Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Breaking the Habit by Ella Norman

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
A.N. - Sorry, short update, but I gave you two in the same day! You can't complain.
___________________________________________________
A Pair of Blue Eyes —

“Michael, stop,” she said, days later. Michael drew back his face. It had been inches away from hers, but he now drew back, wearing a puzzled expression.

“I haven’t broken up with Dean yet,” she said, backing away from him. “You don’t love me anyway.”

“Don’t love you?” he said, his face regaining its puzzled look. “I’m” — he searched for the right word — “intoxicated with you. Didn’t that mean anything to you?”

“No, Michael,” she said flatly. “I wanted it because I’m tired of Dean, not because I love you.”

The words that escaped her mouth horrified her.

“That’s enough,” she said. “I have to go.”

Amid the constant distraction that hustle and bustle of Hogwarts provided, Ginny had forgotten about her oath. She had vowed solemnly never to do anything dishonest ever again, but it was impossible, for she had never attempted anything like it before.

In the face of such an insurmountable burden, however, Ginny found her thoughts focusing on one man rather than many — Harry Potter.

In her heart of hearts, Ginny knew she was doing herself a disservice by thinking of him. After all, he did not love her.

But reminiscence gives way to memory, and that which is remember for but a moment remains with us always. A feeling came to Ginny — at the time it was subtle, anyone would have deemed it discomfort. Now — when magnified and brought in sharper view — was it love?

“Gin,” said a voice behind her. “Are you coming to Hogsmeade on Saturday? I want to know where to meet you.”

Dean had caught her off guard by slipping his hand so tenderly around her waist, tearing her brutally from her reverie.

“I’ll be there,” she said lovingly. “We’ll meet at the Three Broomsticks.” She turned around and planted a kiss on his cheek. “I love you.”

Satisfied, Dean turned around and went to his next class. Ginny was pleased with herself at having gotten rid of him so quickly, and turned to find herself face to face with Luna Lovegood.

“Hello, Luna,” Ginny said warily.

“Well done,” said Luna, her eyes crossed.

“What?” inquired Ginny, nonplussed, but Luna had a rare twinkle in her eye.

“You don’t like him anymore,” Luna pointed out, blatantly disregarding any social training she had ever received.

Ginny’s mouth fell open — had she been that obvious?

“I kissed him,” she said indignantly, lowering her voice. “How can you say I don’t like him? I like him very much.”

“That wouldn’t stop you.” Luna was watching her thumb very closely. “You’d kiss him anyway. Anything for a good show.”

Ginny walked to Care of Magical Creatures without a word. She hadn’t lied. She did like him, but by no means did she love him. But had she been that obvious? No one else had been there when had — encountered — Michael. Nobody else knew. She had paid special attention to Dean to cover any loose ends. Why was Luna so convinced that she would betray her boyfriend?

Because she had.

But that was ridiculous, thought Ginny. No one else knew — she would proclaim it to all the nations!

What Ginny didn’t know was that she and Michael hadn’t been alone — they had not been the only ones. A pair of blue eyes had been watching — Luna’s eyes.