Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Highly Improbable by Vocalion

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
HIGHLY IMPROBABLE


Chapter 34: The Hour of Parting



*~~~*~~~*


There would be no world for me,
If ever we would part.
Where I go, your name will be
Right on the tip of my heart.



*~*

Love, we know that love cannot die,
But now we’re saying goodbye.
The parting hour is here.



*~~~*~~~*


One night near the end of January, Clancy had given up waiting for Snape to join her and had retired to bed in a foul mood, only to be awakened a half hour later by a knock at her door. “What now?” she grumbled, as she slipped into her dressing gown and staggered groggily across the room.

“Yes?” she called out.

“It’s me. Let me in “ quickly,” Snape hissed from the corridor.

She released the lock, and Snape pushed his way past her, wasting no time climbing into bed.

“Bolt the door and come over here,” he ordered, before lighting a candle on the night table.

Too fatigued to argue, Clancy joined him.

“Why are you wearing that ratty old nightshirt? And why didn’t you use the Floo? I thought you were concerned about being seen coming to my room at night.”

“I haven’t felt well today. I…” Snape clutched his forearm and convulsed in pain.

“Severus! What’s wrong?”

“It’s the Dark Mark. It’s burning and becoming more visible. Don’t pretend you haven’t noticed.”

“I’ve noticed,” she said softly. “When you’re ready to talk about it, I’ll listen.”

“I wasn’t planning to visit you tonight. I retired early and woke up when I heard banging and wailing. I went to investigate, and as I passed my office, I found the torches lit and a cupboard door ajar. I decided to search for the culprit and ran into Filch on the stairs. Then Moody arrived and began accusing me of hiding something. He spouted some rubbish about spots never coming off. Then that…that map that insulted me last year turned up on the steps, and I knew Potter was there -- hiding under his Invisibility Cloak, and up to no good, as usual.”

“Harry Potter, again? When are you or Albus going to tell me why that boy seems to be at the center of everything that goes on around here?”

“Not now. Some other time,” he muttered. “My arm was hurting, so I started to return to the dungeons, but then changed my mind and doubled back up the stairs to see you.”

“Severus,” Clancy asked. “Why is the mark turning darker? Is it infected?”

“That’s one way of putting it, but not in the sense you mean.” Snape turned away from her and put out the candle. “I need to rest.”

“Then rest.” She ran her hand gently through his hair, and tried her best to fall back asleep.


*~~~*~~~*


In late February, the second task of the Triwizard Tournament was held at the lakeshore. Clancy found the proceedings quite dull. Seated in the stands next to Professor Flitwick, she asked him to explain what was going on. From a distance, she watched Cedric Diggory and the other contestants disappear beneath the water, but after that, there wasn’t much to see. Flitwick told her the contestants were to retrieve something that had been taken from them, and tried to convince her there were merpeople living in the lake, but she remained skeptical. After a time, she grew bored and returned to the castle, but she was delighted to learn later that Diggory had tied for first place.

One afternoon in early March, Snape deserted Clancy to Floo to Diagon Alley to procure potions supplies. Restless and eager for a change, she decided to accompany Professor Sprout and Madam Hooch to Hogsmeade for a late lunch. Surely, Clancy thought, Snape had exaggerated the danger of her leaving the castle. As long as she stayed close to her friends, she would be perfectly safe.

Arriving at the Three Broomsticks, Clancy and her colleagues selected a table and ordered their meals. Two witches seated nearby began conversing loudly about a lingerie sale at the Saucy Sorceress, and were boasting of the great bargains they had found. That was all Clancy needed to hear. She hadn’t been shopping in ages, and the temptation was much too strong. Directly after lunch, she set off up the High Street, after assuring Sprout and Hooch that she could find her way back to the castle alone.

Entering the shop, Clancy began her quest for the perfect little something she really didn’t need. So many enticing items caught her eye that she had difficulty deciding what to choose. As she rummaged through the racks, she was unaware of a man seated in the back, observing her critically.

A blonde woman, her arms filled with intimate apparel, emerged from one of the dressing rooms and deposited her selections unceremoniously into her husband’s lap.

“These will have to do,” she informed him drearily, as if the shop’s finest silks were substandard.

“If you insist upon slumming in Hogsmeade, Narcissa, you have no right to complain.”

“I wanted to see Draco.”

“And we have. He’s well and thriving, and you’ve delivered his sweets, so as soon as I pay, we can be on our way.”

“Lucius,” she whispered, as she suddenly noticed Clancy from across the room. “Do my eyes deceive me, or is that person a Muggle? What would a Muggle be doing in Hogsmeade? Surely she can’t be one of us. Look how she’s dressed!”

“Yes, Narcissa,” Malfoy confirmed loudly enough for Clancy to overhear. “Not only is she a Muggle, she’s Dumbledore’s pet “ another in his collection of misfits.”

“You mean, she’s the choir teacher Draco mentioned “ the one he suspects Severus is “”

“Adolescent boys have vivid imaginations. Surely even Severus could do better.”

“She’s not unattractive,” Narcissa allowed, “merely…I don’t know…she seems so…different."

“You read the article on her in the Daily Prophet, as I recall. It clearly stated that she’s an…American.”

Clancy had heard enough. She turned to face them and stared them down icily. Something in their manner disturbed her, so she averted her gaze, and exited the shop without making a purchase.

“Here,” Malfoy said, as he rose and reached into his pocket. He handed his wife a pouch filled with Galleons, and placed her selections over the back of the chair. “I’m going out for a breath of air. Take all the time you need. I’ll wait for you at Scrivenshaft’s.”

It was late afternoon as Clancy made her way back to the castle. When sharp gusts of wind began blustering down the High Street, she darted into an alleyway to seek shelter. As soon as the wind calmed, she headed back toward the street, but Malfoy rounded the corner, obstructing her path.

“What do you want?” she asked, clutching her bag tightly against her.

Malfoy smiled malevolently. “With you? Nothing.”

“Then let me pass.” She made a motion to edge around him, but he blocked her again. She took a slight step backward, as Malfoy moved toward her. Clancy watched nervously as he withdrew his wand.

“W-W-What are you doing?”

“I think you might find it educational to know what happens to Muggles who venture where they don’t belong.”

“I have every right to be here. I’m on staff at Hogwarts.” Clancy continued to back slowly down the alleyway. As she did so, she positioned her bag behind her, fumbled through it for the Summoning Bell, and then shook the bell vigorously, before returning it to her purse.

Please, Severus. Wherever you are, help me, she prayed.

“This will do for your first lesson.” Malfoy leveled his wand and muttered, “Levicorpus!”

Suddenly, Clancy rose in the air, and with a sharp tug, her body turned upside-down and she was dangling by her ankle. She blinked fearfully at the cobblestones, inches below her head.


*~~~*~~~*


Snape had just exited the apothecary shop in Diagon Alley, when he heard a shrill ringing in his ears.

Clancy!

Pinpointing the source as Hogsmeade, he Disapparated instantly. Moments later, he arrived in the village and tore down the High Street toward the alleyway. Turning the corner, he spied Malfoy. Snape composed himself, and strolled up to him casually.

“Oh, hello, Lucius,” Snape said affably. “Small world.” Turning to Clancy, he sneered, “Do come along, Miss Norgard. The headmaster has burdened me with tracking you down, yet again. He expects us in a staff meeting shortly.”

Aiming his wand, Snape sent Clancy floating out to the street, without bothering to apply the counter-curse. He regarded her callously as she glided by.

“Nuisance, that Muggle. I don’t know why Dumbledore forces me to suffer her presence.”

“You look paler than usual, Severus,” Malfoy noted, eyeing Snape carefully. “It’s odd, your showing up here at the precise moment she needed you. How do you account for it?”

“As you heard me say, Dumbledore sent me to fetch her. Now, I really must be on my way.”

Snape turned to leave, but Malfoy restrained him by the arm. “I’ve heard rumors, Severus.”

“Rumors?” Snape looked away for a moment, and then met Malfoy’s gaze. “Splendid! Then I must congratulate myself that things are proceeding according to plan.”

“What plan?” Malfoy questioned suspiciously.

“What better way to maintain my cover at the castle than by offering my friendship to a Muggle? It might amuse you to know Dumbledore trusts me so implicitly that he’s even encouraged a relationship between us,” Snape gloated, contorting his mouth into a hideous expression.

“You mean, you’re “ ”

“And why not? Her services are free, and it saves me a trip to Knockturn Alley. When the Dark Lord returns, I’ll dispose of her “ or perhaps give you the pleasure of deciding her fate. But in the meantime,” Snape sighed wearily, “I must bide my time “ however tedious the hours may be. Now, if you’ll excuse me.” Snape broke free of Malfoy’s grip and sauntered back to the High Street.

Joining Clancy, Snape whispered, “Keep still until we’re out of the village.”

“Take this spell off of me immediately!” she demanded. “I’m getting dizzy!”

“Shut up and do as you’re told,” he spat. “I’ll release you once we’re out of Malfoy’s sight."

After a time, they reached the road leading to Hogwarts. Clancy squirmed and struggled, desperate to right herself.

“Well?” she snapped.

“Well, what?” Snape grumbled, as he continued to stride angrily behind her.

“Get me down from here. Blood is rushing to my head and I’m about ready to pass out.”

“We’re still a good distance from the castle gates. Either shut your mouth, or if you prefer, I can attempt a Side-Along-Apparition.”

“Is it as bad as Floo travel?”

“Decidedly worse, when it’s your first time.” Snape looked behind them. The village was far in the distance and there was no sign of Malfoy. “Oh, very well. Liberacorpus,” he directed.

With a quick spin, Clancy’s feet touched the ground, and she collapsed on the road with a hard thud. She held her head for a moment, waiting for her wooziness to subside.

“Don’t just stand there “ help me up!”

Snape extended his hands and pulled her to her feet. He smiled down at her, in expectation of her appreciation for rushing to her aide. Instead, Clancy let fly a string of invectives.

“How dare you leave me hanging in the middle of the street, while you have a leisurely chat with that arrogant piece of pure-blood “”

“Thank you for saving my life, Severus. Thank you for dropping everything and Apparating at top speed from London to Hogsmeade to protect me,” Snape growled irritably. “Might I remind you that if you hadn’t disobeyed me, this would have never happened?”

“What took you so long to arrive?”

“What do you mean? I was here in less than a minute!”

“Well, time has a way of standing still when one is hanging by the heel!” she griped. “Why did he do that to me? Of all the stupid, childish “ ”

“Consider yourself extremely fortunate. He could have done much worse.”

“What were the two of you discussing?”

“Nothing of any consequence. You’re safe now. That’s all that matters.”

Clancy stomped toward the castle, swearing at Snape over her shoulder. “It’s lucky for you I’m wearing trousers. If I were in a dress, I’d be twice as angry! I can’t possibly expect you to understand how humiliated I feel!”

“Oh no? I’ve been on the receiving end of that curse once or twice. You’ll survive.”

“Only a fiend would use such a thing! And what kind of twisted, perverse mind would it take to create something so…so…abhorrent?”

“From one who possesses no magical abilities whatsoever, such an assessment is meaningless. It takes a brilliant mind -- a genius -- to invent spells.”

“Only an evil, corrupt monster could devise a curse like that. I hope he fries in “”

“Hello, Professor McGonagall!” Snape said, nodding to a tabby cat sitting by the side of the road.

“Minerva is here? Where?” Clancy wondered, looking all around.

The cat arched its back and hissed at Clancy, before slinking off toward the castle.

“You’ve audited her Transfiguration class. Didn’t you know?”

Clancy tilted her head and gave Snape a blank stare.

“That cat is Professor McGonagall.”

“Why would anyone name a cat after Minerva?” she asked reasonably.

Snape was beginning to lose his patience. “The cat isn’t named after McGonagall “ the cat is McGonagall.”

“Severus, don’t be absurd.” Clancy stopped abruptly to face Snape and stood on her toes. “Let me smell your breath. Did you pop into the Leaky Cauldron for a little nip?”

“No, I did not! You can ask Dumbledore, if you don’t believe me.”

“After living in the Wizarding world for almost three years, I’m willing to take your word for it, but…what for?”

“What for?” Snape repeated.

“Yes, what for? Why would anyone want to transform into a cat? What purpose does it serve?”

“It’s a very unique talent,” he tried to explain. “It’s quite useful for…well… it’s…quite useful,” he concluded, hoping she’d drop the subject.

“Can you do it?”

“Transform into a cat? Certainly not.”

“Can you turn into any other animal?”

“Why do you ask?”

“Well, I wouldn’t want to wake up some morning and find a buffalo in my bed.”

Snape regarded her with mild amusement, but made no reply.

The wind whipped up again, making it difficult to walk. Clancy was blown off her feet and fell backward against Snape.

“Can’t you do something about the wind?” she carped. “If you can spell words with snowflakes, surely you can zap a zephyr.”

“Some forms of magic are beyond even me. But if you’re too fragile, I can conjure a stretcher.”

Clancy looked up at him flirtatiously. “Piggyback is more fun.”

Snape looked around to make sure no stragglers were coming down the road. “Very well “ but only until we reach the castle gates. You’re a great deal more trouble than you’re worth, but climb aboard.”

“Thanks. You’re a prince.”

He knelt to the ground and Clancy positioned herself onto his back. Snape grunted as he rose, trying to support her weight.

“This was more fun the first time,” she reminisced as she brushed Snape’s hair away from his face. She leaned in close and nuzzled his temple.

“How could it have been? We were weary, cross, and starving,” he reminded her as he trudged along. “You were frightened by a dementor, and we both ended up in the lake.”

“Yes, you’re quite right “ but you lost your kilt, which made it all worthwhile.”

“Humph,” was Snape’s only response. After a moment, he said, “Clancy?”

“Mmm?”

“How did you happen to run into Malfoy?”

“I was shopping at the Saucy Sorceress. He was in there with some snobbish woman who must have been his wife. They looked like a matched set. I overheard them talking about me, and I became uncomfortable, so I left. I ducked into the alley to keep out of the wind, and suddenly Malfoy appeared.”

“Did he…say anything to you or threaten you in any way aside from the hex?”

“He said something about showing me what happens to Muggles who go where they don’t belong.”

“I see.” Snape knitted his brows and grew silent.

When at last they reached Hogwarts’ gates, Snape set her down and drew her close for a moment. “Promise me you’ll never leave the castle again.”

“I promise. But I was planning a trip to Pasadena at the end of term. That’s all right with you, isn’t it? I miss Rhonda. I haven’t seen her in almost two years.”

“Rhonda?”

“My best friend “ the one who’s leasing Aunt Hilly’s house. Would you mind if I left you for a few weeks?”

A few weeks, Snape thought dismally. “No, I…I wouldn’t mind.”


*~~~*~~~*


The next few months passed pleasantly for Clancy, and it seemed she had put the Lucius Malfoy incident behind her. She concentrated her attention on her choirs, rehearsing them for their Spring Concert. Thankfully, the Weasley twins had dropped out of the Harmonious Hinkypunks directly after the canary catastrophe. Eloise Midgen’s acne had shown mild improvement, and after her performance at the Yule Ball, her confidence had skyrocketed. And Ginny Weasley had developed into a decent soprano, although she lacked Eloise’s vocal power. Cedric Diggory had progressed too, within the last year. In fact, he possessed the only strong baritone in a chorus of wobbly-throated adolescent wizards, so it was not at all surprising that Clancy planned to feature him in several duets with Eloise.

As this year’s theme, Clancy selected highlights from operettas and Broadway musicals. Always eager to please, she included a wide variety of songs in the hopes of satisfying everyone. Mercifully, no major glitches occurred during the performance. Cedric and Eloise stopped the show with their emotive rendition of “Indian Love Call”. Many young witches in the audience swooned, succumbing to Diggory’s charm, while a visiting Weird Sister seated next to Professor Sprout kept his eyes exclusively on Eloise.

The following week, the third and final task of the Triwizard Tournament began at dusk at the Quidditch pitch, where a twenty-foot-high hedge had been fashioned magically to serve as a maze. As the stands began to fill, Clancy joined Professor Sprout and Eloise in the Hufflepuff section. Cedric Diggory’s parents arrived shortly thereafter, and took seats directly in front of them. Clancy exchanged pleasantries with them, as they waited for the task to begin. Both Mr. and Mrs. Diggory were wearing tall, pointed hats, making it impossible for Clancy to see anything that was going on. Meanwhile, Hagrid, along with Professors Flitwick, McGonagall, and Moody, took their positions to patrol the outside of the shrubbery, in case any of the competitors sent up red sparks from their wands to indicate that they needed rescuing.

As night fell and stars began to appear, the contestants entered the maze. The first to reach the center and collect the Triwizard Cup would be declared the winner. After forty-five minutes had passed, sparks shot up, followed by a second burst a short while later. Then, for over an hour, everyone waited for the winner to emerge with the cup.

There was much confusion and speculation amongst the crowd, until at last Harry Potter appeared on the grass near the edge of the maze. He was clutching the Triwizard Cup in one arm, and a lifeless body in the other. People began screaming, and as Clancy stood to view what was happening below, she saw Professor Dumbledore rushing over to the boy. “Wait here,” Amos Diggory instructed his wife, as he squeezed her hand. “I’ll have a word with Minister Fudge and see if I can learn what’s happened.”

Professor Sprout suggested everyone remain calm and retain their seats until Mr. Diggory came back. He returned ten minutes later, looking pale and dazed. “Come dear, come with me,” he said gently, placing his arm around his wife’s shoulder and leading her away. “There’s…been an accident. It’s…it’s…Cedric. He’s --”

“NO…NO!” the woman wailed. “Not Cedric “ not our boy!”

“Clancy,” Professor Sprout whispered solemnly, taking charge, “will you see the Hufflepuffs back to their common room? I’d better go with the Diggorys.”

She nodded absently in disbelief of what she had just heard. Grief-stricken, Clancy collected her charges and escorted them back to the castle.


*~~~*~~~*


After ensuring all of the Hufflepuffs were safely in their quarters, Clancy ascended the steps to the entry hall. She saw Professors Dumbledore, McGonagall, and Snape charging up the main staircase. The expression on Dumbledore’s face alarmed her. She’d never seen him wear such an intense look of rage. Then Flitwick entered the castle, leading a group of first year Ravenclaws. He was dabbing his eyes with his handkerchief.

She approached him. “What’s “”

“Not now, Clancy,” he squeaked impatiently. “Please “ go to your room and stay there until morning.”

By the time she crawled into bed, it was after ten o’clock. It was impossible for her to fall asleep. What in the world had happened? Hogwarts was in a state of panic, Cedric Diggory was dead, and Clancy needed answers. Where was Snape? Why hadn’t he come to her? Trembling and uncertain, she lay staring at the ceiling.

A long time passed and still, sleep would not come. She gazed vacantly at the candle dwindling on her bed table, and tried to concentrate on the ticking of the mantle clock “ anything to take her mind off Cedric. She started in fear when she heard urgent banging at her door. Clancy leapt from her bed to find out who was there.

“Severus, is that you?” she asked cautiously.

“Yes.”

She opened the door and Snape entered. He appeared very grim. “I can’t stay,” he began. “Dumbledore is sending me on assignment. I came to say goodbye.” His dark eyes studied her face intently.

“Goodbye? Severus, what do you mean? Where are you going? How long will you be gone?”

Snape crossed over to the fire and began pacing nervously. At last, he paused and said, “Clancy, listen to me. There’s no time to explain. Dumbledore will speak with you in the morning. I must leave.” Without even stopping to embrace her, he headed toward the door.

“Severus, wait!” she pleaded. “What happened in the maze? How did Cedric die?”

“The Triwizard Cup was a Portkey. Diggory was murdered.”

“Murdered! How”by whom”I don’t understand.”

Snape closed his eyes and clenched his jaw, as he tried to decide how much to tell her.

“Severus,” she asked again. “What is it you’re keeping from me?”

“The Dark Lord has returned,” he choked out.

“The Dark Lord has “” Clancy stopped, realizing what Snape was about to do. “Severus, you can’t! Please, you mustn’t go. It might be dangerous.”

“Yes, it might be dangerous,” he emphasized bitterly. Snape grasped Clancy’s shoulders and glared into her eyes. “I told you this day was coming “ I tried to prepare you.”

“Albus can’t make you do this! Just tell him no!”

“There’s no time to argue. I forfeited the right to refuse Dumbledore years ago. I must do whatever he asks of me.” Snape continued to stare at her fixedly, as if trying to memorize her face. “Goodbye, Clancy,” he said abruptly, and then he swept hurriedly out the door.


*~~~*~~~*


The next morning, Snape went directly to Dumbledore’s office to meet with him privately, never thinking to inform Clancy that he had returned safely. After listening to his report, Dumbledore sought clarification on a few points.

“Then he wishes for you to stay at Hogwarts and to gather information on my activities?”

“Yes, Headmaster, that is the plan.”

“And you had little difficulty convincing him that you’d remained loyal to him all these years?” Dumbledore inquired.

“He was displeased with me initially for arriving late, but when I told him it would look better if I returned to him on your orders instead of his, I was able to deceive him. It wasn’t easy,” Snape revealed despairingly, “but I blocked his Legilimency completely and provided logical alternative explanations for my actions over the years.”

“Very good, Severus.” Dumbledore leaned back in his desk chair and tugged at his beard broodingly. “Very good.”

“Will that be all, Headmaster?” Snape asked, rising from his chair. “I could do with some rest.”

“Not quite.” Dumbledore motioned for him to resume his seat. “I appreciate the ordeal you’ve been through, but there’s one more matter we must discuss. Will you have the potion ready in time?”

“I am still fine-tuning it. Its effects are generally meant to last for a short period. I’ve had to strengthen the formula considerably for what is required. The timing of its administration is crucial, as well…” Snape trailed off distractedly before adding, “Are you certain there is no other way?”

“I have considered all options, and yes, I believe there is no other way. As none of us knows what lies ahead or what course we must follow, the Fidelius Charm would be too risky, as would Obliviation. Many Muggles have a severe reaction to it, which can lead to irreversible damage. No, I feel the Forgetfulness Potion is the best solution.”

“But as I said, the timing is crucial, and its effectiveness is inexact. Some fragments of memory may slip through. It’s heartless enough that you expect me to brew it. I cannot bring myself to be the one to give it to her.”

“That’s already been arranged. I’ve been in touch with Remus. He will meet Clancy at King’s Cross Station and escort her to the airport to ensure that she boards the plane.”

“LUPIN? Why Lupin? Why must he be the last man she sees before…”

“Before she forgets that our world or any of us ever existed? Clancy knows Lupin and trusts him. He is the best man for the job, just as you are the best man for yours. You must learn to bury old grudges, Severus, and I do know how painful this must be for you.”

“Why did you bring her here?” Snape spat violently, suddenly lashing out at Dumbledore. “How could you, knowing what was to come? You don’t find it cruel to grant me a fleeting moment of happiness only to snatch it away again? I often wonder which of the two masters I serve is the most brutal,” he concluded miserably.

“Do you indeed?” Dumbledore smiled understandingly at Snape. “I wanted to show you what your future might hold, should you survive. “And,” he added pointedly, “should you allow yourself to grow up.”

Snape scowled deeply, furrowing his brow and digging his nails into his knees.

“I trust you to do the right thing, Severus. Whether you are capable of recognizing what the right thing is, however, is often debatable.”

“You doubt my loyalty to you “ even now?”

“I’ve never doubted your loyalty to me for an instant. But, permit me to observe that as a man, and as a suitable future husband for Clancy, you’re a sorry piece of work.”

Snape’s eyes flashed with fury. “You dare to jest about my future? We both know I’m doomed.”

“Death comes when it comes, Severus. In the meantime, we must never forget to live. I think it’s time I shared something with you.”

“What now “ yet another one of your nauseating lectures on the redemptive power of love?”

“Oh, much better than that.” Dumbledore reached into one of his desk drawers and withdrew a scrap of parchment. With a wave of his hand, he sent it sailing into Snape’s lap. “Not only am I optimistic that you will survive, may I be the first to congratulate you on becoming a father?”

“WHAT? At last you really have gone mad.”

“I suggest you read the note.”

Snape frowned dubiously, but unfolded it and began to read it aloud.

Dear Professor Dumbledore,

A Poem for You, FUN TRUE CLUE

One named for lust
Sends A SHARPENED GUST
Of clues to remove the wedge.
A RED GNAT PUSHES
Through mysterious bushes
Can you find me beyond the Hedge?

Love,

FIE! CUTE RUNE!


Snape tossed the note down on Dumbledore’s desk. “Why do you waste my time with this nonsense? This is nothing more than a childish riddle “ and the handwriting is very poor “ nearly impossible to read.”

“Yes,” Dumbledore agreed innocently. “Sometimes poor handwriting is hereditary.”

Snape looked befuddled.

“The capitalized letters are anagrams,” he explained, reaching for the note. “Allow me to decipher it for you.”

Dear Professor Dumbledore,

A poem for you, FUTURE UNCLE

One named for lust sends
SNAPE’S DAUGHTER
Of clues to remove the wedge.
SNAPE’S DAUGHTER
Through mysterious bushes
Can you find me beyond the Hedge?

Love,

FUTURE NIECE



Snape still looked perplexed. “Apparently this drivel means something to you. I realize you expect me to sit here idly at the whim of your humor, but do you intend to eventually come to the point? What’s this talk of a hedge “ something to do with the maze?”

“No, Severus. This has nothing to do with the maze. It appears that when I sent you to return Clancy to the castle two years ago, the two of you managed to inadvertently Time Travel.”

“We certainly found ourselves in every other type of predicament imaginable, but I believe we avoided that one.”

“Did you notice the water damage on the note?”

“Yes. What of it?”

“One of the house-elves found it in the pocket of Clancy’s jacket “ the one she was wearing when the two of you decided to cool off your tempers in the lake. I am convinced, although the course of the future can be influenced by many variables, there is an excellent chance you will survive the war, and that you and Clancy will someday marry and produce a child. Preferably in that order,” Dumbledore tacked on, giving Snape a stern look over the top of his spectacles.”

Snape was not so easily persuaded. “How can you say with any degree of certainty that Clancy is the mother?”

“The note was found in her pocket, and its author shows a flair for anagrams, which I doubt was inherited from you, Severus. What more proof do you require?”

“But how can you be her uncle?” Snape insisted. “You’re already “”

“Past my prime, long in the tooth, one foot in the grave?” Dumbledore provided.

“Well, yes, not to put too fine a point on it.”

“The future is imprecise. Do you recall venturing into the Forbidden Forest with Clancy?”

Snape nodded.

“The outer edge of the Forbidden Forest contains a magical shrubbery known as the Hedge of Cronos. Anyone passing through it will be transported to the past. I placed a Memory Charm on the Hedge many years ago to prevent unsuspecting travelers from remembering information that could alter past or future events. It is much too dangerous, and it could lead to serious consequences. As your daughter with the mysterious, lustful name, found a way to circumvent the charm, I think even Sybill would be able to predict she will be Sorted into Slytherin House.”

“But you haven’t answered my question: How could you be her uncle?” Snape demanded.

“Ah, Severus. That is the beauty of wordplay. 'Hedge' has more than one meaning, you know. It can also mean an evasion “ an unclear response intended to…beat around the bush.”

Snape winced and gritted his teeth, steeling himself against Dumbledore’s facetiousness.

“The future is nothing more than a lantern casting vague shadows upon a wall. We cannot know precisely what our destiny holds. I realize my time is short, and I am prepared to meet death when it comes. I interpret the note to mean that perhaps I am her honorary uncle, or that perhaps one day, when my portrait joins the ranks of Hogwarts former headmasters adorning these walls, your future offspring will engage my image in a rousing game of anagrams.”

Dumbledore smiled placidly, as if the idea held great appeal to him. Then, rising suddenly, he said, “That will be all for now, Severus. I need to meet with the Diggorys shortly. I suggest you spend the week concentrating on the potion. As soon as you have it ready, I’ll deliver it to Remus personally. And be sure to conceal the antidote in a safe place.”

“But””

“That will be all, Severus.”

“Yes, Headmaster,” Snape responded obediently before withdrawing.

Dumbledore approached the phoenix, as if to seek its opinion. “I wonder, Fawkes. What sort of name having to do with lust would be suitable for Severus’ and Clancy’s daughter? Wantonia? Lascivia? Brazenia? Salacia?”

The majestic plumed bird trilled its note of approval for its master’s last proposal.

“Yes! Yes! You’re right. Salacia “ the Roman goddess of saltwater. I believe I’ll suggest that.”


*~~~*~~~*


Clancy saw little of Snape over the next week. He explained to her in the vaguest of terms that all was well and she was not to worry, but beyond that, he was reticent to discuss what had occurred when he had met with Voldemort. He began spending long hours in his potions lab, and conveyed to her that he had more important matters weighing on his mind than visiting her in the evenings.

Professor Dumbledore’s behavior toward her was as equivocal as Snape’s. Clancy asked him directly about Cedric, but he advised her to be patient, and told her he intended to address the circumstances of the boy’s death at the Leaving Feast. He encouraged Clancy to keep her mind on her upcoming holiday, and he observed frequently how a change would do her good. Whenever she pressed him for information, he made feeble excuses and offered her a Peppermint Humbug.

Snape labored over the Forgetfulness Potion, calibrating the ingredients meticulously until at last, he was satisfied. But Dumbledore’s absurd revelations lingered in his mind. What if he did survive? How could he be sure he could get Clancy back? The antidote, which he’d hidden cleverly inside an empty Dr. Pepper can in his dungeons storeroom, would restore her memory, but if she forgot him completely, what would prevent her from falling in love with someone else in the meantime? His ego could not entertain the prospect of her taking up with another man, so he decided to add something extra to the potion.

Retrieving a packet of dried flowers from his cabinet, Snape emptied it into a mortar and began crushing tiny blue petals with a pestle. I can’t prevent Clancy from dating other men, but she’ll never fall in love with any of them. Once I add a drop of my blood to the myosotis scorpioides, she’ll never be able to forget me…even if she can’t remember who the hell I am.

Pricking his finger with a sharp blade, he squeezed a bead of blood from his oily pores, and mixed it into the ground petals. Snape added it to the brew, and then left it to simmer. Quite pleased with himself for sorting out the perfect Slytherin solution, he strode toward his quarters in a rare, sanguine mood.


*~~~*~~~*


The Leaving Feast was a somber affair, with the Great Hall decorated in black drapes in Cedric’s memory. Professor Dumbledore gave a moving speech and called upon everyone to rise, and raise their goblets in Diggory’s honor. He announced that Lord Voldemort had returned, and had been responsible for the boy’s murder. Then, much to Clancy’s surprise, Dumbledore praised Harry Potter for his bravery in escaping from Voldemort and returning Cedric’s body to Hogwarts. As they raised their goblets to Harry, Clancy glanced at Snape. She suspected he was stung when Dumbledore remarked that the young Gryffindor had exhibited “bravery that few wizards had ever shown in facing Lord Voldemort”, and she noted that a number of Slytherin students remained seated.

After the meal, Dumbledore introduced Clancy to the real Professor Moody, who flinched as Clancy extended her hand to greet him. She was compassionate when she learned he’d spent the last eight months stuffed inside a cramped trunk, but she considered him just as frightening as his Polyjuice-dosed replacement.

The following morning, Clancy had just finished packing when Snape Flooed to her room. His entrance was met with a notable lack of enthusiasm.

“I was wondering if you were planning on saying goodbye to me. It might have been thoughtful if you’d visited me last night. You’ve been distant for the past week “ why?”

“Dumbledore has kept me extremely busy working on a special project,” Snape explained.

“Are you planning on seeing me to the train?”

“You know I can’t do that. The station will be filled with students. We’d better say our goodbyes here.” Snape reached into his pocket and produced Clancy’s silver ring. “I thought I’d return this to you.”

He approached her and she did not protest when he slipped it on her finger. Drawing her into his arms, he whispered, “ Adhaereo Digitus.”

“What?”

“Nothing. Merely a Latin term of endearment.”

“Really?” Clancy wasn’t entirely sure she believed him, but she didn’t want to start an argument.

“The carriages will be leaving soon. Have you packed everything?”

“Only what I’ll need for the plane flight. I’m taking the largest trunk with me, but leaving it empty, so I can bring back more of my belongings from Pasadena when I return.”

“Yes,” Snape murmured, “when you return.”

Clancy felt his body tense as he held her.

“Severus, is anything wrong?”

Before he could respond, there was a knock at the door, and Clancy crossed the room to open it. Hagrid was there to take her luggage down to the carriages.

“Won’ be but a few minutes till we leave, Miss Norgard,” he reminded her.

“All right, Hagrid, I’ll be right along.”

As soon as Hagrid had gone, Snape embraced her and kissed her with a ferocity that overwhelmed her.

“I take it you’ll miss me, then?” she inquired coquettishly.

Snape forced his mouth into a thin smile. “A trifle.”

“Well, for you that’s quite a declaration, but I’ll miss you a great deal more than a trifle,” she assured him. “Now, don’t look so forlorn, Severus. I’ll be back in three weeks “ surely you don’t think I could forget you in that length of time!”

They kissed once more, and then she headed toward the door.

“Will you walk down the stairs with me, at least?” she asked, pausing at the threshold.

Snape shook his head, but didn’t speak.

“Oh, all right “ have it your way. Promise me you won’t take any foolish chances, Severus. By the way, no matter what Albus said about Harry Potter at the Feast, I think you’re just as courageous. That must have been the hardest thing you’ve ever done “ going back to Voldemort that night.”

After blowing Snape a farewell kiss, Clancy took off down the corridor.

Snape remained in her room and sat down on the edge of her bed. Not quite, Clancy, he reflected, not quite.


*~~~*~~~*


AUTHOR’S NOTES:

Myosotis scorpioides: Latin name for forget-me-nots.

Never in a Million Years
~ By Mack Gordon and Harry Revel

The Hour of Parting
~ By Gus Kahn and Mischa Spoliansky

Special thanks to LariLee for beta reading.