Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Toxic by Therinian

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
"Wot's the right way to tame a Kelpie?" Rubeus Hagrid was asking Monday morning, during his Care of Magical Creatures class. Both the seventh year Gryffindors and Ravenclaws had gathered at the edge of the lake, each wondering why they were there. A slight rippling upon the water's surface made several students gasp in excitement; were they going to see a Merperson--or the Giant Squid?

When no one readily responded to Hagrid, everyone turned to look askance at Hermione Granger. Why hadn't she responded, as she was wont to do? It took a moment for all to realize that the bright witch was staring at her feet.

"Hermione!" Harry hissed, nudging her with his elbow.

The Head Girl jumped, cried out "Oh!", blinked many times, and reddened; everyone, including Hagrid, was looking at her, apparently expecting her to say something!

"Er, I...what was the question?"

Almost everyone gasped; it wasn't like Hermione Granger at all to not pay attention in class!

"You all right, 'ermione?" Hagrid asked, clapping a beefy hand on the girl's shoulder and gazing at her with concern.

Hermione reddened once more; "I'm fine, thank you, Hagrid. I've just got alot on my mind at the moment--"

"Probably Draco Malfoy," someone hissed. Hermione whipped around to see who had said that, but all faces were showing curiousity and concern. Maybe I imagined that? she wondered, attempting to plaster a smile on her face. Out of the corner of her eye, she noticed Ron and Harry frowning.

Hermione cleared her throat and brushed a lock of her bushy hair out of her face. "I'm sorry, Hagrid; how rude of me. Please, repeat the question."

Hagrid did and Hermione promptly gave him the answer. A moment later, Hagrid waded into the water and, tugging on the rope he'd held in his hand, pulled a Kelpie to the surface. Many students marveled at the creature and asked to touch it. Hagrid readily agreed and soon nearly all of the class was slipping off their shoes and socks and tying up their robes.

Everyone but Harry, Ron, and Hermione.

"What's wrong with you?" Ron hissed at Hermione, his eyes narrowed in suspicion. "You never act like that!"

"Where is it written that I must pay attention all of the time? I am sorry to disappoint, but I do think about other things sometimes!" Hermione shot back, placing her fists on her hips.

"About what?" Ron asked, his voice filled with sarcasm. "Wait; don't tell me...that git Malfoy?"

Hermione's blood ran cold; she tried to keep a straight face, but something in her eyes caused both Ron and Harry to flinch.

"Hermione," Harry began gently, "what’s going on?"

The Head Girl said nothing for a long time; how could she tell her two best friends that she kissed Draco Malfoy? Would they believe her--or worse, would they hate her? Hermione deducted that Ron would probably stop speaking to her, but Harry...?

Hermione was still coming to terms with the fact that a kiss had even occurred. It wasn't her first kiss, but it was the first kiss that had affected her. Was she so moved because it happened unexpectedly--or was it because it was given by Draco Malfoy--someone who has always hated her?

And what must he think of her now? Draco said nothing to her all morning, not even a civil "hello" when they saw each other in their common room before classes; he'd actually given her a contemptuous look before leaving the room. Hermione's heart had sunk at the moment and she was unsure as to why.

Hence, she thought about it all morning; was he mad at himself? Her? What had she done to upset him? Why was he avoiding her?

"Hermione?"

Hermione turned her head to look across the lake. "I don't want to talk about it right now, Harry. You do understand that, don't you?"

A pained look crossed Harry's face, but he nodded. Ron, on the other hand, blew up.

"Bloody hell, Hermione--have you been snogging Malfoy?" he nearly shouted, his face and ears reddening to a deep scarlet. The students in the water, including Hagrid, turned to look at them, surprise registering on their features; the Kelpie dipped below the surface in fear, showing only its eyes, ears, and nostrils.

"Malfoy ‘s a sodding git--a heel!" Ron raged on, pacing along the lake's edge, fire burning in his eyes. "He's rude, arrogant--and he hates everyone--but mostly you, because you're nothing but a 'filthy Mudblood'--" Ron stopped suddenly, realizing what he’d just said. "Oh! I --I meant--er, that is--" he fumbled apologetically, looking for the right words to say.

But it was too late; Hermione--and several others--gasped, clearly shocked, tears brimming at the corner of her eyes. She took a deep breath and the tears seemed to dissipate instantly as her hand balled up into a fist.

Harry, sensing something horrible about to happen, grabbed Ron's arm and pulled him out of Hermione's reach. "Not now, Ron," he said in a low voice. Turning to Hagrid, Harry called out, "I think Ron needs to see Madame Pomfrey, Hagrid; may I take him?"

Hagrid, looking as though he wanted to ask what was going on nodded his great shaggy head instead, waving them on with his free hand; he then tried to direct the other students' attention back to the Kelpie. Hermione was grateful, for tears had gathered at the corners of her eyes and she wanted no one to see them; she turned away form the lake's edge, watching Harry drag a protesting Ron all the way back to the castle.

It took several moments for Hermione to calm down. How dare Ron speak her to her like that! She wanted to whip out her wand and send him scurrying away, flames licking at his robes, but then she realized he wasn't actually calling her a Mudblood, he was just quoting Malfoy.

I should have expected this, she berated herself inwardly; if I can't understand what's happening, how could I expect my friends to do the same? Harry and Ron grew smaller, but Hermione was not seeing them any longer; she was lost in thought. To think that I may lose friends because of Draco Malfoy! It was just a ridiculous kiss! It was stupid, tender, and completely wonder---NO! Hermione gasped, turning on her heel to look back at the group gathered at the lake's edge.

"Don't think about that," she muttered, marching forward determinedly, hoping that becoming involved with the activity would distract her. She owed it to Hagrid to try to participate in his class, but a certain someone wouldn't leave her thoughts. "Draco Malfoy is a stupid git. He's a pompous, rude, arrogant snog--I mean snot! Oh, bloody hell...."

Aggravated with herself and the situation, she gathered up her books and walked away from class; Hagrid, who was still talking about the Kelpie didn't see her go, but her classmates--each of whom whispered to each other like mad--spied her exit and wondered what really took place between the Head Boy and Girl...?

Had Hermione Granger had cracked--just like her friend Ron Weasley? they whispered to one another. And was Draco Malfoy the reason?

*~*~*~*

"I would like to find whomever composed this ridiculous song and turn him into a sodding teapot," Ginny growled, once again looking over the sheet of paper Dumbledore had given her.

She and Luna were in the Great Hall; Dumbledore had asked them to arrive before anyone else, so they could go over their "bit of entertainment" one last time.

Ginny glanced over at Luna, who had traded in her radish earrings and now had set of teabags dangling from her ears; she was also wearing a hat shaped like a teapot, complete with whisps of steam puffing from its spout. The redhead rolled her eyes; Luna was taking this act much too seriously!

Luna hummed the song, making the now-familiar motions with her arms. "I think it'll be great fun," she smiled. "Daddy says that doing things you don't like helps you appreciate them more, so perhaps you'll learn to like Muggle children's verses." She continued humming their song.

Ginny shot Luna an annoyed glance. "I doubt it," she replied evenly. Ginny was about to say more, but a series of muffled voices coming from the door behind the professor's table caught her attention. She waved her hand at Luna, but the blonde girl was too busy flitting about, humming that stupid song.

With a sigh, Ginny decided to see what the fuss was about. It was likely Filch giving a student a stern lecture for being in a restricted area. Ginny grinned slyly; who was getting into trouble this time? She decided to find out. Within two feet of the door, the voices became quite clear.

“I vos not expecting you to be here!” The speaker was clearly shocked.

“Why is that? Did you really think I would run away like that coward you looked up to--Karkaroff?”

Ginny’s ears perked up; that sounded quite like Professor Snape... but to whom was he speaking? Karkaroff? she wondered, What does he have to do with anything?

“I haff never said I looked up to him,” the first voice replied gruffly.

“I assume you are here to give Dumbledore news?” Ginny could just imagine Snape folding his arms and staring down his long nose, attempting to look imposing.


“I haff no idea vhat you are speaking of; I am here for Quidditch.” The stranger sounded confused--and annoyed.

“Likely story; I know all about you,” Snape snarled, “so don’t bother with the disguise. Where’s your mark? Who sent you? What information are you trying to seek?”

There was some movement, then: “I haff no mark! Karkaroff said you vere marked; is this true?”
“That, boy, is none of your business!” Snape barked hoarsely.

This is interesting, Ginny thought, raising one eyebrow. Someone else at Hogwarts bears the mark of You-Know-Who? Ginny learned from Harry that Snape bore a strange mark on his forearm--a mark that meant he was a Death Eater. Ginny had been shocked; a Death Eater--at Hogwarts? But Harry had only said that Dumbledore trusted Snape--and that Head of Slytherin House was working on the side of good now.

However, Harry hadn’t sounded quite so certain and now Ginny suspected why that was: Snape was probably hoping that this person was also a Death-Eater, so he could pass along vital info to him about Dumbledore!

Ginny tried to get Luna’s attention, but Luna had busied herself with creating teacups to spin lazily around the teapot on her head.

“Hopeless,” Ginny muttered. She moved closer, hoping to glean more information, but the voices suddenly stopped and the door was yanked open. Out marched Professor Snape, followed by...Viktor Krum?

Ginny's jaw dropped as she tripped over her own feet, grasping the corner of the table for support. What's he doing here? Is HE a Death-Eater? No! she thought wildly, but immediately something else occurred to her: He's the surprise guest--and I'll wager he's the person I ran into at Hogsmeade! When she righted herself, she was staring up at Professor Snape.

"Looking for something?" Snape’s eyes snapped fire and he looked extremely suspicious.

"I, er..." Ginny glanced at Krum, who was looking quite cross as he absently scanned the Great Hall, rubbing his forearm. Before she could utter another word, Luna let out an excited shriek.

"Oh! There's the sheet of paper we've been looking for!" Luna was suddenly at Ginny's side, snatching the song sheet from the floor. "Thank goodness you found it, Ginevera, or we wouldn't have been able to perform our spot of entertainment for our guest!" Luna looked past Snape to Krum. "Oh, hello," she said with a smile. "Welcome back to Hogwarts."

"What are the two of you doing in the Great Hall at this hour? Shouldn't you be in class--or is that something all of you Weasley's have difficulty doing?" Snape gave Ginny an contemptuous look.

Ginny's face reddened with embarrassment; how dare Snape speak to her thusly--and in front of Krum? Not thinking, she opened her mouth and retorted, "As a matter of fact, I heard you--"

"Professor," Luna cut in quickly, grabbing Ginny'a arm, "you'll be happy to know that we've been learning a new song to sing to our guest." She nodded at Krum, who had taken to staring at Luna's teapot hat.

It was a full minute before Snape said anything. He continued to glare at both girls before snatching the paper from Luna's hand. He scanned it, snorted derisively, then roughly shoved it back at them. "How sweet," his voice dripped with sarcasm. "I can't wait to see the two of you perform this little ditty. Though I don't know why you'd need the practice, Miss Weasley; shouldn't you all ready know this song, seeing how your parents love all things Muggle?" When neither girl took the paper, Snape let it fall to the floor before moving past the girls--Krum close behind him.

It took all that Ginny had to remain calm; it also helped that Luna's hand remained on Ginny's arm, nearly squeezing the feeling out of it. Luna continued smiling even after Snape and Krum walked away, past the floating teacups, the student's tables, and out of the doors into the Entrance Hall. As soon as they disappeared from sight, Luna released Ginny's arm.

"That was pleasant," Luna said airily, smiling broadly. "Krum seems nice; I hear he’s a good Seeker."

"Pleasant!" Ginny exploded, taking note that Luna had actually dug her nails into Ginny's arm. “You wouldn’t say that if you knew--” Ginny halted; she wasn’t certain of anything, so she decided not to say more until she spoke to Harry. Instead, she blurted: "Snape completely embarrassed me in front of Krum!" She wished she could have done a Bat-Bogey Hex on the greasy professor and not gotten into more trouble; at least it would have made her feel better.

Luna put her arm around Ginny and patted her hand consolingly. "Oh, Snape's always grumpy, Ginevra; haven't you noticed? Perhaps his coffin is too small.”