Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Setbacks and Inspirations by kkkkkellllly12

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Disclaimer: All characters and things recognized belong to J.K Rowling and the books she has authored.


Setbacks and Inspirations
Ch. 3 “ What a Predicament


The next week and a half were painful and unbearable for Lily. After undergoing numerous tests that never seemed to have promising or unexpected results, she was feeling miserable and depressed.

*************************************************************

As Lily woke up a few hours after she had first blacked out in the hospital. She felt a heavy weight on her stomach. She reached to feel the feathers of an unfamiliar owl. She felt for the parcels he carried and found them. After they were untied from the owl’s legs, she fed him some of the chestnuts she had discovered earlier from the pile of things at her right side. He was gone almost instantly.

‘This isn’t very good,’ thought Lily. ‘I’ve got plenty of mail and I can’t even read it.’

Her vision was still terrible.

She threw the parcels aside, rather frustrated. Understandably, Lily was still quite shaken by the fact that she might never walk again. She might never be able to play Quidditch, and the ministry couldn’t possibly want a paralysed auror.

She had taken so many things for granted in the past. Never had she dreamed of something like this happening to her. In her mind, she would have to start completely anew. Not only would she need a new and completely different dream, a new and completely different lifestyle would be needed as well. Her old plan seemed unreachable now. She would need a new one. For the moment though, she would just settle on a little bit of crying.

Sometimes, it feels good just to cry.

***************************************************************

Three days later, her eyesight was back to normal and she was as miserable as ever.

“Well,” said Mr. Hopkins. “We just need to perform a few more tests and then you should be able to go home. Your eyesight has undoubtedly recovered along with your speaking abilities. ”

Extremely grumpy and pessimistic from endless hours of doing nothing but tests, Lily simply glared at him and said, “I’m not going through any more of your tests. They are a waste of time.”

“You should take the tests for your own good, but I’m not here to force you into anything.”

“Good,” she said. “You aren’t as stupid as I thought you were.”

The healer stood, all the while hiding a small grin behind his hand. “Well thank you, I think.”

“You’re welcome.” Her anger receded and a tiny smile touched her lips.

“You can leave in a day, and you can take the wheelchair you’ve been using if you like,” He headed for the door. “And you should answer those letters. They must be worried sick about you.”
“Wait, Healer!”

“Yes?” he asked, poking his head back inside her room.

“Do any of them know about me being, you know, paralysed?”

“I’m pretty sure no one from the hospital has informed them. I think only Professor McGonagall or Dumbledore could have.”

“Alright.”

She reached for the letters and grabbed all three. One was from her parents, one from Riley, and the other from Charlie.

*****************************************

Dear Lily,

This has to be the twentieth letter I’ve written and I have gotten absolutely no response from you. Please tell me you’re alright! They won’t tell us anything (bloody ministry) and we’ve been so worried; Riley and I that is.

I have a feeling the ministry has been monitoring all of my out-going mail, so I sent this letter from my uncle’s house. I also sent one for your parents and another for Riley.

Anyway, I have no idea what has happened to you or how you are now. All I know is that you’re in St. Mungo’s Hospital. Riley and I made sure to get you your favourite sweets, lollies, and such. You see, my mother is friends with one of the nurses and, well, you could say she did us a few favours. She won’t tell us anything about you either though.

We tried to visit you a few times but there’s just no getting past the ministry’s watchful eye! Please, if there is anything we can do for you just tell us!

Love,
Charlie

P.S. Please talk to Riley for me. I think she’s quite scared for you. I mean, she looks as cool as a cucumber but deep inside she’s undoubtedly downright frantic about everything!”

P.P.S. My mum and dad also send to you their love.

***************************************************************

Lily

Please tell me you’re okay because Charlie’s been such a mess. Everyday I’ve been getting loads of letters from her. They’re more like notes actually. Usually one-liners. ‘What if she’s not alright?!’, ‘What would we do without her?!’, ‘Oh Merlin, what should we do?!’

Lily, I think she’s driving me mad.

I know you’re all right. It’s really Charlie I’m worried about. You should really try to contact her, you know, to calm her down a bit.

Anyway, don’t be afraid to ask if you need or want anything. We have our sources. No joke. ;)

If you want to contact me, just send your letter to Charlie’s uncle (the bloke with the mole, not the blond one). And, you know, I really wouldn’t mind knowing how you are and what’s happened to you.

Yours Truly,
Riley

P.S I’ll see you on the train on Thursday. Don’t be late.

**********************************************************************

Lily

My God am I furious! It’s been nearly two weeks since we’ve heard a word of you! The bloody wizards at the ministry are too stubborn for their own good. They have no right! I mean, you are our daughter; we should have some means of contact! It’s just not right!

Anyway, how are you Lily and what in hell happened? First thing you know you’re setting the dinner table and the next, there’s a stampede of Aurors coming through the front door. They wouldn’t explain anything or even let us see you. At least Dumbledore told us that you would be all right. That calmed your mother and me down a tad.

Please send us news as to how you are doing, and to what in hell has happened. We are still very worried!

Love,
Your Mom and Dad

P.S Petunia says hello.

***************************************************************

Lily got out some parchment and a quill, not sure how to respond. She didn’t want her friends to worry and she knew that they would if they knew the truth about her condition. Her parents however, she would have to tell, since she would be seeing them tomorrow.

She wrote to Charlie, Riley and her parents, telling her friends that she was all right and that she would explain everything on the train. She related to her parents, however, the whole truth.

“Send these to Charlie’s uncle,” She said to her owl Bay. “The one with the mole.”


**************************************************************