Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Toxic by Therinian

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
At 9:59 on the morning of September 1, Hermione was passing through the barrier between platforms 9 and 10. She allowed her trolley to be taken away, so that her trunks could be placed aboard the Hogwarts Express.

Hermione looked around at the empty platform. Steam billowed gracefully from the train, and porters bustled about, tidying the walkway or straightening benches. She was obviously the first Hogwarts student to arrive on Platform 9-3/4, so Hermione took this moment to step onto the train and ask where the Head Students' compartment was located.

When she pushed open the door to the quarters, she noticed Crookshanks was already asleep on the seat, his ginger hair glowing in the sunlight that filtered through the window.

Smiling at this scene, she removed her badge from her pocket and pinned it to the robe hanging from a hook in the corner of the spacious compartment. Hermione planned on donning the robe when the train left the station. In the meantime, she would wait on the platform to greet the arriving students.

She stepped off the train and saw three students with their parents. One was Justin Finch-Fletchley and the the other two were the Creevey brothers, Colin and Dennis. Colin waved heartily at her, and she stepped over to greet him. He and his brother were excited when they learned she was Head Girl.

Next came the Patil sisters, Padma and Parvati, Hannah Abott, and Susan Bones. All four greeted her warmly before heading onto the train.

Before long, the platform was filled with students and parents, all milling about or calling salutations to one another. Many were catching up on events that occurred over the summer and still others were trying not to cry as they boarded the train. Hermione knew these students were first years, so she tried to cheer them as best as she could, for she knew what it was like being new, scared, and going into the unknown.

When the Weasleys arrived with Ginny, Ron, and Harry in tow, Hermione immediately rushed over to her friends. Mrs. Weasley and Ginny began relaying to Hermione the latest escapades of Percy, Charlie, and Bill, and Harry and Ron had joined Mr. Weasley in a conversation about Quidditch with Neville Longbottom and his grandmother.

"But Arthur, the Kenmare Kestrals haven't won a single game this year!" Neville's grandmother was screeching. "What makes you think they’re headed for the Quidditch World Cup?"

"I have great faith in them," Mr. Weasley nodded solemnly. "Besides, dear woman, they have a new Seeker. She transferred from Pride of Portree."

"Tsk-tsk," the old woman shook her head. "That girl? She's pretty, but bloody stupid. She couldn't tell the difference between a snitch and a quaffle!"

"Now, Gran," Neville said, "She's not that bad."

"That’s no surprise coming from you," his grandmother shot back, "as her photos are plastered all over your bedroom wall!" Ron and Harry laughed as Neville's face turned red.

"So, Hermione," Ginny asked, "have you seen the Head Boy yet?"

Hermione shook her head. "No, I haven't, now that you mention it." She crossed her arms. "Professor McGonagall wanted me to be here at ten o'clock sharp..."

"Which means you were here at 9:59," Ron interjected. Hermione blushed and Ron laughed. She shot him a nasty look; Ron laughed even harder.

"So I am guessing the Head Boy was supposed to be at that time also,"
she finished with a shrug. "But, no, I haven't seen him."

"Maybe he’s already on the train?" Harry suggested. "He could have walked right past you, and you didn't see him."

"True." Hermione agreed. She decided to change the subject; turning to Neville, she said: "I read some great books about Quidditch over the break. Did you know that the 'Transylvanian Tackle' was first seen at the World Cup of 1473?"

Ron rolled his eyes. "Oh, great. Here we go again. Starting early, aren't you, Hermione?"

~*~*~*~*~*~

"Bloody hell," Draco muttered pushing past a couple of third year Ravenclaws. He was late, very late. He should have been at Platform 9-3/4 nearly a half hour ago, but that couldn't be helped.

His mother had wanted to see him off, but as she was still too drunk to even stand properly, Draco had advised against the suggestion. Narcissa had screamed at him, but he was adamant; he would leave for the Hogwarts Express alone.

It took Draco a full ten minutes to peel his mother off of his arm. She had gripped him so tightly that she actually left fingernail marks. "I just want to see my baby off to Hogwarts for the last time," she’d cried. Draco had gritted his teeth. His mother almost never referred to him in that way, and she certainly never came with him and his father when it was time to leave for school.

Narcissa pouted and whined like a petulant child, but Draco knew it was just a result from the alcohol. When he left the manor, his last glimpse of his mother was of her thin body crumpled on the entrance hall floor, her face in her hands, being comforted by a house-elf.

Shaking the image from his head, Draco strode towards the train. He saw many students moving about, and easily spotted Crabbe and Goyle, as they were the largest and tallest students in the bunch. He tilted his chin up in greeting. In response, the two boys began pushing students out of the way, clearing a path to get to Draco.

"Hey, Draco," Crabbe grunted. Goyle nodded his head.

"Crabbe, Goyle," Draco responded looking from one boy to the next.

"How was your summer?" Crabbe asked.

Draco’s upper lip curled briefly. "Wonderful," he retorted sarcastically.

"Oh, yeah? Well, so was mine," Goyle replied, completely missing the tone in Draco's reply. "My dad and I went to the St. Mungo's Charity Quidditch Match in Mexico."

"Really?" Draco's eyebrow shot up. "Do you even know where Mexico is?"

Goyle looked confused. "Huh?"

"Never mind," Draco snorted. It seemed Goyle hadn't changed much over the summer break. He decided to change the subject.,"Dumbledore made me Head Boy."

His two hulking friends congratulated him and joked a bit about how Draco's new status would be great for Slytherin. As Crabbe and Goyle went on, Draco let his mind wander. Out of the corner of his eye, he saw Hermione Granger greeting the Weasleys and Harry Potter. He snorted quietly.

At least I'll have a compartment away from those three, he thought to himself. The stench from Granger and Weasley alone might kill me.

Draco interrupted Crabbe and Goyle to inform them that he needed to find his compartment. In reality, he wanted to find that Borgin girl and give her her sodding gift. Why Mr. Borgin didn’t just use the bloody Owl Post was beyond Draco, but at least this was now a good way to have a few moments alone.

As he walked away, he felt a sense of relief; the two larger Slytherins were somewhat boring him, and he was glad he'd found an excuse to get away.

~*~*~*~*~*~

"ALL ABOARD!"

The conductor was calling for all Hogwarts students to board the train. Hermione left Harry, Ginny, and Ron, promising to check in on them later. She scurried aboard the train, getting elbowed in the process by Pansy Parkinson. The taller Slytherin girl smirked at Hermione, before stepping on Hermione's foot as she passed. In response, Hermione pulled her wand out, pointed it at Pansy and muttered "Audius Lepus".

Suddenly, laughter interrupted from the crowd of students waiting to board. The Slytherin girl behind Pansy hissed "Your ears!". Confused, Pansy put a hand to one ear. She promptly shrieked and tore off into a nearby compartment, but not before the hysterical crowd got a very good look at her furry, brown rabbit ears.

Still smiling, Hermione boarded the Hogwarts Express. She caught a glimpse of several students crowding around something in the passageway, so she went to investigate. The crowd parted to reveal Crookshanks, who was allowing himself to be petted.

"Oh, what a sweet kitty!" One Ravenclaw girl exclaimed.

"Yeah," another boy replied, "but he’s still really ugly. Look at his face!"

Hermione glared at the boy and took Crookshanks into her arms. The students dispersed, leaving the Head Girl alone with her cat.

"You naughty boy!" She scolded. "What are you doing out of my quarters? Better still: how did you get out?"

Crookshanks purred in reply, sounding much like a motor.

"Your little secret, huh?" Hermione smirked, trying not to laugh. Feeling a bit exasperated, she made her way down to her compartment, intending to find out how her cat could have gotten out into the hall.

~*~*~*~*~*~

"I see she’s already been here," Draco muttered, as he sat down on one of the seats in the Head Students' quarters. A black robe with the Head Girl badge hung neatly in the corner.

Well, whoever she is, she's not very responsible, Draco thought snidely. Left the door open for anyone. Someone could have taken something. Not that he really cared. If the new Head Girl wanted her belongings stolen, that was none of his business.

The door opened again. Draco smoothed his white-blonde locks back and stood up, ready to greet the Head Girl, hoping to charm her socks off.

But the person who came through the door was not whom he was expecting.

Hermione Granger and her ugly cat loomed in the doorway. She was giving him a rather quizzical look.

"What are you doing in here, Malfoy?" She asked, her voice full of contempt. "This compartment is reserved for Head Boy and Girl. Get out."

"Well, then maybe I ought to tell you the same thing," Draco shot back.

"What?" Hermione cried, releasing Crookshanks onto one of the seats. "You’re crazy. I'msupposed to be here! You're not. So please leave, before I hex you."

It took a moment for Draco to understand the situation. "Bloody, sodding hell!" He groaned, when it hit him. "Damn!"

Hermione's mouth fell open. "Just what is your problem, Malfoy?"

Draco paused before answering. He wanted to make this good; he wanted to remember the look on Granger's face for the rest of his life when he uttered the following words:

"I'm Head Boy."