Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Setbacks and Inspirations by kkkkkellllly12

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Disclaimer: All characters and things recognized belong to J.K Rowling and the books she has authored.

Setbacks and Inspirations
Ch.5 Magical Goggles


Lily’s eyes grew wide.

How can I be so stupid? Merlin, all you had to do was lock the bloody door , she thought to herself.

As the rowdy boys entered, she recognized them instantly. It was Peter, Sirius, James, and Remus. This was going to be a long train ride.

She saw Peter Pettigrew first; his shortness stood out next to the three tall boys beside him. His unkempt hair was thin and blonde and his eyes were small and watery. He had a pasty complexion with a rat-like face. Lily had always been interested in him and her curiousness usually annoyed Peter. She did not know much about him at all and this fueled her curiosity. She did know that he despised Charlie for reasons unknown to anyone but Peter, and that Charlie was quite frightened by him. Rylie’s feelings were opposite. She was harsh toward him for causing Charlie’s discomfort. Peter seemed to worship James and Sirius, but his skill level was nowhere near theirs.

She could see Sirius Black behind Peter. He was taller and had more of a quidditch build, not unlike James. His eyes were grey and fathomless and the hair that hid them was black as coal. Sirius was very good-looking and his laugh resembled that of a dog’s bark. Lily and Sirius were not well acquainted but like most fellow Gryffindor, for various projects in the past they had collaborated. Through conversation, Lily knew that he was born into a pureblooded family, and that he was the eldest of two sons. When he was sixteen he moved in with James, and his cousins were the infamous Bellatrix, Narcissa, and Andromeda Black.

Beside Sirius was James Potter. His disorderly hair was always the first thing she noticed and sometimes she wished she could just get her hands on it. It simply could not be controlled he claimed but Lily never gave up hope that she might be the one to conquer it one day. Other than his hair, Lily did not have much interest in him. She was always wary of him for he was a prankster, though he never attempted anything on her. Neither did Sirius but she did not know why. James had been known to be fond of Lily in the past. He would ask her out almost frequently. Now that they were “mature”, they were now no more than respectable acquaintances, opposed to the hell-raising relationship they once shared. When people asked him about the infatuation he had with Lily he simply stated,

“It was nothing but a silly crush. Challenges, unfortunately, were what usually attracted me. Not anymore though.”

Lily did not know whether to feel relieved or insulted about this.

The tall boy on the other side of Sirius was Remus Lupin. He and Lily were uncomfortable with each other though no one, not even them, knew why. In most of their encounters, this resulted in awkward conversations and situations. Remus had light brown hair, his voice was slightly hoarse, and for some reason she could not recall his eye-color. He constantly looked ill or exhausted in the shabby clothes he always wore. Lily also knew he was a half-blood wizard.

***************************************************************

All four boys took a seat opposite her bench, but not one of them seemed to notice Lily. They were conversing like she was not even there and after ten minutes her heart started to beat at a normal pace once again. It would take a few more hours to get to Hogwarts and they were bound to notice her sometime. At least she was expecting it and would be prepared.

Lily looked out of the window and at the many treetops that they were passing by. Her eyelids started to droop and in no time, she fell asleep for the second time that day.

***************************************************************

Two hours passed as Lily dreamt of nothing. She was now gaining consciousness and could just barely interpret what the Marauders were saying.

“Your parents got you those for you birthday Prongs?” asked Remus.

“Yes they’re actually quite neat if I do say so myself.”

“Well, can they do anything?”

“Of course they can Wormtail. They wouldn’t be very neat if they couldn’t do anything.”

“Do they have a name?” questioned Remus.

“They’re called Goggle Woggles.”

“That sounds ridiculous. Goggle Woggles. What a laugh.”

“Oh, don’t be jealous Padfoot. You just wish you owned a pair yourself.”

“Yes. Yes, that’s it. I’m jealous of your magnificent Goggle Woggles. They probably can’t do anything but I’m jealous of them. Hand them over so we, Woggles and I, can ride off together into the beautiful sunset. I can’t wait to touch their soft leather strap, their beautiful, shapely…”

“Please stop him before I lose my lunch,” interrupted Remus.
“If you don’t believe me than stand up Padfoot. Over there,” instructed James.

“As you wish master,” he replied rather dryly.

“All right now. What you do is hold them up to your eyes like this and say REVELIO.”

“And?” asked Sirius.

And Sirius… you’re modeling some very stylish boxers with the reddest of red hearts on them.”

“Blimey, that’s wicked that is!” exclaimed Peter.

“No it’s not. I always wear white boxers with red hearts on them. I’ve got like, seven pairs!”

“Who cares? They work don’t they?” retorted James, sounding annoyed and offended that his best friend was not impressed.

“Of course they work. What kind of boxers don’t work?”

“Oh you’re so funny Padfoot. I can’t help but laugh my ass off. Please stop. I can’t breathe. I…”

“Whatever,” Sirius interrupted, “they sound useless if you ask me.”

“No one did ask you. Just drop it,” demanded James.

“Well why don’t you let me try them if they’re so brilliant,” he responded in an exasperated tone.

“Why should I? They’re useless remember?” was James’ retort.

“Well that doesn’t matter. Useless things can be pleasant. Now hand them hear.”

“Just let him try them Prongs. He might never stop talking if you don’t,” ordered a tired Remus.

“Moony’s right Prongs. If you don’t let me try them I might never ever…ever…ever…ever…ever…ever…ever…ever…ever…ever…
ever… ever…ever…ever…”

“Okay, okay. Take them and shove off you git.”

“A million thank yous my dove, my flower, my…”

“I said shove off Padfoot.”

There was a little bit of a shuffling noise provided by Sirius before she could here him beginning.

REVELIO! ” he shouted. “Nice undershirt Wormtail. Really, it’s a nice touch. Hmm… boxers or briefs Moony? REVIOLIO! Boxers, good choice.”

As Lily heard more shuffling, she began to awaken further.

“You know, these could come in handy. With girls I mean. What were your parents thinking giving you a device that can see through clothes?”

The shuffling was coming closer and Lily began to realize what was about to happen. Before she could stop him, Sirius shouted a final“REVELIO!”

Lily opened her eyes in terror to see a tall figure towering over her. It was definite that it was Sirius concealed behind the bizarre looking glasses.
He was completely quiet and motionless before he let out a roar of “BLOODY HELL!”

*********
A.N - If you liked it, review. If you didn't, review anyway! :)
P.S, big thanks to my beta Adriana