Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

I Always Wondered If You Would by Miss

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Disclaimer: you know it, JKR owns it.


Chapter 9: Being Civil.




As he walked down the familiar steps to the dungeons and his private rooms, Severus was trying to figure out what exactly had happened moments before in the Entrance Hall. He had noticed that, “That woman,” he growled, had an effect on him and he hated everything that had any effect on him in any manner. But Hermione was even worse; she made him lose control like nobody ever could. She always made him feel like he was falling head first down the Astronomy Tower.

First, she would make him smile, enjoying having her around him. If Hermione was paying him attention, it was like looking at the stars on a particularly beautiful night, but when they reached the top of the tower she would push him over the edge. Having gathered enough height, she would drop his heart and it would plummet with their endless fighting.

Severus had wondered for the last four weeks how he had come to fall in love with Hermione. It was still a mystery. He had noticed her crush on him in the seventh year, observant as he was. He had even liked it that an intelligent girl like her could really see him, look past the exterior. But, how had this liking for the attention she gave him turned into love when they had hardly spoken to each other in the last six years since her finishing school?

Well he had to admit that he had followed her closely, he had even recommended her for the position at the Experimental Potions Department she held now. And then he had seen her a month ago in front of Eve’s, hearing her mutter about buying ingredients and dresses. He had seen the lavender dress she had been looking at, then pictured her in it and realised that she had become a woman. When he heard about the wedding, he had bought it for her….

He sighed, coming out of his reverie when he heard a knock on the door he had closed behind him only moments before. It had to be Albus. He had expected the old wizard to come after him.




Hermione slowly got up from the floor and followed Albus. He was walking back towards the castle. When they entered the Entrance Hall and she noticed that he was walking towards the dungeons, a knot tightened in her stomach. She hesitated.

“Albus, are you taking me down to the dungeons?” Hermione wasn’t sure whether she wanted to go down there, she didn’t know if she was up to another fight.

“Yes, I most certainly am.” The twinkle that had disappeared when Albus had found her crying was back and more pronounced than ever. “You are not the only one who has feelings in this matter.” He held the door to the dungeons open for her.

“Oh, I don’t doubt that Severus has feelings of loathing or disgust for me,” Hermione muttered. Albus turned around and looked at her questioningly. “Well, he does!” But did he? Hermione was starting to doubt herself, now that Albus was silently questioning her. Was it possible that the Potions Master didn’t dislike her, maybe even liked her? She put the thought away quickly as they arrived at Severus’ private rooms. Albus answered her question.

“No, I don’t think so, Hermione.”

She couldn’t help herself. “And what makes you think that?” Albus looked at her with another questioning look, this one a little stern. “I’m sorry,” she whispered, not meaning to sound so rude.

“I have known Severus for a long time, Hermione, and well, that dress makes me think that.” Hermione looked up sharply, but before she could ask him what he meant by that or anything else for that matter, he had knocked on the door and Severus opened it. Albus ushered her inside.




“Now listen, please, the both of you.” He looked at the two people in front of him. Severus was shocked and angry that Albus had brought Hermione down to his private rooms. Hermione, who had at least known that she would be seeing Severus, was a little more prepared and tried to think of a way to make this situation go away. She just didn’t see a way out, especially when Albus continued.

“Please listen, there is a lot going on between the two of you. No, Severus, please let me finish.”

Severus couldn’t believe Hermione was in his private rooms. He had hoped she would end up here at some time, but hopefully more willingly and he could see that all she wanted was to get away from him. He was brought back to reality by Albus’ next words.

“And I think that you should both be able to talk about this situation as adults. I’m going outside again because Harry and Ginny will soon be leaving. No, Hermione, you are staying here, they know where you are and why, they understand better than you think. Now, I don’t want to see either of you again until you can be civilised with each other again.” The old wizard gave them one last look that told both Hermione and Snape how serious he was about this situation. Then his smile returned. “Have a nice evening, then.” With that, he left.

Stunned at the, well, lecture Albus had just given them, they looked at each other. They were both feeling ashamed. A feeling like they had been acting as children all day long, when they were supposed to be adults. Maybe they had been. Finally, Hermione sat down and not wanting to look at Severus, she looked around his rooms. She focused her attention on the books on his shelves.

Severus, in the meantime, had walked over to the cupboard where he kept some of his stronger liquors, wanting to drown out her presence if she could not physically leave. Even before he poured himself some brandy he knew his attempt would be futile. Instead he turned around, “Anything you would like to drink?” ‘Maybe some Chinese Jasmine Tea?’ he thought to himself, smiling reluctantly that he knew this little fact about her.

“I don’t expect you have any tea in that cupboard, do you?” Hermione needed the warmth to ward off the cold she felt from being in the dungeons, although the heat of being alone with Severus was already doing a good job of that.

“Not unless you want some Firewhiskey in it.”

“Sure, why not.” Severus raised an eyebrow but turned again. Preparing the drinks for both of them, he thought that this evening might become interesting after all.

Returning with her tea, he sat down opposite from her, his face impassive again. This time they were looking at each other directly. “So what, exactly, are you doing here?” That cold voice never left him but this time, seeing her before him more beautiful than ever, he needed everything Slytherin in him to keep it there. He got the effect he was after though. Her eyes were ablaze again and he could feel the heat radiating from her.

“If you had noticed who was here earlier, you might have realised that Albus brought me here. He practically dragged me along, I certainly did not volunteer!” She shivered again, both from the cold of the dungeons and the look that he was giving her. ‘Was that a smile she saw in his eyes?

The shivers were nothing compared to what came next. She was completely surprised by the feeling of instant heat she felt when he handed her a blanket against the cold, and their fingers touched briefly. Wondering why he had been kind enough to give her the blanket in the first place, she thought that this evening might become interesting after all.

“I think I have realised a lot more than you can imagine, Miss Granger.” She wanted to seem disinterested but for some reason she wasn’t able to tear herself away from his gaze. She also noticed the change in his voice. It was less cold and sounded more reluctant about what he was going to tell her. It made Hermione curious, what had Severus realised?

Finally, “I remember a Potions class in your NEWT year when we were brewing a certain morphing potion.”

“The Polyjuice Potion,” she had said it before she could even stop herself. Her heart plummeted. He, Severus Snape, her Potions Professor, had known all along. Hermione knew exactly what he was talking about, knew exactly what had happened during that class. It was the moment she had noticed him, noticed Severus and not Professor Snape; it was the day this had all started. “How did you know?” Hermione wasn’t sure she wanted to hear the answer and finally she was able to break their eye contact, her cheeks crimson again. Severus just laughed.




AN: Don't kill me for leaving you with another cliff-hanger. I personally love them, just so I can speculate on what will happen next. There is only one more chapter after this, so then you'll know everything.

Thanks Hells, nobody does it as good and quick as you, beta reading that is.