is everything okay?" Molly asked tentatively, a little afraid of his reaction. He had been pulling away from everyone for the past few weeks. For a while Molly had thought he was actually on the verge of being happy, and then came the day the explored Potter Manor. Ever since then he had gone back to his loner ways.




"Hi, Molly. Yeah, everything is fine," Remus said as he lowered his eyes.




"I’ve never known you to lie to me, Remus. I would hate to think that you are starting to now," Molly said as her eyebrows lifted. Remus looked at her, shocked. "I’ve raised seven children. You don’t get this far without being able to read eyes and expressions."




Remus laughed softly. "No, I guess you don’t," he said with a small chuckle.




"Want to tell me about it? Or would you rather I guessed again? I can get quite creative," Molly said with a gleam in her eye.




"It’s really nothing. I mean, it could have been something, if I wasn’t a werewolf. It’s just hard to face the fact that I am better off alone. I’m not complaining, mind you. I just can’t see putting someone I love in danger," Remus said with a sigh.




"So you DO love her."




"Who?" Remus asked, incredulously.




Molly gave him another knowing look instead of an answer. "Are you still taking your Wolfsbane potions?" She asked instead of giving him an answer.




"Religiously," he replied with a sardonic smile.




"And you have found a safe place for the transformations?"




"In the cellar. The Potters made me a safe room here in case I was visiting near a full moon. They were always so good about not judging. They treated me a lot like you and Arthur treat Harry – as one of their own," he said with a nostalgic look in his eye.




Molly let him reminisce for a moment before saying, "Did you ever stop to think that maybe she doesn’t care if you are a werewolf or not. Maybe she is just stubborn and strong enough to deal with that fact and everything that comes with it. It takes a lot of gumption to become an Auror, after all. I’ve watched her when you are in the room, one look from you and she lights up. Her clumsiness increases, her hair changes colors. She must have been ever so charming as a teenager," Molly said with a smile, thinking of her daughter and a certain elbow in the butter dish incident when Harry was around. "Love and relationships are never a sure thing, Remus. Sometimes you have to make a leap of faith, and know that if you fall, you have friends to help you up. But if you never jump, you’ll never know." Molly patted his hand gently and stood up to leave.




"Molly?" Remus said as she turned to leave.




"Yes?" she said turning back to him.




"Have you ever thought of writing a manual so poor lost males like myself might actually become a little less clueless?" Remus asked with a sardonic smile.




"Now what would be the fun in that?" Molly laughed as she walked away.




~*~*~*~




The stack of gifts was massive. It seemed everyone at the party had brought something for Harry and Neville to celebrate their sixteenth birthday.




Neville was standing over near the gifts, trying to blend in with the wall. He had never liked parties, but there was no way he could turn down this invitation, as he was also a guest of honor. He knew that he and Harry were not close friends, but part of him knew that Harry at least considered him a friend on the fringe. He only hoped that Harry did not mind sharing his birthday party.




Neville thought back to the events of a few weeks ago, when they had all ended up at the Ministry. He had never had any delusions of being a great wizard. He was really just happy that he had not turned out to be a squib like his family had thought for so long. He had grown up hearing how much of a disappointment he was to his family. It wasn’t bad enough that his parents may as well be zombies, for all they could react to anything.




He loved his parents, but he could not help wondering how differently things would have turned out if the Lestranges had never gotten to them. He often wished his grandmother would soften up a bit and just accept him for who he was, and not who she thought he should be.




His grandmother had been shocked to hear of the part he played at the Ministry of Magic. He had thought she was going to be so angry that he had broken his father’s wand. Surprisingly, she went to him and gave him a hug. Not like the hugs in the past where everything was so stiff. This was a real hug. A few days later, she went with him to see his parents. He had gone to get some tea and was coming back into the room. He stood at the doorway and listened as she told his parents how proud she was of their son, how much he had learned and that some day he would be a great wizard.




"Well maybe not great, but at least a fair one," Neville had chuckled.




Things had been going really well between them ever since. Mrs. Longbottom had taken him to Olivander’s earlier this week and had gotten him a new wand. It seemed that she had finally seen her grandson as more than an extension of his father.




"Hi, Neville! Great to see you mate," Harry said, walking up to Neville, pulling him away from the wall.




"Happy Birthday, Harry," Neville said, pulling out of his musings.




"Same to you. I’m glad to see they included you in the birthday party here. But tell me, why didn’t you have to go through the surprise part?" Harry teased. The birthday party had been for both of them. When Molly had realized that their birthdays were so close, she made it a double party.




"Who said they didn’t? My entrance wasn’t nearly as grand as yours was though. I only tripped over my grandmother," he said chuckling. "I hope you don’t mind that they combined the parties. I know we are not that close, but Mrs. Weasley insisted."




"Neville, you have been a great friend. I hope you will continue to be so. I was very honored to have you standing next to me at the Ministry, and I am honored to share this party with you. I know I’ve been a prat, not letting too many people get close over the years. Ginny has made me realize what a mistake that is. I hope I can make amends for all the years I have pushed people aside," Harry said with his honesty showing brightly in his eyes. "Besides, who better to share my birthday with? You were amazing at the Department of Mysteries, mate."




Neville blushed and laughed at Harry. He was still not accustomed to compliments. He was opening his mouth to deny what Harry had said when another voice spoke up.




"So, you are the one my grandson followed into the Department of Mysteries. I’ve wanted to talk to you , get the chance to know you. Our last meeting, at St. Mugo's was cut quite short, Mr. Potter."




Harry turned to see Neville’s grandmother standing behind him. "Hello, Mrs. Longbottom. Very nice to see you," said Harry, extending his hand.




"So formal! Not at all the brat they tried to portray you as this past year. Just so you know, I never believed that rubbish. Cornelius Fudge always has been an idiotic lump of a man. Disturbing to hear that Voldemort is back, but ever so nice to see Fudge with his knickers in a twist," Mrs. Longbottom laughed. The look of amazement on Harry’s face made her laugh all the harder. "Not quite the dower old codger you expected? You’ve helped my grandson come out of his shell, young man. Although I would have preferred a much safer way, I can’t fault the results. Now, if you two are finished hiding over here behind the presents, I have a few people I would like to introduce Neville to."




Harry, still reeling from Mrs. Longbottom’s statements, just nodded his head. "Very nice to see you again, ma’am. Neville, I do have something to talk to you about, not in the middle of the party though. Can you come over one day next week?" Harry asked.




"Sure, Harry. I’ll try for Monday if that is alright with you," Neville replied, beaming. Harry smiled and nodded, watching the Longbottoms walking away.




~*~*~*~




Everyone had gathered in the dining room for a fantastic dinner. As people were seating themselves around the table, they noticed three empty chairs. The room went absolutely silent as Dobby, Winky, and Idget came shyly into the room and took the three empty chairs.




Harry looked up at the silence, figured out what had shocked everyone, and smiled as he stood up.




"Everyone, I’d like to introduce Dobby, Winky and Idget. I know it may be strange for some of you, but these three are part of my family, and have every right to be here. If anyone has any objections, then I would like to thank you for coming and I will be more than happy to show you to the door. I mean no offense, but I will not have my family snubbed," Harry stated. He was watching the faces of those around the table for signs of anyone getting up to leave. He noticed tears in the eyes of the three house-elves. When no one got up to leave, Harry gave a relieved sigh and sat back down in his chair.




"Winky, if you would do the honors please," Mrs. Weasley said softly.




Winky sat up straighter in her chair, gave a watery smile and snapped her fingers. At once the table filled up with food. A sumptuous meal, including all of Harry and Neville’s favorites, was presented.




Idget stood up and squeaked, "Tuck in!" He sat back down quickly with a very pleased look on his face, receiving a wink and nod from Mrs. Weasley.




Laughter filled the room as people began to eat. Harry guessed that Mrs. Weasley had coached him all afternoon on that one line. He was grateful. It had definitely eased the tension in the room.




~*~*~*~




After dinner Tonks slipped from the dining room and into the kitchen. A few minutes later Remus walked in, carrying a stack of dishes. He noticed Tonks standing at the sink.




"Thought I would never convince the house-elves to let me take the dishes off the table," he said with a mildly embarrassed laugh.




Tonks watched him quietly, moving out of the way of the sink so Remus could deposit the dishes. When he had put the dishes down, she lit into him.




"Remus Lupin, you are the biggest, most adorable, and most difficult prat I have ever met!" Tonks exclaimed. "Somehow, through it all, I can’t stop loving you." Tonks turned to walk out of the room. She got about three steps toward the kitchen door when she tripped over the chair and began to fall to the ground. Remus’ lightning reflexes took over and, once again, Remus caught her before she hit the floor.




"I’m beginning to like having you in my arms," he chuckled.




Tonks was blushing furiously, hair changing colors as she did. They finally settled on dark hair and the most startling blue-gray eyes.




"I’ve been a fool, Dora," he said as he helped her get her feet back under her. "I tried to keep you safe by pushing you away. It took a very wise woman to make me see the errors of my ways. Can you forgive a stubborn werewolf for his mistakes? Can you love that werewolf as much as he loves you?"




Tonks just stood silently for a few moments, trying to absorb what Remus was really saying. Her heart soared once it sank in. She closed the distance between them in a single step, reaching up to move a stray lock of hair from his forehead.




"You’ve finally come to realize that you aren’t the Big Bad Wolf?" Remus looked at her questioningly. "Muggle fairy tale Dad used to read me before bed. Remus, I have loved you with all my heart for years. Nothing can change that. As for forgiving, we’ll have to see how many other mistakes you make. But there will be time for that later," she replied impishly. She then tilted her head up toward his and kissed him. Softly at first, then gaining intensity as the moments passed. As their kiss grew more passionate, they swore they could hear applause. They quickly broke apart and saw Molly, Harry, and Ginny standing in the doorway.




"You called him a git, didn’t you?" Harry asked.




"Actually she called me a prat," Remus answered for her.




Everyone in the kitchen laughed and then smiled as Remus bent to give her a light kiss on the forehead.




"Now, Neville and Harry have presents to open. That is, if you two are done snogging in the kitchen. Merlin, you would have scared the house-elves half to death. It’s time to go into the parlor to open the gifts," Molly exclaimed, taking command of the situation.




*~*~*




Two hours, and a mountain of wrapping paper later, the gifts we spread out before each of the teens. They had both received mounds of sweets, books, and the latest Weasley’s Wizarding Wheezes products; all in all, a very good haul for both birthday boys.




The party was breaking up, and people were heading to the doors to go to their own homes. Professor Dumbledore pulled Harry aside before he departed.




"Your present is on your bed, Harry. It is one I thought you might prefer to open in private. Monday will be a holiday for you and the others. Tuesday it will be back to work for all of you. I shall see you then," Dumbledore said with a very fond look at Harry.




"Thank you, sir. For everything," Harry said.




Dumbledore winked, and after saying goodnight to all of the Weasleys, left to go back to Hogwarts.




Soon there was only Ron, Hermione, Ginny, and Harry left in the parlor.




"So, Harry, did you enjoy your party?" Ginny murmured sleepily.




"After I got over the shock I did. I can’t believe you guys kept this from me," he replied with a surprised look on his face.




"Mum threatened us on penalty of death if we told you, and your Aunt Petunia was in the kitchen with a rolling pin in her hand while mum was telling us about the party. I don’t know about you mate, but she scares me," Ron chuckled.




"What was Professor Dumbledore was saying to you before he left?" Hermione inquired.




"Oh! Come with me. He left my present on my bed," Harry said, jumping to his feet and helping Ginny up from the ground.




The foursome walked up the stairs and filed into Harry’s room. The box on Harry’s bed was wrapped in paper that had birthday hats and streamers dancing and moving around the box itself. He moved it over to the table and opened it. Inside was a beautiful malachite bowl and vials of a silvery substance.




"Harry! That’s a Pensieve! Wicked!" Ron blurted.




Ginny picked up the card that came with the gift and quickly read it. "These are memories that Dumbledore thought you would be interested in. He says to just pour the vial into the bowl, and that you know what to do from there."




"Anyone up for a stroll down Dumbledore’s memory lane?" Harry asked with a laugh. When the other three nodded, he chose the vial marked with the number one and poured it into the bowl. He explained to the others that all they had to do was touch the substance with their wands and they would go into the memory.




"Ready?" he asked them with a look of anticipation on his face. Together they touched their wands to the shimmering matter, and all four fell into the memory.














A/N I am so sorry for the huge delay in this story. I am still having severe issues with my back from an injury I sustained last year. I seem to be slowly but surely losing control and some use of my legs. Worry not, I've overcome worse. I did not explain this for sympathy, but in hopes that you, my wonderful readers, would understand why sometimes I cannot get the chapters in. I do have help with some of the typing now, so hopefully I will be able to get chapters out more frequently than 7 or 8 months apart. Hope you all enjoyed.