Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

The Young and the Wizardly by Moon110581

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: Looking for a little more drama in your average fanfic?? Come read the latest installment of this Harry Potter soap opera!

Snape's head jerked up at the sudden appearance of Albus Dumbledore and a disheveled Roger turning into the doorway of the torture chamber. Olive jumped up in her cage.

"Oh Roger! Oh! I knew you'd come back with help!"Olive said. She smiled at her husband as he and Dumbledore moved over to the cage.

Dumbledore pulled out his wand and released Olive and Snape. Snape massaged his aching wrists with irritation and Olive grasped Roger firmly.

"Perhaps you might explain what has happened here, Severus,"Dumbledore said as he left Roger and Olive to their happy reunion.

"Moaning Myrtle, the ghost who haunts the girl's lavatory, somehow imprisoned Olive here with the assistance of that detestable Mundungus Fletcher. When I heard the woman's shouts for help and went to investigate, I too was imprisoned,"Snape explained.

"Surely your students would have noticed your absence and alerted someone,"Dumbledore suggested.

"We've been imprisoned down here for days. None of my students had the foresight to even look into my disappearance,"Snape said, not a little disgruntled about the situation. "I must also bring to your attention the fact that Draco Malfoy and Harry Potter were both involved with this somehow. I have no doubt that Mr. Malfoy was only trying to prevent Mr. Potter from doing some foolishness, but I couldn't seem to get any answers out of the old woman."

"I'm sure Mrs. Newton had plenty of other things on her mind at the time than misbehaving students, Severus. I'm sure the students were just trying to help, but I shall of course speak to both of them this evening,"Dumbledore said. "In the meantime, perhaps the Newtons would like to come with me."

"Oh yes, thank you so much Professor Dumbledore,"Olive said, and she and Roger followed Dumbledore out of the dungeons and into the mayhem of the castle, still beset with rampaging kiddens. The Newtons were relieved when Dumbledore was able to get them to the relative safety of his office.

Later that day, despite the presence of Hagrid stomping around the school after weird furry creatures, Professor Snape's double potions class in the dungeons was straggling into the classroom, disinterested in being on time as they figured Snape wasn't going to be there anyway.

Ron and Harry sat down at one of the tables and started talking about Hermione's disappearance, while other students practiced charms, gossiped about McGonagall's kiddens, and doodled on their potions books.

"SILENCE!"a voice roared, and the startled students stared up into the sallow face of Severus Snape. All motion stopped. The class was frozen in shock. "I will not hesitate to tell you how dismayed I am that none of you had the consideration to mention to any of your teachers that I was no longer attending my classes. I will be taking 50 points from both Gryffindor and Slytherin and you will all have detention with me every evening for a month."

There were several stunned gasps. Neville Longbottom was on the verge of fainting.

"Furthermore, if for any reason I am not in this classroom at the appropriate time, you are to notify the first available teacher. There will be no excuses for not doing this, and the punishment shall be even more severe to anyone who does not follow my orders,"Snape said, glowering down at his terrified class. "Also, Mr. Potter, Mr. Malfoy, you both are required to meet with headmaster Dumbledore and myself this evening in the headmaster's office. No excuses. Now turn to page 275 in your potions books and begin reading the next chapter. There will be no need to talk."

Professor Mcgonagall hurried down into the entrance hall between her classes looking for Hagrid. She found him near the staff lounge, gripping one kidden while trying to get another down from on top of a suit of armor.

"How are things going, Hagrid?"Mcgonagall asked. She had a strained, nervous look about her.

"Oh, hello professor, I got one of 'em right here, almost got that one on the armor. Three more and I'll have them rounded up. I think I heard screams up by the History of Magic classroom,"Hagrid said. McGonagall sighed.

"This is getting out of hand, Hagrid. And its not as though they're dangerous! Really! Students running around and screaming, it's preposterous,"Mcgonagall said.

"Well, I imagine they've never seen such creatures. People tend to be afraid of things they don't know about,"Hagrid said, reaching a giant hand up towards the kidden on the armor.

"Do you think that you could take them out to your hut when you've retrieved them? I would be grateful,"McGonagall said.

"Sure thing, professor, don't you worry about nothin'."

Up in Dumbledore's office, Olive and Roger were just starting to feel normal again. They sipped tea with lemon from the plush chairs in front of Dumbledore's desk, while Mundungus Fletcher squirmed in a wooden chair Dumbledore had conjured for him in the corner.

"Mundungus, I hope we have an understanding,"Dumbledore said, looking over his half-moon spectacles. "If you are found causing any more trouble in my school you will be answering to the Ministry."

"Yes, Professor Dumbledore, I understand, it was all that dead girl's idea,"Mundungus said.

"I will be reminding Myrtle of the Ministry's actions against her regarding Mrs. Newton in the past, and how she will be held responsible for any further harassment of this woman or her family. As for you, I would suggest you leave and stay far from this castle, Mr. Fletcher,"Dumbledore said.

"Absolutely, Mr. Dumbledore,"Mundungus said. "I'll just see my way out..."

Mundungus hurried out the door, leaving the Newtons alone with Dumbledore.

"Now if there is anything else I can do for you dear people...."Dumbledore started, but he was interrupted by Madame Pomfrey pushing through the door.

"Headmaster! I apologize for interrupting! But Ms. Granger has disappeared from my care, and no one has seen her,"Madame Pomfrey said. Dumbledore''s eyebrows raised in surprise.

"Do you mean to tell me that a pregnant student with a brain tumor and a head encased in cement has gone missing from your hospital wing?"Dumbledore said.

"Yes sir. I tracked down Mr. Potter to ask if he had seen her or knew anything, but he was as surprised as I was. The hospital wing was searched, and Mr. Potter and I searched various areas of the castle. She's nowhere to be found,"Madame Promfrey said.

"Madame Pomfrey, I will need you to alert the entire staff about the disappearance of the girl. The Newtons will need to return home at once, then no one is to leave or approach the castle grounds. I want Hogsmeade alerted to Ms. Granger's disappearance and I shall be sending an owl out to alert her parents,"Dumbledore said. Madame Pomfrey nodded, then hurried out of the office to alert the staff.

"We thank you for your help, Professor Dumbledore, but we can see you're a tad busy at the moment,"Olive said.

"Thank you for understanding, I have alerted the Ministry of Magic about your situation, and you shall be able to return to your residence with floo powder from my office,"Dumbledore said, and he sent the Newtons on their way with a sigh of relief that at least one problem was resolved. He returned to his desk to compose a letter to Hermione's parents, hoping they were still staying at the Hog's Head with the Weasleys.

As he began composing his letter, he was interrupted once again, this time by Severus Snape, leading Harry Potter and Draco Malfoy into the office. Dumbledore had forgotten this bit of business.

"Severus, is it imperative that these students be interrogated at this very moment? It's just that I have rampaging 'kiddens' startling the student body and I've just been alerted that Ms. Hermione Granger has disappeared from the hospital wing despite the fact her entire head is encased in cement,"Dumbledore said.

"I beg your pardon, headmaster, but I think it important to find out what these two were up to in the dungeons regarding the imprisonment of Ms. Newton and myself. Also, Mr. Potter may have information leading to Ms. Granger's whereabouts,"Snape said.

" Mr. Potter has already been alerted to Ms. Granger's recent disappearance, having in fact joined in the search of the school with Madame Pomfrey. I'm sure he has no further information regarding the missing girl. But if you insist,"Dumbledore said. He turned to Mr. Potter. "What were you and Mr. Malfoy doing in the dungeons?"

"I...I was bringing the woman in the cage some food, and Draco happened to wander into the room while I was doing so,"Harry said. He looked over at Draco. He was staring at the floor.

"You knew Ms. Newton and her husband were imprisoned in the dungeons?"Dumbledore said.

"Yes sir. I would have told you, but Moaning Myrtle was blackmailing me, and I knew that she would say something about me if I mentioned that she was holding people captive in the torture chamber,"Harry said. Dumbledore frowned.

"And just what was Myrtle holding over you?"Snape demanded.

"Severus, blackmail is illegal, and it's victims are entitled to help without having their secrets exposed to the world,"Dumbledore said. "Now, Mr. Potter, were you breaking any school rules or causing harm to anyone?"

"No sir. It was simply a matter that would embarrass me should it become public knowledge,"Harry said.

"And Mr. Malfoy, what do you have do with any of this?"Dumbledore asked.

"I was trying to see what Potter was up to, sir,"Malfoy said.

"And why didn't you come forward about the captives in the dungeon?"

"I was also being blackmailed, but I didn't break any school rules or cause harm to anyone,"Malfoy said.

"Very well, Severus. The boys have explained themselves, and I see no reason to continue to question them,"Dumbledore said.

"But Headmaster, you must see that they are lying!"Snape hissed. "I believe they should be interrogated until the full truth is out, and then we can decide if they have broken any rules."

"Our students are entitled to their privacy, Severus, if it has nothing to do with the school."

"We don't know that they're telling the truth,"Snape argued.

"Mr. Potter has always told the truth when speaking with me, despite his tendency to get himself into trouble. Mr. Malfoy has a far worse track record, but he confirms what Harry has already told us. I think we're done here, Severus,"Dumbledore said. Snape scowled and stalked out of the office.

"Mr. Malfoy, you may return to your common room,"Dumbledore said. Draco left. "Now, Mr. Potter, that we are alone, were you entirely truthful earlier?"

"Yes sir. Neither me or Draco broke any school rules, Myrtle was simply threatening to say something very embarrassing about us, and putting us in a very hard situation,"Harry said.

"Alright, Mr. Potter. Is there anything else you need to discuss with me at the moment?" Harry thought about that. He knew he should follow Hermione's advice and tell Dumbledore about Professor Persephone/'Sirius', but he wasn't sure he wanted to at the moment. He didn't know what to do.

"No sir. Nothing,"Harry said. Dumbledore's eyes twinkled behind his spectacles as he looked at Harry, but he didn't pursue the matter.

"Very well, Mr. Potter, you may return to your common room,"Dumbledore said, and as Harry left Dumbledore was enveloped in a moment of blissful silence in which to write to Hermione's parents about the terrible news regarding their daughter.

Despite Dumbledore's request for him to return to the common room, Harry knew he needed to go talk to 'Sirius.' He hurried along the corridor, passing by Hagrid heading back down to the entrance hall with the last kidden clawing into his moleskin coat. Harry turned into the Health classroom and knocked on the door of the office.

"It's me...Harry,"Harry said as he heard the frantic noises from inside the office. Sirius opened the door with a scarf wrapped around his head.

"Are you alone?"he asked, looking around. Harry nodded, and Sirius hurried him into the cramped office.

"I wanted to ask you some questions,"Harry said.

"You must listen to me Harry,"Sirius insisted. "You need to stay away from Draco Malfoy, he's just using you and up to no good. You are in great danger."

"Great danger from what?"Harry asked.

"I can't discuss it now...."

"Why not? When can you discuss it? If you ask me, this is all getting a bit strange and I want to know what's going on!"Harry said.

"Harry, I am your friend and your godfather. You have to trust me during this difficult time. The Dark Lord may already suspect that I'm alive..."

"The Dark Lord? You never referred to Voldemort as 'the Dark Lord' before,"Harry said. He stared into Sirius's nervous eyes.

"Harry, this is ridiculous. You're mistrusting your own godfather, and falling in love with your worst enemy. You're the one who's not making any sense right now, Harry,"Sirius said. Harry felt a pang of guilt at the mention of his new relationship with Draco, and felt like a child under Sirius's reprimand.

"I'm sorry, I just...."

"It's alright, you just need to be more vigilant. Do you have a Hogsmeade trip coming up?"

"Yes, just after Halloween,"Harry said.

"Alright, then. I want you to meet me in the Hog's Head on your next trip and I will tell you everything that's going on,"Sirius said. "Do you understand?"

"Yes."

That night, as the school slept, a dark shape in the night was breaking into Professor Persephone's office. The intruder slipped in, and began searching the various drawers and cupboards, taking out items and setting them on the desk. They were potion ingredients, including lace-wing flies and boomslang skin. The intruder gathered the ingredients into a sack and left the office as quietly as they had entered. The shadow hurried down the corridor, having been seen by no one....