Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Transfiguration Is Not Easy by Buckbeak22

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
The corridors were dimly lit and a small black mouse could not be seen running along in the shadows. Parvati noticed lots of escape routes in case of cats, and other mice that might take exception to her, and she sniffed as she ran. It was not difficult to find Snape. He was at the end of a corridor in the opposite wing.

It was obvious that he was not expected to escape; the door was open. A couple of Death Eaters sat playing Wizard Cards at the table opposite, and drinking firewhisky and sloe gin. Every time the cards let out a jinx, there would be raucous laughter.

Parvati slipped through the door with no trouble, and found herself with Snape. His eyes were closed and his breathing labored. One of his wrists was manacled to the walls, so that his body hung from his wrist and he could not get comfortable if he tried. Blood was sticky around this wrist, and she could see the strain of the iron cutting into his flesh. She would not be able to gnaw through the manacles; they would need to use magic. Always assuming they were able to get that far. Parvati saw his lips were cracked and covered in dried blood, and his hair more greasy than ever. To her tiny eyes, his very pores were huge, and his long nose needed cleaning. Beyond the stench of decay, bodily scents and misery, ran another, more familiar scent. Snape had never given off a particularly nice smell – his was impatient and frustrated. This was familiar.

She ran over Snape’s recumbent form to investigate and stopped in surprise. He was not alone. There was a form there in a black hood. When the other person saw Parvati, there was hiss of indrawn breath, and the Death Eater flipped at her with a book. Parvati dodged, and hid in a fold of Snape’s robe, where she looked out, whiskers twitching. The Death Eater looked for the mouse for a while, and one of her hands slid past Parvati’s view. It was a woman. The hand was ringless, but the nails were trimmed and slender. Parvati believed in coincidence, and held her breath. The face was covered, but unless she was mistaken, this was Draco’s sister. For a wild moment from the smell, she had thought it Draco himself.

She watched from her hiding place as the girl crouched, listening, and then lent over the injured man, whispering a warming spell and touching various points of his body with her wand. It was obviously some sort of spell to try and comfort the sleeping man’s various ills.

Once the chatter of the guards stopped, and the Death Eater girl shrank back into the shadows against the walls. A guard looked in, and shone a light into Snape’s face. Had he looked over toward the wall, he would have seen the dark figure crouched there, but he didn’t. In a minute he had gone outside and the guards resumed their play.

The girl waited a minute, and Parvati bit her lip and wondered. All Dumbledore and Draco’s warnings pounded in her rather large ears. At last, however, her natural impulsiveness came into play, and she made the most human noise that she could in little more than a breath.

The girl spun around, her wand held out, clutching the wand, but still careful not to make a sound. Parvati groaned again, and Lilah looked down to where the voice had come from, puzzled. It sounded as if Snape had moaned yet his head was in full view, and his mouth had not opened. The sound was very high too, and did not sound like a man.

“Who is there?” The whisper could hardly be heard, but Parvati needed to know if her hunch was correct before she showed herself. The girl bent her head over Snape and some of her hair swung from her hood. Platinum blond. Parvati took a deep breath and ran out of Snape’s sleeve into full view.

It was quite hard. All her mouse instincts required that she remain hidden. The girl raised her hand as if to shoo the mouse away, but she then dropped it, and stared harder. Anybody else would have told her not to, but Parvati only smelled kindness and fear. She transformed. “I think He Who Must Not Be Named knows you are here,” she whispered.

The girl was well trained. She didn’t move a muscle. Parvati raised her head and found herself looking into a face so like Draco’s she could only stare. The eyes were frozen blue instead of gray. A very Nordic looking Ice Princess. Parvati carried on, “Draco is here. Your father and mother are arriving tonight. He Who Must Not Be Named mentioned a family reunion. Now I think he must know you are here too. It would suit his sense of humour to gather you all.”

Lilah looked at her. “How do you know who I am?” she asked. “How can Draco be here? He is at Hogwarts.” But she had been a fraction too loud. One of the guards got heavily up from the table, and came towards the door. They could hear him say, “That prisoner is frisky tonight. Muttering to himself.”

Lilah and Parvati slipped like one shadow behind the door as it was opened a fraction wider, and an empty bottle was thrown at Snape’s head. He gave a moan as it hit him on the shoulder, and turned his head away. “Shaddup!” growled the guard, and went back to his card game.

Lilah made up her mind, and beckoning Parvati, looked as if she were going to walk out of the room. Parvati dwindled into a mouse again. She didn’t think she had the courage to just walk out. Lilah held out a hand to her, and she jumped up into it before Lilah slipped out of the room as the guards turned back to their game. Keeping in the shadows, she walked down the corridors, and into another room. Parvati had her heart in her mouth the whole time. She didn’t know how Lilah could be so brave. Once in the room, Lilah shut the door and put Parvati on her bedside table.

“We can talk in here. It is secured.”

Parvati transformed, but whispered anyway. “Draco is here. And your father and his mother are arriving tonight. I thought you should be warned, as Draco and I suspected that You Know Who might know you are here.”

Lilah put back her hood to reveal a face that was startlingly beautiful, yet pale as death. “How did Draco know I was here?”

Parvati told the truth. “He doesn’t. We suspected that you might be. You are missing from the Auror group, and they are looking for you.”

Lilah looked up quickly. “Oh, they know where I am alright. They may not have told everybody, but I am in contact with outside forces.” Parvati was puzzled. She had thought Dumbledore at least would rate full information.

“That isn’t what we heard.” She said stubbornly. “We were told that you were missing and that they were searching for you. They found out that you were enlisted under an unregistered name, and it was causing some concern at the Ministry.”

“Who are you, and how do you know who I am?” Lilah still looked anxious, and in shock. Parvati took a deep breath. It certainly looked as if Lilah had been helping Professor Snape. She smelled safe.

Parvati gulped, and said, “I am Parvati Patil. Dumbledore sent us to try to rescue Snape.” Now that she had seen Snape, she knew that would sound ridiculous to Lilah, especially as she and Draco had not formulated a plan for getting Snape out of there.

Lilah sat down on her bed. “If you were counting on using your animagus status as anonymity, you have been mistaken. He will know you are here. He does know I am. I am supposed to be working for him. He has a map with everybody’s name on it.”

Parvati, who had been warned about the Marauder’s Map by Harry, and knew that Voldemort would have one the same, smiled. “I have taken an anti-screening potion,” she admitted. “I am untraceable.”

Lilah shook her head. “No such potion exists,” she pointed out. The Aurors have been working on one for years, and haven’t come up with one.” Parvati smiled again.

“We have a very good Potions Master, late of Hogwarts, who can do truly incredible things with Potions.” And she had found the ingredients in his handwriting in the book he had given her for detention, with instructions on how to make it up. Hermione had made it for her, and she carried the phial around with her constantly. Harry had tested it on his old Marauders Map, and it had worked.

“How do you get in to see Snape without being seen?” Parvati asked curiously.

Lilah shrugged. “He is in his strategy meeting with the older and more experienced Death Eaters at that time. I take a risk, and hope that he is taken up with battle plans. I can’t stand to see Professor Snape in so much pain. He is a great Potions Master. I have read some of his papers.”

Parvati felt more and more admiring. Lilah obviously had courage in spades.

Now she considered. “I think you should get out as soon as possible. And Snape. We have to get him out too. Draco mustn’t come near you – You Know Who would be bound to see. And I have to get back to Draco soon. He is sleeping right now, in preparation for this evening. He finds the constant Occlumency required to be too strenuous right now. Dumbledore said it would grow easier.”

Lilah sighed and looked around. “Not to be too suspicious,” she said quietly, “But all I have is the word of a black mouse that my brother is in the castle. And if I know my father, Draco would be one of the Dark Lord’s strongest supporters by now. And I have never heard of you.”

Parvati looked over at her in despair. “I don’t care whose word it is, you need to get out if you possibly can,” she said. "If you can get to near an entrance with me, I have an invisibility cloak I can trade for yours and then you can take some of my potion. You Know Who will think you have left the castle, and then you can escape.”

Lilah started to look stubborn. “Then who will help you?” She gestured around. “I know all these passageways like the back of my hand. How much of that potion have you got?”

Parvati considered her. “Enough for a long stay. We will need to leave sooner if we are both taking it – or maybe I could send for another bottle somehow.”

Lilah looked at her. “Give it to me,” she said. “I will do most of what you ask. I will go to an entrance. I will then put on the Invisibility cloak without being seen, and take some of that stuff, and go back inside. Then nobody will know I am inside, unless You Know Who sees me himself. Most of these wizards are not able to see through clear plastic, let alone an invisibility cloak.”

Parvati drew a deep breath, and took off the cloak she was wearing, showing Lilah how to use it, and put on Lilah’s instead. Lilah rinsed out an old scent bottle, and, careful not to get any on her skin, emptied a bit of Parvati’s potion into it.

“I will meet you back here later, and take you to Draco,” Parvati promised. “I have to get back now before he wakes up to fill him in on the details. Good luck!” After she had finished, Parvati dwindled again into a mouse.

Lilah put on the robe, and watched Parvati run under the door. She was still troubled. Martin was supposed to meet her and extricate her yesterday. She knew it was a secret mission, but still – it was worrying that nobody seemed to have been able to tell Dumbledore where she was. Her orders were to stay put unless everything failed, and it seemed that plans were failing, but it was suspicious that she had not had any contact. If something had happened to Martin, she should have heard by now.

She sat on the edge of the bed. Perhaps it would be best that she did as the mouse – what was her name - Parvati? – said. She would still know Martin if he did turn up even if she were under an Invisibility cloak. Meanwhile she could watch and see if her father did appear. He was supposed to be so heavily guarded in Azkaban that he could not escape. And if her brother really was here, he would not be able to find her if she used the Invisibility cloak. She began to tremble.

As Parvati entered the bedroom, Draco began to stir. She ran up his leg, and changed back, sitting beside him. He groaned, and sat up reproachfully.

“Parvati, you slipped me a sleeping draught!”

Parvati hung her head. “I know. I could feel how tired you were, and you really needed the rest. You are going to have to be on top form tonight.” Quickly she filled him in on all the details of her trip.

Draco could not believe it. Dumbledore had assured him Parvati would be fine. Parvati had promised not to talk to anybody unless it was a dire emergency. Between them, they had not listened to him, and this was the result. He held his aching head in his hands as he took in the fact that she had told someone her name, given them her invisibility cloak, (airily assuming that this Death Eater girl was on the same side) and showed them that she was an animagus.

“How could you be sure it was Lilah?” he asked hopelessly. Parvati shrugged. “She looked exactly like you. Like the photo. And she smelled like you only even nicer. Like she was habitually kind to animals.”

Draco sighed and walked over to his sink, washing his face in hot water. He was so afraid he felt shaky. But he would not run. He was done running. Parvati was there, and she had been skipping around the castle gathering information while he slept. Some hero.

“Well, it is done now,” he said. “But next time, don’t tell a person who they are – wait until they volunteer the information.” He dressed in black, and put on his robes, still feeling sick. “Well, it must be nearly show time. Let us go and find Goyle and see what we are supposed to do.” He gave her a long kiss, before she shrank and flew to his shoulder, and Draco slipped out of his room.

Goyle was easy to find – they simply explored until they found the main dining hall, and he was there with Crabbe. Draco acted as if he was glad to see them both, and they had a couple of butterbeers together. Draco found that it was very simple to get them to act towards him as they always had done – with the added fillip of the rumour that You Know Who obviously considered him a cut above the other Death Eaters, so he was obviously worth knowing and cultivating.

It was nearing evening, and the dining hall was filling up with customers, when the sudden exclamation went around that somebody was missing, and that You Know Who was furious. The fright in the dining hall was almost tangible. Draco nearly brought up his dinner, but before he could work himself up, he found himself summoned into the presence. The action calmed him a little.

Voldemort was striding the length of his platform, furious. Death Eaters cowered before him. A couple of them lay groaning on the floor. He turned on Draco as he approached, and Draco flinched. Parvati flapped off to sit on her perch.

“It looks like your sister will not be joining us tonight!” Voldemort hissed. “These imbeciles seem to have let her go. We are having the forest searched.”

Draco kept his face stiff. “My Lord, as you well know, I have no sister. If you are referring to …”

His voice tailed away, as Voldemort, enraged shouted “Silence! You will not contradict me! Crucio!”

The command shot through Draco. He had never felt such pain, even when his father had been at his worst. He was unable to think, but just endured, writhing on the ground, screaming until Voldemort saw fit to let him up. Voldemort was laughing now, his rage somewhat appeased. He gave him another burst of the curse as nearby Death Eaters laughed, fear in their hearts – it could be one of them next. Parvati sat on her perch, trying not to look. A raven can’t do much – certainly not cry, but inside she raged bitterly.

Draco dragged himself upright from his fetal position only when he was sure Voldemort was finished, and one of the Death Eaters handed him a bucket into which he vomited copiously. It was obviously something they all did, if they had buckets on hand. Draco felt himself surreptitiously, but he had not wet himself, as he had feared. Shakily, he got up onto his feet, stirring some surprised mutterings from people who obviously thought they were going to have to drag him out.

He bowed to Voldemort, who was staring at him, his eyes red enraged slits. When he spoke, his voice was husky from the screaming. “My lord, my master, I apologize humbly.” He fell on his knees before Voldemort, and lowered his face to the floor. To be honest, it was not simple homage, although it looked like it – his legs simply would not support him, and he thought he might faint.

Voldemort’s voice was venomously silky. “Do not contradict me again my boy. I have a test for you this evening. You will not fail me. You may leave.” It was obviously a threat, but Draco was too weak now to think about it. He crawled backwards until he could stand and exit the room. Parvati sailed to sit on his shoulder.

Goyle was waiting outside with a cup of tea. He looked sympathetic. “We all been through it you know,” he offered, as Draco drank the tea, for once in his life truly grateful to Goyle. “He must like you though, he gave you a specially hard one. Can’t believe you’re still standing.” That, thought Draco was a matter of opinion. In reality he was braced against the wall with his legs locked so that he didn’t fall over. Still shaking, Draco sipped the hot tea. He wanted, more than anything, to leave. Or give in. Give in, and do what Voldemort said, whatever he wanted. It was safer.

Gradually, he became aware of the raven pressing against his neck, giving him as much comfort as she was capable of. Parvati. He still had Parvati. He was not on his own. He could get through this. She could get through this. For the first time, he saw what Dumbledore had meant. He had always done as his father wanted, turning off his own brain, and doing whatever was required of him so that he would not be beaten. He was glad he had Parvati with him. With her there, he had more courage.


Lilah, standing just outside the door to Voldemort’s room, saw Draco come out, and her heart nearly burst with pride. This was her little brother - a man now, and taller than her. He looked pale, as one would after that exhibition she heard, but he was still standing. He was handsome too – and that raven! What an affectation! She wondered where his little mouse friend was, and if she had told him she was there. Now, however, she tiptoed away after a particularly tall guard. The bright lights cast a bit of a shadow, even with the Invisibility cloak.


Draco rested for about an hour, in his room, with Parvati cuddled against him, trying to give him as much comfort as her body allowed, after which he was called back for another audience with Voldemort. This time he went a good deal wiser, and more on guard. Voldemort was everything Harry Potter had ever said. He was dangerous, and Draco was not to be lulled into a false sense of security again with tea and small talk. He had a feeling that something awful was going to happen. He knew his father could persuade his mother to do anything before he went to Azkaban, but as to bringing her to see Voldemort after this last summer -! He did not think his father was going to be able to bring her, and then Voldemort would be livid.

Draco’s father stood next to Voldemort, on the platform and was obviously pleased to see him as he entered. The prodigal son, following in his father’s footsteps. There was no sign of his mother. Draco was slightly relieved. Voldemort did not seem to be upset about it. Parvati flapped to her perch, and Draco walked up to join his father, who put his hand on Draco’s shoulder, with a good grip. They were not given a chance to speak however, before Narcissa and Peter were dragged in.

It was lucky that Draco had had some warning otherwise he may have been overpowered. Lucius Malfoy’s mouth dropped open in shock, as Voldemort watched, sadistically amused. Narcissa’s mouth was bleeding, and her hair, usually so neat and smooth, hung down her back lopsided, pulled down from the usual neat French knot. Her skin was paper white, so the general effect was one of colourlessness, from which her dark blue eyes burned huge and frightened, and the blood looked garish. She still looked beautiful. She was wearing Muggle clothes, with slim heels on her slender feet, one of which had snapped off, so that she stumbled along, falling twice.

Voldemort turned to Lucius. “Your wife. Lending assistance to the Aurors. Inviting them to dinner. Trying to get them to seduce your own son away from the career you had chosen for him.”

Draco said, in well-simulated shock “I thought they were there as guards. I didn’t think she was friendly with them.” His brain was working overtime. He could take a few of them – but after that they would all be dead. He needed to get a wand to Peter -

Voldemort looked over at him, a gaze that seared his skin with its iciness. “We realize that. We have had in-depth reports from the Malfoy Manor.” Now Draco was really in shock. If they had in–depth reports, wouldn’t they have realized that he had been friendly with Peter too? It seemed not.

Voldemort made an imperious gesture. “Martin, David!” The Death Eaters pulled Narcissa and Peter over in front of Voldemort. Draco couldn’t help looking at Peter, but Peter did not meet his eyes. He looked as if he had been pretty badly beaten up before he had been taken prisoner. His robes were cut and soaked with blood at the back, where it looked as if he had been stabbed and his face was almost unrecognizable under it’s layer of dried blood and bruises, yet he was still standing upright, and helping Narcissa whenever he was permitted. Draco wanted badly to rush over and loose him, but he seemed to be rooted to the spot. If he did anything stupid now, Professor Snape and all his information would vanish, he would die, and so might Parvati. It came to him blindingly then, that all he was now was because of Peter. Peter had been the father figure he had always wanted, and never had. All those long talks they had in the Malfoy Manor came back to haunt him.

Voldemort smiled, and gave Lucius a wand. “Put an end to the Auror for us,” he said. “He should not have lived anyway. He is half Muggle and blood brother to your own wife. This is why she betrays you.” Lucius lifted the wand. He looked anguished and bitter and enraged at the same time, a man condemned beyond his strength to do something he must. He had not known of Peter before, but would never doubt the word of his lord and master. He hated Peter instantly, as was evident in his snarl, which was almost feral. The anguish was for his wife. He knew she would be the next victim.

Draco lunged forward as his father raised his wand. He had to get hold of a wand. Instantly he was caught and held. He struggled but he was held securely. There was nothing he could do. He had a horrible vision of what was to come next. He looked over at Peter, and Peter caught and held his eyes. Peter knew there was nothing he could do, but he did not know why Draco was standing with Voldemort. He probably thought that all his advice had been wasted, and that he had joined the Death Eaters. Draco, straining against his captors, tried to tell Peter what he was there for with his eyes. At that moment, as they were holding eyes, the green flash from his father’s curse hit Peter full in the chest, and he crumpled at the knees, and fell. He died believing that all he had taught Draco had been rejected.

Draco felt as if part of him had died too. Slowly his eyes moved to the Death Eater who had been holding Peter. It was the Auror Martin, who had carried his bags into the house that first day. If Martin had not any information about Draco, then Peter must have mistrusted him, and protected Draco. Draco looked at him long and hard. He would not forget that face in a hurry.

Draco was ready when Voldemort turned to him, with a truly evil smile. He expected to be blasted, and chills ran down his spine, but Voldemort was smiling thinly, and holding out Draco’s wand to him. “I have to let your father perform some of the chores himself, young fire eater!” Slowly it dawned on Draco as he moved forward, almost as if sleepwalking, that everyone had thought he was lunging at Peter, not to him. Most of the older Death Eaters were laughing at him in an approving kind of way, and even Lucius, though he surely knew what was to come next, looked bitterly proud.

Draco took the wand from Voldemort, and looked at it, puzzled, still not understanding. Voldemort smiled again, thinly. “Now is your chance to show how much you love your lord! You can dispose of your mother. Too cruel to ask your father, don’t you think?” Draco stared at Voldemort. It seemed like a bad dream. If Voldemort had tried occulmency on him then and there, there would have been nothing to see - Draco's brain had not yet started to function.

As if in a dream, he slowly he turned towards his mother, his wand out, his brain trying to work, but frozen in horror. He would have to kill her captor, and hope that she could grab her wand. With Parvati there, that would make three of them… Before he could open his mouth, his mother took matters into her own hands, and showing unexpected strength, she darted forward, taking her captor by surprise, snatched the wand Martin was holding, and looking at Draco, pointed the wand at herself and shouted the Killing curse. There was a blinding crash, and Voldemort gave a high-pitched scream. Draco himself was thrown backward by the blast, and Lucius gave a cry and plunged forward.

Draco saw in that moment that however much he had not been able to show it, his father had loved his mother very much. And although Draco had doubted it, and been unable to accept any love from her, she had loved her son. She had performed the greatest sacrifice for him, and taken her own life. Soft, silly Narcissa had not been a good mother or wife but in her moment of death, the weak, but loving woman had become strong. Her last act of love and protection had wounded Voldemort. He lay gasping in his chair with the two bodies sprawled on the floor before him.

People stood transfixed. The scene had been so odd. They were used to prisoners being terminated, but Voldemort was not usually overcome by it. As they stood, a black dog approached. For an insane moment, still in shock, Draco thought it was Parvati. But she still stood on her perch. The dog walked up slowly and surely through the assembled Death Eaters, who made way for him. One shouted “The Grim, The Grim!” and there was a panic to get further away. Another Death Eater uttered a curse, and sent a flash of blinding green light right through the dog, but he acted as if he hadn’t noticed and kept walking to where Lucius bent over the fallen figure of Narcissa. Lucius looked up, gasped “Sirius!” and backed away.

The great dog seemed to pick a figure of Narcissa up out of the broken figure lying on the floor. Her hair was smooth, the blood was gone from her mouth, her cheeks had a touch of peach-pink and they seemed warm. One could almost swear she was breathing. It was as if she had lain down and gone to sleep in the jaws of the great hound. The dog walked out of the hall through one of the walls, as steadily and silently as he had come. Voldemort watched, sneering, his long fingered white hand still on his chest, but did not try to stop him. Draco remembered the huge black dog he had seen on platform 9 ž a long time ago, and wondered if his father had indeed been right, and that was Sirius, or if that had been the Grim.

Voldemort finally got to his feet, and motioned to the fallen victims. “Take them away.” He stared over at Draco, who lifted his shoulders in an elegant shrug.

“Well, I guess she did my work for me,” Draco said in a cool sneer. “Unexpected too – I did not think she would have the guts to do that.” His voice sounded very cool and very composed. Even an observant person would not have credited him with any emotion. It sent a chill down Parvati’s back to hear him.

When the attack came, it was from Lucius, not Voldemort. Draco was struck down from behind with the Cruciatus Curse, as hard and fast as his father could send it. It was Voldemort who intervened to break the curse, but not before Draco had suffered a while. Parvati, watching, thought it seemed as if Voldemort did not care one way or the other if Draco suffered. She hurt in silence, unable to do anything but watch, as her Draco lay writhing on the ground in agony.

As Draco lay gasping on the ground, he heard Voldemort’s voice as smooth as ice, “Really Lucius! Are you avenging your wife, or protesting your son’s insolence?”

Lucius’s voice came, strangled with emotion. “He is rude to you…”

Voldemort cut in “And he feels no natural affection for his mother. I like that. I like that a lot. I do not think you should harm the boy, Lucius. He shows great potential. If you had been as ready to fight for me I would have been in power much sooner. You show too much attachment to your wife, Lucius. You think you can hide it from me, but I can see through you.”

Draco rose to his feet, retching, and Goyle ran to support him. Voldemort strode over to Draco and lifted his head with his wand, but turned to talk to Lucius. “He favours you Lucius. But there is no sign of weakness in this face. Which brings me to your daughter.” Draco saw his father, receive almost one shock too many, as his now white lips mouthed “Lilah?” Draco’s head fell, as Voldemort removed his wand suddenly and furiously.

Voldemort turned, dangerous, his slit-like eyes flickering over the faces of the Death Eaters assembled in the room. “She escaped. How she managed is not yet known, but she will be found, or I will feed the griffins well tomorrow.”

There was an assembled moan of fear, which Draco did not hear. He looked over at Parvati. She was sitting on her perch, near in feet, but it could have been over a thousand miles. He couldn’t even see her eyes properly – they were black, and beady, as a raven’s are. He needed her more than he could say. He really needed her. He wasn’t even thinking of Voldemort’s last words, didn’t even remember Lilah. All he could see were the forms of Peter and his mother lying on the floor, all life vanished, and all he could think of was Parvati, her warmth and vitality, and how much his abused body hurt.

He stood up straight, gingerly, and took his arm from Goyle’s. His stomach had never been so assaulted. He felt bruised and battered all over. He had been taught about the Cruciatus Curse, but had not even begun to imagine how it might feel. Now he had received it twice in such quick succession, he knew how it could send people mad. He pulled himself together, gave a sneering smile, and turned to Goyle, who had just begun a rather uncertain smile back, when Voldemort turned to Draco, making Goyle flinch backwards in fear.

“You may go. I will need to talk to your father. You can find him tomorrow if you wish to converse.” Draco bowed low, and walked away, noticing his father begin to back and cower and cringe, as Voldemort turned to him once more. Parvati flapped to sit on his shoulder, and Draco had to force himself to keep his hand down – he wanted so much to grab her. He could feel from her claws cutting into him, and the way her feathers trembled against his neck that she felt the same way.

Draco had one more ordeal to go through before he could escape to his room. Crabbe and Goyle wanted to stand him yet another butterbeer. He thought it better to stay with them, and not give rise to gossip by running to his room straightaway. It would be far better to be seen laughing and drinking in the dining hall. It would lend more authenticity to his character. Let him act a while longer, before he rested. He acted well, though he needn’t have worried so much – Crabbe and Goyle were not observant companions. A few snide remarks, a joke or two at another Death Eater’s expense, and they were satisfied.

At one point Draco asked them something to which Parvati saw them shrugging, and he left them to go into the kitchens, where he was seen in earnest conversation with one of the house elves. He came back with a bagful of birdseed. A couple of hours and some rather drab and watery Shepherd’s Pie (which Parvati refused, though he came over to the birds section and offered her a spoonful) later, Draco sought refuge.

He entered his room, and leant back against the door, throwing the birdseed down onto the bedside table. He closed his eyes for a brief second. Parvati flapped to sit on the bed, and Draco looked at her. “Parv, I need you to hold me.” That he asked showed hope for his future. That he had, showed how deeply he was affected.

Parvati immediately transformed, and leapt forward to take him in her arms. She had watched him throughout the evening, been tortured by his pain, and now couldn’t imagine what he was going through. She had almost been frightened by his self-control. It was the first time he had asked her for anything, and she saw that he had let down nearly all his barriers for her.

Draco buried his face in her neck and clung to her, shaking. Dumbledore had been right. He needed her. What would he have felt if he had been on his own? Could he have remained sane? He kissed her neck and jaw line passionately, holding her tightly to him. He nibbled on the tender lobe of her ear, teasing the earring lightly with his teeth. He knew he shouldn’t, and wouldn’t when it actually came to it, but he wanted her very badly. He supposed sex would be a wonderful relief from tension, but he was not going to use Parvati in that way. He was sick of people being used. He wanted their first time to be special, not with him blindly trying to forget.

Parvati sensed the quiet desperation, as he gently bit along her jaw, making her bones melt, and pulled his head away, so that she could look deep into his eyes and see the agony there, before she kissed him hard and furiously, until his head swam. She flung herself backwards down onto the bed, and pulled him down on top of her, kissing him wildly, but he found his control, and stopped her as her hands slipped down inside his robes, and held them, looking down into her eyes. “No, Parvati. Not now. Not just for me. Let it happen for both of us another time. I can’t mix what should be a wonderful experience with what happened today. I want it to be perfect.”

He saw the glimmer of tears in her eyes, and pulled her into a sitting position with her head on his chest, resting his chin on her hair. Little tremors still ran through her, and he was amazed that kissing him could do that to her. Not right now, but when they came together, he knew that she would be all wildcat. Her reactions to him were almost untamed in their intensity. Now however she sobbed into his chest, crying as he couldn’t, albeit silently. “I can’t bear this happening to you.”

He didn’t know how he could either. It would be a long time before the horrors of the evening faded. It would almost have seemed better in a darker setting. The garish colours of the red carpet and yellow walls lit brightly seemed to make the scene more of a travesty. As Parvati cried for him, Draco rocked her, the rocking motion comforting him, almost as much as her tears. He could not cry for himself, so it was a relief to have her cry for him.

They sat together a long time until there was a rap at the door. Both froze in position, and then Parvati quickly transformed into a raven, and flapped to sit on the edge of the bed. A blessing that a raven would not show up her red eyes.

Draco went to the door and opened it. There was nobody outside, but a breeze, and he felt a light waft of air on his arm as someone passed him, and he remembered Lilah. Lilah was in the room. He closed the door, and looked to where he thought she might be. “You can take the cloak off now. I thought the arrangement was that we would come to you.”

Lilah dropped the hood of the cloak, letting her glorious hair swing out free. She looked at him. “It was too dangerous. My corridor has been blocked. They are sweeping my room for clues.” She gazed at him searchingly a moment longer, and then was in his arms. “Draco! My Draco! I missed you so much!” He stroked her back comfortingly.

“Lilah. I always hoped I would see you again.”

Her eyes were shining, as she drew back to admire him again. “You are so tall and handsome! Peter got me some photos of you, but it is so much better to see you in person!” She noticed he had turned almost deathly white.

“It is alright now. Peter couldn’t tell you where I was, or who I was. But he sent me some photos of you. He liked you very much, and thought a lot of you, although he pretended that you were enemies to keep you as safe as he could. We were under orders from the Ministry not to tell you anything though. Now I know we are working on the same side, it won’t matter.”

Draco stammered, “You know Peter? Peter Drake?” He staggered over to the chair as if he had been felled, and sat, his head nearly on his knees. His sight was blurring, and he felt as if he had sustained too many shocks already today. Parvati noticed in horror that his face was now a greenish white.

Lilah could see that there was something badly wrong. “Peter is my husband,” she whispered, her face growing pale.

Draco, unable to speak, turned to Parvati, who transformed, and went to slip an arm around Lilah. “You had better sit down,” she said comfortingly. Lilah did not move. Her feet were rooted to the spot and her face looked ashy, and her lips bloodless. “Something is wrong,” she said, her voice hardly more than a whisper. “Something is wrong. What do you know? What is happening? What are you hiding from me?” Her voice had risen too much in her panic. She made an effort, and dropped it.

Draco shook his head soundlessly. He couldn’t speak. He looked at Parvati. She looked sick too. She had never had to give bad news before, but now she thought it was probably better to give the news all at once. She gripped Lilah’s shoulders hard. “It is the worst kind of news,” she said. “Peter Drake was killed today, on Voldemort’s orders, by Lucius Malfoy. Narcissa Malfoy was to be terminated too, but she took her own life.”

Lilah stayed where she was, but her hands moved up to cover her face. She rocked, keeping back the tears and sobs that were threatening to overcome her. Her perfect quiet rather unnerved Parvati, who could feel the shudders running through her, and knew they were valiant attempts to keep emotion at bay. ‘What happened to these two?’ she wondered. ‘They are unable to cry – it isn’t because she is trying to be quiet, it is because she cannot cry. She cannot give herself that relief. I don’t see how she is able to keep it in.’ She kept her arms around the older girl, and Draco recovered enough to pour some water into a glass, knowing it was useless as far as comfort went, but unable to think of anything else to do. Eventually Lilah stopped shaking so badly, and turned her head into Parvati’s neck. Parvati stroked her hair for a long while. When she looked up, she reminded Parvati of Draco. She had not shed a tear, but her eyes were fiercely bright. She was one of the most beautiful people Parvati had ever seen. Lilah spoke through clenched teeth, not wanting her voice to shake.

“Tell me the whole story.” Parvati led her to the chair, and sat her down in it. She did not think Lilah would be able to stand while hearing the news.

Draco knelt down in front of her, and took one of her hands, and told the story as best as he could. When he mentioned seeing the Auror Martin, her nostrils flared. She spoke in a low voice. “I am going to kill Martin.” Her words hung in the air, and then she tried to smile. It was a pitiful attempt. “I was working with Martin. Peter and Martin were supposed to be guarding Narcissa, and looking out for you. I made Peter promise to do that assignment for me when I got seconded to Voldemort’s stronghold as an assistant griffin keeper. Before then, I had managed to stay near, so that I could watch over you all. I was very worried that you would become a Death Eater. Peter told me he thought you were reconsidering. Martin used to carry messages between us. That must be how Voldemort knew that Narcissa and Peter were friendly. It must have been a great struggle to capture them. Peter was a very strong Auror.”

Draco asked, hesitantly, and rather hopelessly, “Are you sure it is the same Peter? He was rather a lot older than you.”

Lilah gave him a bittersweet smile. “He is a lot older. I mean, was. Seventeen years older. You see, when Dad threw me out, I knew nothing. I had nothing, and I did not know how to cope in the world. I was a poor little rich girl who had never had to fend for herself. Peter found me that first night, walking through London to keep warm, wondering how to get to my boyfriend’s – I did not know how to Apparate, and had no idea of how to negotiate Muggle London. He took me there on the Knight Bus, stayed long enough with me to find that my boyfriend actually had another girlfriend, and did not want me around, and then he took me to his place. It was all very proper, and he was so kind. He basically made my life wonderful. I saw him as the father figure I had never really had, and then I fell very much in love with him. He was so gentle and wonderful. It took me over five years before I could convince him that I loved him, and another year before I could convince him to marry me, and all that time he never laid a hand on me. He probably never would have married me if I hadn’t forced the issue. He said he was too old, and I needed somebody younger.” She was silent, remembering, her eyes luminous.

Parvati had tears streaming down her face, and was in desperate need of a handkerchief, but Lilah herself stayed dry eyed. She was still in shock, trembling every so often. Her hands in Draco’s were like ice. Parvati pulled the blanket off the bed, and wrapped her in it. She got up and made coffee the muggle way, just in case anyone was watching their room for magic, and added lots of sugar to Lilah’s cup. Lilah drank, shivering, until she had managed to control her shaking enough to ask, “Where did they put him?”

Draco shook his head. “I do not know. Voldemort just ordered him removed.”

Lilah clenched her teeth. “I would have liked to have had his wedding ring back. We wear them on chains around our neck. I wonder if they had him taken to the tombs? I want to see him again.” She strode towards the door. Draco gave Parvati a rather panicked look. It was obvious that in her present condition, Lilah should not be going anywhere.

Parvati thought of the state in which she had last seen Peter, and shook her head. “I don’t think you should go. I think you should remember him as you last saw him. He had some bruising.” She caught Lilah by the shoulders before she could turn the door handle. Lilah drooped, but Parvati turned her gently around. “He wasn’t the handsome man you remember Lilah,” she said gently. “Why not remember him as he was? Why put yourself through this?”

Lilah nodded once, but her face looked more tragic than Parvati could have believed possible. At last her eyelids began to droop. Draco looked over at Parvati, and then the coffee. Parvati nodded silently. When Lilah sagged, they carried her to the bed, and laid her down, covering her with the blanket.

Draco stood up. “I am going out. There were rumours of an escape exit in the Tombs. Nobody has found it, but Crabbe mentioned it. The Tombs have been searched thoroughly, but nobody found the exit. There is definitely one down there - I found out from one of the house elves when I asked for your birdseed. Nobody thinks to question them – and they do respond to kindness. Neither do they owe any allegiance to Voldemort. As far as I can make out their original owners were slaughtered. The elf says the exit is hidden by an older magic. I am going to try some unlocking charms anyway. If Peter is down there, I will try to get his wedding ring for Lilah. Watch her while I am gone.”

“Draco – you can’t! Voldemort has got a map! He will know where you are!” Parvati whispered frantically, as he strode toward the door. “We have to get Snape out of here – we can’t get caught! Draco!” She grabbed his shoulders.

Draco turned, and his eyes, miserable and frustrated met hers. “I am sorry Parvati. I have to go. We have to get out of here, and the force here is stronger and the exits are guarded more heavily than we thought. If I don’t make it back get Lilah to help you with Snape. You know, when I was younger, I couldn’t do anything to help her. Now I can.” He hesitated. “I was very fond of Peter too,” he said quietly. Parvati saw from the devastation in his eyes that it was an understatement. “And I need to make peace with my mother.” He ran a finger down Parvati’s cheek, and wiped away the tears. He kissed her gently. “I love you Parvati. I don’t know what I would have done without you these last few weeks.” He knew it was a mistake to tell her, but he was feeling vulnerable and needed her to know.

Parvati gazed into his eyes. “I love you too,” she said at last, her voice trembling. “Draco, look after yourself. Come back to us. Take some of this, and use your invisibility cloak.” She handed him the flask of Anti-Screening Potion. “Better that Voldemort sees you disappear off the map than he sees where you go. He may think it a malfunction of the map, if we are lucky.”

Draco kissed her again, hungrily. “Hopefully he won’t be looking. He can’t look at that thing all the time.” He opened the door carefully and looked out. There was nobody there. He pulled the invisibility cloak over his head and closed the door. Parvati stood in the middle of the room, feeling a leaden weight on her chest. Yet Draco had said he loved her. She had always imagined that hearing those words from him would make her heart sing. Now she would not be able to enjoy them until he returned and she knew he was safe.

It was cold in the room, but Lilah had the blankets. Parvati covered her even more, pulling the covers over the lower half of her face. If one just glanced into the room, they would see what looked like Draco under the covers. In the shadows, the faces were so similar they could be mistaken. She herself dwindled into a raven again, to try to sleep on the bedpost.