Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Toxic by Therinian

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: **This chapter is about Neville and Anya, as well as Ginny.**
"You didn't tell anyone we were meeting here, did you?" a feminine voice whispered from behind a statue Professor Narwick--the eighth headmaster of Hogwarts--located on the first floor.

Neville Longbottom shook his head and brushed a few toast crumbs from his shirt. "Um, no, I didn't tell anyone. Why'd you want to meet here anyway?" he asked, puzzled. "Aren't we going to see each other in Hogsmeade later?"

"Of course," came the reply. "I'm going incognito in a few minutes; it'll be fun! But, Neville, I have something to tell you--something I couldn't keep to myself any longer."

"Is--is everything all right?" he asked nervously. When there came no prompt reply, he continued. "Please come out so I can talk to you properly; I must look ten kinds of ridiculous standing here talking to a statue," Neville said with a sigh.

The girl sighed in exasperation. Instead, she reached around the statue, grabbed Neville's shirt, and yanked him around Headmaster Narwick to face her.

It still shocked him that anyone could like him. The first time they met, while shopping in Flourish and Blotts two weeks ago, Anya and Neville had been interested in the same book: I Toad You So! What your pet is REALLY trying to say.... They began chatting and realized they were in the same House--and a few things in common. Before she was dragged off by her parents, however, Anya promised to send him an owl later that evening.

Neville didn't want to hold his breath, as who would be interested in talking to him? But true to her word, an owl arrived for him after dinner carrying a letter from Anya Borgin. His Gran had not been pleased, for she believed that anyone carrying the name of Borgin was trouble, but she hadn't put up too much more of a fuss, so Neville had been relieved.

From that day, the two conversed via owl post; it was more difficult for Anya, as her parents monitored her mail, but somehow she managed to develop a friendship with him without suspicion.

When they'd caught up with one another on the Hogwarts Express, one thing led to another and soon, Neville and Anya had found themselves kissing in a quiet compartment--that is until Neville saw Luna Lovegood staring in at them in a very interested manner. Thankfully, Anya had not seen Luna, but Neville had been mortified.

"Shh! Someone's coming!" Anya and Neville flattened themselves against the base of the statue and watched in silence as Draco Malfoy and Hermione Granger passed by, each seemingly lost in their own thoughts; the Head Boy and Girl disappeared around the corner as they headed toward the Great Hall.

The hidden pair waited two full minutes before speaking again.

"I feel very sorry for Hermione," Neville whispered sadly.

"So do I." There was a strange look upon Anya's face--one, Neville noted, of fear.

“You mentioned him earlier. What’s going on? Is this something I should know about?”

Anya closed her eyes for a moment and inhaled deeply. “I received something from him just before I boarded the Hogwarts Express.”

“What? And you didn’t tell me?”



“I couldn’t! I was too scared. Besides, I was glad for the distraction.”

Ignoring her attempt at humor, Neville blurted, “Anya, I don’t like seeing you upset; please tell me what’s wrong.”

“It was a scarab beetle!”

Neville looked confused, so Anya gave him a lengthy explanation; Draco had found her just before she boarded the Hogwarts Express...

“Anya Borgin?”

Anya had turned at the sound of her name, smiling broadly. “Yes?” Her face had fallen, however, when she saw Draco Malfoy standing in front of her. She knew Draco Malfoy was usually bent on causing trouble, so she felt it only right to be on guard.

“I’ve something for you, something I’m sure you’ll appreciate.” Draco drawled, reaching into his robes and pulling out a small black box. He thrust it out at her then walked away.

Curious, Anya had stared at the box for a moment.
Does Draco Malfoy like me? she had wondered.It was well known that Pansy Parkinson and Draco Malfoy had some sort of understanding, but anything was possible. Feeling a little giddy, Anya had opened the box, then gasped, tossing the the thing to the ground immediately.

Inside the box lay a gold scarab beetle brooch; according to Anya’s family, the scarab beetle meant that death was coming to the person who saw the tiny insect.

Anya had kicked the object as far from her as possible, then pushed her way onto the Hogwarts Express, fearing that Draco Malfoy was waiting for his chance to do away with her.

When nothing happened to her within the first week, Anya had dismissed the possibility of something horrible happening to her. She'd all but forgotten the incident; however, when the brooch showed up yesterday morning on her bedside table, Anya had panicked. This time the brooch was locked in her trunk.


Anya ended the story with a flourish. “Draco Malfoy wants me dead; I know it!”

Neville sat quietly for a few moments, absently watching students wander past. “It’s no secret that Draco’s father is a Death-Eater,” he began slowly. “And your uncle deals with items most wizards would say have dark magic properties. Maybe Draco is delivering some sort of message to you for your uncle.”

Anya was silent for a heartbeat before blurting, “Why didn’t he just go to my uncle? I don't talk to that man; he's made it very clear that he doesn't care for me. Why did Draco give that stupid brooch to me if it's meant for my uncle?"

Neville couldn’t give Anya an answer, but he had a suggestion. “Perhaps we should talk to the Headmaster about this.”

“No! I don’t want to be expelled for bringing a dark magic item into the school.”

“But Anya, you said it yourself; it just showed up here. You didn’t bring it!”

Exasperated, Anya replied, “I’ll show it to Professor Dumbledore on Monday. Right now, I just want to forget about it and try to enjoy what could be the last days of my life. Let's think about something else, please."

Neville looked down at the auburn haired girl. "Like what?"

"How about kissing me?" she replied breathlessly, throwing her arms around him.

Neville didn't need think twice about that.

~*~*~*~*~*~

After breakfast, Ginny Weasley stood in the doorway leading to the courtyard, watching a group of fourth years join the growing number of Hogwarts students taking the trip to Hogsmeade.

I should be in that crowd, Ginny thought bitterly, standing right next to Harry.

Ginny stumbled forward slightly at that moment, as Pansy Parkinson and her band of Slytherin girls pushed past her to join Vincent Crabbe, Gregory Goyle, and Blaise Zabini, all of whom stood directly behind Draco and Hermione.

The redhead's hand went to her wand in her pants pocket, but she held back, for Professor McGonagall came up behind her and put a hand on Ginny's shoulder, giving her a stern look.

With a sigh, Ginny decided to return to watching the crowd. She saw Draco Malfoy, who kept looking over his shoulder at Crabbe and Goyle, while her friend Hermione chatted with Ron and Harry. Ginny almost laughed aloud; she didn't need to be standing over there to know there was quite a bit of tension in the cool, crisp air.

Ginny's gaze swung back to Harry; he seemed down and she worried about him. Things seemed too quiet for him lately and many times over the last four weeks he expressed his concern; it had been obvious to everyone in the Burrow that if given the chance, Harry would have gone chasing after He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named in order to kill him. It had taken everyone--including Ginny's new sister-in-law, Fleur Delacour--to convince Harry to stay put.

And she was glad he did, for he'd kissed her silly the evening before they left for Hogwarts...

A small breeze kicked up a few fallen leaves that lay in a corner of the courtyard; a handful of students bundled their jackets closer to their bodies. Within the confines of the courtyard, the wind seemed tame, but many knew once they were out in the open, the breeze would be all the more harsh.

Ginny's mouth set mulishly as Argus Filch sneered at her as he passed, bent on collecting all the third years' permission forms. Professor McGonagall gave her usual "be on your best behavior" speech, then the crowd was off.

Harry--who'd spotted Ginny before he turned--gave her a sad smile and pressed his hand to his heart; she smiled sadly in return. Harry then joined Ron, Seamus Finnigan, and Dean Thomas and disappeared with the rest of the crowd.

Turning away from the courtyard, her heart heavy, Ginny wondered where Luna had gotten to; the Ravenclaw girl was supposed to meet Ginny in the Entrance Hall right after breakfast.

Instead, she saw the Headmaster exiting the Great Hall with Professors Flitwick and Sprout. Dumbledore, having spotted Ginny, nodded his goodbyes to the Charms and Herbology teachers before turning to Ginny.

"Ah, Miss Weasley," Professor Dumbledore called as he approached. "I thought I might find you here. You've lost Miss Lovegood, I presume?"

Ginny looked at the Headmaster, confused. "I haven't seen Luna at all this morning, sir."

"How odd. She was in the Great Hall just moments ago; but then again, it could have been an hour previous," Professor Dumbledore smiled good-naturedly. "Time seems to pass by so swiftly for me these days."

"Sir," Ginny piped up, "you wouldn't...consider allowing Luna and I go to Hogsmeade today and we'll just...see you tomorrow?" She looked up at the Headmaster hopefully; if he agreed, she could surprise Harry!

Dumbledore chuckled. "Somehow I knew you would ask that." He thought for a moment then said, "How do you think Miss Lovegood would feel if you volunteered her time for tomorrow? After all, the two of you were to meet me today to practice for Monday and she may have plans."

"Oh, sir, must we?" Ginny pleaded. She didn't want to have to go through with the last part of her detention; it was just too embarrassing.

"A deal is a deal, Miss Weasley," Dumbledore returned lightly. "You'll only have one day to learn the--," he paused, folding his hands. "If you'd like, I could reinstate the arrangements made with Mr. Filch to give Mrs. Norris--"

"NO!" Ginny cried. She cleared her throat and said in a normal tone, "No, sir, please don't." The very thought of bathing and grooming Mrs. Norris made Ginny want to vomit.

Dumbledore smiled slightly. "Very well then. Now about Miss Lovegood..."

Ginny snorted lightly. "Excuse me, Professor, but perhaps she forgot." She seems the type, Ginny thought inwardly, with a small roll of her eyes.

Albus Dumbledore raised his eyebrow at Ginny before sighing heavily and closing his eyes for several long moments. The redhead began to wonder if the Headmaster had actually fallen asleep whilst standing upright, when suddenly the wizard's eyes popped open.

"I believe I must have a small conversation with Miss Lovegood when I see her," Dumbledore said cryptically. He looked down at Ginny over the rim of his half-moon spectacles and smiled. "Why don't you run along to Hogsmeade today; I'll see you tomorrow."

Ginny didn't need further prodding, she turned to race back to the Gryffindor Common Room to get her coat, but stopped short. "Professor," she began tentatively, "what about Luna? If I see her on my way out, should I tell her she can go too?"

"Oh, to be sure, Ginevra, you'll see Miss Lovegood in Hogsmeade." His eyes twinkled with mirth.

Ginny frowned slightly; she hated when Dumbledore spoke in riddles. When the Headmaster turned away, she shrugged and did the same, not giving anything but Hogsmeade--and Harry--another thought.