Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Countdown by arus_knight

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Kevin had woken Harry early that morning, even before the sun had risen. He put Harry through his apparition exercises one more time, before sitting him down to breakfast. Kevin had explained that apparition was more a mental spell then anything. It required concentration and focus to be done correctly. While a certain amount of magical ability was required, if a wizard’s mind wasn’t on the spell, then something could go horribly wrong.

Soon after the sun had risen, Kevin and Harry left for the Ministry of Magic. They traveled by floo powder to Diagon Alley, and then walked the rest of the way. When they had reached the phone booth that gave entry to the Ministry, Kevin punched in the code and they were allowed inside. After allowing their wands to be examined, the two wizards were shown to the sixth floor. This was the Department of Magical Transportation, where the Apparition test would be administered.

Kevin walked up to a middle-aged witch sitting behind a desk. “I have Harry Potter here, ready to take his Apparition test.”

The witch looked up at him, glanced back at Harry, and then met Kevin’s eyes. “You’ll have to wait a bit. The officiator, Charles Shunpike, is with someone at the moment.”

The name of the official shook Harry from his thoughts. Shunpike, he thought. He wondered if he was any relation to Stan Shunpike, the conductor of the Knight Bus. Harry didn’t have much time to think about it. Kevin laid a hand on Harry’s shoulder and led him to a waiting area. “Nervous?” he asked as they sat.

Harry shook his head. “Not really. Just…curious.”

“About what the exam is going to be like?” Kevin asked. Harry nodded. “Well, there really is no way to be fully prepared for this. It’s a hit-or-miss type thing. It may take a few tries, but Apparition is a skill that anyone can master.” He patted Harry’s shoulder. “You’ll be fine. I’ve taught you everything you need to know.”

They sat in silence for only a few minutes when a door at the back of the room opened. A tall, gray-haired wizard walked through followed by Ron Weasley. Harry got to his feet quickly as his friend walked by, but Ron neither said anything nor looked at him. Kevin stood as well. “No one who has taken the Apparition test can speak with someone who hasn’t about what actually goes on. Ron has to keep his mouth shut until you pass.” Harry’s eyes followed his friend as he left the room.

“Mr. Potter,” the witch behind the desk said. “Proctor Shunpike will see you now.”

After a final reassuring pat on his shoulder by Kevin, Harry followed the elderly wizard into the room that Ron had just been in. It was a simple room, with no lavish accommodations. All that Harry could see was two chairs and a large fire in the center of the room. Shunpike took a seat and motioned for Harry to do the same. Harry sat opposite the proctor. “Excuse me, sir,” Harry said, nervously, “but what exactly do I have to do to learn to Apparate?”

Shunpike reached into his robes and pulled out a small vile with black powder inside. Harry thought it looked suspiciously like floo powder. Shunpike opened the vile and poured the powder onto the fire. It glowed orange for a second before melting into a deep green. “Apparition, Harry, is just floo travel without the uncomfortable feelings. In order to learn how to Apparate, you must first learn to transcend the floo network. In a few moments, I will ask you to step into the fire. Don’t be alarmed, now. This fire is hooked up to the floo network, so you won’t need to worry about burning.

“Now, I am sure that you have been told that Apparition is a mental spell, which requires concentration and a clear mind, correct?” Harry nodded. “Well, when you step into the fire, you are going to have to think of a place that you would like to be. When you are ready, I want you to say that place very clearly. If your mind is focused, then you will Apparate. If it is not, then you will travel by floo, and you will need to travel back the same way.”

Harry didn’t quite understand what Shunpike was saying. His mind was anything but clear at the moment. “Sir, what if I think of a place that isn’t connected to the floo network?”

Shunpike cleared his throat. “In that case, the fire will eject you into the wall. So, I suggest you think of some place that you can get to by floo.”

Harry’s mind suddenly cleared in an instant. The prospect of flying into a solid wall was not appealing to him. Shunpike asked him to step into the fire. As he did so, Harry was a bit frightened that he would not be able to do this. Apparition was supposed to be one of the more difficult abilities for a wizard to learn, and Harry had always been a bit apprehensive about doing things that even some fully trained wizards couldn’t do.

The fire was warm, but not hot. It was like any other time he had traveled in the floo network, but he knew this time would be different. At all costs, he had to avoid using the floo network. Harry closed his eyes, and concentrated. Kevin had taught him to clear his mind of all things except the one he was supposed to focus on. It worked…a little too well.

Harry couldn’t think of anything. His mind was a complete blank.

He knew that Charles Shunpike was watching him, and he had to do something quick. Harry tried to think of a place he would like to be, but nothing seemed to come to his mind. Just then, a flash of red passed through his vision. He thought the fire was returning to normal, but another image flashed in his mind.

“The Burrow!” he shouted.

Harry had no idea exactly what had happened. He heard a familiar crack and he suddenly found himself somewhere other then the Ministry of Magic. He was in a room, a girl’s room. He could tell by the stuffed animals on the bed and the cosmetic products resting on a vanity desk. Harry was a bit stunned and wasn’t sure where he was.

It was only after he saw a photo sitting on a dresser that his mind was shaken back to reality. The photo showed nine red-haired people standing in front of a large Sphinx in Egypt. Harry remembered that the Weasley family had taken a trip to Egypt a few years back, and he suddenly remembered where he had wanted to end up.

The door to the roomed opened up and Ginny walked in. Harry’s breath caught in his throat when he saw that she was holding a towel around herself, and her hair was wet. She had obviously just gotten out of the shower. Ginny didn’t notice the other occupant in her room right away. She walked over to her vanity desk, which happened to have a mirror, and turned around quickly.

“Harry! What are you doing here?” she said, her hands clutching the towel tighter.

Harry wasn’t quite sure how to answer. He tried to tell her that he was in the middle of an Apparition test, but he wasn’t sure that she would believe him. Ginny had no idea what was supposed to take place during an Apparition test, and he knew he wasn’t supposed to tell her. He didn’t know what to say.

Just then, he heard a voice in his head. “Harry, come back to the Ministry.”

Wanting to leave before Ginny got angry with him, Harry closed his eyes again, heard the crack and was back in the room with Charles Shunpike. The older wizard started clapping his hands. “Well done, Harry. Well done.” He stood up and walked over to Harry. “Come now, step out of the fire.” Harry hadn’t even noticed that he was still standing in the fire pit. “I’m very impressed, Harry. Though I had hoped you would have picked a more appropriate Apparition point then a girl’s bedroom.” Shunpike’s brow narrowed a bit.

“It wasn’t like that,” Harry tried to explain. “I meant to Apparate in the living room and I just…”

“You Apparated exactly where you were thinking of,” Shunpike said. A slight smile crept onto his face. “Your intent did not follow your desire, but that’s all right. I’m sure whomever you intruded upon will understand. You just need to learn to control your intents and your desires. That is one thing that will make Apparition impossible for you in times of crisis.”

Shunpikes laid a hand on Harry’s shoulder, and lead him out of the room. Kevin was leaning against the wall in the outer room. “How did he do?”

Charles Shunpike smiled. “He needs a bit more work, but he passed the test.” Kevin clapped his hands together twice for Harry. “If you’ll take him down the hall, one of the wizards there will issue the Apparition license for him.” He shook Kevin’s hand.

Just before they left the room, Harry turned around. “Mr. Shunpike, if I may ask a question?” The older wizard nodded. “Do you have a son who works on the Knight Bus?”

Charles nodded. “Yes, my boy Stan. He wrote to me after he met you actually, telling me all about how the famous Harry Potter had just ridden on his bus. Good boy, my Stan, but not much ambition to him.” He shrugged. “Ah well, at least he’s doing something that makes him happy.”

Harry nodded, and walked with Kevin down the hall. Kevin did not ask Harry about what had went on, nor did he start giving him pointers on how to improve his Apparition. Instead, they walked in silence towards the office that Charles Shunpike had indicated. Just before they reached the office, a small gray owl fluttered over to them. Harry recognized this owl as Pigwidgeon, or Pig for short. It was Ron’s personal owl, but Harry had a feeling he knew who the sender of this letter was. Pig rested on Kevin’s shoulder, and he untied the note from the small owl’s leg. He opened it up and read it.

After a few moments, Kevin turned to Harry with a confused look on his face. “Harry,” he said. “Exactly, where did you Apparate to?”

Harry’s face was redder then ever.

***************************************************************

Much to Harry’s surprise, after they left the Ministry of Magic, the first place they went was…

…the Burrow.

Mrs. Weasley had set up a lavish picnic to celebrate Harry, Ron and Hermione passing their Apparition test. Hermione, they had all found out, had taken the test the previous day without telling anyone. Her nervous feelings had gotten the better of her and she had scheduled to take her test before her friends.

After they left the Ministry, Kevin told Harry that they would be Apparate to the Burrow. Harry was worried that he would do the same thing he had done in his test and find himself in Ginny’s bedroom, but he kept himself focused this time. Kevin and Harry soon found themselves in the living room of the Weasley’s home.

Harry had only a moment to re-orient himself before he was drawn into the open arms of Molly Weasley. “Congratulations, Harry dear,” she said, excitedly. “We are all so proud of you.” Harry nearly lost his footing with the force of the embrace. Molly let go of him and turned her attention to Kevin, though with much less force.

She ushered them outside to the waiting feast. The entire Weasley family was setting up two large tables with food. Included among them were Hermione and her parents, who were shadowed by Arthur Weasley asking all sorts of questions about Muggles. Hermione seemed a bit grateful that her parents were as distracted as they were because it gave her a moment to slip away and find Ron.

Harry had only a moment to survey the set-up before he felt a hand lay on his arm. He turned his head and saw Ginny standing beside him. She had a stern expression on her face. Harry cringed a bit when he saw her. “I can explain,” he said, before she had a chance to berate him.

Holding onto his arm, Ginny led Harry back into the house. “Upstairs,” she said. “Everyone else is outside.” Harry followed with a bit of reluctance as she walked up the staircase. She led him into her bedroom, a location that Harry hadn’t anticipated. Ginny closed the door and turned to him. Her expression didn’t change as she put her arms around his neck and pressed her lips to his. Harry was caught completely off-guard by this sudden change in mood. Ginny pulled her lips apart from his, smiled and said, “Congratulations.”

Harry was speechless, but pleased. “So, you are not mad?” he asked.

Ginny ran a hand across his shoulder, traced it down his chest…and hit him in his sternum. “Of course I’m mad, Harry Potter. You appear in my room, out of nowhere, while I’m not dressed, and I’m not supposed to be mad.”

Harry took a step back before she decided another slap was in order. “I can explain. It was a mistake. I was trying to Apparate in the living room, and I got a little lost.”

Ginny’s face didn’t soften. “And they still gave you an Apparition license?” Harry shrugged. “Well, at least I know that the qualifications aren’t that strict, then.”

Harry moved in a bit closer to her. “Ginny, what’s wrong? I know I shouldn’t have been in your room, but you never been this angry with me.”

Ginny closed her eyes and lowered her head. “I’m sorry, Harry. I shouldn’t be cross with you.” She leaned in, laying her head on his chest. “I just…haven’t been feeling myself these days.”

Harry wrapped his arms around her. “It’s all right, Ginny. Have you been sleeping well?”

“No,” she answered. “I keep waking up, thinking someone else is in my room. When I turn on the light I don’t see anything, but I keep thinking…” She couldn’t finish her sentence.
“What else is bothering you, Ginny? Tell me, please?”

Ginny didn’t say anything else. Whether she couldn’t, or just wouldn’t, Harry never got the chance to figure out. From downstairs, he heard Mrs. Weasley call for everyone to come outside for lunch. Harry kept a firm grip on Ginny’s hand as they walked to the outside feast that awaited them. Everyone was already seated at the long table, and talking happily with one another.

Harry noticed that Sara had joined the group, along with Lilian who was in her father’s arms. Kevin was gently rocking his daughter in his right arm, while trying to eat with his left. This proved a bit difficult until Sara saw the plight of her husband and waved her wand over the food in front of him. In an instant, the ham slices floated in front of Kevin and were gently placed into his mouth.

The entire table was in a joyous mood. Bill and Charlie Weasley, both of which had been on assignment in Portugal, told stories of successful raids on Death Eater strongholds. Molly had tried to keep talk of the war out of her house, but as Fred and George had pointed out, they were not in her house at the moment. She had quickly boxed both of their ears for their sarcastic comment. Arthur calmed his wife by saying, “Molly dear, it’s good for us all to hear that things are going in our favor. We need to keep our spirits up.”

But high spirits were soon to be dashed.

A brown tawny owl swooped down on the table and landed in front of Kevin. He took the letter presented to him. After a moment of looking it over, he handed Lilian to Sara and got to his feet. “Arthur, we have to go. Bill and Charlie too.”

The eldest wizard stood. “What’s happened?”

“Another riot,” Kevin answered. “This time in Muggle London. Ministry Aurors are already containing the situation, but they need every hand available.”

Harry and the others watched as the four wizards Disapparated before their eyes. Whatever happy feelings everyone had been feeling before had slipped away from them. After lunch was finished, Harry started gathering plates and carrying them into the house. As he walked into the kitchen, he could see Mrs. Weasley vigorously cleaning dishes and muttering, “When will it end? When will it all end?”