Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Prophecy's Child by Katastrophe

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Explanations

A/N I know Dudley and Petunia seem OOC, I will explain the changes next chapter. Thanks to everyone who has read and given me a chance with my first fanfic!!!


A/N JK Rowling owns the world of Harry Potter. Many thanks to her for letting us play in her world.


Molly Weasley was trying to keep her hands busy in the kitchen. Her family had moved to headquarters only three days earlier, and there was still a lot to do to get the place in shape. She had been contacted by Albus Dumbledore and informed that the wards at 4 Privet Drive were falling. More than likely Harry’s vile relatives have thrown him out, the fools, she thought to herself. She had never held much respect for the relatives that always sent Harry back underfed and overworked. Who could see a boy that had been through so very much and not want to take care of him? What kind of monsters were these people?

Molly was debating on calling Ron and Ginny down to let them know that Harry was on his way. She did not want to alarm them. In the middle of her ponderings, her youngest and only daughter Ginny walked softly into the kitchen.

“Hi Mum,” Ginny said reaching up to give her mum a kiss on the cheek. “Just wanted to get something to drink.” She finally looked at her mother’s face and froze in her tracks. “What is it Mum? What’s going on?” Ginny was beginning to panic at the worried look on her mother’s face.

Molly debated telling her the truth, and finally decided that the truth was the best option. “They have gone to get Harry. Something has happened and the wards on Privet Drive are falling. Tonks, Moody, and Lupin went to get Harry right after the alarm sounded at Hogwarts. We’re hoping with advanced warning and quick reactions that we can get him out of there before the Death Eaters even know what hit them.”

Ginny listened calmly, boiling inside at Harry’s relatives. The only explanation she could figure out was that they had thrown him out. The wards around Privet Drive were very old and very strong magic, and would stand up against everything except Harry’s family telling him he had to leave and not come back. She took a deep breath to calm herself, nodded at her mother and went to tell her brother Ron that his best friend would be arriving soon.

She had taken no more than four steps out of the kitchen when chaos broke loose and she was forced to turn back to the kitchen to see what was going on. Instead of seeing the four people in the kitchen that she expected, there were six.

Petunia tried to catch her breath, her balance and her son at the same time. She had never traveled in such a peculiar way before. After a few seconds of trying to balance herself and Dudley, they both fell to the ground.

Harry reached down to help up his aunt and his cousin. Smiling wryly he said, “Takes a bit of getting used to. The landing is the hardest part.”

Harry was still in a bit of shock by all that had been revealed and all that had happened this evening. His aunt and uncle had split up. His aunt was actually being NICE toward him. This had to be some sort of bizarre dream. His mind was spinning with possibilities, each more unlikely than the next.

Molly stepped forward and pulled Harry into one of her bone crushing hugs, warily eyeing the two unknown arrivals. Harry hugged her back, and taking a deep breath turned to make the introductions.

“Everyone, this is my Aunt Petunia and my cousin Dudley. Aunt Petunia and Dudley, you have sort of met Remus Lupin, Tonks, and Alastor Moody. This is Molly and Ginny Weasley. Ron should be coming downstairs soon to find out what all the ruckus is about.” Harry watched Mrs. Weasley and Ginny as their mouths fell open and identical redheaded tempers took over. He quickly added, “It seems that a lot has changed in a very short time. If we can all sit down for a few, perhaps we can get some of this mess straightened out before we let tempers fly.” On the last part he looked directly into Ginny’s blazing eyes, begging her to be patient. She looked away, a little ashamed, but still feeling indignant that Petunia and Dudley had been brought along.

Kingsley Shacklebolt’s face appeared in the fireplace, startling Petunia who was looking around trying to take in her new surroundings. She jumped, bumped into Dudley, who in turn bumped into Tonks, knocking her forward in to Lupin. Lupin’s enhanced reflexes kept everyone from falling into a heap on the ground, but he found himself holding onto and staring at Tonks.

“Sorry to startle everyone, but the house on Privet Drive is under attack. Looks like you guys got everyone out in time, but we need some help out here to keep innocent bystanders from getting hurt. It looks like the Death Eaters are out in force this evening.”

Petunia gasped, her house was being attacked? Molly saw the frightened look on her face and said, “Let the others handle it Petunia. Muggles are no match for Death Eaters. Let’s fix something to eat and hear what happened to start this entire mess. Better for us to stay out of the way and make sure the children are settled. Ginny, go get your brother,” she said in her no-nonsense voice.

Tonks, Lupin, and Moody disappeared with pops, once again startling Petunia. Dudley just looked on in silence, still in a bit of shock.

Molly started making herself busy in the kitchen getting the sandwiches ready for everyone. Petunia shyly asked if she could help, trying to busy her own hands while she mentally tried to come to terms with everything that had happened this evening.

Molly looked Petunia up and down and decided there would be a time for anger later. For now, they needed to try and make things as normal as possible for the boys. “The pot is on the stove to make the tea. The tea itself is in the sideboard,” she said to Petunia.

Petunia looked at the stove for the knobs to get the flame started. Seeing none, she turned back to Molly.

Molly sighed, “I forgot, my fault.” She waved her wand and the stove flames leapt to life.

Petunia stifled a gasp, knowing there would be much to get used to over the next few days. She turned to the stove and started to prepare the tea.

Ginny walked quietly out of the kitchen, not believing what she had just seen. Harry’s muggle relatives were here at the headquarters for the Order. She ran up the stairs as quickly as she could. At the open door to Ron’s room, she stopped to catch her breath before speaking.

“Oi, Ginny! What’s the rush?” Ron asked, watching his sister as she panted in the doorway.

“Harry’s…….muggles……here……get……kitchen…..now,” she said trying to catch her breath.

Ron barely understood her, but realizing there were muggles and Harry in the kitchen, he followed his sister down the steps almost as quickly as she had come up them.

They stopped outside of the door to the kitchen, looking in to see their mum and Petunia working together to get tea and sandwiches made. As their mouths dropped open in shock at seeing the two women working together, Harry turned to see his friends standing in the doorway. Chuckling, he grabbed both their arms and pulled them along with him as he exited the kitchen. Still pulling them along, he stopped by the dining room table.

“Well I guess I have some explaining to do. I still don’t know everything myself, but I can catch you up to where I am, so we can all be partially clueless together. We probably will not be able to get anything else cleared up until the others get back anyway.” So he sat down and told his friends everything that he could remember from the past few days and especially the past few hours. He looked up once to Ginny’s face go from shocked to absolutely amazed as he explained that his Aunt and Uncle had split up and why. It was as if he was seeing her for the first time. When had she gone from a little girl into a young woman? He found himself looking at her long legs, her shapely figure (When had THAT happened?) her waist length red hair, and her gorgeous russet brown eyes. He was losing his train of thought here, staring at his best mate’s younger sister. Shaking his head a little, he tried to bring himself back to the matter at hand.

A few minutes later they heard many pops and two screams coming from the kitchen. Harry, Ginny and Ron ran to the kitchen to see Petunia and Dudley both blushing.

“My apologies, we are not accustomed to seeing people appear like that,” Petunia exclaimed hastily.

“Get used to it,” Harry heard Moody mutter under his breath. Harry tried not to laugh out loud.

“We got there as the Death Eaters were exiting the house. They looked disappointed that no one was home. Looks like we got you out of there just in time. But we got back in time to make sure your home was not destroyed, they only blasted a few of the flower beds. Reminded me of small children not getting their way actually.” said Remus to Petunia. He turned to Molly and the children and continued, “Aurors are still there guarding the place for the next day or two. To ensure no further attacks.”

Petunia seemed to take everything rather well given the circumstances. She looked over at Molly who was now holding a plate of sandwiches.

“Well now, I think it is time to eat. And after we eat,” said Molly as she cut a look at Petunia, “I am sure we are all interested to learn why we should be extending our hospitality to Petunia and Dudley instead of blasting them into next week.” She swept out of the kitchen and into the dining room without another glance at anyone.

Petunia gulped, trying not to choke. She calmly picked up the pot of tea and pitcher of pumpkin juice from the counter, and followed Molly into the dining room.

The others in the kitchen were in shock, not quite believing that Molly had just said what she did. Knowing that they should not leave the two women alone until something had been resolved, followed quickly. Molly could, in most cases, be counted on to be hospitable, but it was best not to push the issue.

The group ate in and uncomfortable silence, only broken by an occasional movement of a plate or chair. No one wanted to be the first to break the silence.

Petunia very nervously spoke up, “I supposed I owe everyone an explanation. If you’ll all be patient with me, this has been years in the making, it may take a few minutes to explain.”

Dudley shifted a bit uncomfortably. He was very aware of the glares coming from Ginny and Ron. He knew they did not believe things had changed. He looked around the table and could almost touch the tension in the air. Everyone seemed to be on heightened alert, as if expecting an explosion at any moment. Dudley sincerely hoped that explosion was not directed at him or his mother.

Every one at the table turned toward Petunia. She knew this was not going to be easy. She could only hope that these people believed her. She couldn’t believe that after so many years of looking down her nose at the magical world and the people involved in that world, here she was needing not only hospitality from that world, but acceptance. With all eyes on her, she began to let her story unfold.