Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Harry Potter & the Year of the Dragon by CraftySlytherin

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +

A/N: Hello! I'm just your run-of-the-mill fanfic author who doesn't own J.K. Rowling's brilliant characters. I DO however own the situations in which they now find themselves. So, until HBP, enjoy!!! Draco may seem a bit OoC in this story, but please keep in mind what he's been through as you are reading :) A little less than half of this chapter is from his point of view, but it's necessary for developing the direction I'm taking his character in this story. A great big thanks has to go to Chelsea, THE SUPER MOD! Faster than a speeding Snitch......Able to leap tall fanfics in a single bound!!!


Harry stood quietly in front of Ginny's closed door, the Firebolt clutched firmly in his hand. He took a deep breath, and rapped on the closed door with his knuckles. "Gin? Gin, please let me come in and explain."

The door swung open to reveal a very red-faced Ginny. "What is there to explain, Harry? You've gone and bought me an EXTREMELY expensive gift. How can I ever live up to that? I don't have the money to go around buying YOU such expensive things, so why did you do it for me?" Ginny stalked over to her bed and flopped onto it, waiting for an explanation.

"Gin, I saw the way you looked at Ron's Firebolt. I saw the longing in your eyes. I knew you had to have one." Ginny sighed loudly, not saying anything.

"Listen, Gin, this didn't cost as much as you think it did. I bought it used. It didn't even cost me half the price of a new one. Look at the handle and you'll see what I mean." Harry strode over to the bed and tossed the Firebolt down beside Ginny. Ginny closely inspected the handle and saw a name engraved there.

"Sarah Parkin," Ginny read, running her fingers over the engraved letters. Suddenly, understanding dawned on her. "Sarah Parkin? As in THE Sarah Parkin? Sarah Parkin....Chaser for the Wigtown Wanderers?" Harry nodded.

Sarah Parkin played as Chaser for the Wigtown Wanderers, and was an excellent player. For as long as anyone could remember, there had always been a Parkin playing for the Wanderers. The Wanderers were founded by a group of brothers and sisters who were all Parkins.

"But, Harry, how did you get it?"

"Apparently, Sarah Parkin is now testing out a new prototype racing broom. She donated all of her old brooms to charity. The money raised from the selling of her brooms goes to help children from poor Wizarding families who need help buying their school things, like robes and books."

Harry watched as Ginny's barriers began to dissolve. "And," he continued, "with three of us on Firebolts this year, we could be unbeatable."

Ginny looked thoughtful for a minute. "Did the money you paid for the Firebolt really go to charity?"

"Of course, Gin. You should know by now that I love you too much to lie to you."

Ginny leaned in to press a quick kiss against Harry's lips. "All right, Potter, I accept your gift. It really will help to have three of us on Firebolts, and the money went to a good cause. But don't you pull another sneaky stunt like that again. Next time you try it I'll hex you, love of my life."

Harry pulled Ginny into his arms. "Don't worry, Gin love, I have no intention of sparking your Weasley temper again anytime soon." Harry kissed the top of her head, tucking a stubborn, purple strand of hair behind her ear. "By the way, I've been feeling a bit odd today. I think it might mean that I'm going to have a nightmare tonight," he said with a smile.

Ginny smiled right back at him. "Oh really? Well if you do, we'll just have to take care of it, won't we?"


Ron and Hermione sat on the bed in Ron's room, Hermione trying to get Ron to study. "Ron, classes are going to be really, really hard this year, and we leave for Hogwarts in two weeks. If you don't start preparing now, you'll never be able to stay ahead. Now let's study these advanced Charms incantations."

Ron didn't even glance at the book, instead looking into Hermione's eyes. "But I'd rather study your mouth, Hot Lips." Ron leaned forward to kiss Hermione, who stopped him with a hand on his chest.

"Ronald, although the prospect may seem appealing, you can't snog your way through school. You're Head Boy and you have an example to set, not only with your actions, but with your dedication to your classes as well."

Ron rolled his eyes and breathed a heavy sigh. "Okay, 'Mione, put away your teacher hat. I'll study with you, but I expect a rather good snog fest later." Ron and Hermione set to studying, and didn't notice Draco come to stand in the doorway until he spoke.

"Do you have a piece of parchment I could borrow?" he inquired, his eyes never leaving the floor. Hermione jumped up and fumbled around in her bag, finally pulling out some parchment. She walked over and handed it to Draco.

"Thanks," he mumbled, before turning around and leaving.

Ron's eyes opened wide in amazement. "Did Draco Malfoy just.....thank you?"

Hermione sat back down on Ron's bed, picking up her advanced Charms book. "That was a little unnerving; to have someone who's called me a mudblood for years thank me."

"Ahhhh.....young love. Isn't it sweet, Forge?"

"I say, Gred, I'd have to agree with you." In the doorway Draco had just vaccated, now stood Fred and George.

"OH NO, not you two! GO AWAY!" Ron exclaimed, trying to cut them off before they could get started.

"Why, Forge, I believe our ickle brother and his woman are mad at us!"

"Well, we'll have to remedy that, Gred my good man."

"They look like they could use a good laugh, Forge."

"You're quite right, Gred."

"Rictusempra!" they said at once, flicking their wands at Ron and Hermione. Twin jets of light hit Ron and Hermione at the same time. They fell to the floor laughing, holding their sides as they rolled around.

"HA HA HA!" Ron laughed. "You two are the biggest prats in the...ha ha...world. You two are so...hee hee hee....dead!"

Fred looked at George in horror. "Oh no, George! Please don't be dead!" Fred began to frantically check George's wrist for a pulse.

"Oh, Fred! You can't be dead either! Who will run the joke shop with us both gone?" George checked for Fred's heartbeat, as Ron and Hermione continued to laugh riotously on the floor.

"Finite Incantatum!" Mrs. Weasley yelled from the doorway, aiming her wand at Ron and Hermione. Immediately their laughter stopped. She then rounded on Fred and George, who were still checking each other for a pulse.

"WHAT are you two doing here still? Don't you have a joke shop to run?"

"Don't you even care that we're dead, Mum?" Fred asked with mock surprise.

"We just came to see our brother, the future dentist," said George.

"Drilling and filling are their pleasure," Fred said seriously.

Hermione's eyes went wide. "When did they see me in my pajamas?" Hermione wondered.

Ron, wondering the same thing, jumped up from the floor. "All right, have you been spying on Hermione?"

Fred and George held up their hands defensively. "No little brother, we swear!"

"It was completely by accident that we saw Hermione in her pajamas last night!" Fred said innocently.

"Yeah, it was completely by accident that we saw you snog her senseless before she went to bed!"

"That's enough!" Mrs. Weasley shouted. "You two, OUT!"

"That's all right," George said, heading for the door. "We were leaving anyways."

"Yeah, we've got our funerals to plan," Fred said, following his twin out the door.

Once the twins were gone, Mrs. Weasley turned to Hermione and Ron. "All right you two, do I need to cast a Chastity charm on you both?"

"Mum, I swear it was only a little goodnight peck!" Mrs. Weasley raised her eyebrows at him.

Hermione was quick to back Ron up. "He's telling the truth, Mrs. Weasley. Fred and George are just trying to get him into trouble."

With Hermione supporting Ron's story, Mrs. Weasley seemed satisfied. "All right, I'll take your word for it. But I'll be keeping a sharp eye on you two! Always remember, I can cast that charm in a second!"


Molly Weasley stood at the kitchen sink rinsing vegetables for dinner. "What am I going to do with Fred and George?" she wondered. "Those two are going to run me straight into the loony bin."

Her thoughts were interrupted by an eagle owl flying in through the window. Mrs. Weasley detached the letter it was carrying, and fed the owl a bit of fried bacon before it flew back out the window. She sat down at the kitchen table, tore open the envelope, and began to read.

Mrs. Weasley,

I had some things I wanted to say to you, but couldn't seem to bring myself to do it in person. For years, I've had to be a certain kind of person. It didn't matter who I really was. My father brought me up to be everything a Malfoy should be....emotionless, cruel, and calculating. From the time I could speak, he began telling me tales of the greatness of Voldemort and his Death Eaters. He molded and shaped me to one day follow in his footsteps and become a Death Eater. I now see what kind of man he really is. Not a man....but a monster. I don't know when or if I'll ever come to terms with what has happened to my mother. I only know that I don't want to be like my father. Right now, I don't really know who I am anymore. Am I the cold, cruel person my father is? I fervantly hope not. I cannot change anything I've done in the past. All of the things I've done and said to you and your loved ones....it can never be taken back. I still don't fully understand why you've taken me in. I've never given you any reason to like me, much less tolerate my presence. Due to these terrible circumstances, I've realized that my life is now changing. For the first time in my life, I can live how I want to live, and make my own choices. I know that I choose to not be the person I once was. I want the chance to become someone better. Your taking me in is giving me that chance. I've put your family in harm's way, and all you've done is try harder to support me. Whatever your reasons are for taking me in, I thank you. After the way things have gone in my life so far, I've never been able to put my trust in anyone. Yet everyday, you keep trying. I can't promise that I can change overnight, but I wanted to let you know that I AM trying. Some days it's just very hard. Some days all I can think about is what I've seen. Some days...I think it would be easier if he'd killed me too. I hope you can understand all I've said. I hope you can continue to try and have faith in me. All of your support has meant so much.

Sincerely,

Draco Malfoy

Molly Weasley was crying freely by the time she finished the letter. Wiping her eyes with a kitchen towel, she stood and slipped the letter into the over-sized pocket of her apron. "No matter what I have to do, I'll keep trying until I get him through this."


Draco stood in the doorway to the dining room, watching Ron and Harry play Wizard's chess. As Ron's bishop smashed another of Harry's pawns, Draco heard a small voice inside of him. He'd heard this voice for a while now; since the night his mother died. He realized that it was the voice of his own true personality; the personality he'd always kept neatly tucked away.

"You know you wish they'd invite you to play. Why don't you go over and ask?"

"No, I'm not ready to fully listen to you yet. I need more time," Draco thought to the voice.

"Well, you're just being stubborn. While you're taking your time, you are missing out on life."

Draco might not have been ready to ask to play chess with them, but he did feel the need to say something to Ron and Harry. Slowly, he walked over to where they sat, locked in their battle of wits.

"Potter? Weasley?"

Ron and Harry turned from their chess game, giving him their attention. "Malfoy, do you need something?" Ron asked.

"Well, I have something I wanted to say." Draco nervously shifted his weight from one foot to the other. "I'm not saying I want to be your friend or anything. But I thought that maybe we could come to an agreement. I won't go out of my way to bother you or your friends anymore, if you'll do the same for me."

"You're lying to yourself," the voice said. "You wish you had friends as loyal and true as Potter and Weasley. Admit it, any so-called friends you have are only that because you bully them. You know you don't have any real friends. Why don't you do something about it."

"No! I told you, I'm not ready!" Draco told the voice. Harry and Ron watched as Draco silently argued with himself. Harry finally answered him.

"All right, Malfoy, we'll agree to that." Ron nodded his agreement.

"Okay, it's a deal," Draco said quietly. "And....you can call me Draco."

Before Ron or Harry could say anything else, he quickly sped from the room. "They can call you Draco?" the voice asked. "Well, that's an improvement."


The next two weeks passed quickly. Draco, Ron, and Harry had thus far stuck with their agreement. Draco had begun spending less time in his room, opting instead for sitting in front of the fireplace reading a book. The only person he spoke to very much was Mrs. Weasley. It was obvious that she had been able to scale the wall that Draco had built up around himself.

Zeppie was very distressed that Hermione was leaving for school. He was worried about being away from her and his new friends, Crookshanks and Padfoot. It had taken a lot of convincing, but Hermione had finally talked him in to staying with Mr. and Mrs. Weasley. Or so she hoped.

The morning of September first dawned bright and beautiful. The sun shone brilliantly in the clear-blue sky, chasing away the early morning chill. School trunks and pet cages had been packed into the two Ministry cars Mr. Weasley had aquired for the trip to King's Cross. Several Order members were there to act as a guard. Sightings of Lucius Malfoy had been reported in Hogsmeade, so they were taking no chances. The trip to Platform 9 3/4 was uneventful. However, as the group began to board the train, a strange, black owl intercepted Draco. He dropped the trunk he'd been carrying and detached a letter from the owl's leg. As he read it, he sat down heavily onto his trunk.

Don't worry, Draco. I haven't forgotten you. I WILL come for you.

Mrs. Weasley ran forward, taking the note out of Draco's hands and reading it. Anger flooded into her eyes. "Don't worry, dear. He'll never be able to touch you. We're all making sure of that." She squeezed his shoulder encouragingly. "Come on, dear, let's get you safely onto that train."


On board the train, Ron, Hermione, and Ginny headed for the Heads and Prefects meeting. Harry sat in a compartment waiting for them, with Neville and Luna.

"So how was your summer, Neville?" Harry asked, patting Crookshanks and Padfoot who were both asleep in his lap.

"It was great," Neville said excitedly. "Gran was so proud of how I did in my studies last year, that she bought me my very own greenhouse to grow plants in. You should see my Mimbulus mimbletonia, it's gotten huge!"

Luna smiled dreamily. "My dad and I spent most of the summer backpacking through Wales. We were looking for a Blue-crested Willawomp. They're very rare, and quite breathtaking to behold."

Harry and Neville snickered a bit, but Luna didn't seem to mind. Neville suddenly got serious. "Harry, I heard that Draco Malfoy was with you and the Weasleys this summer. How did that happen? I heard Gran say something about his parents, but when I asked her about it she told me to go grow something in my greenhouse. It must have been pretty bad."

Harry nodded gravely. "His father escaped from Azkaban and killed his mother. He tried to kill Draco too, but couldn't find him. He's been in hiding with the Weasleys ever since."

"Harry, did you just call him Draco instead of Malfoy?"

"Yeah, Neville, I did. He's changed a lot since his mum died. We're not friends or anything, but we have an understanding. He's not going to bother us as long as we don't bother him. He's the one that asked us to call him Draco."

Luna jumped up suddenly, the dreaminess in her eyes replaced by something that looked like urgency. "Oh! I've just remembered, there's someone I need to find. I'll see you two later!" The euphoric smile returned to her face and she departed from the carriage, leaving behind a bewildered Harry and Neville.


At that time, Draco was seated in a compartment with some of his fellow Slytherins. So far, he'd simply sat back listening to the mind-numbing conversation. That was until someone addressed him directly.

"So, Draco, what's up with your Dad? I heard about him killing your Mum," Goyle said with his usual eloquence.

"Yeah," Crabbe continued, "and where were you all summer?"

Draco looked up from the book he'd been reading. "I'd really rather not talk about it, if it's all the same to you."

Crabbe and Goyle looked taken aback for a minute. "Sure, Draco, whatever you say. What about Potter and his friends? What have you got planned for them this year?"

"Nothing. I've got nothing planned for them. We will be leaving them alone, and that's final."

"But, Draco," Goyle whined, "that's the most fun part of school! Why won't we be bothering them?"

"Yes, Draco....do tell us," Pansy Parkinson said silkily from her corner of the compartment. "Why exactly is the Golden Trio off limits? Are you going soft, Malfoy?"

It was at that moment that Luna stepped into the compartment. "Hello again, Draco my friend. I've come to see if you fancy a chat."

Draco knitted his eyebrows in confusion. "Since when have we been friends? I don't remember anything about it." He really was being honest. There were so many things he didn't remember while being under the influence of the Calming draught.

"Don't you remember?" Luna asked a little uncertainly. "That day in Flourish and Blotts. I....I thought you said you wanted to be my friend."

Draco sat silently searching his mind for any trace of a memory. He knew there was a chance that he'd spoken those words to her. He also knew that he was in a train compartment full of Slytherins. These were the only friends he could remember, and they were slowly beginning to question his loyalty. Afraid of being abandoned by them, Draco made up his mind.

"Don't do it! This girl is the type of friend you NEED in your life. Don't screw it up! You know all of these buffoons don't really mean anything to you."

Draco quickly pushed the voice out of his mind. "Sorry, but I don't remember saying anything of the sort. Why don't you go back to the people who are your real friends.....if you have any."

The second the words were out of his mouth, Draco wished he could take them back. A strange sensation fluttered in his stomach, as Luna's eyes teared up and she ran from the compartment. Draco knew what the feeling was. Although it was a new feeling for him, Draco recognized it as regret.

"Way to go, Draco!" Pansy shouted with a satisfied smirk. Crabbe and Goyle also voiced their appreciation of Draco's act. It was more than he could take.

"Why don't you all just shut up! I really can't believe I've wasted so much time trying to impress you nobheads!"

"Way to go! Finally you show some sense. Now go find her!" For the first time since he'd begun hearing it, Draco listened to the voice that he now recognized as his conscience. Leaving behind a compartment of goggle-eyed Slytherins, he ran in search of Luna.


A/N: All of the information on the Parkin family and the Wigtown Wanderers came from Quidditch Through the Ages. I hope everyone enjoyed the extra Fred and George bit I put in this chapter, since so many of you requested more :)