Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Countdown by arus_knight

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Author's Note: This is a sequel to my first story "Legacy". If you want to understand what's going on, then I suggest you read that story first.

This is based off the works of J.K. Rowling. Characters are hers, except for the new additions which are my own creation. If anyone wishes to use them in any way, shape, or form, they must get permission from me first.


“Harry, breakfast!”

Young Harry Potter stirred in his bed, not wanting to leave it, but knowing that he would have to get up eventually. He reached for his glasses on the night table and slid them onto his face. He let his eyes adjust to the incoming sunlight before he dared to get to his feet.

When he was finally able to stand, he stretched out his arms and legs. Harry’s head turned to the owl cage sitting on his windowsill, and the owl asleep in it. “Good morning, Hedwig,” he whispered, not wanting to disturb his faithful friend.

Harry bounded down the stairs of Godric’s Hollow. He turned at the bottom and walked into the dining room. Though the hour was early, he noticed that he was not one of the first to rise this morning. Sara Hall was sitting near the head of the table, silently sipping a glass of milk. This young woman gently laid a hand on her belly, where her unborn child was resting peacefully. Harry had seen her becoming quite preoccupied with the child, as it was only a month or so away from being born.

His eyes shifted away from Sara and fell upon her younger sister, Lita. Lita was an Animagi, and a mystery to Harry personally. He knew that she had been trained by the Ministry of Magic specifically to fight against the Dark Lord Voldemort and his followers, but there was still a lot that he didn’t know about her. Harry wasn’t even sure if it was a good idea to ask about her past, so he kept his mouth shut.

As he sat at the table, the final occupant of Godric’s Hollow entered the dining room, carrying a tray of pastries. Kevin Hall, Sara’s husband, set the tray in the center of the table and sat beside his wife. Kevin was more a mystery then anyone Harry had ever known. Kevin was the, for lack of a better word, the son and heir of Voldemort. Though he denied any lineage with the evil wizard, he did acknowledge a common connection between the two of them. Voldemort had given Kevin a bit of his power when he was still in his mother’s womb, and this is why the Dark Lord feels that Kevin is his son.

Even though he didn’t know much about the people he was eating with, Harry trusted these three people more then he trusted most people. There are perhaps only a couple of people in the wizard world that Harry would trust more. “Good morning,” he said, when they were all seated.

Kevin poured himself a cup of coffee from a kettle. “Morning, Harry,” he answered. “No, I haven’t heard back from Arthur or Molly yet.”

Harry rolled his eyes. It was as though Kevin could read his mind. He never asked if Kevin was skilled at Legilimency, but he was pretty sure that he was. Harry had asked Kevin to write a letter to the Weasley family a week ago. In it, Kevin had asked if Ron and Ginny Weasley would be allowed to spend some time at Godric’s Hollow during the summer. Kevin had told him that Molly had made it clear over a month ago that she wanted her children to spend some time at home, but Kevin wrote the letter nonetheless. So far, there had been no response.
Harry wanted to see his best friend, but he wanted to see his girlfriend even more. Harry and Ginny had started dating earlier this year, but this had been the first time that the two had been apart for an extended period of time. It hurt Harry to be apart from her for so long, but put on a strong front nonetheless. It wasn’t as if he spent the days in his room pining for her and crying that he couldn’t be with her.

Kevin had done his best to keep Harry busy. Godric’s Hollow was by no means in perfect shape. The two had worked to paint the outsides and fix whatever was broken on the insides. Harry had, occasionally, helped Lita in planting a new garden in the front lawn. All of this had to be done without magical aid, though. They were all able wizards, but they did not live in a wizard village, so they had to be careful about what they did.

Kevin was not reckless, but Harry had seen him cast a spell here and there when no one was near the house. One time, Sara had been taking a short walk in the lawn and caught her husband using magic to pull up a few weeds that would not be pulled out of the ground by human hands. Harry remembered her scolding him for hours about the need for subtlety in this village.

Sara had gotten quite along with her pregnancy. She and Kevin had found out in early November that they were expecting, and Harry guessed the baby would be born some time in mid-July. Harry had heard horrible tales about pregnant women being demanding and their moods changing by the minute from Lita, but he soon realized that was not true of all women. Sara was quite pleasant, and he was more then willing to do what he could to help her, since it kept him out of the hot sun.

Though magic was to be used scarcely, Kevin did find time to help Harry practice his defensive spells and charms. Harry was a bit uneasy about using magic since he was still sixteen for another six weeks, but Kevin told him not to worry. The Ministry of Magic ruling council had passed new legislation that allowed underage wizards to practice magic if they were in the care of a capable adult wizard. Since both Kevin and Sara were teachers at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, and Lita was a Ministry appointed Auror, Harry was indeed in the company of three capable wizards.

Kevin put Harry through rigorous training exercises. They had to be conducted indoors, so as not to rouse suspicion, but that hindrance limited what could be practiced. Kevin had wanted to do actual wizard duels to make sure Harry understood what he was going to be up against, but there was no room in the house large enough to accommodate the two wizards and their exploits. Kevin had tried rolling to avoid a stunning spell from Harry, but his shoulder hit the brick hearth of the fireplace. Likewise, Harry had tried leaping to his right and casting at the same time, but wasn’t paying attention to where he was and smashed in to the wall. Both men came away from that duel with significant injuries, though neither of them had landed a spell.

Harry’s days in Godric’s Hollow consisted of nothing more then a simple magic lesson every now and then, household repairs, and a venture into the village every few days for supplies. Harry felt safe in this village, maybe because it was an all-Muggle village, but he couldn’t be sure. He knew that part of his feelings had to do with the fact that Voldemort was powerless against him for the better part of next year.

The Dark Lord was helpless, except for the fact that no one could find him.

Voldemort had disappeared, and his Death Eaters along with him. Since the assault on Hogwarts a month ago, the dark wizards had not been seen. There had been no attacks, either on wizards or Muggles. Harry thought that there might actually be some peace in the world…for a while anyway.

As the weeks went on, he would find out that he was wrong.

*********************************************************

It was early July when Harry was awoken one night. “Get up, Harry,” Lita was saying, as she shook him back to consciousness.

Harry stirred and thrust out an arm to push her away. “What’s wrong?”

Lita flipped on a desk lamp. “Sara just went into labor. Kevin’s gone to St. Mungo’s to fetch a healer, but we’re going to need your help.”

Harry was now fully awake. He rolled from his bed, put on his glasses and went over to his dresser to find some clothes.

*********************************************************

Harry was raced up the stairs with a set of cool washcloths. He entered Sara’s room, walked over to her bed and placed one of the washcloths on her forehead. Sara looked up at him and smiled. “Thank you, Harry.” She winced as she had another contraction. Lita was holding her hand and coaching her on breathing. “Where’s Kevin with the healer?”

A few moments later, her husband returned to the house with someone from St. Mungo’s. The healer, a woman by the name of Anna Hamil, rushed to Sara’s bedside. Harry slinked back into a corner, not wanting to be in the way. Kevin put a hand on the boys shoulder. “We should wait outside,” he said. They left the room.

Harry looked over at Kevin when they were in the hall. “Shouldn’t you be inside with Sara?”

Kevin shook his head. “Healer Hamil made it clear that I shouldn’t be anywhere near Sara during the birth, unless I wanted to hear how I was a horrible man who caused this pain on an innocent woman.” His lips curled into a smile. “I know that Sara wouldn’t actually mean any of those things, but it hurts to hear them.”

Harry chuckled a bit, but the smile quickly left his face when a scream from the bedroom forced his head to turn. Kevin’s face turned serious as well. “But truthfully, I wish I could be in there.”

************************************************************

It was sunrise, and Harry was being woken for the second time, although this time was a bit more gently. “Harry, wake up,” Lita was saying, keeping her voice soft. “You can come in the room now.”

Harry had been sitting against the wall in the hall, reclining against the wooden boards. He got to his feet and followed her into Kevin and Sara’s bedroom. Sara was exhausted. That much was evident in her face, but what was also clear to him was the small baby cradled in her arms. Kevin was seated beside his wife. Harry could see a smile bigger then any he had ever seen on the older wizard.

Kevin reached out a hand to stroke the baby’s forehead. He looked up at Harry, “Come over here Harry, and meet our daughter, Lilian.”

Harry walked over to the bedside. The baby was the smallest thing he had ever seen in his life. Her small hands were up near her eyes, both of which were shut. Lilian was cooing gently as she lay in her mother’s arms. “She beautiful,” Harry said.

Sara smiled at him. Kevin reached up a hand and patted Harry on the shoulder, never taking one eye of his little girl.

*************************************************************

Harry was coming back up the stairs after getting a quick drink from the kitchen, when he heard two voices speaking.

“Thank you for coming, Anna,” Kevin was saying. “I know that St. Mungo’s has been busy lately with all the incidents, but I don’t think I could have handled this myself.”

“I was glad to leave the place for a while,” the healer replied. “Someday, I hope that the Ministry will see fit to build a maternity ward at St. Mungo’s so we don’t have to continue with these home-births. I feel so much better if there are more healers around in case something goes wrong.” She sighed, heavily. “But, still it wouldn’t be right to have birthing mothers around some of the jinxed patients that we get. Especially with what came in tonight, I would have been appalled to have your wife in the hospital.”

“Something big?” Kevin asked.

“A fight at the Leaky Cauldron,” Anna explained. “All kinds of curses and hexes being cast on everyone within spell range. It was enough of a commotion to alert the Muggles. Arthur Weasley has been trying to right the situation for hours.”
Kevin laughed. “Well, if anyone can handle it, then it would be Arthur. What started the fight?”

“No one knows. Everyone just started cursing. There was talk of someone using the Cruciatus Curse, but we haven’t been able to discover if it’s true or not…well, at least when I left we hadn’t found it. If these fights don’t stop, St. Mungo’s won’t be able to handle all the casualties.”

Harry heard footsteps walking away from him. Kevin and Anna must have been going back in to check on Sara. Quickly, he made his way to his room to avoid being caught eavesdropping.