Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Setbacks and Inspirations by kkkkkellllly12

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Disclaimer: All characters and things recognized belong to J.K Rowling and the books she has authored.

Setbacks and Inspirations
Ch.2 “ Numb


Numbness was all Lily felt, or didn’t feel, as she slowly regained consciousness. What she did feel was confused. She could barely see and her eyes stung immensely from the bright lights that seemed to surround her.

Lily, who was beginning to panic, frantically searched her surroundings for something, anything that looked familiar. Everything was blurry, something that scared her even further. She couldn’t move her body and as she frantically searched for signs that weren’t there. Lily started to remember the events that had happened between Lord Voldemort and herself.

She sensed movement toward her left. She turned to see a blurred figure approach her, only to walk off in a hurry.

“She’s awake!” called a familiar voice in the distance.
“Merlin, she’s awake! Contact Joseph and Julie immediately and inform them that their daughter is finally conscious.”

About ten seconds later, the figure with the familiar voice returned. This time she was with a few others who were dressed in white robes.

Lily tried to speak, but no sound escaped her lips except those of painful coughs resulting from an extremely dry throat.

“Don’t try to speak Miss Evans,” said a man’s voice. “I know you must be confused, so I would like to inform you that everything is under control. Professor McGonagall and I will explain all there is to know.”

As Professor Dumbledore spoke, someone who had to be a nurse brought a sweet smelling liquid to her lips. “It will cure your throat miss,” she explained, so Lily swallowed it.

“Professor Dumbledore is that you?” asked Lily, feeling the liquid come into effect almost immediately.

“Indeed Miss Evans, now let us explain.”

“Eight days ago”, Professor McGonagall began, “incase you do not remember, you had a rather horrible encounter with the Dark Lord.”

“Do you remember anything about this encounter Lily?” asked Dumbledore.

“Yes, yes of course I remember. Where am I exactly professor?”

“You’re in St.Mungo’s Hospital. You have been for eight days now,” replied McGonagall.

“I heard my parent’s names earlier. Where are they? Voldemort didn’t harm them did he?” Lily asked worriedly.

Though Minerva flinched at Voldemorts name, she answered. “Your parents weren’t hurt at all. Your parents aren’t permitted to enter a magical hospital, and that’s why they aren’t here now.”

“What’s wrong with my eyesight, I can hardly see anything,” said Lily, a little more relaxed now.

“It is an unavoidable side affect from the curse He Who Must Not Be Named threw upon you. It should wear off in a few weeks,” Dumbledore answered. “Do you have any more questions before we must leave you? I know you must be extremely curious after all that has happened.”

Lily thought for a while and then decided to ask, “Why me? Why would the strongest dark wizard want any muggleborn, a mudblood, to join him? I just don’t understand.”

“Well,” said Dumbledore, “there are a few things that I haven’t exactly been honest to you about.”

Quite puzzled, Lily replied, “Well, what is it then?”

“Hmm, how to tell you, how to tell you,” mumbled the elderly professor. “Well, I guess I’ll just explain everything.”

If anything Lily looked even more perplexed.

“Since the beginning of time,” he began, “with every new generation, a certain kind of person has been born. Either magical or muggle, it has not seemed to matter. These, well, these certain kind of people are truly special Lily, and unique in their own ways. It is hard to describe them, hard to classify them, for they are never the same as the certain kinds of people who have been born before them. You Lily Evans, are your generation’s truly special and unique, certain kind of person.”

“I’m sorry professor, but if anything you have managed to confuse me even further,” Lily admitted regretfully.

Professor McGonagall wisely intervened, “Lily you, are what is known to be an Unknown. You are the Unknown of your generation. We, the ministry, Professor Dumbledore and I, have known since your third year.”

“Yes, it came as quite a surprise actually. One day we’re in the middle of a meeting, and then all of a sudden some woman’s gone cross-eyed and has started reciting some prophecy.”

“Wait, wait, wait, wait, wait,” interrupted Lily. “Aren’t you going to tell me more about these Unknown people? What can they do? I mean I’m already satisfied with being a witch and everything, but this sounds interesting.”

“Well,” answered Albus, “that’s the thing. All unknowns have different talents and they are usually extremely well hidden. It is impossible to know what to expect. An Unknown’s talents are famous for showing up rather unexpectedly.”

“Really, well that doesn’t explain why Voldemort would want me to join him. For all he knows my powers could be somewhat, well, shitty.

Minerva frowned at this while Dumbledore chuckled. “I am guessing that he does not want to take a chance. Some of the most powerful wizards have been Unknowns.”

Merlin,” said an amazed Lily.

“You are correct,” he retorted, eyes twinkling.

“Sorry?” she asked.

“You’re right, Merlin was an Unknown.”

“You’re joking!” accused Lily, astonished.

“No joke,” laughed Dumbledore. “Now, your parents were extremely frightened by this whole ordeal. Your friends were as well. They couldn’t come to see you however. The ministry wouldn’t allow it.”

“Well why not?”

“I’m not sure actually,” replied the professor,“but to your right you will find quite a lot of treats and presents that they managed to send you. There are some from your parents as well.”

Lily reached out and sure enough there was a mountain of things. She felt a ting of comfort as she thought of Rylie, Charlie and her parents.

Professor Dumbledore looked at his watch and then back at Lily. “I’m really sorry about this, but Minerva and I have much important business to attend to. We must be going now.”

“Already? But I have so many more questions to ask you. Like…like why I can’t move.”

“Miss Evans, we really must be leaving now. I’m sure this is just another curable side-affect,” responded Minerva, patting her leg before walking toward the door with Dumbledore. “Get some rest; I’m sure we’ll see you sooner than later, at Hogwarts of course. Take care Lily.”

“I’ve had quite enough rest thank you,” Lily grumbled sullenly, as they walked out the door.

Lily was mistaken though as she found herself drifting of to sleep.
___________________________________________________

She awoke as she heard footsteps again toward her left. His voice revealed himself as a man.

“Hello Miss Evans, I’m Doctor Hopkins”

“Pleased to meat you,” she replied groggily. “What seems to be the problem? You know, besides the fact that I can barely move or see.”

The doctor sat down on a chair beside her. This made her realize that he definitely didn’t have good news.

“Well, we did some tests and as you probably already know, you were cursed with claudus.”

“Go on,” urged Lily.

“Well, this curse is pretty new and not many people have been affected by it. This means we don’t know much about it. Miss Evans, this means we don’t the cures to some of its affects.”

Lily didn’t like the sound of this and was beginning to regret asking what was wrong with her.

“We know that the curse causes blindness, it paralyzes and it disallows a person to talk. So far we have found cures for the blindness and as is obvious, the affect it has on a person’s talking abilities. We have not, however, been able to find any cure for the paralyzing affect Lily and I’m sorry to say that until we find a cure, you won’t be able to walk.”

“How long have you been looking for one Sir?” She asked holding back tears and starting to feel faint.

“It’s been years,” he admitted, sounding somewhat guiltily.

Lily was dumfounded. She didn’t know what to do, or say or think. This doctor was telling her that she would probably never walk again.

Once more for Lily, all was black.