Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

I Always Wondered If You Would by Miss

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Disclaimer: I own nothing, JKR is the one with the magical touch.


Chapter 5 Buying dresses




“Oh Hermione, it’s absolutely beautiful!” Ginny was squealing in delight.

“I know, but I can’t afford it,” Hermione sighed. There was no way; her wallet would definitely not allow her to buy this dress. Ginny on the other hand was smiling mischievously, a small twinkle in her eyes.

“Well that doesn’t mean you can’t try it on while I try on all the different wedding dresses they have in this place! Come on, it will give you something to do besides commenting on me,” Ginny pulled Hermione inside enthusiastically.

They had finished their lunch a bit earlier, and now Hermione was showing Ginny the store where she had seen that beautiful lavender dress. As they walked into Eve’s Evening Gowns, Hermione noticed that the store wasn’t as small as she’d thought it had been, and the sight of so many dresses made her feel all giddy again, just like that morning. Ginny gave another small tuck on Hermione’s arm, and went straight for the wedding dresses. The mostly white, dresses were displayed at the back of the store. Hermione followed her suit, a smile on her face.

After a few moments of taking in all the luxurious fabrics, the beautiful lines, and the shear amount of dresses to choose from, Eve herself came up to them and noticed both women were looking equally happy.

“Who is the lucky girl, and what would she like to wear?” Eve questioned, and Hermione instantly pointed at Ginny and chuckled.

“She is the lucky girl, and she would like to shine.”

“Now that, we can accomplish,” she said with a smile.

Eve hadn’t been lying; there were several dresses that made Ginny shine, and after almost two hours of fitting one after the other, it had come down to two different dresses. Trying them on in turn, she finally decided that she had found the one. It was a beautiful silk-like gown with thin spaghetti straps. There were no details on it except for a single layer of thin see-through gossamer, almost like a veil, that was wrapped around the upper part of her arms and body. One end of it was attached to the side of the dress while the other went around her before it was pinned down just above her hip with a white rose. The end trailed down to the floor. The skirt was also without detail and fanned out a little when touching the floor.

“I think I’ll go for this one. It somehow feels like an outside summer dress, which is exactly what I need. What do you think Hermione?” Ginny grinned. Hermione was staring at the lavender dress again, pretty much like she had done all afternoon. It felt strange, but she somehow felt like it was her dress. She finally looked up when she heard her name.

”You look beautiful Gin; you’re positively glowing.”

“So would you in that lavender dress you were staring at. Go on, try it on,” she urged.

“Oh, why not? Miss Eve, could I try that lavender dress on, please?” Hermione asked pointing to the front of the store. Eve looked at her, and then at the dress.

“I’m sorry Miss, but I’m not sure if you can,” The two looked politely puzzled at her. Explaining she added, “You see, this gentleman send me an owl last week to buy that dress. He told me that the lady he bought it for would pick it up this week or the next. Since it is already paid for, I can’t really let anybody just try it on.”

Hermione felt a little disappointed. She had hoped that in a moment of weakness, she would try the dress on and find herself unable to leave the store without it. Ginny, however, wanted to know more about this mysterious man.

“You mean to tell me that a man bought this dress without ever letting you know who he was?”

“Yes. It’s not something that normally happens, but there was a voucher included with the right amount of galleons to pay for the dress and the accessories that go with it. I don’t even know how he found out what the right amount of galleons was.”

“Accessories?” Hermione was finally starting to listen to the conversation and picked out the one thing that interested her. The dress could be even more perfect. This mystery man had spent a lot of money on a very lucky woman.

“Yes, the shoes and a little purse. There are also some earrings and a necklace that go with it.” Ginny was looking at Eve in disbelieving shock.

“And how exactly do you know if the right woman shows up? It would be an awful lot of galleons wasted if someone else took it.” Eve smiled at Ginny with understanding while pulling out a little note.

“Yes, that would be a shame, but the gentleman gave me her name to verify that she is indeed the right woman. The note also has some magic to assure she is the right one,” Checking the name on the note she added “a Miss Hermione Granger.”

Ginny laughed at the look of surprise on Hermione’s face, “I guess now you are the lucky girl, Hermione.”

It had only taken moments for Hermione to try on the dress and realise that it was perfect. The dress was a strapless gown with a tight bodice covered in the thinnest layer of white lace, almost as if a spider had randomly crossed his web over it. The skirt was plain with a few lines sewn into it so as to accentuate the form. It was a curve hugging dress that fanned out from just below the knee. The shoes and purse that went with it were of a simple kind, both in a silvery colour to match the earrings and necklace, which both contained small diamonds. “Who and why would anyone spent so much money on me?” she thought as she twirled in front of Ginny and Eve, but at the same time she couldn’t stop smiling.

Stepping out of the store, she was still stunned to know that someone had bought it for her. Ginny couldn’t stop grinning either, “But who would…?”

“I don’t know Hermione, but it’s yours, and now we have to get these dresses back home. Besides, Harry is waiting for me.” That brought Hermione back to the present.

“Gin, you go home, and have a lovely last evening with Harry,” Ginny stared at her friend, not quite believing what she was hearing. Was Hermione giving her a last night alone with Harry?

“What about you? What are you going to do?”

“I told Albus I wanted to put our heads together again, over dinner this time,” Hermione gave a small smile when Ginny stared at her again, confused this time, “Just have fun. I’ll explain later.”

Hermione watched as Ginny carefully shrunk both dresses to fit in her pocket and apparated home. Then she slowly made her way up to the castle. Since it was the end of June, the castle was almost completely devoid of people, and as expected she didn’t see anyone until she arrived at Albus’ study. Walking to a room were dinner was waiting for them, Albus asked, “What did you need my head for this time? I know that you’re almost finished with that healing potion,” Hermione smiled, he hadn’t even greeted her yet.

“Evening Albus, and nothing special really.”

“Ah, if I remember correctly, that is what you said last time too.”




AN Of course we can all guess who bought that dress, but why is the big question. Please let me know what you think.

A huge thank you to my beta's Ceciel and Natoko.