Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Prophecy's Child by Katastrophe

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: Blah blah blah.....it all belongs to JKR!
The next few days after Harry’s birthday seemed to fly by in a flurry of activity. That Sunday they had played Quidditch until they were almost exhausted. Harry had fallen into bed but had trouble falling asleep with all the thoughts that were running through his head.

I have to tell her.

What are you going to tell her?

That I l…lo…love her.

Oh that’s brilliant. You can barely say the word. Are you sure it is how you really feel? It’s not very convincing when you stutter over the L word.

I won’t stutter when it counts. But what if she doesn’t feel that way about me?

Have you lost your ever-loving mind? Were you not here last night when she said that some day it would be the two of you getting married? Even Ron’s not THAT thick. Now go to sleep. You have to talk to Neville tomorrow. Best be prepared, there is no telling what his reaction will be.


~*~*~*~

Monday had gone smoother than he thought it would. Neville had listened quietly to the prophecy. He was stunned at first, which was expected. After asking many questions, he sat back with a new resolve. Harry, Ginny, Ron, and Hermione were all amazed at the changes that followed.

Not only was Neville determined to help, but he also was resolute about standing beside Harry in his fight. Neville knew that but for a single choice of Voldemort’s, it could have been him that had to stand up to Voldemort when the final battle came. Besides, he wanted to be trained well enough to at least take on Bellatrix Lestrange. That was a personal debt. She had to be stopped, and he was in the mind-set that he would be the one to stop her.

~*~*~*~*

When Mrs. Longbottom came by that evening to pick up Neville she was promptly invited to stay for dinner. Harry and Neville figured that having a few adults around when they asked if Neville could stay would definitely be to their benefit. Halfway through the entrée, Mrs. Longbottom turned to Harry.

“I have always believed that you could tell what was in a person’s heart by looking at the ones who work for him. I was a bit shocked when you announced that Idget, Winky, and Dobby would be joining us at your birthday dinner. But now I see that they are truly part of your family. Their love for you and yours shows, and speaks volumes about you,” Mrs. Longbottom said, taking a sip of her wine.

“Thank you, Mrs. Longbottom,” he answered, blushing profusely. He took a deep breath and said, “Mrs. Longbottom, I was wondering if Neville might be able to join us for the rest of the holiday. The invitation is actually open to both of you. I could have portkeys arranged to get the two of you to and back from St. Mungo’s to visit his parents.”

“Oh no. Dear boy, we could not impose on you like that. Besides, Neville still has most of his summer homework to finish. He won’t want to work when he has so many distractions,” she replied, giving Neville a ‘I-know-better’ look.

“Augusta, if the two of you decided to stay here, Neville would be studying more, and learning more for that matter. This could actually put him ahead in his studies,” Molly stated before Harry had a chance to answer.

“I don’t think I am following you, Molly. How could staying here advance him in his studies?” Mrs. Longbottom asked, her curiosity piqued.

“Professors Dumbledore and McGonagall come by during the week to hold classes with Harry, Hermione, Ron, and even Ginny. At the rate they are currently going, Professor Dumbledore is positive that Ginny will be able to go into sixth year courses. They are preparing her to take her owls in two weeks,” Molly beamed.

“Harry has a big task ahead of him, Gran. I plan to be right beside him when the time comes. I could use the extra help so I am prepared,” Neville said softly.

“What kind of task are you talking about?”

Neville opened his mouth a few times, trying to speak, but looking more like a fish out of water. Harry rescued him by saying, “I will be going after Voldemort.”

“What? But you are only a boy!” Mrs. Longbottom said, jumping out of her seat.

“Neville told you about the prophecy that broke in the Department of Mysteries?” Harry inquired. When she nodded he continued, “That was not the only copy, so to speak. Professor Dumbledore was the one who originally heard the prophecy. He told me about it after we got back from the Ministry that night.” Harry took a sip of his water. He felt Ginny’s hand slip into his and squeeze. He took a deep breath and explained everything. How Voldemort had marked him as an equal. How easily it could have been Neville. He even explained that either he or Voldemort must die at the end.

Mrs. Longbottom shrank back in her chair as she took it all in. “So all that talk of you being ‘The Chosen One’, it was true? How do you fit into this Neville?” she asked, looking at her grandson.

“It could have easily been me, Gran. I want to help Harry in any way I can. I also want my shot at Bellatrix Lestrange. She tore our family apart. I can’t let her do that to anyone else,” he said with an imploring look in his eyes.

Mrs. Longbottom stared at her grandson intently. She looked into his eyes and saw that he was becoming a man. Gone was the clumsy stuttering youth, and in his place was a young man with a mission. “You’re sure it would not be an imposition?” she asked, looking first at Harry, then at Petunia and Molly.

“Not at all. This just expands my family even more,” Harry said with a grin.

“We’ll head home tonight to get packed and get the house closed up. We will be back tomorrow afternoon. That is, if you are positive about this,” she said in a very business-like tone.

“We’ll pick out your rooms after we finish pudding,” Harry said with a nod.

As conversation turned to other topics, Harry saw Mrs. Longbottom reach over and give Neville a hug. He could just barely hear her whisper to him how proud she was.

~*~*~*~*

Harry sent notes to Professors Dumbledore and McGonagall explaining the situation. Professor Dumbledore sent Fawkes back with a message that classes would resume on Wednesday, and they were delighted that Neville would be joining the others.

The rest of the week had been spent reviewing and catching Neville up to speed with the others. Neville caught on rather quickly, which was a surprise to all present, including Neville himself. His only disappointment is that he would not be joining in the Animagus training. His potion had come up with nothing except a small puff of smoke, no shape was present. It was decided that since Neville wanted to be a healer, while the others were working on their Animagus studies, he would be working with Madame Pomfrey learning the art of healing.

~*~*~*~

The training had been intense, but they still managed to have a bit of fun on the few days off they had, playing Quidditch, chess, and Exploding Snap. All except Hermione, who could be found reading or practicing in the off hours.

All of them were shocked at how far they had come during the summer. Neville was especially pleased with himself. Without Professor Snape hovering over him, he had done really well in potions. Lupin had given him a strategy for the coming school year to help conquer his fear of Professor Snape. Moony had reminded Neville of the boggart in third year. If Neville could remember Snape in his grandmother’s clothes, he would be much less intimidating. If that did not work, he told Neville to picture Snape in his underwear. After a moment he retracted that, saying, “No one should have to deal with that visual.”

Hermione was getting more and more frustrated with the Animagus attempts. So far she had not even managed to transform a single claw or feather. She watched almost resentfully as Harry transformed into a phoenix with a human head. She was brought to tears as Ron and Ginny transfigured their arms and legs to form paws and had covered themselves in fur. None of them gloated or celebrated much, out of respect for Hermione.

Professor McGonagall was astonished to see the coloring of both Harry and Ginny’s Animagus forms. Harry, as a phoenix, had black and purple feathers. Ginny was transforming into a white tiger. Ron had the normal tawny appearance of a lion when he worked to change forms. She was most disturbed at her favorite student’s lack of progress. She made the decision to keep Hermione after class to talk to her about this.

While everyone was packing up to go, Professor McGonagall said, “Miss Granger, would you please stay for a few moments?”

“O…Of course Professor,” Hermione replied as her stomach tied itself in knots. She waved to the others, saying that she would catch up to them later.

Professor McGonagall conjured a platter with tea and scones on it and prompted Hermione to serve herself.

“Miss Granger, I know what you are going through. I had the same problem with my Animagus form that you are having,” Professor McGonagall stated.

“I just don’t understand. I swear, I have been practicing daily. I even stay up later than the others trying to get it right. I don’t know what I am doing wrong,” Hermione said. Tears began to trickle slowly down her cheeks as she stared at her feet.

“Miss Gra…Hermione, look at me,” Professor McGonagall said softly. Hermione’s head popped up at the use of her first name. “I went through the same thing. It was not until one of my professors told me to lighten up that I was actually able to succeed. I, too, pushed myself, wanting to excel in everything. I kept trying, kept practicing, stayed atop my homework and my extra time practicing. I saw my failure in things to be very personal. The more I pushed though, the less results I had,” she paused and chuckled at the look of disbelief on Hermione’s face. “My professor at the time told me to loosen up and not take myself so seriously. I was shocked of course. He explained that by trying to force it to happen, I was trapping the animal inside of me. I followed his advice and, within a month, I could fully become the tabby cat that my potion had said was inside of me. Tell me, have you joined the others when you have days off from training?”

“No, I have been studying and practicing. I am not fond of Quidditch, and it seems pointless to waste time! I find Wizard’s Chess a bit too barbaric for my tastes, and Exploding Snap is entirely too loud,” Hermione said, astonished that her teacher was asking such a question.

“Have you ever really given the sport, or anything else that the others try to get you into, a chance?” McGonagall said with a smile.

“Well, no…. But…”

“Hermione, you must leave yourself with time to have fun. You have to leave time to actually have a life. Training is important, especially to you and the other four. But if all you do is study and train, completely forgetting to have fun and enjoy yourself occasionally, then Voldemort wins, and he’s taken your life away from you. But, if you take time to enjoy yourself, along with using time to study and prepare, then that is one less life he has taken over. Do you understand?” McGonagall said softly, marveling at the similarity of her young self to Hermione’s present self.

“I think so, Professor. I will work on it,” Hermione replied. “Er…well, not work on it, as the case may be.”

They both laughed at her correction of her wording. Hermione looked at McGonagall and asked, “Professor, who was your transfiguration teacher?”

“Why, Professor Dumbledore, of course! This was back when Professor Armando Dippet was the headmaster of Hogwarts. It was because of him that I joined the fight during the war with Grindewald. When the first war with Voldemort started, I helped Professor Dumbledore to form the order.”

Hermione was taken aback at this news. She knew that Dumbledore and McGonagall had been teaching at Hogwarts for many years together. She had no idea that Dumbledore was that old.

“Professor, how old is Professor Dumbledore anyway?” Hermione queried, hoping she had not over-stepped her bounds.

“Somewhere around 150 I would guess. I asked him once, he said he had lost count. Can you imagine?” she replied with a hearty chuckle.

“Well, Minerva, after so many birthdays, it IS rather hard to keep track,” Dumbledore said with a laugh as he watched the shocked reactions of the two ladies in the room. “I’ve always thought age to be just a number. Our thoughts and actions define us, as do our choices. If I have interrupted a private conference, I will leave. From what I smell, Molly’s been baking her wonderful biscuits. I am sure I can sneak in and, how is it they say it these days, ‘nick a few?’” Hermione and McGonagall were laughing openly now as Dumbledore was wagging his eyebrows at them.

“No, Professor, you stay. We were done. I’ll go to the kitchen and get the two of you some tea and biscuits,” Hermione offered.

“No need, Miss Granger. I’ll get it. By the way,” Dumbledore stated as he turned his full attention on Hermione. “I hear you are having trouble with the Animagus lessons. I once had a student who was quite brilliant, but was also a late bloomer in the Animagus area. Try loosening up a bit Miss Granger. You are far too young to deny yourself some downtime. Even the ‘brightest witch of her age’ needs time for recreation and relaxation. If you take things too seriously all the time it will, to quote Mr. Weasley, ‘make you mental’!”

“Yes sir,” Hermione answered with a blush. “If you will excuse me, I am going to try to catch up with the others. I’m afraid I haven’t been a very nice person as of late. I have a lot of apologies to make.” She turned around and walked softly out of the room.

*~*~*~*

Two days before Ginny’s birthday Harry began to panic. Not only had he not gotten the chance to tell her he loved her, but he also had no present for her. He ran to Remus as the day was getting closer.

“Remus, you have to help me,” Harry begged, as he ran up to the older man.

“Whoa, take a breath and tell me what is going on,” Remus said, worriedly.

“Two days…birthday…present…must,” Harry replied, out of breath.

“I get the idea,” Remus said with a chuckle. “Let me ask Tonks if she fancies a trip to Diagon Alley. Maybe we can put a glamour on you so we don’t attract too much attention. I’ll also see if Moody would like to go along under the invisibility cloak.”

“Thank you! I’ve got to find something perfect for her, and Tonks would definitely be a help. I’m rubbish when it comes to buying gifts. Especially really special ones,” Harry said, having finally caught his breath.

“Sounds like love,” Remus said with a chuckle.

“Remus, how do you know when it IS love? I’m afraid I don’t have a clue when it comes to girls. I’ve never told anyone that I love them.,” Harry blushed.

Remus looked at his young charge and asked, “I presume that you are thinking of Ginny? Does she know?”

“No. Do you know how hard it is to get anyone alone in this house? I haven’t had time to tell her. Should I tell her? What if she doesn’t love me back? What if…” Harry stammered while running his fingers through his hair.

“Harry. Harry! Slow down a moment. Merlin, you remind me of James when he first told your mum he loved her. He even tried to bring Sirius and I along for moral support. It’s not that difficult. Believe me, I have seen the way she looks at you. She does love you, Harry, and has for quite a while now,” Remus said trying to calm Harry down.

“It’s just… We saw my parents’ wedding in the pensieve the night of my birthday. They looked so much like the two of us. I’ve gone back a few times by myself and I can see marrying her. Not right away of course. But that may never happen if I can’t even tell her that I love her.” Harry finished while looking down at his feet.

“It is completely understandable to be nervous, Harry. But you need to make certain that what you feel is love,” Remus replied.

“When I am with her, everything seems brighter. I have actually been happy. When we kiss, the world just stops for me. Holding her in my arms, I feel like I can conquer anything. The problem is, I have never told ANYONE that I love them. I am not even sure what signs or feelings to look for. That’s it, I’ve gone completely mental,” Harry sighed.

“Sounds like love to me Harry. Also sounds very familiar. Don’t we make a pair?” Remus chuckled. “Both in love with truly wonderful women, both unsure of how to tell them. But I do have a plan. Can you ask one of the house-elves to get Ron and Neville to join us? And please, tell them to be discreet. After he hears my plan, he might want in for good points with Hermione.“

Harry looked at Remus with confusion and skepticism written all over his face. He called Dobby and asked him to find Ron and Neville.

About 5 minutes later, Ron and Neville walked into the room, and the planning began. With help from Dobby and Idget and Winky, Ginny’s birthday would be a night to remember.

*~*~*~*~*

The next day, Ron, Neville, and Harry left for Diagon Alley with a small guard of Tonks, Remus, and Moody. They went from shop to shop, trying to find the perfect gift. They stopped in Quality Quidditch Supplies and bought a Quidditch Deluxe set. It had the bludgers, quaffle, and a professional grade snitch that was somewhat faster than the ones at school. While they were in the shop, Harry checked on the newest brooms. He saw Ron practically drooling over the new broom in the window. The Flame-Strike boasted faster speeds than the Firebolt, tighter handling, and a semi-sticking charm for the safety of the riders.

“What do you think, Ron? The Quidditch pitch in the backyard would be a great place for some practicing,” Harry said with a grin.

“Yeah, we could work out new game plans and strategies for kicking some Slytherin arse. One of these days, I’ll be able to get a top-of-the-line broom,” Ron sighed.

“I’ve been thinking-“ Harry began.

“Did it hurt?” Ron laughed, trying to lighten his mood.

“I know, it’s always a bad sign when I start thinking,” Harry chuckled. “Back to what I was saying, I need to get a new broom. I want to keep the Firebolt for the memories connected to Sirius. I’m really afraid that one of these day, something might happen to it,” Harry watched as Ron’s face fell. “I’ve got to talk to the sales clerk. I’ll be right back.”

Harry went to the counter and placed his order for five of the new brooms. The sales clerk summoned the Flame-Strikes from the storage rooms to complete the transaction. Harry quickly shrunk the brooms to fit in his pocket. This was going to be some surprise. But he had to be careful with his wording when he sprung it on the others.

Lupin stood beside him as a look out to make sure that Ron was not watching. He relaxed a bit when he saw Tonks and Neville pulling Ron’s attention to the other side of the store. He looked at Harry’s face and could tell he was buying the brooms for his friends. He was amazed that despite the years with the Dursleys, Harry was a very loving and giving person. Harry reminded Lupin of James and Lily. It was as if a part of them was still there with him.

Thirty minutes, and 3 stores later, Harry found the perfect gift for Ginny, or at least PART of the gift. He had it wrapped and shrunk to also fit in his pocket. Harry wondered if he would be able to contain himself until the next day. Ginny’s birthday is going to be such a surprise.

One more stop had to be made on the way to the apparition point. The Magical Menagerie was as loud as ever. While Ron, Neville, and Remus wandered around the store, Harry and Tonks went straight to the row of cages in the back of the store.

Tonks looked through the bars on the cages, sad for the animals there. She hoped they would all find homes soon. She heard Harry gasp and turned quickly to see what was the matter.

Harry was lifting a small white kitten with ginger patterns on its back and head and very bright green eyes. The kitten looked too tiny to be away from it’s mother. Suddenly a loud purr came from the kitten.

“I was hoping he would find a home soon. I will warn you though, he has to be bottle fed for about two more weeks,” said the beautiful brunette woman that had walked up behind them. “I found him and his littermates on the way to work a few days ago, he was the smallest one, but he’s definitely got spunk. It’s been a mess with trying to feed 7 kittens by bottle every three to four hours. But I couldn’t leave them there. Their mother either abandoned them or something had happened to her. It is not like a mother cat to abandon her kittens. Listen to me, rambling away. My name is Kiley Cohen, can I help you with anything today?” she said, extending her hand to Harry.

Harry shook the woman’s hand and asked, “How many of the seven are left?”

“Just him. The little purr-box you have in your hands is quite a little scrapper,” she replied.

The kitten was small enough to fit in the palm of his hand. He started playing with the little guy. The kitten was purring and pawing at Harry’s hand. At one point, the kitten bit Harry lightly, and then licked the space where he had just bitten. The confusion was plain to see on his face.

“That’s his way of telling you that he is only playing. He’s adorable. I’d keep him myself, but my husband barred me from bringing home another animal,” Kiley explained. “For some reason he thinks that ten cats, five dogs, three crups and a kneazle is a good place to stop. That’s the hard thing about owning a pet store, you want to take them all home with you.”

Tonks and Harry laughed and said they would take the kitten. Kiley gathered up the formula, bottles, kitten food, and a warming blanket and put it all in a large shopping bag. After she told Harry his total bill he looked shocked.

“Mrs. Cohen, you must have miscalculated. The total should be much more than that,” Harry said with a bewildered look on his face.

“I’m just happy he found a good home. With them out of the store, I will be able to pay more attention to the other animals here. Take the rest as a gift to the kitten and his new owner,” Kiley answered. “All I ask is that you come by some time and give me an update on them.”

The tabby was still playing at attacking Harry’s fingers. He crouched down like he was about to attack and let out a tiny half-growl and an attempt and a spit. The noise that came out of him sounded like “Grrf.”

“That’s what I have been calling him, ‘Gurf.’ He’s definitely a feisty one. By the size of those paws, he’s going to be a big one too. He was the runt of the litter, and the only male out of seven.” Harry knew that this would be the perfect kitten for Ginny.

Harry and Tonks gathered up the kitten and supplies and found Remus and Ron standing outside the door. They had only taken a few steps when there was a shout and Ron was hit in the leg with a blue light that only comes from spells. Harry dragged him to safety. His leg was bloody and had a piece of bone poking through the skin. Ron’s leg had been broken. Harry handed off the kitten and peaked around the corner to see where the spells were coming from.

Narcissa was firing spells left and right. She had three people with her, their identities hidden behind their masks. Narcissa was the only one without a mask on. It was almost as if she wanted Harry to know exactly who she was.

Harry looked around frantically for Remus, Tonks and Neville. He was relieved to see them hiding behind a delivery crate near the entrance to the pet store. Tonks had just sent what looked like her patronus off in the other direction. Within seconds, five order members Apparated into Diagon Alley. Harry checked once more on Ron, and turned to join in the fight.


A/N A HUGE, wonderful thanks to my new idea man, Sorn, who also permitted me to use the name Flame-Strike for the new broom. If you haven't read his fic The Fight for Ginny go do so now! Thanks to all the lovely readers that have read my story so far.