Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Hermione Granger and the Love Potion by hermione4harry

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Four.

When they reached the headmaster’s office, Professor McGonagall gave the password, “Sugar Quills,” and the gargoyle sprang to life.

When the stairs appeared, Harry and Hermione followed Professor McGonagall onto them. Hermione’s palms started to sweat into Harry’s hand and she pulled it away to wipe it on her jeans.

Harry caught her eye and took her hand again. “Don’t be nervous,” he whispered, “Everything will be fine.”

“Mr. Malfoy has told Professor Snape something very interesting, which he has passed along to me,” Professor McGonagall said, not even looking at them, as they reached Dumbledore’s office.

The pair remained silent, following Professor McGonagall through the doors with the Griffin shaped doorknocker. Professor Dumbledore sat behind his large desk, several papers littering the top of it.

“Professor Dumbledore, it’s time,” Minerva told him, motioning to the pair, “It’s finally happened.”

Harry and Hermione shared a confused look, while Dumbledore’s face brightened.
He smiled at the pair, “It’s about time. I was beginning to worry!” Dumbledore said, rising. He conjured two fluffy pouffes in front of his desk, and Hermione and Harry took a seat. Professor McGonagall excused herself politely.

“Please, sir,” Hermione started, “What’s happened?”

“Why the fulfillment of the prophecy, of course, not all of it, but a part of it,” Dumbledore explained.

“I’m sorry, sir, I don’t understand,” Harry said, looking at Hermione, who looked dumbstruck.

“There’s more to that prophecy then I told you Harry. I’m sorry for the deception once again, but I felt it necessary to conceal certain parts until it happened. I didn’t want to push you.”

Hermione saw Harry’s face flush in anger, knowing it had disturbed him that Dumbledore still treated Harry like a child.

“But why?” Harry retorted.

“Harry, let me explain,” Dumbledore replied calmly, “I didn’t tell you because like I said I couldn’t push you. I had to let fate take its course. I’m sure, Miss Granger, that Harry has told you the prophecy by now?”

“Yes,” Hermione said quickly, worried about where this conversation was heading.

“There’s more. A small part I left out previously.”

“What is it?” Harry asked impatiently.

“You see Harry. When I said that you would have powers the dark lord knows not,” Harry nodded so the Professor continued, “I left out the part that this power will come from the union of a muggle born child. One born in September of the same year, which could only mean Hermione. The two combined would have a greater power that the dark lord knows not.”

“What does that mean?” Harry asked. Hermione went quiet, looking at her shoes.

“It means, that you two were predestined for each other. I realize this may be a little early into your relationship, but the love you share, or will come to share, is going to be a great power.”

Hermione opened her mouth shocked as tears welled in her eyes. Now she knew everything had gone too far.

Harry, instead, jumped to his feet screaming, “No! I will not let Hermione have any part in this! She’s too important to me!”

“Harry please” Dumbledore started, but Harry’s ranting continued.

“Why must I lose everyone I love? I won’t have Hermione put in danger like that!”

“Harry, you must understand, the bond you share will create great powers. I will start immediately on the training of the both of you.”

“No!” Harry continued, “I won’t have it!”

“Please Harry,” Hermione finally interrupted quietly, “Don’t yell. We have to talk about this.”

Harry listened to her, but grumbled incoherently as he sat back down.

“Harry, I realize this may come as a shock, but I knew that once you two became a couple, I was going to tell you immediately and start training the both of you. I had to wait for this time. I didn’t want to force you two together right away because that would never have been right. It was I who convinced the sorting hat to place Hermione in Gryffindor, those long years ago. I’ve watched your friendship blossom, worried it would never be more than that. But these past few years, I’ve noticed the small glances each others way and the continuous worry about the other, hoping it would lead to something more.”

Hermione started sobbing loudly and Harry turned to her. He got up and kneeled in front of her.

“’Mione, love, what is it?” Harry asked soothingly, taking her hand with his, while his other hand touched her face.

Hermione jerked her head away from Harry’s hand and sobbed louder. Tears flowed freely down her face while Harry tried desperately to reassure her, “Everything will be okay. I’ll never let anything happen to you.”

“Perhaps I can have a few minutes alone with Miss Granger, Harry?” Dumbledore asked, coming around from behind his desk. He escorted a reluctant Harry outside of his office and conjured another pouffe in the hallway for Harry to sit on.

“Just one minute, Harry,” Dumbledore assured him again and closed the door swiftly.

Hermione didn’t stop crying, even when Dumbledore stood in front of her.

“What’s happened, Miss Granger?” he asked patiently.

“I’ve d-done s-something terrible,” Hermione wailed.

Professor Dumbledore muttered an incantation under his breath, which Hermione knew was a calming spell. Her sobs gave way to sniffles, and then she sighed heavily. Her crying ceased.

“Now, what have you done?” Dumbledore asked.

Hermione told him the whole story, taking small glances at the headmaster. When he did not look angry, she would continue.

“…I didn’t mean for it to go this far. Ron and I were so convinced that this might be the only way for us to get Harry to open up to us. It’s all my fault,” Hermione concluded.

Dumbledore, who had listened quietly, sat down behind his desk again, lacing his fingers together on top of it, “So, I’ve been premature on my news, as I feared would happen,” Dumbledore said, “But don’t you see, Miss Granger, maybe this is what fate had in store for the two of you. It could be possible that this was supposed to happen. Perhaps it has just given you two a shove in the right direction.”

Hermione sniffled and stared at Dumbledore, “It has for me, at least. I’ve realised my true feelings for Harry.”

“It’s possible the same has happened for him.”

Hermione shook her head, “He’s under a spell, and he doesn’t know what’s going on. Now I’ll never really know his true feelings. What should I do professor?”

“What do you think should be done?”

“I have two options, according to the spell book,” Hermione said, confiding in professor Dumbledore, “I can wait thirty more days to see what Harry will choose, or I can give him the reverse potion and then he’ll know everything and be able to make his choice on that.”

Dumbledore nodded, “As always, I’m sure both ways has its drawbacks.”

“Yes,” Hermione grumbled, “ I had decided to perform the reverse potion, but this new information is quite shocking and now I’m rethinking my decision.”

“I can’t tell you which path to choose, but I do know that you’ll make the right decision. You may go.”

Hermione opened her mouth to ask which way he thought would be better, but knew what she had to do. She nodded silently and left.


Once through the doors, Harry hugged her tightly.

“Will you tell me what’s wrong now?” he asked her.

Hermione’s eyes welled with tears again, “Not right now.”


They walked together, hand in hand, back to the common room where Ron waited for them.

“Are you in trouble?” he asked anxiously as they entered through the portrait hole.

“No,” Hermione said glumly.

Harry told Ron what happened in Dumbledore’s office.

“Blimey, the two of you, huh?” Ron gasped when Harry had finished. He exchanged a look with Hermione, who sniffed loudly.

Hermione mumbled something about homework and ran off to the girl’s dormitory. She heard Harry call after her, but knew he wouldn’t be able to follow her.

It was time to brew the reverse potion and whether she would use it or not, she didn’t know.

Once it was done, she went back down into the common room. Sneaking a peek around the corner, she noticed no one was there. Everyone had gone to bed.

She moved towards the fire, just to sit and think.


Minutes turned into an hour and still Hermione weighed her options. This was the hardest decision she’d ever made. Harry could hate her forever.

She didn’t hear the footsteps coming from the boy’s dormitory until it was too late.

“Good, I was hoping you would show up again,” Ron said sleepily.

Hermione sighed, wishing to be left alone.

“What are you going to do?” Ron continued, when Hermione said nothing.

“I don’t know Ron.”

“You have to give him the reverse potion Hermione, there should be no thinking about this!” Ron flushed with anger.

Hermione was in no mood to be reprimanded, and rose to her feet, “How dare you! I didn’t want to do this in the first place! You’re the one who told me to, and now you think I can fix it so easily?”

“Yes!”

“Ron, Harry could hate me for this! It was all in the spell book! It’s a chance I don’t know if I’m willing to take! What if he does hate me? I have a prophecy to fulfill now!”

“Harry is my best friend! I WILL NOT HAVE HIM LIED TO!”

“YOU CAN’T TELL ME WHAT TO DO!”


The whole dormitory must have heard the commotion coming from downstairs. Most poked their heads outside the rooms, and realizing it was just another row between Ron and Hermione, they shook their heads and went to bed. Harry, on the other hand, flew down the stairs to Hermione’s aid just as Ron picked up the discarded vials with the reverse potion in it from the couch.

“Is this it Hermione?” he yelled at her.

Hermione shook her head.

“Don’t lie me, I will give it to Harry!”

“What is going on here?” Harry asked stepping between them.

Hermione looked away stubbornly and Ron uncapped the vial.

“Harry take this,” Ron said, stuffing it in his hand. Harry looked questioningly between them.

Hermione’s eyes shone with tears and Ron nodded insistently.

“Hermione?” Harry asked, looking for some sign of encouragement.

“Go ahead, Harry,” she whispered quietly.

He glanced at both once again before downing the vial.