Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Toxic by Therinian

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
She was finally home.

Seventeen-year-old Hermione Granger opened her bedroom door and tossed her red suitcase onto her neatly made full-size bed. She kicked off her white sandals and flopped down next to her suitcase, staring up at the ceiling over her bed, sighing happily.

She and her parents had just spent three weeks in the Yucatan Peninsula, located in Mexico. While it was enjoyable to walk the streets of Merida, eat delicious foods, and explore the nearby ancient Mayan temples, Hermione was glad to be home.

When her parents surprised her with a trip to anywhere, Hermione jumped at the chance to go to Mexico. She’d read that Uxamal was the site of of a Mayan ceremonial center, complete with a Soothsayer’s Pyramid, so she had been looking forward to visiting the ancient ruins.

Not surprisingly, after touring the site, Hermione had written three rolls of parchment for Professor Binns, a History of Magic teacher at the wizarding school she attended, Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry.

Hermione Granger was a witch. One would not suspect that by looking at her, for she was rather plain with her long, curly, light brown hair and almond-shaped hazel eyes, but to those who knew her, Hermione was beautiful in her own quirky way.

Many considered her to be “the cleverest witch of her age”. She knew plenty of spells and always received top marks in all of her classes, including Potions, taught by the insufferable Professor Snape. But Hermione lived her life, when away from Hogwarts, as a Muggle--a non-magical person. Her parents, both dentists, were considered by all in the magical world to be Muggles, for they did not possess real magic.

It had been quite a shock the day Hermione had received her first letter from Hogwarts, stating she had been accepted. A witch? Her? Neither she nor her parents could believe it, but they understood Hermione was different; she was smart, witty, and could memorize just about anything she’d read or had been told.

Thinking back to her vacation, Hermione couldn’t help but smile. It had been wonderful, almost perfect; she’d learned so much about the ancient Mayan culture, but what made it even more fantastic was the fact that she’d literally bumped into an old friend.

Viktor Krum, the International Quidditch superstar who played the position of Seeker for Bulgaria, had also been wandering through the ceremonial temples of Uxamal. Surprised, Hermione had asked him what he was doing in Mexico. He’d explained that he and his team were playing against the Mexican Quidditch Team, the Mayan Marauders, to raise money for St. Mungo’s Children’s Ward.

But this did not explain why he was in the temple, Hermione had wondered aloud. Sheepishly, Viktor admitted he was interested in Mexican history, and wanted to get a glimpse of some ancient temples before leaving the country. Thrilled to discover this, Hermione had taken it upon herself to show the brooding Bulgarian Seeker through the Mayan ruins. Later, Viktor was able to coax Hermione into sitting on the sidelines while he and his fellow Bulgarians practiced for the next day’s charity event.

The following day, Hermione had woken to discover Viktor had left tickets for her and her parents to see the game. Her parents were a bit befuddled and wondered what it was they’d actually be seeing, as Hermione had only ever explained the basics: a fast-paced, high-flying game on broomsticks involving a Quaffle, a Bludger, a Golden Snitch, and three hoops at either end of a large field.

This was her chance to show her parents the exciting game that was all anyone in the magical community could ever talk about. Mr. and Mrs. Granger were a bit apprehensive when they’d arrived at a very old and shuttered colosseum, but Hermione had explained this was perfectly normal, for the magical community very much preferred if Muggles did not know about them.

The game had gone well, with Viktor catching the Golden Snitch and adding 150 points to the team’s current 100 points. The Mayan Marauders had scored 90 points; all agreed it was a well-played match that raised over 800,000 Galleons for St. Mungo’s. Later that evening, Viktor and Hermione celebrated by dining and dancing under the stars.

Hermione rose from her bed and crossed the room to her large oak desk. She sat down and took out a quill, ink bottle, and parchment, so that she could write letters to her friends, Harry Potter, Ron Weasley, and his sister, Ginny. She then opened the window over her desk, allowing a small breeze to waft in. Dipping her quill into the ink bottle, Hermione thought about what to write to her three companions.

To Ginny, her best friend, she would give specific details about her vacation, but to Harry and Ron, she decided it was best to be very general and not chatter away. Ron was still torn between worshipping and loathing Viktor Krum, so Hermione decided she would leave out the parts where she and the Bulgarian Seeker actually spent time alone.

After she finished writing her letters, she handed them to her bandy-legged ginger cat, Crookshanks. His pug face showed his pleasure at this simple task for his mistress and he jumped up onto the desk, carefully clamping his jaws around the letters. With a swish of his bottlebrush tail, Crookshanks hitched himself through the open window. Hermione knew he’d find an owl to send the letters to her friends, but how Crookshanks did this, she could never quite figure out. And Ron thinks my cat’s a stupid git,Hermione thought with a smirk.

Hermione moved over to the bed again and began unpacking the things in her suitcase. As she was placing her jumpers into the closet, a whooshing sound caught her attention, and she looked over to see a large brown barn owl sitting on the very same spot she’d been writing her letters. In its beak was a yellowed envelope with emerald green writing. Hermione knew immediately what this was: a welcome back letter from Hogwarts complete with a list of items she’d need for the coming year.

She took the letter from the owl, patted it on the head, then gestured to Crookshanks water dish. Hooting its thanks, the owl hopped over to the yellow saucer and gulped politely before spreading its wings and taking flight.

Hermione noticed the letter was thicker than usual...and a bit lumpy. Turning it over, she slit it open and peered inside. There lay a shiny object smaller than her hand. “What in the...?” She tipped the envelope over and the metallic object fell into her hand. She flipped it over and read “Head Girl”.

“Head Girl? HEAD GIRL!” she gasped, dropping the envelope in shock, Quickly recovering, however, Hermione scooped it up and hurriedly opened it. She unfolded the bundle of papers; the top one read:

Dear Ms. Granger,

We would like to express our great pleasure in naming you the new Head Girl for the coming school year at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry.

Please find enclosed your new Head Girl badge and list of schoolbooks and other items needed for the year.

You will need to arrive at Platform 9-3/4 by 10 o’clock sharp on the morning of September 1. As Head Girl, you will be required to greet new and returning Hogwarts students and set a good example for all.

As an added bonus, you will not only be provided with your own compartment on the Hogwarts Express, you and the Head Boy will be given your own common room and dormitories. You will be expected to act with the grace and maturity that your new position commands, so please do not consider any such tomfoolery that may land you into a world of trouble.

Upon arrival at that school, please see me for further instructions and passwords.

Yours,
Prof. Minerva McGonagall
Deputy Headmistress


Hermione stared at the letter for a moment in disbelief. Head Girl? My own common room and dormitory?she thought wildly. That seems a little...odd. Hermione had to admit she didn’t know of any other Head Boy or Girl in the past having access to their own rooms, but maybe Professor Dumbledore, Hogwarts Headmaster, was trying a different approach this year--an experiment of sorts.

If this is true, I must make certain the Head Boy and I set an excellent example, Hermione thought with a slight nod of her head. There will be no 'tomfoolery' whilst I am Head Girl!

Hermione had to smile; Professor McGonagall was politely skirting the issue of relations between a girl and a boy, but Hermione had no real interest in doing anything beyond snogging with a boy.

Turning her thoughts back to her new postion, Hermione gave an excited scream then dashed down the stairs, calling for her Mum and Dad. When they read the letter, they were very excited for their daughter; Mr. and Mrs. Granger might not know much about the wizarding world, but they knew what being Head Girl meant.

Hermione rushed back up the steps to her room and quickly penned more brief, but happy, notes to her three friends. It was at this moment that Crookshanks hopped up onto the open windowsill.

“Great timing, Crookshanks,” Hermione smiled at her cat, “because I’ve got great news and I need you to get these delivered.”

Crookshanks peered at her in slight annoyance, obviously not wanting to go back out so soon, but he took these letters from Hermione and left once more.

Hermione twirled around the room in utter happiness. She’d be off to Diagon Alley tomorrow to collect her schoolbooks and other items, then the following day would be her first official day as Hogwarts’ Head Girl.

She wondered who Dumbledore had chosen to be Head Boy. Another Gryffindor, perhaps? A Hufflepuff? Who would be worthy? Hermione shrugged dismissively; it didn’t matter right now; she’d find out soon enough. Closing her eyes and grinning so broadly she felt as though her face would split in two, Hermione thought: This was a perfect end to a perfect summer!