Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Harry Potter & the Year of the Dragon by CraftySlytherin

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +

A/N: As always and forever, I don't own J.K. Rowling's characters. I'm just making them do a little dance right now until HBP!!!!


Harry rapidly blinked his eyes to adjust them to the sudden appearance of light. Also, to make sure he was really seeing what he thought he was seeing.

The room was decorated up beautifully with loads of birthday decorations. Shiny silver balloons dotted the floor, perfectly matching the silver streamers that ran from one side of the room to the other. Upon the table sat a large, three-tiered birthday cake decorated with little Snitches and broomsticks. Under a large banner which read, Happy Birthday, Harry, was a rather large stack of presents. And there all around him was everyone in the world that he cared about.

As Harry stood, still unable to say anything, he found himself suddenly flanked by Fred and George Weasley. Each one grabbed one of Harry's arms, and began to drag him through a crowd of smiling people.

"Can you believe it, Fred? Our little Harry's turning seventeen."

Fred sighed loudly. "I know, George. It seems like only yesterday he was learning his first spell." Fred wiped away a fake tear.

"They grow up so fast," sighed George. Harry found himself being deposited into a large chair, where Fred produced a rather garish looking hat. It was shaped like a dunce cap and was bewitched to flash the words, Birthday Boy. Fred promptly slapped the hat over Harry's head as he and George began to sing.

"Duh duh duh duh duh dun, you say it's your birthday! Duh duh duh duh duh dun, it's my birthday too, yeah!"

"All right you too, that's enough," said Mrs. Weasley. "It's time to eat, and your singing is so atrocious that you'll bring poor Harry to tears."

Fred gave George a meaningful glance, and the two again broke out in song. "It's Harry's party, and he can cry if he wants to......cry if he wants to......CRY if he wants to!"

Mrs. Weasley boxed the twins' ears and herded them into the dining room with everyone else not far behind. Everyone but Draco Malfoy. He stood listlessly by the foot of the stairs. Ginny and Hermione noticed him and cautiously approached.

"Um....er, Mal-I mean, Draco?" Hermione asked tenatively. "You could come eat too."

"Yeah," Ginny agreed, "I'm sure there's loads of food."

Draco spoke quietly, not looking at either girl. "Not hungry. Just want to lie down."

"There's plenty of rooms upstairs, if you want to be alone," Ginny offered. Draco shook his head. Instead, he walked over to one of the large couches and laid down, not speaking another word. Mrs. Weasley appeared in the doorway.

"You girls had better get something to eat, or Ron will finish it all off." In her hands she carried a tray of food, presumably for Draco. Ginny and Hermione nodded understandingly, and headed for the dining room. If anyone could get Draco to eat, it would be Mrs. Weasley.


In the dining room, the air was more cheery. The food spread upon the table was nothing short of a feast. There was a roast turkey, chicken pie, bangers and mash, and a large assortment of fried and baked vegetables. After a bit, Mrs. Weasley rejoined everyone. Hermione and Ginny looked at her questioningly.

Mrs. Weasley smiled. "He ate a bit. He's upstairs resting."

After everyone was done eating and the table was cleared, Fred and George brought in Harry's presents. They did this by Apparating from the dining room to the living room and back again, until all of Harry's presents were stacked on the table in front of him.

Mrs. Weasley shook her head. "That's quite enough out of you two. Go ahead, Harry dear, open your presents."

Harry had never in his life received so many presents for his birthday. From Mr. and Mrs. Weasley he received....what else....a new Weasley jumper, with a Snitch and broomstick on the front. Ron gave Harry a new set of gloves for Quidditch.

"It's our last year, mate. McGonagall's gotten so used to having that Quidditch Cup in her office. We wouldn't want to disappoint her."

Hermione gave Harry a new set of quills and ink, with a liberal supply of parchment and a new homework organizer. "After all, Harry, it is our N.E.W.T. year. You'll want to be prepared."

There were many other gifts; books, a new 'thicker-bottomed' cauldron, candies of all varieties, and from Fred and George, a large box of their best products.

"It's your last year, Harry. Make us proud."

Remus' present brought tears to Harry's eyes. Encased in a beautiful, wooden frame with gilded edges, was a Wizard photo of Remus, James, and Sirius during their Hogwarts days. Sirius currently had James in a headlock giving him a noogie, while Remus looked on shaking his head. James and Sirius then ganged up on Remus, doubling him over and pulling his robes up over his head. Harry found himself smiling at the photograph Marauders' antics.

"It's the only one I could find without....Peter," Remus said quietly.

"Thanks, Remus. You have no idea what this means to me. It's brilliant."

Finally there was one gift left; Ginny's gift. Anyone who cared to look at Ginny at that moment, would have seen her fidgeting in anticipation. Harry tore off the wrappings and opened the small box. Inside, there was a man's ring. The band was white gold, with intricately carved stars and moons. The stone set in the band was a teal-colored opal. Harry turned the ring over and looked inside the band. Sure enough, the words Sweet Dreams were stamped inside.

"It's for your nightmares, Harry," Ginny said with a smile.

Harry turned the ring over in his hands. "I wonder if it could have been Godric's and just gotten misplaced." Ginny looked at her own ring, remembering that it had once belonged to Rowena Ravenclaw.

"Thanks so much, love," Harry said. "I'll put this in my school trunk so I don't forget it when we go to Hogwarts." Ginny looked confused, and Harry leaned over to whisper in her ear. "Love, I'll save it for when you can't come climb in bed with me and share yours. I want to enjoy that for as long as I can."

The sound of Mrs. Weasley announcing that it was time for cake was blocked out for Ginny. Harry, pretending to still be whispering in her ear, pressed his lips against her earlobe. Shivers ran all the way down to her toes.

"Potter, you don't play fair!"

"Never claimed to," Harry said with a grin, pulling Ginny to her feet so that they could get some cake.


Hermione watched in amazement as Ron polished off his third slice of cake. His appetite never ceased to amaze her. "Ron, if you're through stuffing your face, I have a present for you. But I want to give it to you in private."

Ron's fork clattered to his plate. "Private? You want to give me something in private?" The naughty grin again came over his face, as he hauled Hermione out of the dining room and up the stairs. Ron pulled Hermione into a dark, empty room. "So, what do you want to give me?" Ron asked suggestively.

"Honestly, Ron, I just wanted to give you-"

Ron cut Hermione off quickly, leaning in to kiss her. Slowly he walked her backwards until her back was against the wall. Ron pressed himself fully against her and continued his unrelenting assault on Hermione's mouth. Just as Hermione was beginning to think that the birthday cake taste of Ron's mouth was better than eating it off a plate, someone stepped into the doorway behind them.

"What do you suppose they're doing, Fred my good man?" Hermione and Ron sprang apart to see Fred and George standing in the doorway, wide grins plastered on their faces.

"Isn't it obvious, George old chap? Hermione has apparently misplaced her tonsils, and dear ickle Ronnykins was helping her find them."

"Or maybe, Fred my dear boy, our brother is secretly a dentist, and he was giving her an 'oral' examination."

In the darkness, no one could see the dark blush that had crept up on Ron and Hermione's faces. Ron was so embarrassed and angry, that he couldn't form a coherent sentance.

"You.....we......stop!"

"What Ron is so eloquently trying to say, is that you two are great big prats!" Hermione said through clenched teeth. "I was just trying to give Ron a present."

"A present? Can we have a present too, Hermione?" George asked, while Fred puckered up his lips and made loud smacking noises. This was finally enough to loosen Ron's tongue.

"Just....leave....please! Can't you two ever just be normal? GO AWAY! If you don't, I'll tell Mum about your newest product." Ron was referring to a new candy they were working on that had, thus far, turned out to be quite explosive.

"Well, George, we'd better go. We wouldn't want Ronnie to tattle on us," Fred said in mock horror.

"Yes, Fred. We'll go so Hermione can finish giving Ron his 'present'."

"See you later, tonsil inspector!" Fred and George left, laughing the whole way.

"Why can't I have any normal brothers around? My only two normal brothers are off in foreign countries. What am I stuck with here? A pair of laughing idiots and a traitor."

"Just forget them, Ron," Hermione said, trying to calm him down. "Besides, I really DO have a present for you." Out of her pocket, Hermione pulled a wand holder. It was shaped like a silver dragon, with two rubies for eyes. The dragon's mouth was wide open, and this was where the end of the wand went.

Ron took the holder from her, examining it with great interest. "It's great, 'Mione! Where'd you get it?"

"I got it at the same shop where Ginny found the Sweet Dreams ring for Harry. Actually, I found two of them." Hermione pulled out another holder, which had her wand in it. "See....they match. I thought they would be nice to have....since our wands have a connection with each other."

Ron pulled Hermione into a tight hug. "I love it, 'Mione. I have something for you too, but you can't have it until we get to school."


Finally, the party was over. All of the guests had returned to their homes. Mrs. Weasley retrieved Draco from upstairs, and their group again used the electrical plug Portkey to return to the Burrow. When they arrived, they immediately saw that something was wrong.

The Burrow had been ransacked. Furniture was overturned, dishes were smashed on the floor, and stuck to the wall with a bloody dagger, was a note. Mrs. Weasley gathered Ron, Hermione, Harry, Ginny, and Draco closer to her as Mr. Weasley inspected the note.

He is mine. I WILL claim him.

"Molly, we've got to get them out of here, now. Take the Portkey and get them back to Grimmauld Place."

"But, Arthur, what about you? What if he's still here?"

"I don't think he is. I'm going to make a quick check and then contact the Order. I'll be right behind you."

"Zeppie!" Hermione shrieked. "Where's Zeppie?"

A weak voice came from the closet under the stairs. "Missy Hermy?"

Mr. Weasley opened the closet to reveal Zeppie hunched in the corner. In one arm he held Crookshanks, and in the other he held Padfoot. Zeppie was covered in fresh bruises, and there was a large, deep cut over one of his large, round eyes.

"Zeppie!" Hermione rushed forward to check on her little friend. Harry and Ron came to relieve him of Crookshanks and Padfoot, and Hermione helped Zeppie out of the closet. "Zeppie, what happened?"

"A bad wizard came, Missy Hermy. He hit Zeppie a lot, tried to make Zeppie tell him where the Wheezys were. Zeppie didn't tell him anything! Zeppie got Missy Hermy's cat and Miss Wheezy's dog and Zeppie got away; hid until the bad wizard left. But, Missy Hermy, Zeppie's new clothes....the bad wizard ruined them."

"It's all right, Zeppie. I can make you more. All that's important is that you got away. You probably saved Crookshanks and Padfoot too. If you hadn't have gotten away and hid....he probably would have killed all three of you." Hermione took Zeppie's hand and led him over to Mrs. Weasley.

"Molly, take them all and go now," Arthur instructed. Mrs. Weasley nodded, and she and the rest used the Portkey to return to Grimmauld Place.

Once there, Mrs. Weasley ran to grab things to dress Zeppie's wounds. Ginny cradled a whimpering Padfoot in her arms, while Harry held Ginny in his. Hermione kneeled in front of Zeppie still holding his hand, while Ron stood behind them holding a distressed Crookshanks. As Mrs. Weasley returned with the bandages, Mr. Weasley Apparated into the living room.

"There was no sign of him at the Burrow. Order members are out searching the surrounding area. Tomorrow, I'll go back to the Burrow with some of the other Order members and retrieve anything that we need."

Mrs. Weasley nodded, as she began to dress Zeppie's wounds. "You'll need to bring back their school things. I'm afraid we'll have to stay here until the start of term."

"It's all my fault." Everyone looked over to where Draco stood. "It's all my fault that you're in danger. It's all my fault that he destroyed your house. You should have never taken me in. I didn't deserve it. All I've ever been to your family is cruel. You should have just left me."

Mrs. Weasley quickly turned the bandages over to Hermione. Rushing forward, she approached Draco and put a tenative hand on his shoulder.

"Of course we shouldn't have left you. None of this is your fault...you shouldn't think that way. I was more than happy to take you in. I won't hear any more of this nonsense." Mrs. Weasley put her arm around his shoulders to lead him to the kitchen. "Come with me. We'll get you a spot of tea and a bite to eat."

"There you go, Zeppie, you're all fixed up. Why don't you run along upstairs and get some rest," Hermione suggested. Zeppie nodded tiredly and started for the stairs.

"And Zeppie?"

"Yes, Missy Hermy?"

"Thank you for saving Crookshanks and Padfoot."

"You is welcome, Missy Hermy. Zeppie will go rest now." With that being said, Zeppie made his way slowly up the stairs.


Later that night, after everyone had gone to bed, Ron and Harry sat up talking about the situation with Draco.

"Imagine having your own dad after you, trying to kill you," Ron said quietly.

"I know....and I can't believe I'm saying this, but I kind of feel sorry for Draco."

"Yeah, it's weird to feel sorry for someone you've hated since you met them."

Further discussion of the topic was cut off by an insistant pecking at the window. Harry looked out to see an owl. He opened the window and let the owl in. The owl perched on the end of Harry's bed, and stuck out it's leg. Harry untied the letter the owl was carrying, and it flew off out the window. Harry opened the letter to find it was from Dumbledore.

Harry, I must give my most humble apologies for not coming to your party. I am afraid that I had pressing business that needed to be attended to. I have, however, sent you a token in tidings of your happy day. It should arrive after this letter. Regards, Albus Dumbledore

True to the letter's word, a group of six owls came soaring in through the window, a large package suspended between them. Again, these owls didn't stay around long. Apparently they were all business. As soon as they dropped the package on Harry's bed, they were gone back out the window.

"Well....open it, Harry," Ron said excitedly. Harry opened the box and pulled out a large, stone bowl. It was green in color, and appeared to be made of jade.

"Whoa! Harry, that's a Pensieve!" Ron said, coming closer to examine it. Inside the Pensieve was another letter, which Harry quickly tore open.

Harry, I thought it might be beneficial for you to have one of these of your very own. You will find it handy as we continue your Occlumency and Legilimency lessons this coming term. Again, I wish you a very happy birthday. Regards, Albus Dumbledore

"Wow!" Ron exclaimed, obviously impressed by Dumbledore's gift. "These are really rare, and this one looks expensive!"

Harry had to admit that he too was impressed. Last year when Dumbledore had given Harry lessons, he had allowed Harry to use his Pensieve. This would certainly be more convenient. Harry carefully packed the Pensieve away in his school trunk, placing the box containing the ring from Ginny inside it. Even with the attack on the Burrow, Harry was thinking that he'd never had a better birthday.


The next few weeks passed without much incident. Just as he had at the Burrow, Draco mostly stayed confined to his room, with Mrs. Weasley bringing him up trays of food and tea. His trays didn't come back quite so unfinished, and it looked as though Mrs. Weasley had slowly started to gain his trust.

Zeppie healed from his wounds quite nicely. He and Hermione had spent some time knitting new outfits, and he now had four, slightly mismatched sets of clothes. True to her word, Hermione had begun paying him, and Mr. Weasley had even set up an account for Zeppie at Gringotts. For saving their lives, Zeppie had earned the trust of Crookshanks and Padfoot. When he wasn't knitting or doing odd jobs around the house, Zeppie cold be found playing with the animals.

As school time grew closer, Ginny's sixteenth birthday arrived. Again, Mrs. Weasley went all out to have a lovely party for her. True to his word, there were no presents from Harry in with her other gifts. That was because Harry had a plan.

When he had bought Ginny's other gift, Harry had arranged to have it delivered to him the day before her birthday. As Ginny came out of the dining room in the aftermath of her party, Harry put his plan into action. Grabbing Ginny from behind, Harry tied a blindfold over her eyes.

"Harry, what are you doing?"

"I need to take you somewhere, love. Just trust me." Harry led Ginny out into a gazebo that stood in the flower garden of the backyard. This was where he had put Ginny's other present.

"Okay, here we are," Harry said, steering Ginny in front of the wrapped package. Ginny tried to pull off the blindfold, but Harry stopped her. "No, love, you have to leave it on." After all, he had promised her that she wouldn't 'see' anymore presents from him.

"Potter, what have you done?" Ginny asked, as she fumbled at the wrappings. When she had torn them off, Ginny ran her hands up and down the now exposed gift. With a loud gasp, Ginny tore off the blindfold to look at what sat in front of her. Harry held his breath as he waited for her reaction.

Ginny smiled for a moment, but the smile soon fell from her face. How could he have spent so much money on her?

"Oh, Harry, how could you?" Ginny asked. She hesitated only a second before turning and running as fast as she could back to the house.

Harry inwardly kicked himself. He should have known she'd be mad at him. He should have handled this differently. Harry silently swore to himself, making up his mind to go after her. Before he left the gazebo, he picked up the Firebolt that had been the cause of Ginny's anger.


A/N: Well, another chapter done in this story which will have.....I don't know how many chapters. I hope you all enjoyed it, and I promise to update again soon! All of you who have reviewed.....YOU'RE AWESOME!! If you haven't read, The Draught of Prospicio, by Burrowbrat, you should definitely do it. It's an excellent story! But please review first!!!!