Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Toxic by Therinian

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
"This can't be happening; this can't be happening," Malfoy was muttering, as though repeating the words would make things true. However, it was just the opposite; he and Hermione were bound together by magic and nothing, it seemed, could separate them. This was a direct result of Hogwarts’ Headmaster putting them together as punishment for dueling in the corridors the previous night.

At the moment, the pair stood outside Dumbledore's office, trying, without much success, to learn how to walk normally.

Draco insisted on leading, nearly dragging Hermione along. In retaliation, she dug in her heels, causing Malfoy to stumble and both to fall headlong into the floor.

"Why must you do that?" Malfoy asked, outraged, struggling to rise to his feet for the third time. "Stop being so damned mulish!"

"Mulish!" Hermione cried. "If anyone's being bloody mule, it's you! Why do you have to lead?"

"I'm a Malfoy,” Draco replied simply, as though that ought to explain things, "and Malfoy's are born leaders."

"Famous words from the son of a follower!" Hermione shot back.

"Shut your mouth, Granger," Draco snapped. "You're just a filthy little nobody who can't mind her own business!"

Talking seemed to be physically painful for Malfoy; each syllable that left Hermione's mouth caused Draco to flinch. This did not deter Hermione. I'm going to do this, even if it kills me, she told herself, trying to pretend that being stuck to Malfoy was just another hour in Potions class. Deep down she knew this was more serious, but taking an open-minded approach seemed to be the only way she could feel in control.

"This is just like a Muggle game I played when I was six years old," she began aloud, forcing herself to remain calm. "It's called 'The Three-Legged Race'."

Malfoy looked at her, annoyed. "Granger, this is no game."

"I know that, Malfoy," Hermione scoffed. "Would it kill you to just listen for once?" Draco opened his mouth to retort, but she cut him off. "Forget I said that."

He stared at her woodenly, but did not make any remarks. Hermione decided to plunge ahead. "In a 'Three-Legged Race', two people stand together, with one leg and foot touching. Those appendages are then bound together with a scarf or something similar. Then the duo must run really fast towards a finish line on, er, three legs."

Draco stared at Hermione as though she’d suddenly grown three legs. "That sounds ridiculous!" he spat. "Who in their right mind would voluntarily tie themselves to another person?" Hermione tried to reply, but Draco was not finished. "Oh, I forgot--only Muggles and Mudbloods. It’s a wonder your kind isn’t extinct."

Hermione rolled her eyes. "You should try it before you criticize."

With a hollow laugh, Draco replied, "Might I point out, Granger, that I am doing just that and not by choice. Besides," he continued, "I would never play a pathetic Muggle game."

"You're such a snob, Malfoy," Hermione retorted.

Draco glared at her contemptuously. "I'm not a snob, Granger. I just have high standards; though you'd know nothing about that."

Again, Hermione rolled her eyes, but she said nothing.

"What's this?" Draco's expression now feigned shock. "No witty retort? Goodness! What's come over you?"

Hermione gritted her teeth. She would not let Malfoy get under her skin again, so she politely suggested that they "at least try" walking together or they would only succeed in falling with style.

A synchronized stride was not easily achieved; Draco loudly complained at every turn. Hermione nearly gnashed her teeth down to little stubs--something her dentist parents would not have liked to see.

They continually paced the Headmaster's corridor, ignoring the odd looks from Professors McGonagall, Flitwick, and Trelawney. The teachers were not a problem; it was facing the other students that had them worried.

Hermione could hear Draco muttering "right, left, right, left," under his breath. She tried not to laugh out loud. Instead, she casually asked him if he frequently spoke to himself.

"No, I do not!" Draco snapped, outraged. Then he sighed loudly. "You know what bothers me about this?"

Was he was actually confiding in her? Hermione couldn't believe it. "Besides being stuck with me?" she asked flatly.

"What in the bloody hell will our friends say about this?" Draco said in a low voice, apparently not hearing, or ignoring, Hermione's sarcastic remark.

Her eyebrow shot up. "You have friends?"

"This is vastly amusing to you, isn't it Granger?" Draco scowled at her.

"Right, Malfoy," Hermione replied with a hint of sarcasm, sounding much like Harry. "Being stuck to you is loads of fun." They glared at each other in annoyance.

Draco broke the silence. "Was Dumbledore allowed to do this?"

"We could have gotten expelled!" Hermione informed him, as though it were the worst thing in the world. "Would you like to go back and tell him, 'Oh, no, Headmaster, being stuck to the "Mudblood" is just too awful. Please, please, please expel me!'?"

"The thought had crossed my mind."

"You're stupid, Malfoy," Hermione retorted exasperatedly.

"Well, you know what, Granger?" Draco said glaring at her. "This is no trip to Hogsmeade for me. Do you have any idea how this will look?"

"Why do you care?" Hermione said loudly. "You're a Malfoy, therefore completely devoid of feelings!"

There was a moment of strained silence as Draco's gray eyes bore into hers. "You don't know how wrong you are."

Feeling uncomfortable under his penetrating stare, Hermione looked away. "Professor Dumbledore said there was a way to become unstuck; we just have to figure out what it is."

This time, Draco's eyebrow shot up. "Maybe the answer is in one of those damned books you've always got your nose in."

So much for being civil, Hermione thought dryly. Out loud she said, "Are you thick? This spell was done without a wand! Wand-less magic is impossible to break! I don't believe there's a counter-spell in any book." She paused, putting a hand to her growling stomach. "I'm hungry. We should head down to the Great Hall for breakfast before classes start."

Draco said nothing, but his face turned ashen.

"We can't hide up here forever, Malfoy," Hermione reminded him gently. "We should try to go about our business."

Draco turned his steely gaze on Hermione once again. "How do propose we do that, Granger?" he asked, his voice dripping with sarcasm. "We have just two classes together and we're joined at the hip. Have you got any other bright ideas in that frizzy head of yours?"

Hermione said nothing, suddenly feeling very sad and not knowing why.

"Ah-ha!" Draco crowed triumphantly. "The mighty Granger is stumped!"

"I hate you, Malfoy," She retorted scathingly, pushing aside the odd sensation she’d been feeling. "Did you know that?"

"So you've told me," Draco replied with a snicker, "on more than one occasion."

~*~*~*~*~*~

The arrival of the Head Boy and Girl to the Great Hall that morning was cause for much speculation. When Hermione and Draco appeared in the doorway, all conversations ceased; news of the disastrous events the previous evening had clearly been spread about. Draco turned a brilliant shade of red as all eyes swung toward them.

Ron and Harry slowly rose from their seats, looking quite ridiculous with their identical expressions of shock. Draco would have laughed and called out a remark if he hadn't been a bizarre position himself.

"Come on," Hermione said under her breath. She began to walk forward, but Draco didn't move. Several students laughed uneasily as Hermione whipped her head around to give Draco a 'what-are-you-waiting-for?' look.

I can't do this; I can't do this, Draco's mind raced. I can't be seen like this--stuck to Granger; it's too humiliating. My father would be appalled.

"Draco?" Hermione waved her hand in front of his face. Draco snapped to attention, surprised that Granger had actually called him by his given name.

He looked beyond her to see many students now standing; it seemed everyone wanted to get a glimpse of the drama in the doorway. Draco noted that Dumbledore has also risen and was peering at them in apprehensive concern.

Are you wondering now if this was such a good idea? Draco shouted silently. It bloody well isn't! I hate it and I hate you for doing this!

Dumbledore looked at Draco momentarily, then sat back down, turning to Professor McGonagall. Draco could've sworn that the Headmaster had actually smiled at him!

"Are you going to stand there all day?" Hermione demanded. "I'm starving and I want to get something to eat. I plan on going to the library before classes start. I want to finish up on my report about Horneophyton plant for Professor Sprout."

"And just how will you get there if I refuse to go?" Draco wondered sarcastically.

"You're evil, Malfoy."

Draco shrugged. "So I've been told."

"Let's just go, please?" Hermione sighed exasperatedly.

Draco shot her a look of pure venom. "I will not subject myself to utter humiliation."

Hermione made a noise that sounded much like a snort. "You can dish it out, Malfoy, but you can't take it--is that right?"

"This is different," Draco insisted stubbornly, knowing he sounded like a petulant child but not caring one iota.

Before Hermione had a chance to answer, Ginny, Ron, and Harry had appeared. Draco glanced over at the Slytherin table just in time to see Crabbe and Goyle rise from their seats, cracking their knuckles, but neither moved. What are they waiting for? he wondered.

"What's going on here?" Harry demanded, shooting Draco a look of extreme dislike.

"I'm not killing your precious Mudblood, Potter, so cool it," Draco replied scathingly. Ron stepped forward, fists clenched, but he stopped at the sight of Filch, on Draco's left, lurking near the doorway.

"Are you all right?" Ginny asked Hermione, her eyes filled with concern.

Hermione nodded, pushing her bushy hair back. "Every thing's fine, thanks. Why do you ask?"

Ron guffawed and Harry's eyes widened in disbelief. Ginny leaned forward slightly, looked at Draco, then back at Hermione. "well, you seem...different this morning."

This proved to be too much for Ron."DIFFERENT?" he yelled, waving his hands in the air. "MALFOY'S ATTACHED TO MY GIRLFRIEND!"

"YOUR WHAT?" Hermione, Ginny, Harry, and Draco asked in unison, their shocked gazes swinging to the redheaded boy. Draco snickered as Hermione reddened and looked away.

Again, silence fell over the Great Hall momentarily before fits of laughter broke out amongst the students. Draco sneered at Ron, but remained still. Ron, however, realizing all eyes were now on him, smiled weakly then slumped down behind Harry, covering his face with one hand; his ears burned bright red.

"This is just temporary," Hermione said briskly, ignoring Ron's outburst. "Nothing is wrong, Ron, okay?"

"Is it true then?" Ginny queried. "Are you two, um, stuck together?"

"Yes, it's true," Draco snapped. "Come to get a better look at the freak show, have you?" Anger burned brightly in Harry and Ron's eyes, but neither made a move. Ginny, on the other hand, ground her heel into Draco's toes.

Draco jumped back with a little yelp and sneered at Ginny. "You'd better get back to your seat little Weasel, because there's nothing you can do for your brother's girlfriend." This time, Harry needed to be held back. Hermione gasped and half-dragged Draco out of the Great Hall amidst roars of laughter from the students.

~*~*~*~*~*~

Ginny watched Hermione and Draco leave the Great Hall. Her friend’s situation was most troubling; why would Dumbledore, leader of the Order of the Phoenix, put a potential member of the Order together with the son of a known Death Eater?

I’m sure the Headmaster had his reasons, she sighed inwardly, following Harry and Ron back to the Gryffindor table. What they are may never be clear, however...

Her concerned gaze rested on her brother, Ron, as he flopped down on the beach next to Harry. The look of defeat on his freckled face surprised Ginny. His outburst was rather unexpected; she knew Ron cared for Hermione, but to openly admit it--in front of the entire school no less--must have been very difficult for him.

Harry looked almost as miserable as Ron. Ginny raised an eyebrow in interest. This was interesting. Was Harry concerned for Hermione as a friend, or as something more? Ginny suddenly giggled, drawing the boys’ notice.

"What?" Ron asked miserably. "Are you laughing at me too?"

"Don’t be silly," Ginny scoffed. "I noticed something about someone else and found it funny."

"Has Neville found Trevor in Dean’s porridge again?" Harry asked, referring to the toad that Neville Longbottom, another Gryffindor, always seemed to misplace.

Ginny shook her head. "No, Harry. It’s you."

Harry gave her a puzzled look. "Is it my hair?" He ran a hand through his tousled dark locks. "If you didn’t know by now that it always looks like this--"

"No--and forget I said anything, okay?"

Ron and Harry exchanged looks of exasperation, then went back to eating.

As Ginny nibbled on a piece of buttered toast, she wondered what spell Dumbledore placed on Hermione and the boy everyone hated. Ginny thought it had to be pretty complicated, or else Hermione, who knew loads of spells, would have broken it quickly. But then again, Ginny snickered to herself, Hermione would never go against a teacher, let alone the Headmaster.

She contemplated helping Hermione out that bind by looking for and performing, secretly, of course, the spell to separate the Head Girl and Head Boy. It would be tricky, but Ginny immediately thought of someone who could help her: Luna.

Luna Lovegood was a bit strange, but the witch knew quite a bit. Ginny had been impressed with Luna’s uncanny ability to know things, despite going about life in a way many considered to be odd or backward. Neville Longbottom was convinced Luna was a Seer; Ginny believed Luna was exactly like Hermione--only less bossy.

Ginny resolved to speak to Luna before the evening was out. Between the two of them, Ginny was certain they could find a spell to free Hermione from the clutches of that horrid Draco Malfoy.

~*~*~*~*~*~

"What's wrong with you?" Hermione shrieked, once they were clear of the doorway.

Draco crossed his arms. "I shouldn't be in this predicament; it's preposterous. I refuse to set foot in there with a Mudbl-- OW! What in the bloody hell did you do that for?" Draco cried out, rubbing his head; Hermione had cuffed him squarely on the back of his cranium.

"I'm sick--do you hear me?--SICK of your whining! GET OVER IT!" She screeched at him, going quite red in the face. "All I ever hear from you is 'Poor me'! Well, you know what? I don't care!" Hermione's chest heaved as she and Draco glared at one another.

"Are you finished?" Draco drawled lazily, amused that Granger had gotten so mad so quickly.

"No!" Hermione shouted. "I'm hungry!"

"I am too, but you don’t see me raving like a lunatic."

"You would love that, wouldn’t you?" Hermione shot back. "You’d love to tell those precious Slytherins how I fell to pieces over this."

"I won’t argue with you there, Granger," Draco snickered. "But don’t worry; I’ll change your name to protect your reputation." His harsh, mocking laugh grated Hermione’s nerves.

"Malfoy, I hope you choke on your pumpkin juice!"

"Wow, Granger; you’re awfully cranky today," Draco said in an amused tone. "What’s the matter? Did you get up on the wrong side of Weasel’s bed this morning?"

Hermione looked dangerously close to whipping out her wand and hexing him, so Draco closed his mouth and wisely remained silent.

"I’m not going to lower myself to your taunts; it was how we landed ourselves in this situation to begin with, Malfoy," Hermione huffed. "I honestly don’t care what you think of me or this," she gestured to where they were attached. "Just get in there and get used to the jokes and stares, because we'll be getting them quite often!"

Draco almost laughed aloud. Granger had one hell of a bee in her bonnet! He opened his mouth to tell her so, but again thought better of it.

The second attempt to enter the Great Hall went a bit smoother...until Hermione adamantly refused to to sit with the Slytherins and Draco firmly believed he'd contract a deadly disease if he sat at the Gryffindor table.

In the end, amongst the pointing, stares, and shrieks of laughter, Hermione Granger and Draco Malfoy ate breakfast whilst seated on the stone floor of the Great Hall.