Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Countdown by arus_knight

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
I dedicate this story, and all those that came before it and after it, to the athletes in the world of Professional Wrestling that have lost their lives to their passion. We remember your heart and your desire, and we remember your love for those you entertained.

To Owen Hart...to Chris Candido...to Michael Lockhard...to Eddie Guerrero...and to all that have fallen...

Your fans love you and miss you. Via Con Dios.


Morning came far too soon for Ginny. She had tossed in her bed for most of the night, not wanting to sleep for fear of her nightmares haunting her once again. She also couldn’t stop thinking about last night and the feelings she was having towards someone that she thought she had put out of her life four years ago.

Ginny rolled onto her side, her mind regressing into the past…

********************************************************

The start of her second year at Hogwarts had just begun. Her classes were not that difficult, and she was sure that she would be able to pick up on the rest if given enough time. Despite all of that, Ginny Weasley had a bit of uneasiness as she walked along the corridors of the school. After the events at the end of last year, she couldn’t help but feel as though all eyes seemed to bore into the back of her skull when she wasn’t looking, and then turning away quickly.

Though there had been no “official” announcement of the events in the Chamber of Secrets, the rumors flew faster around Hogwarts then a Golden Snitch. Her name had been whispered more then a few times. Ginny walked quickly without stopping to meet anyone’s eye. No one would understand what had happened to her. How could they?

Her parents had tried to talk with her after the incident, but all they could do was make her feel weak and helpless about the whole deal.
Oh Ginny dear, there is no need to feel bad about this. Stronger wizards then you have been put under those spells. No matter what her mother and father said it never made a difference.

The only person that she could possibly talk with was Harry. She knew, though, that that was impossible. Ginny could never put two words together when he was around. She was always stumbling over herself to seem calm and composed. Besides, he wouldn’t know anything more about her condition then anyone else. After all, a dark wizard had never possessed him. He wouldn’t be any more help then her own parents.

But then…when everything seemed as though it was against her, someone walked into her life that seemed to make things better. A tall, blonde haired boy had come up to her one day and introduced himself. Robert was his name, and it was a name that she would never forget. He was kind and his voice made Ginny feel safe. She wasn’t afraid to talk about the Chamber or Riddle’s diary with him. Something in his eyes seemed to radiate peace around her.

Ginny never told her brothers about Robert. She knew they would just tease her. It was a bit of an adventure for her, sneaking around with her secret boyfriend. Even with Sirius Black at large and the Dementors roaming the castle grounds, when Robert was around nothing else mattered.

If she had wanted, those feelings could have lasted forever. Robert had never given her a reason to want to leave him, and she had never made up a reason. No, the reason she left him was already there. It always had been.

Harry Potter.

Ginny could not get the dark-haired boy out of her thoughts. He was always there and nothing she could do could get him out. Eventually, Ginny told Robert that she couldn’t see him anymore. He wasn’t angry, jealous or hateful. He simply smiled. Robert had always just wanted her to be happy. He had never asked anything else except that she be happy.

Ginny remembered him bending down to kiss her hand…and then walk away.


***********************************************************

That was what infuriated Ginny most about Robert. He could be charming even when he was being dumped.

Ginny had never forgotten her time with him, but she also never forgot that she had feelings for another. Harry had made her happier then she had been, except for the time she had been with Robert. She placed her hands over her eyes. It was all so confusing to her. She didn’t love Robert the way she loved Harry, but something was there; something that she couldn’t explain, and therefore couldn’t fight against.

She threw the covers off of her and got to her feet. Something about this day didn’t seem right to her. Ginny dragged off her nightdress and changed into a set of clean robes. As it was Saturday, there was no physical reason for her to leave her room. However, sooner or later someone would want to know why she was keeping herself upstairs. Ginny trudged down the steps towards the common room.

There were a number of Gryffindors still in the tower, but Harry was not among them. She spotted Hermione sitting near the fire, Crookshanks in her lap and a book in her hands. Ginny started walking towards the portrait hole, but Hermione’s voice stopped her. “Ginny, wait.” Ginny stopped in her tracks. She shut her eyes for a minute, then opened them and turned to her friend. “Harry wanted to talk to you, but he ran out of here in a hurry about ten minutes ago.”

Ginny tried to hide her disappointed expression. Harry was not someone she wanted to speak to right now. “Thanks, Hermione,” she said without turning. “I’ll go and find him.” She left the common room.

**********************************************************

“But professor,” Harry said, his hands flat on Dumbledore’s desk. “I know I saw some kind of smoky figure come out of my wand.”
Dumbledore turned Harry’s wand over in his hands. Gazing at it through his half-moon spectacles, he examined it. “Harry, I have no doubt that you are sure of what you saw. However, we must wait for someone who has specialty in this matter.”

The door to Dumbledore’s office opened. Harry turned to the occupant who had just entered, and his heart fell. He had expected Kevin to be on the other side of the door, but it was Snape instead. The dark-haired professor nodded to Dumbledore as he entered and gave Harry a snide smirk. “You summoned me, Headmaster?” he said.

Dumbledore passed Harry’s wand to Snape. “It seems as though some peculiar activity has been occurring with Mr. Potter’s wand as of late, Professor Snape. I was hoping you could give us some answers.”

Snape looked over the wand. “What sort of “peculiar activity” are you referring to?”

Dumbledore nodded to Harry, indicating that he should explain. Harry took a deep breath. “Well, for a bit, my wand has been letting off some strange silver smoke, but today I could have sworn that it looked like a person.”

Snape did not look at Harry. “Anyone you might know?”

“No,” Harry said. “Should I have?”

“Do not get cheek with me, Potter,” Snape said. “I am still a teacher, even if you are not in any of my classes.”

“Now, now,” Dumbledore interjected. “Harry, Professor Snape must still be shown the respect that you would give me.” He turned to Snape. “And you, Severus, should keep your temper. Now, can you tell us anything about Harry’s wand?”

Snape looked over the wand once more. “I’m afraid, Headmaster, that something of this nature is quite uncommon. In fact, the only instance that I can recall happened around two and a half years ago, when the Dark Lord returned.”

Harry was stunned for a moment. He remembered that night in the graveyard at the end of his fourth year. Voldemort had been resurrected and had challenged Harry to a duel to the death. The two had locked wands and the spirits of Voldemort’s victims had materialized from his wand. But that would mean…

“However,” Snape continued. “Unless Mr. Potter has been using an illegal curse without anyone knowing, I would find it difficult that such an occurrence could repeat itself.” He handed the wand to Harry.

Dumbledore nodded. “I see. Then we have a mystery on our hands. Perhaps when Professor Hall returns, we can have a second opinion on this matter. Until then, Harry, I suggest that you keep a close eye on your wand and report any other odd behavior to Professor Snape.” Harry left the office.

Snape stood in front of the desk for a moment. Dumbledore glanced over at him. “Something on your mind, Severus?”

“Well, professor,” he started to say. “I have the distinct impression that you are keeping something from both me and Potter. I realize that it is not my place to question you, but I would hope that you would have some trust in me after all of these years.”

Dumbledore merely smiled. “Severus, as I have told many people time and time again, you have my full confidence. However, at this moment, there are some things that must be kept secret. I assure you that I will not keep anything from you unless absolutely necessary. I hope that this will satisfy you for now.”

Snape nodded his head, but it was clear from his expression that he was not satisfied.