Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Toxic by Therinian

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Draco drummed his fingers impatiently on the countertop of Gladrags Wizardwear; he sighed loudly once more to show his boredom and displeasure, but Hermione seemed not to notice.



The frizzy-haired witch was intently studying three different pairs of socks; she rubbed them, stretched them, and held each one up to the lamp light.



Draco had wanted to strangle Hermione with a pair of socks the moment they'd stepped into Gladrags; she'd told him they were going to "nip in there for a moment", but Draco soon realized what a lie that was.



The girl had found something wrong with nearly every pair of socks placed in front of her!



He couldn't believe it took close to forty-five minutes to choose--and purchase--a pair of damned socks. Granger had looked over nearly four dozen pairs before narrowing it down to the three in front of her.



"Too small," she'd stated. "Too fuzzy." "Too large." "Too flashy." Hermione had an excuse for almost all the socks the shopkeeper showed her.



I would have just grabbed the first damned pair I laid eyes on, Draco thought moodily. Shopping with Hermione Granger is a nightmare!



Hermione's stillness over the final three choices was really bothering Draco. "God, Granger," Draco sneered. "They're just socks. Pick one and let's get the bloody hell out of here." He wanted to get back to Hogwarts with the utmost quickness; Draco was already tired of the odd looks from the witches and wizards they'd passed on the street--and they'd only been in Hogsmeade for two hours.



"I will not!" Hermione snapped at him, her eyes flashing. "These socks are for my cousin and I'd like them to be comfortable as well as durable." She laid her hands on the middle pair--red and gold argyle knee socks--and looked at the shopkeeper with a smile. "I'll take these," she said, handing the woman a silver Sickle.



The witch behind the counter wrapped Hermione's purchase, giving Draco a small frown. She was used to impatient students from Hogwarts, but this one seemed to take the cake. She handed the brown paper-wrapped socks to Hermione and murmured, "Have a nice day, dear."



Draco and Hermione exited the shop and made their way over to Scrivenshafts, much to Draco's displeasure. He'd had hoped Granger would have forgotten her resolve to go, but away they went--and him following along like a little dog.



He felt quite ridiculous, but knew that cooperation was the only way out of their situation. How they'd achieve that was beyond Draco, but he swore to himself that he'd give it a try--no matter how horrid and disgusting it might seem.



What am I supposed to do, anyway? Draco growled inwardly. Am I supposed to get down on one knee and spout Shakespearean poetry--or swear undying loyalty to her? Never!



His thoughts were interrupted when he saw, out of the corner of his eye, Scarhead and Weasleby ducking into an alcove. Draco's gaze narrowed a bit and he opened his mouth to say something to Hermione, but thought better of it--at least until he could figure out what those two were up to.



They passed Pansy Parkinson and Blaise Zabini, who were standing outside Scrivenshafts. They were spying on him and Hermione! Draco deducted. They all were!



He wanted to tell them off, but decided now wasn't the best time--especially not in such a public place; someone might report to his father what they'd seen.



Thankfully, Hermione didn't take long to decide what she wanted to purchase in Scrivenshafts, as the only thing she'd needed was a replacement quill and another bottle of ink.



"Can't we just go back to Hogwarts?" Draco asked as casually as possible once they'd exited the shop.



Hermione sighed. "Malfoy, honestly! You need to relax a little; I thought you'd want to get away from all the snickers and stares of the students at Hogwarts!"



Draco rolled his eyes. "Oh, yeah," he replied, his voice dripping with sarcasm, "we're not getting any looks from the folks in Hogsmeade; none at all."



"Good," Hermione replied, not really paying attention. "That would be quite embarrassing otherwise, wouldn't it?"



They moved to the front of Honeydukes Sweet Shop, which was bustling with activity. Hogwarts' students and adults alike were buzzing around the entrance, their pockets filled with all sorts of sweets, laughing and chatting about their favorite treats.



Hermione, who normally shied away from candy because her dentist parents frowned upon it, grinned broadly--her eyes lighting up at the Halloween candy display in the shop window.



Draco was taken aback momentarily, surprised at the childlike wonder on Hermione's face. Involuntarily, he found himself smiling along with her.



She's actually quite nice to look at when she's not being so angry or stuck up, Draco thought absently, his gaze softening the tiniest of bits. What interesting eyes--and those lips...



A stray lock of brown hair had escaped Hermione's wool cap, and Draco brought his hand up to to brush it away, but caught himself. Immediately, he felt as though someone had tossed a bucket of iced water on him; his insides lurched painfully. What am I saying? his brain screeched. WHAT AM I DOING?



At that moment, Hermione's gaze shifted from the window to Draco. When she saw the odd look upon his face, Hermione's gasped.



"Is-is everything all right?" she asked, her voice shaking slightly and her skin prickling under Draco's penetrating gaze.



The Head Boy blinked a few times, as though realizing where he was and what was happening and replied, "Yeah, sure." He coughed uncomfortably and smoothed his white-blonde hair back. "Er, did you want to go inside?" He jerked his head towards Honeydukes.



A loud noise from behind them caused both Hermione and Draco to jump in alarm and look around. There, not five feet away, stood Pansy Parkinson with Draco's usual gang of Slytherins. Every one of them had an amused sneer on their face; it was obvious they'd witnessed the awkward moment between the Head Boy and Girl.



"What's so funny?" Draco growled, determined not to turn red with embarrassment. Absently, he grabbed the back of Hermione's coat when she attempted to step forward and confront Pansy. "Come to laugh at us some more?"



"Why, Draco, I'm hurt," Pansy purred, slithering forward like a snake. "How could you think I'd laugh at you?" She glanced sideways at Hermione and continued, "Her, perhaps, but certainly not you!"



"That's odd!" Hermione burst out, not noticing that Draco had gone quiet. "You did quite a bit of laughing at him the other day! Do I need to remind you of when that was?"



"You shut your mouth, Mudblood!" Pansy hissed, rounding on Hermione. "You're not part of this conversation!"



"That's a bit ridiculous, don't you think, Pansy?" Draco finally spoke up, his tome quite cool. "After all, Hermione and I are--in so many words--one person right now. Whatever important thing you believe you have to say will just have to be said in front of her."



Hermione shot Draco a curious look, but said nothing. Is he finally getting it? she asked herself. Is Draco Malfoy actually learning how to be...cooperative?



At those thoughts, a shiver shot through Draco and Hermione. A strange suctioning noise began to build, growing louder and louder with each passing second. Several passersby stopped in their tracks to look at Draco and Hermione, who begun to rise a few inches off the ground.



"What's happening?!" Draco shouted over the sound. Hermione, who was just as bewildered, merely shook her head in fright; she had no explanation for once.



When the noise grew to near deafening proportions and many shops emptied out onto to the road to get a look, the spectacle ended. With a loud pop, the Head Girl and Boy fell away from one another, landing in the dirt with a THUD.



There were several moments of eerie silence. Suddenly, many who'd witnessed the awesome display clapped and cheered, thinking Hermione and Draco had just put on a show. Most people went back to their business, but Pansy, her fellow Slytherins, and a few others remained rooted to their spots, unable to believe what they'd just seen.



Slowly Draco got to his feet. Automatically, he put out a hand to help Hermione up. When they stood facing one another, each looked thoroughly confused.



Hermione spoke first. "It's too soon for our fifteen minute reprieve," she said slowly. "Why are we apart?"



"Maybe the spell wore off?" Draco asked hopefully. "You know, it was a timed thing?"



With a shake of her head, Hermione replied, "That can't be; Professor Dumbledore said we had to break the spell."



"Well, maybe it's defective," Draco snorted. "And there's only one way to find out for sure."



When Hermione tilted her head and gazed at him quizzically, Draco grinned and shouted, "Run!"



Each took off like a shot, galloping away in opposite directions, garnering even more shocked looks and comments from onlookers. When each had moved more than one hundred feet away from the other--and didn't get pulled back together by magic, they knew the spell was no more.



Draco and Hermione ran back toward one another, laughing. "We did it!" Draco shouted, lifting Hermione off the ground and spinning her around. "I don't know how, but this feels great!"



Hermione, still chuckling, panted, "It certainly does! Wait until Harry and Ron see this!"



"We all ready have."



Hermione spun around to see Harry and Ron standing to the left of Pansy and the small group of Slytherins, each boy looking quite cross.



"Oh, Harry!" Hermione gushed, racing up to the dark-haired boy with the round glasses. "I'm free! Isn't that wonderful?"



"Sure it is," Ron replied instead, his tone quite flat. "But what in blazes was going on there just before that?" His tone became quite accusing, which confused Hermione.



"What are you talking about?"



Pansy stepped forward at this. "We saw the two of you, Granger," she retorted angrily, her eyes flashing. "You two looked like you were about to have some sort of pathetic romantic moment; it was quite disgusting if you ask me."



Several people nodded, including Ron. Harry, however, made no sound or movement; he kept his steely gaze upon Draco.



"What's your problem, Potter?" Draco spat, stepping close to Harry. "Are you angry because you couldn't spend the kind of time I did with Granger?"



Harry growled and pulled his wand out of his jacket pocket; Draco did the same.



"Stop it!" Hermione shouted, quickly stepping between Harry and Draco. She looked at the Head Boy and said calmly, "Draco, thank you for helping me break the spell, but now I think we should go about the day with our friends." She gave him a pleading look, as though to tell him not to argue.



Draco frowned, but inclined his head; he gave Hermione one last odd look, then turned on his heel and walked away. The small band of Slytherins, still led by Pansy, followed suit.



Hermione gazed after him, feeling a sense of loss, but couldn't say why that was.



*~*~*~*~*



Neville looked around Madame Puddifoot's in silent wonder. Why Anya wanted to come in here was beyond him; he though someplace like The Hogs Head would have been more appropriate, as not too many students went there--meaning they'd have less of a chance being spotted together.



The golden cherubs are little tacky, Neville thought with a frown. "Anya," he whispered to his girlfriend, "tell me why we're here again?"



Anya looked at him over the rim of her teacup. "I like the tea," she murmured. "Besides, I think someone was following us."



"Who?" Neville craned his neck to look around the shop.



"Don't look!" Anya scolded, snatching his shirt and turning him around to face her. "But if you must know, I think your friend Looney Lovegood is lurking outside."



Neville frowned, wanting to turn in his seat, but thought better of it. "Luna has detention with Ginny today; she can't be here in Hogsmeade."



Anya raised an eyebrow. "Really? Well, maybe you can explain why Luna and Ginny are now outside the window, apparently arguing."



This time, Neville did turn around. He was taken aback at the sight of his two friends just beyond the slightly frosted window, speaking to one another. While Luna appeared to be calm and collected, Ginny was gesturing wildly and pacing back and forth.



"Perhaps I should go and talk to them," Neville said, rising from his chair; he hated when his friends didn't get along.



"Oh, Neville, please don't!" Anya cried, tugging on his sleeve. "I don't want them to see us; I'm...just not ready for that."



Neville sighed, rubbing his hand across his forehead. "Anya, I like you, really I do," he began slowly, "but this sneaking around is killing me!"



Anya lowered her eyes. "I know; it's hurts me too, but I worry about what my parents will say if they know I have a boyfriend!" she paused then added, "You do realize Luna's father owns The Quibbler?"



Neville stared at Anya blankly. "And that has to do with us, how?"



With a deep quivering sigh, Anya replied, "She's probably spying on us so she can tell her father--and he'll put it in his paper!" Tears began to form in her eyes.



Neville sat down. "Do your parents even read The Quibbler?" he asked gently, handing Anya a napkin.



The red-haired girl dabbed at her eyes. "No, but they know people who do, and I just get so worried! I don't want to leave Hogwarts--or you!"



Neville swatted at one of the golden cherubs that began circling his head, tossing pink confetti onto him. "Would it make you feel any better if I talked to Luna?"



Anya gasped and shook her head violently. "Please don't," she whispered.



Scooting his chair closer to Anya, Neville took the girl's frail hand and said in a low voice, "I care about you very much, Anya. But what about you? Do you trust me?"



Anya sniffled, but nodded her head.



"Then let me take care of this, all right?" Neville gave Anya a meaningful look. The girl smiled, then leaned in close to kiss her boyfriend, not caring at all that the little golden cherub was dumping pink confetti into her teacup.