Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Just The Guy To Do It by hpgurl2121

[ - ]   Printer Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Disclaimer: The song and lyrics belong to Toby Keith. Great song. Wish it was mine…but no cigar.

Author’s Note: As it was with my other songfic, ~*~*~*~*~*~*~ = song lyrics.

ONE-SHOT
DO BLONDES REALLY HAVE MORE FUN…?

***NEVILLE***

It was on the train ride to my fifth year at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry when it happened. I had caught up with Harry and Ginny, and we started looking for a compartment together. Harry and I had followed Ginny into a compartment that was only occupied by one person…

Her.

Luna Lovegood.

I fell for her the second I laid eyes on her. Her long, dirty-blonde hair may have seemed unkempt and scraggly to others, but it reminded me of the sun in autumn. And her enormous blue eyes might have been viewed by others as protuberant and surprised, but to me, they were crystal clear orbs of pure aquamarine. And to this day, I have yet to find anything more intriguing or more fun than her butterbeer cap necklace.

She was simply…amazing. And not in the way that most girls are. She was unique…fascinating. Everything that I thought of as normal she would do in an entirely different way. And it was this incessant difference that first drew me to her. And from what I had heard about her, she was an outcast. She was the one that was always talked about behind her back; the one everyone thought of as strange or abnormal.

We had something in common!

Well, as I got to know her more and more throughout the school year and watched her in the DA, my fascination with her only grew. Everything about her -from her radish earrings to the way she stuck her wand behind her ear for safekeeping- captivated me. And I found myself dreaming about her. At first, she appeared only about once a month in my dreams, and even then, she only stayed for a little while. But as the time passed, she appeared more and more often. And eventually, the dreams became not-so-innocent, if you get my drift.

Those provocative visions still plague me.

But I was too shy to tell her how I felt. I was a dork, a complete idiot. I was a klutz, I was forgetful, I was nervous and insecure. I was the clown, the one everyone laughed at. The one who stepped on girls’ toes when I tried to dance with them. Of course I couldn’t tell her! Besides, even if I did manage to work up the courage, I would either chicken out when the time came, or I would get all tongue-tied, trip and fall flat on my face, or otherwise make a bloody fool out of myself.

Then, at the beginning of this year, our seventh and last year here, she got a boyfriend.

Having to see her with him every day…being forced to sit idly by while he kissed her in the hallways, at Quidditch games, and outside the Ravenclaw Common Room…knowing that even if I had the courage, she could never come with me to the Farewell Ball…it all just tore me apart.

I was never really the jealous type, so I didn’t get angry. I just became distant…melting into the background and becoming even more invisible than I usually am. Everyone could tell I was depressed about something. Harry asked me a few times if I was feeling all right, and Ron even took the effort to try and cheer me up, but nothing worked. I just hurt too much.

Then, just a few days ago, he broke up with her.

At first, my heart soared. He was gone! He was history! She may not have been my girl “officially”, but from my perspective, no one could ever take her away from me.

Then I thought of her. How sad she must be! How cold and lonely! How dare I take pleasure from her pain! I know she really liked him, maybe even thought she was in love. She told me many times how happy he made her, how kind and sweet and caring he was. How devastated she must be!

At last, my cyclone-ing thoughts came to rest on him. Anger such as I had never felt boiled up inside me. How could he do this?! How could he simply throw away the admiration and affection of this incredible young woman without another thought?! He had to be either a real prick or incredibly troll-brained to be able to do something like that! Personally, I think it’s a combination of both.

So now, here I stand, in the seventh year boys’ dormitory, staring at myself in the mirror and going over these events in my head for the millionth time. I run my gaze up and down, appraising myself.

I may not be the best-looking guy in our year, but I do have to admit, I look better than I used to. My face isn’t as round anymore; it’s chiseled-looking. I managed to lose most of the baby fat around my middle, and I was even able to build up some lean muscle! Gram took me to the Oral Healer over last holiday saying that she couldn’t stand my over-bite/bucktooth problem any longer, so my teeth are straight now but still a bit over-sized.

I don a navy blue T-shirt, a pair of baggy blue jeans, and some white trainers. The T-shirt is the kind all the blokes wore these days -clingy in the shoulders and arms to show off biceps, and slightly loose but not too baggy in the body. I run my fingers through my gelled hair, making sure it lay just right. I want to look my best for this particular Hogsmeade trip in case I run into Luna in The Three Broomsticks. Maybe I could buy her a butterbeer…cheer her up some.

**************************************************************************************

I’m standing just inside the doorway of The Three Broomsticks. I can see younger students sitting at booths and tables with their friends sipping butterbeers, and the older students that have already come of age can be seen sitting at the bar, downing shots of Ogden’s Firewhiskey and laughing obnoxiously with their dates.

She’s here.

She’s sitting on a barstool and leaning heavily against the oak bar, a glass of spiced rum on the rocks in front of her. She’s wearing a bright blue tank top and short denim shorts, a colorful belt made of strung-together paper clips draped loosely around her slim waist. She’s wearing my favorite butterbeer cap necklace, and her wand, as usual, is behind her left ear. Her long blonde hair is pulled back into a loose bun at the back of her head, rebellious tendrils falling on her cheeks and neck. Her pretty face is all red and blotchy, but I can tell she’s trying to hide it.

Suddenly, I feel as if all the nerve I had worked up the past few days has just been drained from my body. Where is that Gryffindor bravery I supposedly possess? Well, it’s not here, I can tell you that!

So why my feet start to carry me over to her, I will never know. I pull up a barstool next to her and put my elbows on the bar. For a minute, I just sit here, fiddling with my hands until my palms aren’t sweating so badly. Then I go to speak…

And I don’t know what to say! I start getting nervous all over again, so I just say the first thing that pops into my mind.

“So…” I go…

~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Do blondes really have more fun,
Or they just easier to spot in the dark?
~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Luna looks over at me with a strange look plastered on her face. “What?”

Oh, dammit, what a troll-brained thing to say! Neville, you oaf, say something! Quick!

So I chuckle weakly. I can feel my face turning bright red as I say…

~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Girl, I’m just trying to cheer you up,
I saw you sitting over here all alone with a broken heart.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~

She gives me a weak smile, but then her lower lip starts to quiver, and she looks away before the tears start to fall again. I can’t help it; I put a hand on her trembling shoulder and say gently…

~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It’s hurting you real bad, wish there was something that I had,
I’d hook you up, get you through it.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~

At this, Luna can’t help but look back over at me. She reaches over then and rests a hand on my cheek. “Neville, you are so kind to me, but… Well, as sweet as your intentions are, I just don’t think there’s anything you can do.”

Suddenly, with her hand on my face and her words saying how sweet and kind I am, I feel fit to burst with Gryffindor courage. Well, at least that’s the only way to explain what I was preparing to say.

“Oh, really?” I say, trying to sound disappointed. “Well, I just thought that maybe…”

~*~*~*~*~*~*~
You might need a man to hold you ‘til it don’t.
I’m just the guy to do it.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Luna is apparently rendered speechless by this sudden offer, for she just stares at me with those big aquamarine orbs when I’m finished. But finally she whispers, “Maybe…” and takes a little sip of her rum.

Suddenly, a loud noise from the other end of the bar makes me tear my gaze from the brooding girl beside me.

It’s him.

He’s sitting on a barstool, surrounded by his mates with a long-legged redhead draped across his arm. They all have bottles of Ogden’s Firewhiskey, and they all look more than a little tipsy.

I tap Luna on the shoulder and point to him.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Is that your pretty boy standing there at the end of the bar?
He’s got some nerve.
Talking loud and drinking with a redhead riding shotgun on his arm.
He’s such a jerk
~*~*~*~*~*~*~

I don’t even need an answer. The look in her eyes is enough. There’s an angry fire behind those eyes as they lock on the redhead, and she purses her lips. Feeling that talking bad about her ex makes her feel better, I continue and say…

~*~*~*~*~*~*~
I think he’s a knucklehead; all those ugly things he said were out of line.
Man, he blew it.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~

I look straight into those angry eyes and smirk as I say…

~*~*~*~*~*~*~
He might need someone to put him in his place.
I’m just the guy to do it.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~

After this comment, Luna FINALLY looks like she comprehends what I’m trying to say, because the next thing that leaves her lips is, “Can you promise me that?”

I shrug and go…

~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Baby, I can’t mend your broken heart.
I can’t take away your pain.
I can’t promise you the sun is gonna shine when you’re walking in the rain.
If you need a hero for tonight, I can be the one, let me prove it.
Yeah, you just say the magic words and we’ll be gone.
I’m just the guy to do it.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~

“Okay,” she says quietly, and she takes my hand in hers. “Let’s go.” I smile, and we leave The Three Broomsticks hand-in-hand.

It’s pouring down rain outside.

So she Conjures a cheap umbrella, and we run across the street, seeking better shelter under the overhang of Honeydukes. When we get there, she turns to face me, and it is my turn to be rendered breathless. For I have never seen anyone so beautiful…so captivatingly different.

At this moment, my body seems to take over, for the next thing I know, I’m running my fingers through her soaking wet hair. And she doesn’t back away.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Baby, I can’t mend your broken heart.
I can’t take away your pain.
I can’t promise you the sun is gonna shine when you’re walking in the rain.
Oh, but if you need a hero for tonight, I can be the one, let me prove it.
Yeah, you just say the magic words and we’ll be gone.
I’m just the guy to do it.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Luna stands on her tip-toes and puts her hands behind my head, bringing me closer. And pretty soon, our lips connect, and it’s like nothing I’ve ever felt before. It’s an amazing feeling, having Luna this close to me. Her mouth is sweet, sweeter than I had ever dreamed. And I’m happy, happier than I’ve ever been.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Do blondes really have more fun,
Or they just easier to spot in the dark?
~*~*~*~*~*~*~

THE END

**************************************************************************************

Author’s Note: Hey, what did u think? My first Neville/Luna pairing although I am a HUGE supporter of this ship. I know, you’re all probably tired of me and my Toby Keith songfics, but he writes such amazing love songs; I just can’t help myself! Anyway, review!