Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Countdown by arus_knight

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
“As this is your last year at Hogwarts, and I’m sure many other teachers have told you the same thing,” Kevin said, as he addressed his Defense Against the Dark Arts class. “We will be delving into some of the most advanced magic that I can teach you. One thing that I hope we can finish working on is the counter-curse to the Avada Kedavra curse that I started to teach you last year. As I explained, that spell is just a variation on the Patronus Charm that we were starting to work on. Everyone stand up.”

The student rose from their seats as Kevin waved his wand over the classroom. The desks flung themselves towards the walls and piled up, leaving the center of the room clear. “Now, spread out so you have enough room to cast properly.” Everyone did as they were told. “On the count of three, cast your Patronus, One-Two-Three.”

Expecto Patronum!

The room was suddenly filled with bright smoke, some taking the forms of animals while others remained as incoherent clouds. Kevin looked over the various forms. “Not bad,” he said. “Some of these are coming along very nicely. There are still some of you who need a bit of work, but we can work with it.” He waved his wand and the smoke dissipated. “Now, one question that I’m sure is on all of your minds is how do I use this to deflect the most powerful curse? Good question. On the count of three, I want each of you to cast a jinx or curse at me.” Each of the students seemed a bit nervous at the thought of cursing their own teacher. “It sounds odd, but I’ll be fine. All right, One-Two-Three.”

The entire class waved their wands and sent a spell flying directly at Kevin.

Eradico Patronum!

From the tip of his wand, a giant bird flew into the air. It spread its wings out wide as the spells impacted onto it. Not a single curse made it through the magical emanation. The bird faded away. “Now, that is what I will be teaching you.”

Hermione’s hand shot into the air. “But sir, that could have just been a simple shield charm.”

Kevin’s eyes focused on her. “Quite right, Miss Granger, but have you ever known a shield charm to be strong enough to deflect a large series of curses, like the ones that I just deflected?”

Hermione thought for a moment. “Yes sir, I have. It was the summer before last when your home in America was under attack. You cast a shield charm over the manor that held off the Death Eaters for some time.”

Kevin smiled. “Trying to stump you is like trying to pick up water with a fork, but you are incorrect in that it was I who cast the spell. It was in fact, six wizards holding up that particular spell: myself, Sara, and the four Animagi all had a hand in that.” He started pacing. “But let’s put Miss Granger’s theory to the test. Do you feel that your Patronus is strong enough to deflect an Unforgivable Curse, Hermione?” In her eyes, he could tell that she did not believe so. “We’ll start with something simple. Try and deflect an Impediment jinx with your Patronus.” He raised his wand and she did likewise. “Impedimenta!

Eradico Patronum!

Hermione’s Patronus, an Otter, formed in front of her. It leapt to deflect the spell, but faded as soon as the Impediment jinx touched it. The spell continued to move forward and struck Hermione directly in her chest. She was thrown backwards, falling onto her back. The class quickly gathered around her. Kevin pushed through them. “She’ll be all right. That wasn’t even a fully powered spell.” As he leaned over her body, he waved his wand. “Ennervate!

Hermione’s eyes flicked open. Kevin placed an arm under her shoulders and helped her to her feet. He waved his wand and the desks were placed back in their original positions. Keeping a firm grip on Hermione, he gently placed her into a seat. “Everyone back to their desks,” he said. The students moved quickly. “Can anyone tell me the point of that exercise?”

Harry raised his hand. “To teach us that this isn’t an ordinary shield spell?”

“Right,” Kevin answered. “Contrary to Hermione’s original statement, this isn’t an ordinary shield charm. It is a variation on the original spell. The Patronus forms a shell that takes the place of the wizard, but when it takes corporeal form it becomes something that can think and move for as long as the wizard needs it. In the case of what happened when I jinxed Hermione, it was simply not able to handle the force of the spell. This is not because she was not able to handle it, but because she has never had to use her Patronus to block spells before.

“No doubt that when we start using the Patronus charms as shields, there will be a few of you who cannot handle the strain of the spell but don’t worry, this will take time. As we go through the year, we will be experimenting with more and more powerful spells. I’ll tell you now that part of your N.E.W.T. exam for this class is to be able to block the most powerful curse that can be cast against you: the Cruciatus Curse.”

The room did not make another noise for the rest of the period. Kevin kept telling them about the importance of training their Patronus forms to take punishment. This was the only way that the spell would become powerful enough to handle the more powerful spells. Kevin told them that he would be holding practice sessions outside of class for the students who were not confident in their own abilities and wanted a bit more help.

When the bell sounded, the class filed out of the room. Harry, Ron and Hermione walked together down the corridor. “He can’t really cast that spell on us, can he?” Ron asked. “It’s illegal to use an Unforgivable Curse.”
“It wouldn’t surprise me in the least if either he or Professor Dumbledore got permission from the Ministry of Magic to add that to our exam,” Harry said. “This means that we better know what we are doing.”

“I think it’s good that we’re going to be tested on such a difficult spell,” Hermione interjected. She had fully recovered from the Impediment jinx. “It’s useful and can save our lives in the real world.”

Ron shook his head. “She gets knocked out and told she was wrong in the same class, and still defends the teacher.”

Harry could only smile. In spite of the disturbing news they had just received about his N.E.W.T. exams, his friends could still act as if nothing had happened in the last hour.

********************************************************

“And Miss Weasley will be with…Mr. Harmen,” Professor Sprout said.

Ginny looked across the greenhouse and met eyes with Robert. They had just been made partners for the remainder of the term for the various projects and essays that the Sixth Year Herbology class. He winked, causing Ginny to turn her head quickly before he noticed her blushing cheeks. Professor sprout continued speaking. “Now, the first thing that I want each partnership to do is complete an essay detailing the proper way to make a plant hybrid, using the list of plants that I have specified in your text. I expect the work to done equally and if I find that one partner is not holding up their end of the work, then I will fail them.”

Ginny rested her chin in her hands. She knew that Robert preferred working in the late evenings, and she would have like to spend that time with Harry. She chanced a look in Robert’s direction and found that he was still staring at her.

The bell finally sounded. Ginny grabbed her things quickly, but it was not fast enough. “Hi, Ginny,” Robert said. His bag was already over his shoulder and he was standing next to her. Ginny chanced a guess that he had started putting his things together before the bell sounded, so as to get to her before she had a chance to leave.

“Hi, Robert,” she said back. She didn’t want to be rude. “Well, I guess it’s you and me again.” That was not the phrase she had wanted to use, but it was the only thing she could think of. “I mean…you and me…together…for the term…” She rambled for another few seconds.

Robert cut her off. “I know what you mean. So, when do you want to get together and start on the essay?”

“I don’t know,” she answered, not looking at him directly. She busied herself in her bag while she spoke. “I’m not sure when Quidditch practice will start, and I’ve got a lot of other work in other classes, so I’m not sure when…” She looked up and came eye to eye with him. For a moment, she couldn’t speak. They just stared at each other, and then, “I’ll have to let you know.”

She grabbed her bag and hurried out of the greenhouse.

**********************************************************

Dumbledore raced down the halls of the Ministry of Magic with Kevin close at his heels. Both men looked frantic to those that they passed. They did not stop to exchange words with anyone; their faces told people that this was not the time for words.

Soon, they came to the Department of Magical Law Enforcement. Arthur Weasley was waiting for them in the front office. He seemed to have aged a good ten years since they had last met. He turned to the two teachers as they approached. “Thank you both for coming so quickly.”

“You said you had some information,” Dumbledore said. “Something to explain all these attacks and riots.”

Arthur shook his head. “I’m not sure if you could call it information, but one of the rioters came out of his coma and has some interesting stories to tell.”

“Who?” Kevin asked.

“Kingsley Shacklebolt.”

Shacklebolt, a loyal member of the Order of the Phoenix, had been involved in the London riots that had injured a number of Muggles. He had been quickly subdued, but due to injuries sustained before his capture he had been unconscious for the past few weeks. It troubled a few of the Healers at St. Mungo’s that he could not be revived. Some speculated that he had been hit with a powerful curse, while others believed he had done this to himself to avoid punishment for his actions.

Whatever the reasons, Kingsley was now awake and would have to answer some questions. Arthur led the other men to a back room. It was small, only enough space for a small table, which had been clearly designed for two to sit at. Kingsley was sitting on one side with his hands bound and his head cast downward. Dumbledore sat opposite him, while Kevin moved behind Shacklebolt and Arthur stood behind the headmaster.

Dumbledore folded his hands on the tabletop. “Kingsley, can you hear me?” Kingsley’s head did not move. “It’s Albus. I’ve come to see if I can help you.”

The other man lifted his eyes slightly. There was fear evident in them. “No one can help me now,” he said. “He’s been inside my head. I felt his anger, his hatred. I could feel him guiding my movements.”

“Who, Kingsley?” Dumbledore asked. “Who are you talking about?”

Kingsley’s head lifted even more and his eyes locked with Dumbledore. His lips curved upwards into a sinister smile. “My new master, Lord Voldemort.” He suddenly leapt from his chair and lunged at Dumbledore.

Kevin quickly grabbed the crazed man by his shoulders and forced him down onto the table. Kingsley’s hands were still bound together, but he managed to struggle free of Kevin’s grip. Arthur quickly pulled out his wand and cast a stunning spell against Kingsley. The man collapsed to the floor.

The others vacated the room as Ministry Aurors moved in to take Kingsley to a cell. He would most likely be taken to Azkaban sooner or later. Arthur led Kevin and Dumbledore down the hallway to an office. They locked the door behind them. “I never would have thought that Kingsley Shacklebolt of all people would betray us. If I hadn’t heard it from his own mouth…”

Kevin folded his arms and leaned against the wall. “Albus, what did you sense from him when you looked into his eyes?”

Dumbledore took a seat in an armchair that he conjured. “I could not read that he was lying, but nor was he telling the truth. He seemed to be of two minds.”

“Could he be under the Imperius Curse?” Arthur asked.

Kevin shrugged. “It’s possible, but he wasn’t exhibiting the usual signs that that spell leaves on a person. A person is usually blank, showing no real emotion at all. If what Albus says is true and he was of two minds, than his real one should have broken through. The goal of the Imperius Curse is to suppress your original will. If there is any hint of a person’s mind still left, then it can usually break through.”

“So, what does this mean? Could Voldemort be using another method of control?”

Kevin shook his head. “Not a chance. He would have no way of doing anything without his powers. He’s stripped of his magical abilities for at least another eight months.”

Dumbledore raised his eyes. “Perhaps one of his followers? Perhaps one of his sons?”

“Possible,” Kevin said. “But I wouldn’t be surprised if those four were fighting amongst themselves right now. Those four right now are the most powerful Death Eaters, and they would like nothing more then to take over the whole operation. For a while now, those four will be at odds with one another so I’m not sure if they’d have the brains to pull off something like this.” He started pacing. “I don’t know. Something about all of this doesn’t seem right. Kingsley has no reason to go over to the other side. If he isn’t under the Imperius Curse, then something else has to be affecting him. Whatever it is, it’s something that we have not seen before.”
“An experimental curse?” Dumbledore asked.

“Again, possible,” Kevin answered. “This doesn’t make any sense. All of these riots started by people that are law-abiding citizens and have been all of their lives. It’s strange.”

Dumbledore looked over at the Mr. Weasley. “Arthur, have any of the other rioters exhibited similar symptoms as Kingsley?”

Arthur shrugged. “I haven’t spoken with any of the others that we have in custody. I can have the files pulled for you.”

Dumbledore stood. “Thank you. Please have them sent to Hogwarts. Kevin and I must be getting back before we are missed.”

As the two teachers started to leave the office, Arthur stopped them. “Wait a moment.” The others turned to him. “Have you noticed anything else wrong with Ginny?”

Kevin shook his head. “She hasn’t shown any other signs that something is bothering her. We’ve been keeping an eye on her, but she seems to be all right. If anything happens we will let you and Molly know about it.”

Arthur shook both of their hands. “Thank you.”