Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Highly Improbable by Vocalion

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +




DISCLAIMER:


J.K. owns the rights to this;

She has the fame and glory.

All I have is one small space

In which to tell my story.

So, if you have a little time,

And nothing else to do,

Read this tale of Severus

And leave a kind review.


The OFC, Clancy Norgard, is my own creation. I can't really imagine that anyone else would want her.





AUTHOR'S NOTES:

This story portrays Snape in his canon characterization, but in a lighter, more humorous style. Imperfection is the theme, so Sex God Snape will not appear. I have tried to comply with canon, with the exception of references to frockcoat buttons.

Please do not judge this story solely by the prologue or the opening chapters. If you are patient, and put your mind to it, I promise you that you will be amused. Please try to allow me time to establish a credible reason for bringing my OFC to Hogwarts. If you can't wait for Snape, then you are free to skip ahead to Chapter Six for the obligatory "cute meet" scene. I wrote this story to amuse adults, so if you don't particularly care for Snape as a character, or prefer to read about the Trio, I understand perfectly, and I will release you from any further obligation.





HIGHLY IMPROBABLE

By Vocalion


Chapter 1 (Prologue): Witch In Exile







Hillary was just not cut out to be a witch.

In stark defiance of the expectations placed upon generations of pure-bloods, Hillary was a determined free spirit. From an early age, she delighted in fraternizing with Muggles. By the time she was seven, she had taught herself to sing and to play piano. Soon, she was sneaking into music halls.

Her parents hoped that once she was accepted at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, Hillary's unseemly proclivities would diminish, but they only became more pronounced. "Hufflepuff! Most definitely Hufflepuff!" proclaimed the Sorting Hat. Hillary's reaction was a mixture of elation and dread--elation because Hufflepuff House was where she knew she belonged, but dread because her parents would disapprove. She was the first member of her family ever to be sorted into a House other than Slytherin.

Never one to concern herself with the serious business of magic, Hillary dismissed Potions and the Dark Arts in favor of amusing charms and silly spells. Music was her greatest passion, and always would be.

While Hillary was attending her first year at Hogwarts, her sister Eileen was born. What little there was of affection in the household transferred to her younger sibling. Hillary was largely ignored and left to her own devices, though frequently reminded of what a disgrace she was to her family.

Upon leaving Hogwarts, Hillary settled into a flat with two Muggle roommates. She supported herself by teaching piano and voice. Not until her sister married a Muggle and gave birth to a baby boy did she resume contact with her family.

Severus, Hillary's nephew, became the center of her life. Although still an outsider in her own family, Hillary was allowed to care for Severus, staying with him whenever she could. "Aunt Hilly, I've missed you," Severus would say eagerly, whenever she arrived. She doted on the lad, giving him the genuine warmth and affection that was lacking in his parents' bleak household.

Hillary watched as her young nephew grew from a precocious toddler into a quite remarkable boy. By the age of six, Severus displayed the intelligence of a twelve-year old, and was already doing magic worthy of a second year Hogwarts student. The dark-haired boy with the trusting eyes lived for the moments when Aunt Hilly came to visit him. Only her presence in his life could lessen the trauma of his parents' loveless marriage.

One day, quite unexpectedly, Hillary fell in love. She eloped with an American Muggle jazz musician. She anticipated what her father's reaction would be, but not his response. Her father Hadrian gave her an ultimatum: "Either you leave the Wizarding world forever, or I'll kill you and your filthy Muggle husband before you produce another half-blood to disgrace me! One half-blood Prince in this family is enough! I won’t allow you to bring further dishonor to my name!”

Hillary's only choice was to leave, but how could she bear never seeing young Severus again? Hadrian would not even permit her to say goodbye to the boy. She dearly hoped Severus would remember her words to him the last time they were together: "Always believe that you have the power within you to overcome any adversity. Never forget all the love and trust you feel when we are together. Someday this unfortunate period of your life will pass, and you will learn to trust others the way that you trust me now."

She left her world behind to begin a new life in America, never knowing that Hadrian had told Eileen a very different version of the reason for her departure. "Your miserable aunt left us out of pure selfishness," Eileen told her heartbroken son. "She chose a disreputable American musician over her own family. She never loved you, Severus. She has no interest in ever seeing you again."


*~~~*~~~*


Hillary adjusted well to America, and tried to live completely as a Muggle. She was now Mrs. Ziggy Brubeck of 6500 Pennsylvania Circle, Pasadena, California.

The Brubecks lived next door to Ziggy's sister Nancy, and her husband Clarence, who were expecting their first child. When the couple was stuck for a name, Hillary proposed, "Call the baby 'Clancy'. Take the 'CL' from Clarence and the 'ANCY' from Nancy, and you've got Clancy! The name is a beautiful combination of the two of you." This seemed agreeable to all, whether the child was a boy or a girl, so that was what they did.

Hillary became the proud aunt of Clancy, a girl. She coddled and cooed her to distraction, bestowing on Clancy the love she had once showered on Severus.

As the years passed, aunt and niece grew extremely close. Clancy adored her Aunt Hilly. "Hilly" was what Severus had called her, in a child's futile attempt to pronounce "Hillary". Clancy had always called her that as well. Aunt Hilly filled Clancy's childhood with fanciful stories of mythical creatures and reminiscences of her darling nephew. Given Aunt Hilly's gift for hyperbole, Clancy imagined Severus Snape to be the most handsome, kind, intelligent boy ever to grace the earth.

Mentored by her aunt, Clancy learned all the important things and all the useless things every child should know. In addition to teaching her piano and voice, Hillary imparted to the child the delight of wordplay and the importance of seeing the ridiculous side of every situation. They attended musicals together, sang silly songs, and enjoyed each other's company immensely.

The happy years of Clancy's childhood ended all too quickly. She became a young woman, and in time lost everyone that she loved. Her father and mother passed away, followed by Uncle Ziggy. Then, the inevitable day arrived. Aunt Hilly died peacefully in her own bed, with Clancy by her side.




Author's Notes:

Before the release of HBP, Hillary was Snape's paternal aunt. Now she is his maternal aunt. That is the only revision I made to the prologue.

Special thanks to Susan for beta reading chapters 1-28.