Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

In Adversity We Know Our Friends by Wise Owl

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
“Well, there’s no need for you to continue dressing,” a very somber Charlie told Bill as he walked back into the men’s quarters, “Fleur’s gotten cold feet and run off.”

A half-naked Bill took off towards the door at the dire proclamation. He fell twice as he ran down the hallway, his unbuckled pants wrapping tightly around his ankles. When he had made it a fair distance away, Charlie shouted, “Just kidding!”

Thereafter he quickly apparated as the rest of the Weasley boys and Harry stood laughing at the disgruntled Bill who swore if Charlie dared to show his face at the wedding he would tear him limb from limb. Not twenty minutes later Charlie had convinced Bill that Fleur was in a fit of tears and refusing to walk down the aisle because the florist had brought the wrong color flowers. Bill seemed to have a very short attention span because once it was one hour to the wedding Charlie had again convinced him that Fleur was refusing to marry him, this time because her old Beauxbatons boyfriend had come for her.

The women were having similar fun in their section, Percy had whispered to Harry. Tonks had told Fleur that the men had hired a striper for Bill, which had sent her into a rage that almost brought the whole wedding hall down around their ears. Subsequently, Ginny had come up with a spectacular fabrication that Bill and Tonks had once dated and were still secretly in love. At that trumped-up story Fleur had cried her eyes out for a good half hour. From then on, Mrs. Weasley forbade them from annoying Fleur in any fashion. Conversely, Mr. Weasley thoroughly enjoyed driving Bill up the wall.

Now that there were only thirty minutes before the wedding procession, the whole thing seemed surreal to Harry. Ron snapped at everyone that came near him presumably terrified at walking down the aisle alone. He confided to Harry that he had not asked Luna to be his date irregardless of what Hermione might think. Harry had been sure that all the distress Ron had inflicted on Hermione would come back to haunt him and didn’t fancy being in Ron’s shoes one bit. Of course his own shoes were going to be rather tight while he walked down the aisle with Ginny but at least he wouldn’t have to endure the humiliation of walking unaccompanied.

The minutes trickled away and they were soon being marched outside the wedding hall where the voices rumbled within. Bill gave them an anxious wave as he went inside to take his place at the altar. Once he was in position Mr. Weasley sent Percy off to get the women. Gabrielle came first in a rather sour mood as Fred’s partner Angelina joined him and they were mock stretching to prepare themselves for the walk. It was in that instant that Charlie remembered that he did not have a partner to walk down the aisle. He picked up a white blossom from a nearby arrangement and approached Gabrielle.

Busy surly eyeing Angelina she was caught by surprise when Charlie got down on bended knee in front of her.

“Little one,” he began, “I find that you and I are without a partner! I propose that we rectify this situation right away! Will you walk down the aisle with me?”

After a bit of giggling and blushing Gabrielle took the blossom from Charlie and nodded sheepishly. He offered his arm to her and she shyly took it while sneaking a glance at Fred to make sure he was watching. Charlie walked Gabrielle to the front of the line pushing Fred and Angelina out of their way. He covertly looked over his shoulder and let them know, “The eldest goes first.”

Harry leaned over to tease Ron about Charlie getting the last available woman and query whether he had thought to ask Gabrielle? Before he could get a word out the sight that met his eyes stopped his ability to speak altogether. In a flowing bridesmaid dress of light green tones with garlands intertwined in her deep red locks Ginny had arrived. Hermione also looked amazing in a light blue dress with ribbons in holding her once bushy mane now miraculously tamed into spiraling curls. They were flawlessly made up and balanced themselves quite gracefully on heels that were simply too high to be allowed.

Ginny and Hermione stepped out from behind the large banister that separated the men’s and women’s section and walked towards them. Harry and Ron shot each other a quick look that confirmed that they both had had the breath knocked out of them, albeit for different reasons. He was sure that Ginny had correctly identified the astounded look on his face when she raised one eyebrow at him in bemusement. The huge double doors that lead into the wedding hall opened up before Harry could compliment Ginny on her look.

Hermione took her place by Ron’s side without being asked. Harry felt that she deserved a standing ovation for all the class she was showing. Even after all the hurt Ron had put her through with his immaturity here she was standing by his side in his moment of need. Tonks, Mrs. Weasley, Mrs. Delacour, Mr. Delacour and Fleur arrived just in the nick of time. The pianoforte began to play the wedding march and they all got in line. Harry noticed that George seemed to have made good on his promise and had both Alicia Spinnet and Katie Bell as his dates.

Charlie and Gabrielle went first, followed by Percy and Penelope then the twins and their combined dates. Ron, who had still not offered his arm to Hermione, took her hand in his own. He laced their fingers together while starring straight ahead at the aisle in front of them. She gave him a strange look as he twisted his arm to bring her closer. They were now in the position to walk down the aisle and they did so. Harry got a lump in his throat. A wave of déjà vu overtook him although he knew he had never seen them walk down the aisle before. He hoped he would be there the next time they would walk down the aisle. In that instant, he was sure there would be a next time.

He ushered Ginny to their position and turned for one last look at her. She had also chosen that moment to glance at him. Gazing into her eyes he felt reassured that they would make it, together. The signal came and they were the last couple to walk down the aisle. It seemed to be an impossibly long trek, but with Ginny on his arm, as his date, he was content. Once they had reached the end he reluctantly let Ginny go and took his place besides Ron. The old witch at the pianoforte began to play the wedding march on a higher chord just as she had done in rehearsal.

That was Fleur’s signal to walk down the aisle with her parents by her side. Everyone in the wedding hall took a collective gasp when their eyes fell upon the radiant bride. Harry took that moment to sneak a glance at Ginny who was already looking at him. He felt no awkwardness as he allowed his eyes to drink her in. All too soon Fleur had reached Bill and they stood at the altar. As they spoke their vows Harry noted that Ginny and Hermione had lapsed into silent tears.

His parents had married when they were only a few years older than him. In their wedding pictures they had seemed so happy and carefree. He stole another glance at Ginny and wondered, could he ever be that naïve?


The real party didn’t start until the reception. Harry was shocked when Mafalda had walked in with Dudley on her arm. Amusingly, Dudley looked relieved to see Harry and had annoyed him for a good twenty minutes with empty conversation until he saw Hagrid and Madame Maxime making their way over to them. The frightened Dudley had run back to Mafalda and her human-sized cousins.

“’Arry I’m glad to see ya I am!” Hagrid declared in a booming voice.

“I’m glad to see you too!” Harry sincerely said remembering the horrifying scene he had witnessed during his astronomy OWL in which a group of ministry wizards had attempted to take Hagrid out inadvertently striking Professor McGonagall.

Harry was genuinely surprised to see Hagrid at such a formal function when at the end of the previous school year he had been forced into hiding.

“Did Dumbledore…?” before he could complete his thought Hagrid wailed, “Great man Dumbledore! Great man!”

He took it to mean yes, Dumbledore had located and taken care of Hagrid.

Hagrid leaned down and said in a much quieter and more concerned tone, “How’re ya feelin’ ‘Arry? Been doin’ alright since…you know?”

The third degree about Sirius wasn’t as bad as he’d expected and he was able to get out having to answer any questions when Ginny grabbed him for their first dance.

“Thanks,” he whispered in her ear, his hand on the small of her back as he held her close and inhaled her scent for the umpteenth time.

“Welcome,” she replied looking away.

The time seemed to stretch as they danced but he knew that the precious few stolen moments that they had were ebbing away. If he didn’t say something now he would regret it.

“I’m sorry.”

She looked into his eyes, he felt his knees lock, his stomach clenched up, “Me too.”

There was really no reason for her to be sorry, but he knew she simply wanted to clear the air between them. Without thinking he pulled her closer and kissed the top of her head. If he could stay in that spot holding Ginny forever, he would do so in a heart beat. His honest nature forced him to confess that his attempts to block her out all these years were futile. Walking down the aisle with her by his side had reinforced what he knew all along, he had always loved Ginny.

When he had first seen her at the train station, her shy demeanor had caught his attention. Seeing all her brothers around her had been quite off putting. Then, the following year…it was impossible to describe the fear that had gripped his heart when he learned that Ginny had been taken into the chamber or the rage that had raced through him when he had seen her lying helpless on the cold marble floor while Riddle sucked her soul out bit by bit. He had watched her on the quidditch pitch, in the hallways between classes, in their common room, and at Hogsmeade.

She had dealt him quite the blow when she had gotten with that git Michael. He could never appreciate someone like Ginny, of that Harry was certain. Now she was with Dean. Dean was better suited for Ginny, but that didn’t mean he was the most suitable one. From what he knew of Dean, he was sure he’d see Ginny in all her glory and appreciate her. That’s what made his so dangerous. What if Ginny fell for Dean? He knew the answer to that, his heart would whither up and die. Still, it was a risk he had to take, a risk he was glad to take.

What if Voldemort went after Ginny again? The first time, it was merely because he was a friend of her family. What if he knew the extent of his feelings towards Ginny? He took a deep whiff of her perfume and nestled his face into her hair. He’d kill her. Like he killed everyone else that Harry ever loved. He could never risk losing Ginny to Voldemort, even if that meant giving Ginny to Dean. The curves of her body seemed to fit perfectly into his. He didn’t want to think about all the reasons Ginny was off limits, he wanted to record this moment as one of the precious few he would have with her.

She went rigid in his arms, “Dean?”

Was she reading his mind?

“Dean!” she exclaimed looking at a spot over his shoulder.

His world came crashing down around him, he knew without looking what he’d find when he turned around. He let his hands fall away from her and she took off leaving him standing in the middle of the dance floor. There was no way to control the bitterness that spread within him like a disease ripping his insides apart. As he finally turned he saw Dean twirl her. The hollow feeling grew more acute than ever as he reminded himself…

She’s with Dean.