Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Harry Potter & the Year of the Dragon by CraftySlytherin

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +

A/N: Thanks to all of my lovely reviewers who are too numerous to name, you all know who you are. I don't own any of these characters, except for Zeppie. They all belong to J.K. Rowling and are all just on one of my mind trips.


Ginny had to put her hands over her mouth to stifle a gasp. What was Draco Malfoy the conceited ferret doing here in her house? Hermione nudged Ginny and pointed towards their room, as the group downstairs headed closer to their location. Quickly they tiptoed back to Ginny's room, softly shutting the door. Both girls put an ear against the door.

"What I wouldn't give for a pair of Fred and George's Extendable Ears right now," Ginny thought, as they heard the group walking up the creaky steps.

"Are you sure it's all right for him to stay, Molly?"

"Yes of course, Moody........the poor dear. But when he comes to won't he try to escape? He doesn't exactly harbor fond feelings towards my family."

"If it is acceptable, I will stay with him tonight. I may not be family, but I'm certain he trusts me."

"Of course, Severus, if you think it best. There are two beds up in Ron's old room. We'll put you two up there for the night. You can make the decision as to how long you'll stay once he's awakened. Draco can stay for as long as is necessary. Good old Dumbledore put up extra protections around the Burrow since Harry's staying for the rest of the summer," Mr. Weasley said.

"I'm sure Mr. Malfoy will be thrilled to no end to find out that Potter is here as well," Snape said sarcastically.

"We'll take him to get his school things with our lot tomorrow, if he'll be going this year. We'll need a group of Order members to serve as guards."

"Of course he'll be going. There's no place safer for him right now than Hogwarts."

"I'll arrange the guard," Moody said. "We'll be by in the morning."

"Mrs. Weasley.....if you please."

"Oh yes, of course, Severus, right this way."

Hermione and Ginny quickly scurried over to Ginny's bed, hopping onto it.

"What in the name of Merlin is Draco sodding Malfoy doing in my house?" Ginny whispered to Hermione.

"I don't know, but it doesn't sound good. I wonder who they found in a pool of blood."

"Maybe we can find out more tomorrow. Mum will have to give us some kind of explanation as to why he's here. I mean, it's certainly not because he's bosom chums with Ron and came to spend time over the break with him."

"No, Ginny, you're right. As a matter of fact, Ron and Harry will both probably be quite mad to see Malfoy here. We'd better try to get some sleep. We'll need our rest in case we have to break up any fist fights tomorrow."

"All right, Hermione. Night." The girls slept fitfully for the rest of the night, questions swarming through their heads. What was Draco Malfoy doing at the Burrow? And what did all the garbled bits of conversation they'd heard mean? For now they could only wonder.

The next morning, Ginny and Hermione rose early and found their clothes already laid out on their beds.

"I'm going to have to have a talk with Zeppie," Hermione said, pulling on her clothes.

"Do you think we should wake up the boys so they'll be able to eat while they have an appetite? I'm pretty sure they won't be hungry once they find out about Malfoy."

"Yes, Ginny, I think that's a great idea. Let's go." Ginny and Hermione quietly made their way down the corridor to Ron's room. They pushed open the door and walked in. Ginny made her way over to Harry's bed. Reaching down she traced her finger along his cheek.

"Wake up, Harry, come and have breakfast with me."

Harry slowly opened his eyes, a big grin spreading over his face. "Sounds good to me, love. I need my energy for all of that shopping we have to do today. I've got some very important things to look for," he said with a sly smile.

Over by Ron's bed, Hermione uselessly tried shaking him awake. "Ron....Ron wake up! We're going down to breakfast." After about three minutes of shaking, Ron grabbed Hermione around the waist and flipped her over onto his bed. Pinning down both of her hands with one of his and sitting astride her, Ron began to tickle Hermione with his free hand.

"This is what you get for waking a fellow up while he's sleeping so nicely!"

"Ron! Ron, stop!" Hermione said between bouts of laughter. She squirmed and bucked beneath him.

"Ron, stop it," Ginny said, "we need you and Harry to come down to breakfast so we can talk to you."

"I don't know.....I'm rather enjoying this," Ron teased. "But since you mentioned breakfast, I'll stop." Ron ceased his tickling of Hermione, who shoved him onto the floor.

"Ouch, 'Mione, you sure are strong," Ron said, getting up from the floor and rubbing his posterior.

"Well you deserved it! Now come on, let's go eat." The foursome made their way down the stairs and into the kitchen. The table was covered in food; bacon, sausage, pancakes, fried potatoes, and a frosty pitcher of pumpkin juice. Mrs. Weasley turned when they entered, a grave look on her face.

"Mrs. Weasley, have you seen Zeppie this morning?" Hermione inquired. "I need to have a talk with him."

"Yes, Hermione dear, Zeppie insisted on going out and taking care of the animals. I couldn't have stopped him if I had wanted to. But right now you lot had better tuck in. We'll be leaving for Diagon Alley soon, and I have something to tell you." Harry, Ron, Hermione, and Ginny sat and made themselves plates as Mrs. Weasley continued.

"This is going to be a bit of a shock. We received an unexpected visitor late last night." Hermione and Ginny exchanged knowing looks. "The poor dear needed someplace safe to stay....he's really in quite a bit of danger. I can't imagine what last night must have been like for him."

"Who is he, Mum?" Ron asked, shoving a sausage into his mouth.

"Well as I said, it will be a bit of a shock. But please keep in mind that he went through a very traumatic experience last night. Our guest is.....Draco Malfoy."

"Not MALFOY!" Ron protested loudly. He slammed his fists on the table.

"Why is that ferret here?" asked Harry, setting down his glass of pumpkin juice a little too hard. His glass cracked and pumpkin juice began to run in little rivers on the table. Mrs. Weasley grabbed a rag and began mopping it up. She looked to Hermione and Ginny for help, hoping they might have a calming effect on the boys. Hermione and Ginny realized that any misgivings they had of Malfoy's presence were nothing compared to Harry and Ron's anger.

Ginny placed her hand on top of Harry's. "Harry love, please don't get so angry. I'm sure if Mum let him stay, it's for a good reason."

Hermione got up and stood behind Ron, wrapping her arms around him and resting her chin on his shoulder. "And Ron, if something terrible really did happen to him, he probably won't be worried about his usual throwing insults our way. Give your Mum a chance."

"As long as he leaves us alone, we'll leave him alone," Harry said with effort.

"All right," Ron agreed, "but if he so much as utters the word mudblood, I'll give him the business end of my fist again."

Hermione hugged Ron tightly and Ginny squeezed Harry's hand. Mrs. Weasley smiled. "There's my good boys, I knew you could be mature about this."

"Has the guard arrived yet?" came a voice from behind them. The foursome turned to see Professor Snape on the stairs. Ron dropped the bacon he'd just picked up into his pumpkin juice.

Molly scurried around the table. "Not yet, Severus, but they'll be here any minute. Would you or Draco care for any breakfast?"

"No, Mr. Malfoy isn't hungry, but that is to be expected. I find my appetite is also gone, maybe due to the sickening sweetness in here," Professor Snape said, eyeing both couples. "Sentiment turns my stomach."

Several loud pops outside the front door announced the arrival of the guard. Mrs. Weasley opened the door to let in Remus Lupin, Tonks, Mad-Eye Moody, and Kingsley Shacklebolt.

"Wotcher, Molly. Are we ready to go?"

"Yes, Tonks dear, as soon as Severus fetches Draco. Was there any sign of.....him last night?"

"No, nothing," replied Remus, as Snape made his way back upstairs. "We've still got search parties out."

"Well, Arthur is going to meet us at the Leaky Cauldron," Mrs. Weasley explained, as Snape returned with a very subdued Draco. Mrs. Weasley looked at Draco with concern and apprehension.

"If he speaks at all today, it probably won't make sense," Snape explained. "Due to the state he was in when I went upstairs, I had to give him a Calming draught."

"The bacon is pretty," Draco said in a slightly slurred voice. Ron and Harry had to try hard to conceal their amusement.

Snape smirked. "You see what I mean?"

"Right then, since we're all here, let's get a move on," Kingsley said, pulling out an empty butterbeer bottle. Everyone gathered round, Draco being led by Snape, and they touched the Portkey. Their surroundings became a blur, and with the familiar pull behind their navels, the group was gone. Moments later they arrived at the Leaky Cauldron to be greeted by Arthur Weasley.

"Right you lot, we're going to split up into smaller groups. We'll be less of a spectacle that way," he explained.

"I will stay with Mr. Malfoy," Snape offered with a scowl, as Draco twirled around looking down at his robes.

"Does this outfit make me look fat?" he asked Ron and Harry with concern.

"No, no it doesn't," Harry replied with badly concealed amusement, as Ron tried unsuccessfully to suppress his laughter.

"I'll go with you, Severus," offered Moody.

"Molly, Tonks, and myself will take these two laughing boys," said Remus.

"Guess you girls are stuck with us," Arthur said, indicating Kingsley and himself. "Let's all try to meet back here at two." After a quick stop at Gringott's, where Harry grabbed a larger amount of money than usual, the three groups split up.


Ginny, Hermione, Kingsley, and Mr. Weasley finished up their school shopping by noon.

"Would you girls like to go for an ice cream?" Mr. Weasley asked.

"Dad, can I get Harry a birthday present first?" Ginny pleaded.

"All right, where would you like to go?" Ginny scanned the street finally noticing a small, corner shop called Orin's Odds and Ends.

"Let's try there first, I've never seen that shop before." They made their way across the street and entered the little shop.

Orin's Odds and Ends was larger inside than it looked. The air in the shop smelled of old things, kind of dusty, but there was an odd perfumed scent underneath the old smell. Tall shelves lined the walls, and four large display cases took up the center of the shop. Ginny began scanning the shelves, which were covered in items of all sorts. There were cauldrons, goblets, jewelry, bottles of potions.....items to numerous to mention.

After looking around the shop for about twenty minutes, Ginny was about to give up. As she approached Mr. Weasley to tell him they could go, something in the very corner of the back display case caught her eye. Ginny rushed over and gasped excitedly when she saw what it was.

"This! Oh Dad, I have to get this for Harry!" she said pointing excitedly. The shopkeeper behind the case reached in, pulled out the item, and handed it to Ginny. After inspecting it, she was even more sure it had to be Harry's.

"I don't know, Ginny," Mr. Weasley said, "that looks like it's quite expensive."

"Nonsense sir, that item is actually seventy-five percent off. We've had it for so long and just want to see someone get some use out of it." The shopkeeper rattled off the price and Arthur, who was quite surprised at how cheap it was, pulled out the money and paid for it. After carefully wrapping Harry's gift, the shopkeeper handed it to Ginny.

"Ginny, that is exatly the perfect present for Harry," Hermione said, as she tucked away the item she had bought for Ron. Their group headed out of the shop.


About the time Ginny and Hermione were entering Orin's Odds and Ends, Harry and Ron were completing their school shopping.

"Er......Moony? I have a few gifts I need to buy," Harry said. Harry intended to buy Head Boy and Head Girl gifts for Ron and Hermione. He also had a few things in mind for Ginny.

"Sure thing, Harry, where to?"

"First off, Quality Quidditch Supplies." While there, Ron was so busy looking at new Chudley Cannons gear, that Harry had no trouble buying a broom servicing kit for Ron's new Firebolt without Ron seeing. Mrs. Weasley had waited outside the shop, which made Harry's purchase for Ginny easier to make.

After those purchases, Harry said he needed to go to the Magical Menagerie. First Harry bought Hermione a cat brush for Crookshanks that, when used on him would magically repel fleas. He then scanned the shop for Ginny's other present. In a box by the front counter, Harry found a puppy. He looked exactly like a Jack Russell terrier, except for his forked tail.

"That's a crup," the shopkeeper said, approaching Harry. "They make great pets and are very loyal to wizards."

Harry reached into the box and pulled out the crup, which began to lick his hands excitedly. "I think you'll do the trick," Harry said, tucking the wriggling crup in his arms. "What do you think, Mrs. Weasley, will Ginny like him?"

"How could she not like him?" Mrs. Weasley crooned, scratching the crup behind his ears. "I think she'll adore him." Mrs. Weasley was too taken by the puppy's cuteness to scold Harry for spending money unnecessarily. Harry paid for the crup and all of the accessories needed for his care, and they left the shop.


The group which consisted of Draco, Snape, and Moody was taking a considerably longer time getting done. This was due mainly to Draco's state from the Calming draught. Snape and Moody had to keep an especially close eye on Draco, as he kept trying to wander off.

"How many shops do we have left, Severus?" Moody asked with exasperation, as he grabbed Draco yet again.

"I believe Flourish and Blotts is our last stop," Snape answered.

"Thank Merlin!" Moody growled, and steered Draco into the shop. As Snape and Moody gathered his books, Draco pawed through a bin of books on sale. Fishing one out, he took a cover in each hand and began flapping them open and closed. A thin girl with long, blond hair watched him with interest, moving closer.

"Looks like a bird," Draco said.

"Yes, I think so too," said the girl in a soft voice. Draco turned to look at her and smiled.

"Your hair looks like yellow gold," he said.

The girl smiled dreamily. "Why thank you, Draco."

Draco was confused. "You know my name? If you know mine, I must know yours. It's-"

"Luna. Luna Lovegood."

Draco smiled. "Will you be my friend, Luna Lovegood?"

"Certainly, Draco," Luna said airily, the dreamy smile creeping back upon her face.

"Come along, Mr. Malfoy," Snape said, taking Draco by the shoulder. "It's time to go."

"Goodbye Draco, my friend," Luna said waving. Draco broke free of Snape's grasp and ran to her. He grabbed her hand and kissed the back of it quickly.

"Goodbye Luna, my friend." Snape regained his hold on Draco, and he and Moody steered him out of the shop.


Back at the Leaky Cauldron, the groups had rejoined and were eating a late lunch before heading back to the Burrow.

"Where are Dad and Harry?" Ginny asked, noticing their absence.

"They had one last bit of business. They'll be along shortly," Mrs. Weasley explained.

Before leaving the Magical Menagerie, the shopkeeper had informed them that they would need a license for the crup. While being loyal to wizards, crups were highly suspicious of Muggles and Squibs and could become fierce to them. A license was therefore required stating that the crup's owner could handle the animal, even in Muggle areas. Mr. Weasley was positive that Ginny could handle the crup, and seeing as how she was never in many Muggle areas, he was off with Harry to get the license. The license had to be obtained from the Department for the Regulation and Control of Magical Creatures.

Finally, Harry and Mr. Weasley returned. Ginny noticed the small, wiggling mass in Harry's arms and ran over.

"Oooooo, Harry! What is he?" she asked, reaching out to pat him.

"He's a crup, Gin. They're very loyal and protective towards their owners."

"So who's his owner?" Ginny asked, as the crup began to yip excitedly and lick her hands.

"You're his owner, love," Harry said, placing him in Ginny's arms.

"Oh, Harry, do you really mean it? You bought him for me?"

Harry nodded. "What will you call him, Gin?"

Ginny kissed Harry's cheek in thanks. "I don't know......what do you think?"


A/N: The information used in this chapter on crups came from Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them. A reminder: I know Draco is not himself in this chapter, but please keep in mind he's under the influence of Snape's Calming draught throughout their whole Diagon Alley experience. Now, I'm taking a page from pandafan81's book. When you leave a review, tell me what you think the name of Ginny's new crup should be!! Be creative :)