Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Hermione Granger and the Love Potion by hermione4harry

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Three.


When Hermione woke up the next morning, she felt groggy. The previous night was somewhat of a blur. She rolled around on her bed, with her eyes still closed, tangling herself in the sheets, thankful that it was Sunday and there were no classes.

The night before rushed back to her mind and she sat bolt upright with her hands on her face.

“Oh, no,” she whispered aloud, “What have I done?”

Hermione knew the only person she could confide in was Ginny and set out in search for her after she had dressed quickly.

When she couldn’t find her in the fifth year dormitory, she went down into the common room. Neville and Parvati sat really close on the couch together, deep in conversation. Hermione waved at them.

“I love Parvati,” Neville said for no apparent reason.

Hermione’s mouth dropped open and she shook her head laughing, “That’s wonderful Neville.”

Hermione looked at Parvati, a curious look on her face. Parvati smiled and pressed a finger to her lips. Hermione shook her head again and continued her search.


She found Ginny in the Great Hall. Grabbing a few slices of toast, she pulled Ginny all the way outside.

“Hermione, where are we going?” Ginny asked, struggling slightly against Hermione’s grip.

Hermione didn’t answer until they were well outside and away from all the other students.

“I think I did something horrible by going out with Harry,” Hermione confessed.

“What? Why?”

“Well…it’s not right, he’s my friend, and I feel like I betrayed his trust.”

“Don’t be silly Hermione. You were just trying to help him. Did you find out what’s been bothering him?” Ginny asked curiously.

“Yes, but I don’t think I should be talking about it, let Harry tell you on his own terms. He’s wanted to open up, at least I think he did, it could be the potion. He’ll do everything I ask, I think.”

“Well, that’s good. You’ll never find a better man!”

“But it’s not the real Harry. Do you remember your mother telling us about the love potions she used before? I’m sure she mentioned…”

Ginny cut in, “Did you have a good time last night? You got home really late. Ron and I tried to stay awake till you got back, but he fell asleep.”

“Yeah, we had a great time.”

Ginny smiled, her eyes sparkling, “Really? What did you do?”

“We had dinner, then went riding on his broom,” Hermione answered quickly, “Anyways, about the potion.”

“You went flying?” Ginny asked, shocked.

“It was fine, I actually liked it,” Hermione replied blushing.

Ginny giggled, “I bet you enjoyed Harry’s strong arms around you.”

Hermione blushed deeper, “Ginny! Harry’s my friend.”

“Yeah, not right now. You guys are dating. Oh wait, you didn’t kiss, did you?” Ginny asked excitedly.

Hermione turned a deep crimson, and looked away.

Ginny squealed, “Hermione, you bad girl. I thought you were just friends.”

Hermione didn’t feel right about it though, and her eyes welled with tears. Ginny stopped laughing and stepped into Hermione’s line of vision.

“What is it sweetie?” Ginny asked soothingly.

“I liked it. I know I shouldn’t have, but I did. I’m afraid I’ve realised the truth. I’ve been in love with Harry for so long, I just forgot my feelings because of the deep friendship we’ve developed. I didn’t want to ruin that.”

“But you have him now, aren’t you happy?”

“It’s not the way I would have wanted it. Harry doesn’t truly feel this way. I have find a counter spell and make this right.”

“If that’s what you want, I’ll help you out.”

“Thank you,” Hermione said, hugging her friend.



Together they went back up to the castle and up to the library. Harry was waiting at the doors.


He hugged Hermione tightly, “Did you sleep well, ‘Mione? I knew I’d catch you coming here.”


Hermione glanced at Ginny, who smiled at her, “Yes, thank you Harry. I had a good time last night.”


“I’ll meet you in the library, if that’s what you still want,” Ginny said.

“Umm…I think so, uh… y-yes,” Hermione stammered, she was still in Harry’s arms. Hermione watched as Ginny went into the library. When her flaming red hair disappeared she turned to Harry.

Harry kissed her quickly, “I’m so happy to have you.”

Hermione blushed, looking Harry in the eyes.

“Were you crying?” Harry asked suddenly. He placed a hand on her cheek, stroking it gently.

Hermione could feel his calloused fingers, from years of Quidditch and many battles. She closed her eyes.

“Baby, what’s wrong?” Harry asked gently.

“Nothing Harry,” Hermione replied quietly, “It’s not something that can’t be fixed, I hope.”

“Is that why you’re going to the library?”

“Yes,” Hermione said, opening her eyes. She was drawn by the sparkling green that met hers. It made her want to melt in his arms.

“Can I help?”

“No, I’m sorry, but I’ll meet you later, I promise,” Hermione assured him.

Harry sighed, pulling her into his arms again, “Oh, more time without you? What am I going to do?” he smiled.

“Find Ron,” Hermione forced a smile, “You can tell him all about our date.”

“What makes you think I didn’t already?”

“Oh, Ron knows?” Hermione made a face. She didn’t know how Ron would take that. Maybe he would think she went too far by kissing Harry.

“I don’t kiss and tell,” Harry said, reading her mind, “If you want to tell him though, go ahead.”

Hermione smiled at him, then kissed him for what Hermione assumed might be the last time. It started softly, Hermione closed her eyes and wrapped her arms around his neck. Both responded to each other and their mouths opened. Harry’s tongue met hers and massaged it gently, while Hermione prayed this moment would last forever. Harry’s hands massaged the small of her back, but they both broke apart when they heard footsteps coming towards them.

“Potty and the mudblood,” Draco snarled, “I thought you had better taste than that.”

Pansy Parkinson, who stood beside Draco, chuckled.

“How dare you!” Harry replied angrily, pulling out his wand.

Draco did the same, but neither cast a spell as they sized each other up.

“Please Harry, don’t fight,” Hermione pleaded, tugging at Harry’s arm, “Let’s go.”

Harry looked at Hermione as his wand hand lowered, “Anything for you love.”

“He’s under a spell,” Pansy cried out, “A love spell. That’s why he loves you Granger!”

Draco laughed, “Of course he is! Why would he love someone like you?” Draco wrinkled his nose like he had just caught a horrible smell.

Hermione flushed.

“Of course I love her!” Harry shouted, “She’s beautiful and intelligent, something you’ll never be, Pansy.”

Pansy snorted and latched her arm around Draco, “At least I have a real man, not some twisted cry-baby orphan!”

“TARANTELLEGRA,” Hermione shouted, the spell hitting Pansy in the face.

Harry grabbed Hermione and pulled her into the library as Pansy’s legs started dancing madly. She shrieked.

“Oh no, I’m going to be in so much trouble,” Hermione said, shifting nervously from one foot to the other.

“You’ll be fine, I promise,” Harry reassured her, “Have they ever told on us? Remember what we did on the train to Malfoy the past two trips home on the Hogwarts Express?”

“I’m a prefect Harry,” Hermione reminded him, “I’m not supposed to be breaking the rules.”

“Now that’s my Hermione,” Harry said smiling.

Hermione giggled and kissed him lightly on the cheek, “I’ll see you later then?”

“Yes, I’ll miss you,” Harry pouted.

“Me too.”


Hermione hugged Harry one last time before joining Ginny at a table.

“What took you so long?” Ginny asked, her eyebrows raised.

“Malfoy,” Hermione whispered, “He caught us together.”

“Oh, what happened?”

“Harry defended me, of course, but I told him not to fight, then Pansy called Harry an orphan, so I jinxed her.”

“You did!?”

“I know, she deserved it though,” Hermione said, though a little nervously, “Did you find anything?”

“Yep, here’s the potion and it’s counter spell,” Ginny said, placing the book in front of Hermione.


The Love Potion


When a person drinks from the love potion, they will immediately fall in love with the person they see first. Whether feelings for this person exist or not, they love this person for a month. When the month has ended, there will be a shadowed memory of the love, but if love is pure, it will remain. The choice will be made.



“There’s the potion I helped Parvati make,” Hermione said, showing Ginny the ingredients listed under the first paragraph, “Oh, this is irritating, it doesn’t say how the drinker is supposed to act. Harry has been saying a lot of weird things, feelings that seem to me existed before he drank the potion.”

“Like?” Ginny asked.

“Like last night when we were flying, he told me he always wanted to fly with me,” Hermione explained.

“Hmm…maybe we should wait for the month to end to see if he keeps loving you, then you will know.”

“I can’t do that, it’s not right this way,” Hermione insisted.

“Well, the counter spell is right underneath, all you do is place the ingredients in reverse order and have him drink it again.”

Hermione copied it quickly, in reverse order.

“But Hermione, did you read the bottom?” Ginny asked pointing to the final line.

Warning: Once the counter potion has been given, the drinker will know all and may be angry about the situation. Use caution because the adverse effect will take place and instead of love, there will be hate.


Hermione bit her lip nervously, “What if he is mad that I let it go for so long?”

“That’s a risk you’ll have to take if you want to give him the counter spell. What’s a shadowed memory of love?”

“I don’t know. Maybe they’ll recall loving the person and choose whether or not to end the relationship or continue. Oh, no wonder these are banned, they’re so complicated.”

“You could always ask Snape, he is the potions master,” Ginny giggled.

Hermione laughed, “Now there’s a good idea,” she sighed, “I’ve got to stay here and try to figure out what to do, maybe I’ll find a book that explains these love potions better.”

“Alright, I’ll see you later,” Ginny said as she got up and started to walk away. She took a few steps then returned, “Did it ever occur to you that Harry may have true feelings for you?”

Hermione grimaced, “I’ll never find out now.”

“This isn’t your fault, Hermione, you didn’t give Harry the potion. Maybe if you give him the counter spell, he’ll understand.”

“I know. I can only hope he will. I did let it go for a day, he may still be angry.”

Ginny left and Hermione spent most of the afternoon pouring through books, but her mind was on other things. She was weighing her options. One thing worked against her now. Draco and Pansy knew about them, therefore, the whole school would know soon enough. If Harry stopped loving her now, she’d have a lot of explaining to do.


Hermione left the library, not finding anything else about the love potion that was useful. She had decided to perform the counter spell and get this over with, willing to deal with the consequences.

Harry and Ron were in the Great Hall eating dinner when Hermione walked in.

Harry smiled when he saw her.


“I was hoping you would at least meet me for dinner,” Harry said, still smiling as Hermione took a seat beside him.

Ron watched them curiously.

“So, Harry didn’t tell me much about last night,” Ron said, “How was it Hermione?”

“We had a good time,” Hermione replied.

“That’s what he said. Surely you have more to say then that.”

“I don’t think now is the time, we’ll talk later, right Harry?” Hermione asked, turning to him.

“Yes, of course. I guess it’s time you’ve found out, Ron.”

Ron nodded his head and started to eat faster


Once they were all finished, Harry led them out to the grounds where he told Ron what he had said to Hermione last night. He was horrified at the thought of Harry having to kill Voldemort alone.

“Hermione’s right you know, Harry. You wouldn’t be a murderer in the sense you seem to be taking it. He is a bad person, you must understand that,” Ron said, once Hermione told him what she had said about Harry killing Voldemort.

“I know,” Harry said, looking away.

“It’s time you’ve started training harder, maybe we should reform the DA,” Hermione suggested.

“That’s a good idea. Everyone has been asking about that. With You-Know-Who actually known about this year, I’m sure our DA will grow,” Ron agreed.

Harry nodded, just as Professor McGonagall walked up.

“Mr. Potter, Miss Granger, will you come with me please,” she said briskly.

They both said goodbye to Ron, then exchanged looks with each other. Hermione guessed immediately what this was about. Malfoy had told on them. Hermione took Harry’s hand nervously and he squeezed it gently. Professor McGonagall glanced back at them briefly and she stopped walking.

“It’s true then?” she asked.

“What’s true,” Harry replied.

“You two are together?”

“Uh…yes,” Hermione answered for them.

“I’m taking you to see Professor Dumbledore,” Professor McGonagall told them, before turning once again. She led them through the school and up to the Headmaster’s office. Hermione was nervous, why were they involving the headmaster, this must be serious. Could she be expelled for what she did to Pansy? What if Dumbledore knew about the love potion?