Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

I Always Wondered If You Would by Miss

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Disclaimer: JKR owns this world, she is the one with the magical touch.

Chapter 3 An Interesting Cup of Tea




Still working in silence in her lab on a Saturday morning, stirring her cauldron, and thinking about him at the same time, Hermione spun around at the sound of whooshing flames. Seeing the head of Albus Dumbledore look up at her from her fireplace, she smiled, “Morning Albus.”

“Good morning Hermione. I had the feeling I would find you in your lab. What is the important potion you’re working on now that can’t possibly wait until Monday morning?” he asked with his usual twinkle in his eyes.

“A new healing potion, but it seems I can’t get it to work properly. I can’t find the right ingredients.”

“Ah yes, I heard Madam Pomfrey talking about this new healing potion of yours. She seems to be very excited about the possibilities. I’ll tell her you’re still working on it,” Albus was silent for a few seconds. Then, “Is there anything else you would like to tell me?” he looked at her inquiringly.

Hermione smiled. Even though she was long gone from Hogwarts, he still knew everything that concerned her and all the other people he cared about. She also knew she could tell the old wizard anything, so there was no point in hiding her reasons for being at work on a Saturday morning, “And I needed some time alone to think.”

Albus chuckled, “Nothing has ever changed in that department, has there.” It wasn’t a question and Hermione could only agree.

“What is it you came to see me for Albus?” Hermione knew that he hardly did anything or went anywhere without having his reasons. She had just told him hers, so why not ask him?

“Well nothing special really. I just wanted to ask you if you felt like having a cup of tea with me on this magnificent day. And before you say no as you usually do when working on something important,” for a fleeting moment he looked at her almost like a strict teacher would at a student, reminding her forcefully of Professor McGonagall, “just remember that two heads can come up with a better solution to your problem than one.”

Hermione wasn’t too sure which problem he was talking about but laughed none the less, “You are right Albus, as always. Give me a few moments to clean up.”

A few moments later, Hermione stepped out of the fireplace and into the beautiful oval office of Albus Dumbledore. She noticed that it hadn’t changed much since she had been there last. Her year as Head Girl was already six years in the past, but it seemed as if hardly any time had passed inside this office at all. The only thing that showed her that time had indeed passed were a couple of new trinkets spread here and there throughout the room. She wondered what they were for, always curious to learn something new. Waking out of her reverie, she finally turned to look at Albus and offered him a smile.
“All cleaned up? Time for some tea then,” he gave a flick of his wand, and a tea tray appeared. Another flick, and the cups filled themselves, “I can only assume you still prefer to drink Chinese Jasmin tea?” he stated offering Hermione a cup.

“Is there anything you don’t know?” she simply stated in return while gracefully accepting the cup that he was holding out to her.

“Well, I don’t seem to know what could trouble you so much to make you go into the office on a Saturday just so you can think.”

“It’s nothing really,” she sighed, “just some silly discussion I had with Ginny that got me thinking.”

“Ah, and how is young Miss Weasley?”

“Good,” quietly thanking Albus that he had changed the subject she continued, “she is about to become Mrs. Potter.”

The twinkle in the old wizard’s eyes became even clearer when he heard this, “So Harry has finally asked her to be his wife. Good, good. He needs someone strong in his life.”

Hermione immediately knew what he was thinking of. The final battle with Voldemort had been hard on all of them, especially on Harry, Albus and Severus Snape. It was in the past now, but not without its lingering effects.

“Yes, I was hoping Ginny would make him happy,” he muttered.

If Hermione had thought Albus had changed the subject earlier to make her more comfortable, she quickly found that he had absolutely no trouble at all with making her uncomfortable again. His musings on the last battle disappeared as he looked at the woman sitting in front of him, and remembering the reason why he had asked her to join him in tea. “So what was it that you and Miss Weasley were talking about that got you all bothered and working on a Saturday?”

It was no good. Hermione would have to spill, “Severus Snape,” she said softly.

Albus chuckled. He had known about this all along of course. He knew of most of the things that went on inside the castle and a lot about what went on outside it too. This love of Hermione for potions, and especially her potions master, was no exception. However, it was not like him to really meddle in someone’s love life, but that didn’t mean he couldn’t satisfy his curiosity and try and figure out if there was something in the first place. So at the moment he pretended the subject was new to him, “What about him?” he inquired innocently enough for Hermione to raise a brow.

“Well,” she paused unsure how to continue, then deciding that the truth seemed to be the only way to go, “Ginny seems to think that I’m in love with him. I mean,” oh why did she have to blush when she said that? She could feel the heat rise in her cheeks, “I did have a crush on him in my last year,” she whispered softly, “but I haven’t spoken to him or even seen him in almost three years, and before that we were always fighting if we ever did speak,” she added as an afterthought.

Albus looked at her with a slight frown. “If you haven’t seen him in three years, you could always go down to the dungeons and talk to him now. Even the temperature down there should be pleasant enough on a day like this.” Hermione stood up placing the empty tea cup back on his desk, giving Albus a warning with her eyes. “Just talking, Hermione, nothing more, you’re both adults now.”

“No Albus, no meddling,” she smiled at him, “Like I told Ginny yesterday, there is no such thing going on. Besides I don’t think Severus would like anyone, especially his former student, walking in on him during the holidays. I think I’ll just go to the Apothecary and pick up some new ingredients to try out.”

“You’re always welcome if you ever want to put our heads together again. Just let me know if you want to discuss that new healing potion of yours,” he smiled as she walked to the door.

Hermione turned and smiled, “I know, and I will.”


Walking out of the office, she was soon out of the castle. He had been right though, she thought as she walked over the school grounds enjoying the weather; on a warm day like this, even the dungeons wouldn’t stay cold. Oh well, it would probably only make Severus crawl in a deeper hole. Hermione grinned as she walked towards Hogsmeade.

When she was almost at the Apothecary, Hermione was stopped by the sight of a little shop she had never seen there before, and decided that it must be new. But it wasn’t the shop itself that had caught her attention. Inside, she saw the most beautiful lavender dress she had ever seen. That dress would be perfect for the wedding although she probably couldn’t even afford it. “The Apothecary Hermione,” she sighed to herself, “not dress shopping even if you do have to buy one soon.

As she left the little shop and walked further down the street, still deep in thought, she didn’t notice the man that had passed her in the opposite direction. While Hermione picked up the ingredients, she thought would work in the healing potion, and decided that she would work in her lab a few more hours.

Severus Snape stood across from the store Hermione had just been looking at. He wondered for a moment if it really was the bushy haired know-it-all he had just seen, because he had seen a beautiful young woman with hardly any trace left of the annoying schoolgirl he had known. But then he heard her mutter her own name. “What do you need a dress for Miss Granger? All you do is work on your potions and read.”.

Deciding he had better things to do than ponder the fate of one Hermione Granger, he took one fleeting look at the dress before he continued out of Hogsmeade and up to the castle. Gathering his thoughts on the work he wanted to do this afternoon he couldn’t help to think about her one last second, “You would look good in that lavender dress, though.




AN: Is she finally going to admit that she has feelings for the man? Is he ever going to notice her around? If you want to know, then let me know what you think of this so far. I will add chapters as soon as I can.