Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

In Adversity We Know Our Friends by Wise Owl

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: The Doves have it ;) Thanks to you who voted!!!

Chapter 36: The Dove

The sound of some thing crashing into a suit of armor just outside the door woke them from the stupor they had fallen into and moved them into action. Harry made it to the door first, motivated by the fear that someone had overheard the topic they were discussing. As soon as Lupin had him covered by hiding behind the door he swung the door open slightly. Sounds of two kids arguing about the direction they should go relieved Harry’s agitated senses. A couple of kids had, no doubt, taken a nighttime excursion hoping to get into some fun and mischief. Initially, his instinct told him to let them be on their way and sneak back to his own common room with Ginny, but when he recognized one the young voices as belonging to Evan Bailey he decided to chastise them and send them back to bed. As he made to open the door all the way Ginny’s nails sunk into the flesh of his forearm. He paused, certain that she had read his thoughts and disapproved of his intended action. The kids soon decided on the corridor to take and made their way, still arguing in hushed tones.

“That was close,” Ginny commented.

“We’d better be getting back to the common room,” Harry murmured, still bothered by the fact that they had let the kids wonder around during the middle of the night.

“I’ll go first and make sure that the coast is clear for you two,” Lupin said. “Wait until you see a yellow spark before leaving the classroom.”

Lupin casually strolled down the hallway, as though on patrol for the night and sent the yellow sparks as he turned into another corridor.

Ginny exited the class before Harry, though she seemed somewhat confused. She was swiftly walking the way opposite of their common room.

“The common room is the other way,” he whispered when he finally caught up to her.

“I know,” she replied, all the while doubling her speed with a sense of urgency.

“Where are we…?”

Harry’s question stopped as abruptly as Ginny. She motioned him behind a statue of an old, ogre looking wizard and they quickly hid behind it. There was a second or two of silence in which Harry wondered if Ginny had lost her mind, when suddenly the familiar noise of the Evan Bailey and his friend arguing reached his ears.

“Here it is,” Evan’s friend said triumphantly, “I told you we should have made the first right turn!”

Evan mumbled something incoherent and the two of them made their way into a class.

“It’s about time,” came the unmistakable voice of Severus Snape, “shut the door and be quick about it.”

Harry shot Ginny a startled glance as the door was quickly closed by the clumsy kids.

“Do you see the torch on the wall?” Ginny asked suddenly.

Harry looked to the wall opposite them and saw a lit torch not too far from the door and nodded.

“Do you notice how there’s no shadows being cast on the floor by the light?”

Harry turned his attention to the floor and found that Ginny was correct.

“It’s a false wall,” she continued, “whenever people try to lean against it they fall through into my arithmancy class.”

“We could enter the classroom that way,” Harry said, finally catching on.

“If we stand directly in the center of it, our bodies will be hidden to both those in the corridor and those in the class and we’ll be able to hear everything,” Ginny whispered.

“Let’s go,” Harry replied.

When they got in front of the wall Ginny put her arms tightly by her side took one large step into the wall, instantly disappearing. Using her method, Harry quickly followed. It was like stepping into a tight box that allowed absolutely no light to get through, but Snape’s voice was loud and clear.

“…and make sure he receives the proper dosage,” he lectured sternly, “I don’t have time to fix your mistakes.”

“I’ll make sure of it,” Evan spoke up, seeming quite eager to please.

“Do we have to change the amount we give him or the dosage size?” Evan’s friend inquired.

“Nothing changes!” Snape said angrily. “The Dementia Drought is very specific; it will run its course in two more weeks.”

“Sir, what about the pixie dust for the other potion?” Evan asked, appearing more self assured now that his friend had been censured. “My Uncle can send another carton with the morning post if we need it.”

“That won’t be necessary Mr. Bailey,” Snape replied in a much calmer tone, “we already have two spare cartons as it is. Now take this potion and get back to your common room before anyone notices you’re gone.”

“Yes sir,” they mumbled simultaneously.

The sound of the door opening and shutting signaled their departure. Harry held very still, hoping that there was no part of his body sticking out of the wall façade behind him. When he heard the whooshing sound that their cloaks made as they passed the wall he let out a silent sign of relief. He felt Ginny reach out and push him slightly back and they both emerged from within the wall back into the corridor. They quickly made their way to the common room, hoping that Evan and his friend were headed there. As they approached their destination, they heard voices arguing though neither belonged to Evan.

“Ron?” Ginny asked in surprise.

“Where in the blazes have you been?” Ron cried out, as he turned to face his sister.

“Not now,” Hermione intruded, “she’s got Harry with her so we’re set to go immediately.”

“Come along,” Ron commanded them as he and Hermione began to run hurriedly.

Harry and Ginny only had enough time to obey the command without asking where they were headed. The path they were taking was familiar and Harry realized that they were all headed to Dumbledore’s office.

“Dumbledore’s not here,” Harry wheezed as they stopped at the statue that hid the opening leading to his office.

“Lupin told us,” Ginny confirmed.

“Well he’s back,” Ron stated firmly as he turned to the statue and said, “Sherbet Orange.”

Ron and Hermione wasted no time with explanations, launching themselves into the opening and running up the spiral staircase so Harry and Ginny followed. Once they reached Dumbledore’s door Ron knocked loudly and entered before receiving permission. Dumbledore’s office seemed to be in complete disarray as he searched frantically for something through his cabinets. Upon their entry, however, he turned his attention to them.

“This will have to do,” he said, setting an old, worn tire in the middle of his desk.

Instantly, Ron and Hermione moved the take a grip of the tire. Ginny shrugged her shoulders at him giving up on any hope of an explanation and grabbed hold of the tire. Harry found himself following her lead for the second time that night and hoped that she was doing the right thing as he gripped the tire and felt as though a hook had been attached to the back of his bellybutton. The sensation of being ripped from the room along with the whooshing sound made him feel lightheaded. All too soon and yet not soon enough he felt his feet crash to a slate floor and he buckled at the knees.

“It’s about time!” The frantic voice of Mrs. Weasley came from the kitchen of Grimmauld Place.

Feeling that if he spoke he was likely to be sick, Harry allowed her to lead them all into the hallway and out of the front door where a group of six Order wizards including Mr. Weasley were waiting to escort them.

“Everyone in front of me and stick together,” Mad Eye Moody instructed as he pushed them roughly into pairs and sent them behind Mr. Weasley who had taken off in a hurry the moment they arrived.

Harry could feel a cramp in his side as he struggled to keep up. Less than ten minutes later they were standing in front of the telephone booth that Mr. Weasley had used to bring Harry into the Ministry of Magic the previous summer.

“Everyone in,” Mr. Weasley ordered and Harry thought that this would be no small feat to accomplish.

Amazingly enough, the cramped looking booth expanded to fit everyone with Mad Eye bringing up the rear and tightly shutting the door with some difficulty.

“State your name out loud one at a time,” Kingsley Shaklebolt announced before stating his name.

“Harry Potter,” Harry said after everyone had finished.

“We have all received a special summons from the Minister of Magic,” Kingsley stated.

“Identities confirmed,” a witch’s voice echoed. “Please wait to be transported.”

Although it was already dark outside, Harry felt the remaining light ebb away and realized they were being sucked down into the ground, slowly at first, and then fast. As they stood in front of the magnificent looking Ministry building an army of Ministry officials descended upon them, taking their wands and reconfirming their identity. Soon, they were each fitted with a special bracelet that gave Harry a sensation that he his movements and actions were severely restricted. Once they had met with all the precautions, they were gravely led one by one into the Ministry surrounded by four Ministry officials a piece.

Each person was led to a separate lift, which seemed to already know where they were supposed to be taken. Along with their guard duty, as Harry had come to think of the officials assigned to them, they entered a gigantic arena style room whose center resembled a lewd attempt at a courtroom. Kingsley Shaklebolt, who appeared to have been assigned duty of Mr. Weasley, seated them in a cluster of seats before turning to address the mass audience that awaited them.

“The remaining members of the Weasley family and Harry Potter have arrived,” he announced.

A hush fell over the crowd and the eyes of everyone in the arena turned as one to the area where Harry and the Weasley’s sat. Immediately, a voice from the center of the arena caught everyone’s attention. Harry recognized the speaker to be Amelia Bones, the new Minister of Magic.

“The High Court is now called to order.”

Complete silence fell upon the entire arena, so much so, that a pin drop could be heard with ease.

“The accusations shall be read individually to those accused, once your name is called, please stand.”

The tension among the crowd seemed to spark and Harry felt a strange sensation of unease. He recalled the trials he had seen in Dumbledore’s pensive and felt a strong sense of déjà vu. The Minister looked up from the paper she had been reading and he knew she was looking directly at him. This was confirmed when she stated the first name:

“Harry Potter.”

Whispers broke out, most people were vehemently muttering in anger that Harry Potter should be called out at all. Other people were simply shocked and sat in disbelief perversely observing what Harry’s next move would be. Knowing he was now here to face accusations being made against him, though he had no clue what they could possibly be, gave him the courage and conviction to stand and face his accusers.

“Harry Potter, you are accused of high treason. You are further accused of being involved in secret organizations to undermine the authority of the Ministry. You are accused of plotting to overthrow the Ministry.”

Harry made sure to make no outwardly sign that any of her words had affected him, though he was shocked at her accuracy. He had not plotted to overthrow the Ministry, but he was involved in both the DA and the Order and neither organization had any particular loyalty to the Ministry. He was unsure of whether he was to respond but was saved the trouble.

“I, the Minister of Magic, do hereby acquit you of all charges. You may be seated.”

The crowd approved of this action, some by applauding and others by whispering. Harry distinctly heard the voice of Ludo Bagman saying “that’s right you do” somewhere out in the distant crowd as he took his seat. The Minister did not seem to notice the fanfare she was creating. Instead, she took out another parchment and read out the next name:

“Ginerva Weasley.”

Harry felt a sudden heat in the back of his neck. He turned to look at Ginny but was startled by what he saw. Ginny looked deadly calm and composed to the degree that it troubled him. She stood and looked the Minister square in the eyes. Everyone and most of all, the Minister became highly disconcerted. Harry could have sworn that he saw either a faint breeze or an electric charge lift Ginny’s hair ever so lightly for an intensely dramatic effect. A bit of fear permeated through the crowd members who were close enough to see her full appearance.

“Ginerva Weasley you stand accused of consorting with known Death Eaters. You are further accused of plotting with known Death Eaters to the detriment of wizarding society.”

The tension in the room could have been cut with a knife and Harry had a distinct feeling that it was an unnatural tension. His intuition insisted that Ginny was causing the strange feeling he had that some invisible thing was pressing against his ears, eyes and mouth. Despite his blurry vision, he was certain that he saw a small flame travel from the root of Ginny’s hair to the bottom tip and than it was gone.

“I, the Minister of Magic, do here acquit you of all charges.”

The tension in the room dissipated with this pronouncement and several people let out a small cheer. Ginny, however, continued to stare at the Minister. Looking carefully, Harry noticed that Ginny’s pupil’s seemed to have grown to such a degree that her eye color was no longer visible. The Minister, who was quite composed before, now seemed somewhat troubled.

“You may be seated Ms. Weasley,” she said somewhat forcefully.

Ginny seemed to come out of her trance and took her seat gracefully. Harry was sure she had used her Volcen abilities and hoped he would soon get a chance to ask what she learned.

The Minister turned to face a cell in which three wizards were seated. Though Harry could not see them he knew there were three because the chairs they were strapped to had high enough backs for everyone to see.

“Fredrick and George Weasley, you are accused of entering the Ministry with a concealed weapon. Furthermore, you are accused of attacking Ministry Officials. Finally, you are accused of conspiracy to extricate a prisoner of the Ministry.”

Of the crowd some people heckled, shouting “give them a break”, while others demanded “throw the wand at them!”

“I, the Minister of Magic, find you guilty on all charges.”

Boos and Hoorays broke out from every corner of the arena, so much so that the Minister was forced to call the gathered body back to order no less than three times. Harry turned to see how Mr. and Mrs. Weasley were taking the news, though they seemed to have anticipated the verdict. Once the crowd had settled, the Minister continued.

“You are hereby fined one-hundred Galleons a piece, per charge. There will be no jail time.”

This seemed equitable to the crowd, who clearly had a better idea of what exactly Fred and George had done to land themselves in this position than did Harry. Nevertheless, Harry vowed that he would make the necessary arrangements to pay for the bail of Fred and George as early as possible, knowing full well that there family would be bankrupted if they attempted to pay the fine of six-hundred Galleons that was imposed.

“William Weasley.”

Harry quickly returned his attention back to the Minister who was now addressing the person in the third chair. It took him a moment to realize that she was referring to Bill.

“William Weasley you are also accused of entering the Ministry with a concealed weapon. You are further accused of yielding your weapon within the Ministry.”

Everyone remained silent as the Minister took out the parchment that held her verdict on the matter of Bill’s accusation.

“I, the Minister of Magic, find you guilty on all charges.”

The Minister’s pronouncement was met with a chorus of Boos as well as heckling from the crowd but she put her hand up to quiet them and continued as though she had not been interrupted.

“Due to extenuating circumstances, you shall receive no punishment but merely a reprimand. You will be free to go after the course of this trial.”

The Minister was showered with cheers and applause. Clearly the crowd approved of the measures she had taken thus far. Behind him, Harry heard Mad Eye mutter “finally a Minister with common sense.”

The loud sound of a heavy lock being opened one clank at a time brought an end to all the merriment. Mrs. Weasley let out a sob and Mr. Weasley put him arm around her for support. Harry strained his neck as high as it would go so that he could see what was happening. Six huge, mean-looking wizards were heavily guarding and escorting a prisoner into the center of the arena. They strapped him in a slate, crude mockery of a chair and positioned themselves around him. No one spoke. No one breathed. Not a sound could be heard. A lone light shone on the prisoner.

With the way the prisoner held himself and his clean swept appearance there was no mistaking his identity.

“Percy Weasley, you are accused of the murder and dismemberment of Igor Karkaroff.”

A shocked intake of breath resounded throughout the arena.

“You are further accused of entry into unauthorized Ministry areas to leave the body parts of the victim.”

Everyone hung on her every word to ensure that they missed nothing. Not a thought passed through Harry’s mind as he took in every detail of what was going on.

“I, the Minister of Magic, find you guilty on all charges.”