Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Harry Potter & the Year of the Dragon by CraftySlytherin

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +

A/N: So, obviously I'm not J.K. Rowling, so I don't own her characters. Except for the ones that are mine, and the plot....those are mine. PLEASE HAVE CHELSEA MODERATE THIS AS SHE HAS READ THE REST AND UNDERSTANDS WHAT I'M DOING WITH THE CHARACTERS.


With their meeting finally over, Ron, Hermione, and Ginny decided to rejoin Harry.

"Blimey but there's a lot of new rules this year," Ron observed, shaking his head.

"Of course there is, Ron. Voldemort could attack at any time. We have to do what we can to keep everyone as safe as possi-OOMPH!" Hermione was cut short as someone collided with her and kept running.

"That was Luna," Ginny said, as Ron helped Hermione steady herself. "I wonder what she's upset about."

Ron looked through the window of the compartment Luna had just come from. "I wonder if it has anything to do with the fact that she just came out of a carriage full of Slytherins."

Hermione's eyes grew wide. "What in the world was Luna Lovegood doing with a bunch of Slyther-OOMPH!" Again Hermione was cut short as someone exited the compartment and crashed into her. This time the person didn't make it past her, having instead fallen to the floor. Ron again helped Hermione steady herself as Draco Malfoy got to his feet.

"Which way did she go?" Draco asked urgently.

"Why should we tell you?" Ginny asked icily. "She was obviously upset. Why should I help you find her when it was probably you and your Slytherin friends who upset her in the first place?" Ginny planted her fists on her hips and tapped her right foot angrily.

Draco's face clouded over. "They're not my friends. I don't think they ever really were. Stupidly I just upset the first person who showed an interest in truly being my friend. Please tell me which way she went....I have to make things right."

Ginny's expression softened, but only slightly. "All right, I'll tell you where she went. But know this...Luna is a sensitive and loving person. I won't stand idly by and watch her be hurt. If I find out you've upset her further, I'll hex you up one side and down the other. You know from personal experience that I can do it!"

Yes, Draco could remember the time this little red-headed spitfire had Bat-Bogey hexed him. He wondered if Potter knew what a challenge he faced in the youngest Weasley. Much to the surprise of Ron, Hermione, and Ginny, Draco smiled slightly. It was more just an upturning of one side of his mouth. "Don't worry, that's an experience I wouldn't care to ever repeat. I promise I have no intention of hurting her more. I just want the chance to apologize."

Ginny nodded and pointed down the corridor in the direction Luna had fled.


He found her sitting alone in one of the train's luggage compartments. She was sitting on a trunk staring off into space, tears slowly streaking down her cheeks. She didn't even notice when he came in.

"Luna?" he said softly. Slowly she turned to face him.

"Draco....what are you doing here? I was just trying to find a quiet place to gather my thoughts. It's very important to always keep your thoughts in order, or they can get all mixed up in your head. I-"

"Luna," Draco said, cutting her off. "I wanted to apologize for what I said back there. I've been a terrible person for so long that I guess it will take time to change."

"I never thought you were a terrible person, Draco. I always thought you were fascinating....kind of like the Blue-Crested Willawomps my dad and I looked for over the summer. They're terribly interesting. They're like you; hard to get to, but once you do they're quite something to behold....not at all what people expect them to be," Luna said with a far-off gleam in her eyes. "We spent-"

"Luna," Draco said, cutting her off again. "Please let me talk to you." Draco sat on the trunk facing her. He realized her going on was probably her way of avoiding letting him say anything; anything that could again be hurtful. Patiently Draco explained all that had happened that summer; about his mother's death and his father still looking for him. He explained to her how he wanted a new life. Draco finished off by profusely apologizing for his earlier words.

"Does this mean you would still like to be my friend? It doesn't bother you that everyone thinks I'm loony?"

"Yes it does, and no it doesn't," Draco said, holding out his hand. "Friends?"

Luna grabbed his hand and kissed the back of it, just as he'd done to her at Diagon Alley. "Yes....friends. I think you'll do nicely as a friend, Draco. Won't all of the other girls be jealous?" Luna said wistfully. "One of the most well put together boys in school is my friend. Should we go back to one of the regular compartments?"

"No, let's stay here," Draco said. Suddenly Draco had realized that he felt better than he had in a long time. "Let's have that chat. I want to hear all about your summer amongst the Blue-Crested Willawomps."


A storm was brewing in the bewitched ceiling sky of the Great Hall as students filed in for the feast. Harry, Ron, Hermione, and Ginny were seated in their usual spots at Gryffindor table, waiting for the Sorting Ceremony to begin. The doors to the Great Hall opened, and Professor McGonagall led in the newest batch of timid-looking first years. As it had since the return of Voldemort, the Sorting Hat's song contained a plea for house unity.

Another year is upon us, at our dear Hogwarts. But this year things are different, things are out of sorts. Bad things are in the future, dark times lie ahead. We must band together, to face the approaching dread. I can feel it in my stitches, I can feel it in my brim; if we cannot join forces our future looks most grim. Although I now will sort you, into the separate houses of four; join together and be strong, I beseech you, I implore. Those of you in Ravenclaw, with all your wit and smarts; will be most brilliant warriors, in the fight against the Dark Arts. Those of you in Hufflepuff, with loyalty of deed; your dedication to work will help you to succeed. Those of you in Gryffindor, with your bravery unending; your courage makes you strong, for the battle that is pending. Those of you in Slytherin, with all of your cunning ways; your choice to fight, for right or wrong, will be difficult in coming days. So now the Sorting will begin, just after my song ends. I once again will urge you; join as brothers, join as friends. Join together all four houses, in a bond of unity. Only together will we triumph, over the evil which threatens our eternity.

"Maybe this year the Sorting Hat will get what it asks for," Hermione said, while everyone politely applauded. While the Sorting was going on, Harry noticed that Draco wasn't in his usual place of glory. He sat, quite alone, at the very end of the Slytherin table. It was then he noticed Luna Lovegood. Every few minutes, Luna would wave wildly and beam a smile at Draco. Draco returned each wave with a smile of his own and a nod of his head.

Harry was perplexed. "What exactly is the deal with Luna and Draco?"

Ginny smiled at Harry. "I think they've decided to be friends."

"Luna Lovegood and Draco Malfoy.....friends?" Harry asked with disbelief.

Dumbledore prevented any further conversation, as he called for everyone's attention. "I realize that you are all quite famished. Now that the Sorting is over, we shall eat. Then after, I have some announcements. Everyone tuck in!"

The golden platters on the tables became covered in a variety of delectable foods. Harry again took a glance over at Draco, who merely pushed the food on his plate around with a fork in a dejected manner. The rest of the Slytherins cast hateful glances his way, whispering and pointing.

"Oh, Harry, I feel so sorry for him," Ginny said quietly. She too had been watching what was going on at the Slytherin table. Then all of a sudden, Draco wasn't alone. Luna, seeing her friend's discomfort, had taken her plate and moved over to the Slytherin table to sit by Draco. As she sat down, Draco smiled appreciatively at her. He finally found his appetite and began to eat, as Luna chatted animatedly to him.

"Well," Hermione said, "it's a start. Maybe unity between the houses isn't completely impossible."

Everyone ate the feast in front of them, which was followed by decadent desserts. When everyone had their fill, Dumbledore again addressed the students.

"Now that we are all sufficiently stuffed, I will get to those announcements. As it is every year, and especially now, the Forbidden Forest is off limits to all students. Mr. Filch has again posted a list of all contraband items, and would like to remind you all that spellcasting in the corridors is forbidden. The DA will again be meeting this year, under the supervision of Mr. Potter. Meeting times and dates will be at his discretion, and I am told there will be a sign-up sheet posted for anyone interested in joining. As you can see, there are no new teachers currently sitting at the staff table. Our new Defense Against the Dark Arts professor is traveling a great distance to get here, and should arrive any moment. Our Head Boy and Head Girl are Ronald Weasley and Hermione Granger. I would ask them to please report to my office after dismissal. Prefects....if you would please escort students to the dormitories. Good night, everyone!"

Ron and Hermione hurried off to meet Dumbledore in his office. When they got there, Harry and Ginny were also waiting to get in. Ron gave Harry a questioning look.

"Don't look at me, mate. I don't know why we're here. McGonagall came to get us after the feast and said that Dumbledore wanted a word with us as well."

"I believe I can clear that up for you," Dumbledore said, appearing behind them. "Follow me."

Ron, Harry, Hermione, and Ginny followed him up the staircase to his office, where he asked them to have a seat. After they were seated, he continued.

"I just wanted to speak to you four about the situation with Draco Malfoy. The experience he has been through is liable to bring about a change in him."

"That's an understatement," Harry said, remembering the scene in the Great Hall.

Dumbledore smiled. "Ahhh...you must be thinking of his new friend. A splendid way to start house unity, don't you agree? I know I can count on you four to help him make the transition. Now I did have another reason for bringing you all here. Harry, you must be wondering why I chose young Ronald here for Head Boy AND Quidditch captain."

"Well, maybe a little. Nothing against Ron, I'm happy for him. But it is a lot of resposibility for one person." Ron smiled understandingly at his best friend.

"Well, Harry, you too will have much responsibility this year. The Ministry of Magic has decreed that the DA is to be made into an official Order; kind of like a junior Order of the Phoenix. You, Harry, are to be the leader of this new Order, which includes coming up with an Order name. Being the leader of this new Order is a hefty responsibility in itself, but I have no doubt whatsoever about your ability to handle it." Harry was speechless, as Ron, Hermione, and Ginny congratulated him excitedly.

Dumbledore continued. "Also, for their help in the Ministry of Magic skermish the year before last, Ron, Hermione, Ginny, Luna, and Neville are to be awarded the Order of Merlin, third class. Mr. Longbottom and Miss Lovegood have already been informed." Harry congratulated his three friends, but at the same time felt a little hurt. He'd been there as well, why was he being left out?

"Before you get upset, Harry, let me finish," Dumbledore said smiling. "Because of your involvement at the Ministry of Magic, AND because of the role you played in saving the lives of your friends from Bellatrix Lestrange, you will be awarded the Order of Merlin, second class. There will be a ceremony to officially bestow these honors on you all at the Halloween feast." By this time, Harry, Ron, Hermione, and Ginny were all quite speechless. Dumbledore continued with a gleam in his eyes.

"Now that I have successfully left you all at a loss for words, I will let you get to bed. Harry and Ginny, you already know the way. Ron and Hermione, I will personally escort you to your quarters."

Harry and Ginny wished Ron and Hermione a good night and left. Ron and Hermione followed Dumbledore out of his office and down the corridor. Dumbledore explained the situation with the Heads' quarters as they walked.

"We've decided to try something new this year," he said, stopping by a statue of a Peruvian Vipertooth. "Head Boy and Head Girl will have their own quarters this year." As Ron and Hermione exchanged surprised looks, Dumbledore tapped the dragon statue with his wand and said, "Dragon's blood."

With a loud rumbling noise, the statue descended through a trapdoor in the floor, revealing a passage beyond. Ron and Hermione followed Dumbledore into their quarters. As the stone passage opened up into their rooms, Ron and Hermione stood in awe. "I will leave you two to get acquainted with your new living space," Dumbledore said with a smile, as he went back down the passage.

"Bloody Hell!" Ron exclaimed.

"I agree," Hermione whispered, as they took in their surroundings.

A large, open area carpeted in scarlet surrounded them. Right in front of them was a large fountain. A statue of the Gryffindor lion was in the center, water streaming out of it's mouth into the large, circular basin beneath. Paintings of various magical creatures adorned the walls. On either side of the room was a spiral staircase, each leading up to a small balcony with a door. On the ground floor under each balcony, was another door. The back wall boasted an ornate, stone fireplace, with large book-covered shelves off to either side. In front of the fireplace was a plush, crimson sofa and armchairs, and a hammered copper table.

Ron broke out of his stupor and hurried up the staircase to the left. Opening the door and surveying the inside of the room, he yelled, "Hey, 'Mione, I think this one's yours!" Hermione joined Ron up the left staircase.

A cozy, plush, sand-colored carpet covered the floor and a large, queen-sized loft bed ran along the back wall. The bed was covered in plump pillows and a dark, golden-colored down comforter. Crimson curtains hanging from the bottom of the bed, were drawn back to reveal a study area underneath. There was a large, carved wooden desk and chair, along with more bookshelves. A painting of the Gryffindor lion covered the entire left-hand wall, and there was a small sitting area off to the right.

"It's so beautiful!" Hermione breathed.

"I'm going to check out my room," Ron said, running down the left staircase, and up the right. Hermione followed him.

There was a more masculine feel to the other room. Everything was done in rich shades of burghandy. Ron also had a small sitting area, and his right-hand wall boasted a wall-to-wall painting of a Hebridean Black. Ron's bed was a large, platform, four-poster bed. The coverings on his bed were done in the rich burghandy, and looked as soft as a cloud. Unlike Hermione's room, the floor was done in hard wood, with a large Oriental rug in the center.

"This is great!" Ron exclaimed, flopping down on his bed. "Care to join me?"

"No, I don't think so, Ronald. There are still two rooms downstairs. I'm going to have a look." Since she obviously wasn't going to join him, Ron decided to follow along.

The door under Ron's room led to a large bathroom. The floor was done in dark red and gold square tiles. There were two pedestal sinks with a large oval mirror in between them on the back wall. And set into the middle of the floor was a huge, circle-shaped tub.

"Care to join me here?" Ron asked suggestively.

Hermione sighed loudly and rolled her eyes. "Ron, please control yourself. We have one more door left." Ron, again defeated, followed Hermione to inspect the last room.

This room turned out to be a small kitchen. Inside were all of the things you needed to make a meal; refridgerator, sink, stove, and lots of counter space. Off in the corner was a small breakfast table with two chairs. Crookshanks was currently curled up in one of the chairs, sleeping. What was odd, was that the table was spread with food. There were platters of sausage and potatoes, freshly baked bread, a pot of hot tea, and a pan of sticky buns.

"Who do you suppose cooked all of this?" Ron asked, grabbing a sausage and stuffing it into his mouth.

Hermione's face took on an unbelieving look, as the tumblers in her brain clicked into place. "It couldn't be, could it?"

As if on cue, a door leading to a small pantry opened, and Zeppie walked out. "Oh! Missy Hermy and Mr. Wheezy! Zeppie was not expecting you so soon! Zeppie made you a snack."

Hermione placed her hands on her hips. "Zeppie, what are you doing here? You said you would stay with Mr. and Mrs. Weasley."

Zeppie picked at the edge of his vibrant orange jumper. "Zeppie is thinking a lot about what Missy Hermy said. Zeppie decided to go where Zeppie wanted to. Zeppie wanted to come where Missy Hermy was."

Hermione's expression softened. "Well, I guess I really can't be mad at you, since it was a choice you made on your own. It's a good sign that maybe you're finally getting some independance. After all, I'm not your master, and I can't tell you what to do. Maybe you can even meet some of the other house-elves while you are here. I'm sure Dobby would love to meet you."

"Hey, 'Mione, let's take some of this food and go sit in front of the fire," Ron suggested, grabbing the sausages and potatoes.

"Okay, Ron, this time I WILL join you." Hermione gathered up the sticky buns, the pot of tea, and two mugs, and followed Ron out of the kitchen and over to the fire.

No sooner had they started their fireplace picnic, when the door to their room opened and Dumbledore walked in. "I am sorry to bother you two. I know the hour is late, and it looks like you are enjoying a wonderful snack. I have two orders of business. First off, do you like your new rooms? Do you find them lacking in any accomodations?"

"Oh no, Professor," Hermione was quick to answer. "Everything is simply wonderful."

"Yeah, it's brilliant!" Ron assured him.

"Splendid....splendid, I'm glad you find it to your liking. Now the other matter I am here about is the new Defense Against the Dark Arts professor."

"Has he safely arrived?" Hermione asked.

"Yes, Miss Granger, he has. He has requested to have a word with the both of you. Might I invite him in?"

"Oh yes, please do," Hermione said, as Ron shoved a whole sticky bun in his mouth. "We've been wondering all summer who it could be."

Dumbledore nodded and exited down the corridor to invite the new professor in. When Dumbledore returned, he had someone very familiar with him.

Ron choked down the rest of the bun he'd been eating. "You?" he asked in surprise. "You're the new Defense Against the Dark Arts professor?"


A/n: Well, does anyone have any guesses as to who it could be? I'm interested to see who everyone has in mind and see if anyone guesses it right. Of course, I won't tell you if you do. You'll just have to wait for chapter 7 :)