Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

By Himself, Its Easy to Pretend He'll Never Love Again by lovemaggie

[ - ]   Printer Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter One

Hermione strolled happily towards Hogwarts from the village of Hogsmeade, where she had Apparated to a few moments earlier. It was a warm, sunny, summer day, and Hermione could barely think of anything but her fiancé and upcoming wedding. She imagined a flowing, beautiful white dress and pink flowers scattered on the ground. She could see herself and the love of her life, standing together, slipping rings on each other’s fingers. Symbols of their commitment and long-lasting devotion.

Reaching the school, she knocked on the large door of the school, her mind still elsewhere. Filch answered with a sneer at her daydreaming, distant gaze.

“And what do you want?” Filch said, interrupting her thoughts. His cat was winding and curling around his legs, staring at Hermione.

“Oh! I’m here to see the Headmaster about a job offer,” she replied.

“Uh-huh…” Filch stalked off, leaving Hermione to follow in his wake.

Filch and Mrs. Norris, whose bright eyes were fixed on Hermione, led her through the school’s passageways to the stone gargoyle that marked the entrance of Dumbledore’s office.

“Chocolate Frog,” snarled Filch. The gargoyle leapt aside and Dumbledore himself came down the stairs.

“Miss Granger here to see you, Headmaster.”

“Thank you, Argus. I will take it from here.” Filch left and quickly disappeared behind a tapestry. Dumbledore gestured to Hermione, who followed him through the doorway and up the stairs. As they entered the office, the portraits of past headmasters and headmistresses of Hogwarts came to life, watching closely.

“Welcome back to Hogwarts, my dear. Please, take a seat. How has life been treating you?” Dumbledore asked kindly.

“Oh, very well, sir. I’m sure you have heard…” Hermione broke off, attempting to be modest about her many accomplishments. Dumbledore smiled broadly.

“Yes, let’s see… During the Final Battle, you fought with your friends and saved the lives of many Order members and innocents alike. And after achieving 12 Outstanding O.W.L.s in your fifth year, you went on to receive immensely impressive N.E.W.Ts, and graduated top of your class in seventh year. When you left Hogwarts, you immediately went to a leading research lab and developed a more efficient Pepper-up, sans the steam side effect. Then, you received an invite to work at the prestigious Lycanthropy lab, where you invented an alternative to Wolfsbane Potion, that tastes like candy, and the first ever antidote to werewolf bites. You received your mastership in seven short years, Hermione! You are an amazing student, witch, and Potions Mistress. I am proud to say that you studied at Hogwarts.”

Hermione was blushing profusely. “Thank you, sir.”

“That brings me to my reason for asking you here today. Professor Snape feels he isn’t capable of teaching full-time at the moment. We have decided that the best course of action would be to hire an assisting teacher to help run classes while he is…out. He has agreed to teach the assistant during the summer, so he”or she”will be ready to start come September.” Dumbledore paused a moment before continuing. “Hermione, I want you to be the assistant.”

Shocked, Hermione asked, “If you don’t mind me asking, sir, why exactly can’t Professor Snape teach?”

“Ah, I am sorry, my dear, but I cannot tell you everything. Perhaps Professor Snape will reveal it to you himself. His life is a difficult one, and teaching, I’m afraid, seems to add to his stress.

“Oh,” said Hermione, thinking. She supposed it was really none of her business. “But, Professor, isn’t 23 much too young to be a … well, a professor?

“You have already proven your capability, Hermione. I have utmost faith in you, my dear,” said Dumbledore, his eyes twinkling.

“Er, sir, I am so pleased that you would consider me for this position, believe me I am, but…”

“Yes, Hermione?”

“Well, I’m engaged!” said Hermione proudly, showing Dumbledore her ring. It was a modest silver band, graced with a tasteful diamond.

“My congratulations, dear. A beautiful ring, I must say. Who is the lucky groom-to-be?”

“Ron. But you see, I’m not sure if he would exactly approve of my teaching with Snape when I should probably be planning our wedding. I am so happy to be getting married, sir, and I want to be able to put the wedding before everything else. I’m not sure if… well, if I would have the time or energy to put into teaching right now. Not that it isn’t a great offer! Plus, we would have to live at Hogwarts,” said Hermione.

“Hermione, I beg you to reconsider. We desperately want you here at Hogwarts. I see no reason why you and Ron cannot live at the school after your marriage so you can teach. As for the wedding plans, I am certain that Molly would simply love to assist.” Dumbledore’s blue eyes were twinkling again.

“Thank you, sir, but there’s also the fact that it’s…”

“What is it, Hermione?” the elderly professor asked gently. Hermione mumbled something incoherently.

“I didn’t quite catch that,” said Dumbledore, laughter evident in his face.

“It’s Snape! He hates me! I am just another student to him”nothing important, not worthy, in his opinion. A… a Mudblood,” whispered Hermione.

“Ah, my dear, you are mistaken. Professor Snape has ultimate respect for you, a distinguished colleague in the field of Potions. As a schoolgirl, no, you were not anything special in his mind. But now! With your discoveries and research, Hermione, I feel sure he would be honored to have you assist him at Hogwarts.”

“So, I take it you haven’t asked him then?”

“No, no I haven’t. I’m just, ah… waiting for the opportune moment.”

“Right. Sir, do you think that maybe you could just ask him now? I mean, if he for some reason doesn’t consent, then there would be no point in you trying to convince me further,” Hermione suggested.

“All right,” said Dumbledore with a sigh. He rose from his chair and walked to the fireplace. Grabbing a pinch of Floo powder, he stuck his head in the fire and called, “Professor Snape!”

“Yes, Headmaster?”

“I would like for you to come interview the candidate for your job opening.” Hermione couldn’t quite make out Snape’s reply, but a second later, Severus Snape stepped from the fireplace and wiped the soot and dust from his hair.

“Miss Granger,” he said, looking up. “Headmaster, this is the candidate? She, ah… she is quite young, sir.”

“Young, but extremely renowned already. As you once were, Severus,” Dumbledore gave him a meaningful look. “We would all be privileged to have her among us once more.”

Snape stared at the old man, assessing his gaze. Hermione wondered what was going on between them.

“Well, I suppose you are right, Headmaster. Have you accepted the position then, Miss Granger?” Snape asked.

“I”No, I haven’t. I am supposed to be getting married, you see, Professor. I am not sure that I would have the time.”

“Are you implying that your fiancé doesn’t care about your career?” insinuated Snape.

“Well, no, but I suppose that is how it sounds, isn’t it?” said Hermione, musing. “Perhaps I am implying that. I do think Ron would rather have me at home with children than working. He likes to be the provider, you know.”

“So you want to put aside everything you have worked for these past years just for Mr. Weasley?”

“I”No, I don’t.” Hermione grew more confused every time Snape spoke. “But… I want to marry him; I love him. I also want to accept this job. I want to teach at Hogwarts.”

“Well, Miss Granger, it looks like it’s one or the other,” sneered Snape. “I guess you will have to find a different candidate, Headmaster. Might I suggest someone who would have the proper pride at being asked?”

“Oh no, Severus. I am quite set on Miss Granger. I will not take no for an answer, Hermione,” said Dumbledore.

“Well… I suppose Ron and I could work something out, sir.”

“Do you accept then?”

“Yes, I do, Professor Dumbledore. Thank you very much. You have no idea how much this means to me,” said Hermione happily.

“I think I have an inkling of an idea, my dear. And it is Hogwarts who thanks you. Now, would you like to stay for a cup of tea, or do you have to be getting back home?” asked Dumbledore.

“Oh! Tea would be wonderful, thank you,” said Hermione.

~~{*}~~

Hermione stood still in the center of the room that was to be hers. It was green and silver and black. Next to a wall of tall, full bookshelves, the open windows let in the summer sunshine and a light breeze. A cozy armchair beckoned invitingly to Hermione, who suddenly felt very tired.

“Dobby is wondering if Miss Hermione would like to see her bedroom?” said Dobby the house-elf. He had shown Snape’s Assistant to her quarters happily, knowing that she was friends with his hero, Harry Potter.

“Oh, sure. Thank you, Dobby.” The pair walked into the bedroom, and Hermione saw in was decorated in Gryffindor colors.

“I take it Professor Snape hasn’t seen this room. I don’t think he would approve of these colors in his dungeon.”

“Oh, no, Miss. Professor Snape cannot enter Miss Hermione’s rooms without Miss Hermione’s permission.”

“Well… That’s good to know, Dobby, but I doubt Snape’ll want to visit me more often than he has to.”

“Oh. Is Miss Hermione been seeing Harry Potter lately?”

“No, Dobby, I haven’t seen him in a few weeks.”

“Does Miss Hermione know where Harry Potter is?” asked Dobby curiously.

“Yeah, he’s staying in Hogsmeade. I can give you the address if you want to go visit him sometime.”

“Yes, Miss Hermione, sometime Dobby would like to go visit Harry Potter. But not today. Dobby must be getting back to work.”

“You’re right. I’m sorry to have kept you. Thank you for showing me my rooms.”

“You are welcome, Miss Hermione. Oh, Dobby is almost forgetting! This door here leads to Professor Snape’s laboratory and common room.” Dobby pointed to a small wooden door near the bookshelves. “Professor Snape says to remind Miss Hermione that she is expected in the laboratory at 9 sharp Monday morning. And Professor Dumbledore says to tell Miss Hermione to enjoy her day off tomorrow.” Dobby looked very pleased with himself at remembering both messages.

“Thank you, Dobby. Can I ask you to do one more thing for me?.”

“Of course, Miss Hermione!” said Dobby enthusiastically.

Hermione sat down at the desk in the corner of the room to write a quick note to Ron.

My Dearest Ron,

I have arrived safely at Hogwarts and am writing to you from my room. You won’t believe the colors”red and gold in Snape’s dungeon! Of course, the outer room is Slytherin green, but I will be at home in my bedroom at least. Tomorrow I have the day off, and I was thinking about making a visit to Hogsmeade to buy cauldrons and Potions supplies. Will you meet me in the Three Broomsticks at noon? We could have lunch and then shop. I love you. Only three more months until our wedding, can you believe it?

Love,
Hermione


“Dobby, will you make sure this gets delivered to Ron?”

“Yes, Miss Hermione,” said Dobby before he disappeared with a loud crack!

~~{*}~~

Hermione had just left with the house-elf Dobby, who was showing her to her quarters. Severus and Dumbledore stood together in the headmaster’s office.

“Severus, you look a tad upset. Surely the appointment of Miss Granger is not still bothering you.”

“No, no, Headmaster. She is young, but perhaps under my”tutelage”she will mature. No, that is not what is bothering me, but it’s nothing you can help me with, sir. Goodnight.” Snape bowed gracefully and made his way out and down the stairs.

Severus Snape was a lonely man. The life of a death-eater-turned-spy was not an easy one, and he had never thought that it would include someone else. Spies were traditionally solitary people; they couldn’t attach themselves or get close to others for fear of being caught. It was true that Severus had once loved, but alone for so many years, he had never thought that right person would happen upon his life again.

Alone, it was easy to pretend that he liked being isolated and cut-off. He hadn’t made an effort at getting to know any one else since “the incident.” He wasn’t sure he could go through that again. Yes, the heartache at the death of his former fiancée had passed, so had the terrible dreams of the night Roselyn was murdered. But he didn’t want to put himself again through those years when his heart still ached and when the dreams came hauntingly every night. Now, he was bitter, but at peace. Tormenting sub-par potions students was all he looked forward to each day. He had no one to worry about but himself, and that was how he liked it.

But seeing the adult Hermione Granger had stirred up a feeling Severus hadn’t felt in years, or ever thought he would feel again.

He remembered the seven years of teaching her. Remembered hearing of all her accomplishments in Potions, and knowing that he had helped her along the way. In his mind’s eye, Severus could see the way her bushy hair would fall into her eyes as she stirred a complicated potion. He pictured the way her eyes would light up when she was the only one in the Seventh Year NEWT class to brew of a particularly difficult potion correctly. She had grown up well. He envisaged her walking around the school, hand-in-hand with Ron Weasley. He recalled his disbelief that a girl as smart as Hermione would ever fall for a boy like that. Now she was marrying him. And marriage to him was almost more important to her than her amazing career. Through the tangents of his mind, he had finally gotten to what was, so evidently to Dumbledore, bothering him. One of the most brilliant girls Severus had ever taught would consider giving up her accomplishments for some boy, who could never be good enough for her.

Severus Snape was a lonely man, and he could no longer understand love.




Many thanks to my amazing beta, Becca. I don't know what I would do without her!

What did you think? Let me know!