Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Harry Potter & the Year of the Dragon by CraftySlytherin

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +

A/N: I’m not J.K. Rowling. There…I said it. I don’t claim to own any of her characters, only the plot. All of you readers are so smart! You’re all very good guessers!! Wanna find out why this is called the Year of the Dragon? Read on! By the way, it has nothing to do with their new professor. Look for clues at the end!


Ron stared in disbelief at the man standing in front of him; the man who just happened to be his older brother. “Charlie? You’re our new professor?”

“That’s right, little brother. Dumbledore put the word out that he needed a Defense Against the Dark Arts professor. Things are pretty slow at the dragon reserve right now, so I volunteered. I did train as an Auror before I went to Romania.”

“Wicked! I think you’ll make a terrific professor, Charlie!”

“That’s Professor Weasley to you,” Charlie said with a smile. “I won’t keep you two up, I just wanted to surprise you. Hey, Ron, don’t tell Ginny I’m here. I want to see the look on her face when she comes to class tomorrow.”

“All right, Charlie, I won’t say anything.”

Dumbledore and Charlie bade Ron and Hermione a goodnight and left. “I can’t believe you brother is our new professor.”

“Neither can I, but I’m sure he’ll do a brilliant job. Well, ‘Mione, I’m going to bed. We DO have classes in the morning after all.”

“Why, Ron, I’m proud of you! You’re actually thinking about your classes for a change. Goodnight then.” Hermione languidly kissed Ron before heading up the stairs to her room. Ron watched her go, wondering if she had any idea of how she affected him.


The next morning at breakfast, the Great Hall was full of chattering students. Luna had totally forgone the Ravenclaw table and was sitting at the again deserted end of the Slytherin table with Draco. He was watching her with a hint of a smile on his face, as she pointed out an article in the latest edition of the Quibbler.

Ron, Harry, Hermione, and Ginny were chatting over their breakfast of sausage, eggs, porridge, and apple fritters.

“So, how’s the new dorm rooms?” Harry asked, grabbing an apple fritter.

“Oh! They’re wicked, mate!” exclaimed Ron. “You and Ginny have GOT to come up this evening. There’s even a kitchen and we can have snacks!”

“Look, Harry, the newlyweds are inviting us up to their new flat,” Ginny teased.

“Very funny, Gin,” Hermione said. “But you should come up. Zeppie will be happy to see you.”

“Zeppie’s here?” asked Harry. “I thought he was going to stay at Grimmauld Place.”

“That’s what I thought too,” Hermione said earnestly. “Apparently he changed his mind. I think it’s excellent. He’s finally making some decisions for himself.”

“E ha anuffer izitor wastite,” Ron said through a mouthful of fritter.

“Honestly, Ronald, if you’re not going to teach us all how to translate what you’re saying with a full mouth, at least chew and swallow before you talk.”

Ron swallowed his food. “I was just trying to tell Harry and Ginny that we had another visitor last night. We met the new Defense Against the Dark Arts professor.”

Ginny’s eyes grew wide. “You did? Who is it?”

“Sorry, Gin. He made me promise not to tell.”

Ginny got to her feet, looking like a cat who’d just had it’s tail stepped on. “Ronald Weasley, I thought we told each other everything now! You are VERY lucky that I have that class first today, or I’d be tempted to hex you silly!” Ginny grabbed up her bag and turned to leave. “Coming, Harry?”

“I’ll catch up with you two in a minute,” Harry said to Ron and Hermione, before turning and following Ginny out of the Great Hall.


Since Ron had made no promises not to tell Harry, he had informed Harry of the identity of the new Defense Against the Dark Arts professor. As the trio made their way to Defense Against the Dark Arts, their last class of the day, they were filled with anticipation. When they entered, they saw Charlie setting a large box on a table at the front of the classroom.

“Hey, Professor Weasley,” Ron said with amusement. Charlie turned to flash them a smile.

“Hey you three! Go ahead and sit down. I think you’ll like the lesson I’ve got planned.”

Ron, Hermione, and Harry took their usual seats as the rest of the class began to file in. Outside the classroom, the Trio could see Luna throw her arms around Draco in a bone-crushing hug and then stroll off. Draco entered and took a seat in the far corner of the room, away from everyone else. As soon as everyone entered, Charlie began to address the class.

“All right, you lot, I’m your new professor.” He tapped his wand on the blackboard and the words ‘Professor Weasley’ appeared. “That’s me…Professor Weasley. Before we get started on the lesson, I’d like to go over some of the things we’ll be covering in this class. We’ll be having very short reviews on some of the spells and creatures that you’ve already gone over; just a bit of a refresher. After that, my job is to prepare you for the troubled times we’re living in. We’ll cover some all new spells and study some of the creatures that may show up in the fight against Voldemort.”

Almost everyone in the class gasped at once. Charlie smiled as he continued. “Yes, I’m not afraid to say his name. I expect you all to get over the fear of saying his name as well. After all, fear of a name only increases fear of the thing itself. Let’s try it together on the count of three. 1…2…3, VOLDEMORT.” A few people said it right out loud with Charlie, while the rest could barely bring themselves to whisper it.

Again, Charlie smiled. “Well, not too bad for a first try. We’ll try it again later, until every last one of you can say it out loud and not flinch. Now we’ll move on to today’s lesson.”

Charlie tapped his wand on the large box and the sides fell away. Inside the box were a good number of dragon models; very like the ones from the Triwizard Tournament. There were Hungarian Horntails and Hebridean Blacks; two of the more aggressive species. The little dragon models prowled around the tabletop, occasionally letting out tiny roars or stretching their wings. Charlie definitely had the class’s attention.

“Now then, we’re going to be using these little guys to practice a new type of Shield charm. It is believed that Voldemort, say it with me…VOLDEMORT, has found a way to bewitch dragons and get them to do his bidding. This will help protect you against dragon fire should you ever be confronted by one.”

Charlie picked up a Hebridean Black model and set it on his desk. “To get them to breath fire at you, simply tap the dragon model on the head with your wand. You’ll have a five second delay before the fire is breathed in which to cast your Dragon Shield charm. Watch closely.”

Charlie faced the dragon model and tapped it on the head with his wand. The dragon took in a large breath to prepare, and Charlie swirled his wand over his head yelling, “Contego Drakon!”

A glittering blue cloud poured from the end of his wand, enveloping Charlie in a swirling mist. The Hebridean Black let forth an impressive burst of flame. As soon as it hit the shield, the plumes of flame turned to ice which fell to the floor and shattered. Most everyone in the classroom clapped and cheered. Charlie picked up the dragon model and returned it to the table with the others. With a tap of his wand the sides of the box sprang up, once again enclosing the dragon models.

“Today we’ll simply be working on the incantation itself. Once you can all produce a sufficient Dragon Shield charm, we’ll move on to using these little guys. For now, let’s all pair up and get to work. Remember the incantation…Contego Drakon.”

Hermione and Ron immediately paired up. Harry started to head for Neville, until he noticed Draco. Back in his lonely corner, no one seemed to want Draco for a partner. Swallowing his pride and tamping down memories of their rivalry, Harry slowly approached Draco.

“Hey, Malfoy. If you don’t already have a partner, I’ll work with you.”

Draco tried to put on his trademark sneer, but found that for some reason it wouldn’t come. When he lifted his eyes to meet Harry’s, they held an uncharacteristic look; a look of thankfulness. “All right, Potter. That’ll be fine. And I told you…call me Draco.”

“The only way I’ll call you that is if you call me Harry.”

“All right, Harry it is. Of course, this doesn’t mean I want to be your friend.” Draco’s voice held a tone of uncertainty.

Harry smiled. “No, of course not. That’d be silly.”

With their new ‘not friends, just partners’ arrangement in place, Draco and Harry set to work on their Dragon Shield charms. By the end of class, Harry and Draco were the only ones who’d managed a full shield.

“Excellent job everyone, especially Harry and Draco. If you keep it up, we should be ready to use the models sometime next week. Now before you leave, say it with me one more time. VOLDEMORT. Much, much better. I’ll see you all tomorrow!”


Dinner in the Great Hall was a chatty affair that night. Everyone was chatting about Professor Weasley’s class.

“Well of course I was shocked to no end when I saw him,” Ginny told Ron, Harry, and Hermione. “I think Charlie’s going to be an excellent professor. He’s got us doing spell work right off, instead of reviewing from our books.”

Further discussion of Charlie’s class was cut short as Dumbledore stood and called for everyone’s attention. “I have an announcement to make. As all of you well know, now is the time when it becomes most important to strive for unity between the four houses. Keeping this in mind, myself and your other professors have come up with several events that will take place over the course of this year designed to promote the unity we seek. Each individual event will be announced a month before it is scheduled. It is now my pleasure to announce that our first event will be a Unity Ball. Everyone who is in their fourth year and up may attend.” Dumbledore paused to let the announcement sink in before continuing.

“There is a catch to this ball. As it is for house unity, everyone must arrive at and spend the first hour of the ball with someone from a different house. Now before you all get in an uproar, let me finish. You must spend the first hour with your date from another house. After that hour is up you may return to your usual group. This is merely a chance for you all to possibly make some new friends.”

Luna, who was again sitting with Draco, got up and stood on her seat. “I want everyone in the whole school to know that I’m going to the Unity Ball with my new Slytherin friend Draco. Thank you.”

“That is the idea, Miss Lovegood,” Dumbledore said smiling. “A fine example for the rest of you to follow.” Luna had sat back down next to a slightly embarrassed, but grateful Draco.

Dumbledore continued. “Our third years and under will also have an event Halloween night. For them we offer a moonlight costume party by the lake; a chance to mingle with other students regardless of their house. Getting back to the older students, a cask will be set up by the entrance to the Great Hall. Any boy who wishes to attend will draw the name of their partner from the cask. It will be enchanted to automatically give the name of someone from another house. I hope it will be an enjoyable experience for you all. Now, I bid you all a fond goodnight.”

Ron speared one last treacle tart. “Well, I don’t want to go to a ball with anyone but you, ‘Mione. I just won’t go.”

“Me neither,” agreed Harry.

Hermione shook her head and looked at Ron. “Of course you’ll go. As Head Boy and Head Girl we should be prepared to support unity between the houses. And besides, we can get together after the first hour, silly.”

Ginny nodded her head in agreement. “Hermione’s right, Harry. As much as I hate the idea of you going to a ball with someone else, loads of people at Hogwarts look up to you. If they see you going along with Dumbledore, they’re likely to follow suit. It’ll be a great way to get to know people from other houses better. Come on, you two, let’s go draw names for you.”

Hermione and Ginny dragged Harry and Ron out to where the cask sat. Not many people were in line to draw names, but as soon as Harry and Ron were there, the line lengthened considerably. Ron made it to the front of the line first. Taking a deep breath, he reached in and pulled out a slip of parchment.

“I’ve got Hannah Abbott,” he said with obvious relief. “She’s pretty nice. I was sure I’d get Millicent Bulstrode. You next, Harry.”

Harry closed his eyes and reached into the cask. “Please not a Slytherin,” he whispered under his breath, as he drew out a name. Unfortunately the parchment was not in his favor. “Cindra Blackthorpe,” Harry read. “Who’s she?”

“She’s a sixth year like me,” Ginny answered. “She’s also a Slytherin.”

Harry smacked himself on the forehead. “Just my luck!”

“Don’t worry, Harry. All Slytherins can’t be bad. Let’s go find her and let her know.” Ginny dragged Harry along, as Ron and Hermione went to find Hannah Abbott.

Ginny guided Harry over to a girl wearing Slytherin robes. She was tall and willowy, with curly, shoulder-length black hair. She had a very apprehensive look on her face as Harry and Ginny approached.

“Hello, Cindra,” Ginny said in greeting.

“Ginevra. To what do I owe the pleasure?”

“Harry just drew your name as a partner for the ball.”

“Really? How terribly fascinating. I did have a mere interest in going. I suppose Harry will be acceptable as a partner, even if he is a Gryffindor. I have just been speaking with Blaise Zabini. He also will be going with a Gryffindor; you as a matter of fact, Ginevra. Well, I’m off. Ta!” With a dismissive wave of her hand, Cindra was gone.

“Well, she’s a bit stuck-up. It should make for an interesting hour,” Harry said.

Ginny leaned up and kissed him on the tip of his nose. “Don’t be upset, Harry. Looks like I’ll be going with a Slytherin too. Maybe we’ll all sit together.”

Ron and Hermione came up beside them. “Well, we’re both going with Hufflepuffs. I’ve got Hannah, and Hermione’s going with Ernie MacMillon. How about you two?” asked Ron.

Ginny scrunched up her nose. “Nope. We weren’t that lucky. Harry and I are both going with Slytherins.”

“Can we please talk about something else?” Harry asked. He as not looking forward to spending an hour with Cindra.

“Hey!” Ron exclaimed. “How about you two coming up and checking out our rooms?”

“That IS a good idea,” said Hermione. “Maybe you can help me convince Zeppie to go be with the other house-elves down in the kitchen. He won’t stop laying out my clothes and making me snacks.”

A sudden flash of inspiration hit Harry. “You two girls go on ahead. Ron, come with me. Don’t worry, we’ll be right behind you.”


Hermione and Ginny were sitting in front of the fireplace eating chocolate trifle when Ron and Harry got there. “Chocolate trifle! Excellent!” Ron exclaimed, rushing forward to grab a dish.

“Where’s Zeppie?” Harry asked. “I’ve brought someone to meet him.”

“He’s in the kitchen trying to feed Crookshanks. I don’t think poor Crooks can eat anymore. Zeppie told me he’s already fed him five times today!”

As if on cue, Zeppie came out of the kitchen. “Missy Hermy’s cat won’t eat anymore. Can Zeppie get anything else for Missy Hermy to eat?”

“No, Zeppie, the trifle is excellent. Come sit with us. Harry’s brought someone for you to meet.” Zeppie skipped over and sat down on the floor next to Hermione’s chair.

Harry turned in the direction of the door and called, “All right, Dobby. Come on in!”

There was a loud crack, and Dobby appeared in front of the fireplace. On his head he still wore all of the hats Hermione had knitted during her fourth year. “Zeppie, this is Dobby. Dobby is a free house-elf, like you. He works here at Hogwarts but gets paid and even gets days off.”

Zeppie got to his feet and approached Dobby, staring adoringly at the stack of knitted hats on Dobby’s head. “It is being a long time since Zeppie last saw Dobby. Dobby has acquired many fine hats.”

Dobby pulled an orange and purple striped hat with a blue pom-pom off of his head. “Dobby would be most happy for his old friend Zeppie to have a hat.” Dobby handed the hat to Zeppie, who took it eagerly and perched it upon his head.

“Zeppie’s old friend Dobby is too kind.”

“Old friend?” Harry asked. “You two already know each other, Dobby?”

“Oh yes, Harry Potter, sir. Dobby and Zeppie’s families were friends. Dobby is most happy to see his friend away from his terrible family.” Dobby felt no need to punish himself, for it wasn’t the Malfoys he was talking about.

“Zeppie, wouldn’t you like to go with Dobby and see the Hogwarts kitchen and all of the other house-elves?” Hermione prompted. “You two can catch up.”

“Oh! Dobby would like nothing better! Will Zeppie come with Dobby? Winky will be most happy to see Zeppie.”

“Winky is here? Zeppie has longed so to see her! Zeppie will come with Dobby.” With a quick goodbye to the four teens, Zeppie and Dobby popped out of the room.

“How wicked is that?” Ron asked, helping himself to another liberal portion of trifle. “Here we were thinking we were introducing them, and they’re already friends! Looks like he knows Winky too.”

“Maybe Dobby can help bring Zeppie around. It’ll do him good to be around an already liberated house-elf. So, are we all on for the first Hogsmeade trip this weekend? We can all look for new things to wear to the Unity Ball.” Hermione saw Harry frown at her mention of the ball.

“Hermione sure is gung-ho about us all helping with the unity thing,” he thought. “All right, Hermione. We’ll all go. But I’ll be looking for robes to wear with Ginny after that first hour, not because of Cindra.”


A lemony yellow sun and a cool, lazy breeze accompanied Harry, Ginny, Ron, and Hermione on their way to the village of Hogsmeade. Padfoot frolicked happily around the group; as far as the leash Ginny held would allow.

“Do you really think you’ll be able to take him into all the shops?” Ron asked.

“I couldn’t leave my little Padfoot behind,” Ginny crooned, stopping to scratch his ears. “He’s been cooped up and needed some fresh air.”

Padfoot eagerly licked Ginny’s hand before she stood up and continued on. As they walked past the Forbidden Forest, Padfoot suddenly stopped, wildly sniffing the air. He gave a few sharp yips and tried to take off in the direction of the trees. When he reached the limit of his leash, he strained against it with all his might.

“Padfoot, you silly, what are you doing?” Ginny asked, as she tried to coax the dog back. Padfoot barked in answer and pulled against the leash with renewed force. After a particularly sharp tug on Padfoot’s part, the leash slipped out of Ginny’s hands. Padfoot tore off into the forest.

“Padfoot, NO! Come back here!” Ginny ran after her fleeing pet.

Harry, Ron, and Hermione followed closely behind Ginny, as they left the path and went into the forest. Tree branches whipped against them, and their skin was scratched by brambles as the foursome followed Padfoot’s retreating barks. Finally his barks stopped.

They broke out of the trees and into a clearing. Ginny spotted Padfoot running in circles, yipping excitedly.

“There you are, Padfoot you silly boy. Come here.”

Padfoot, however, had different ideas. He trotted across to the other side of the clearing and began to lick something that was sticking out of a grove of elm trees. It was large, pearly, glittering, and looked like a leg; a dragon leg.


A/N: The charm Charlie taught the class, Contego Drakon, roughly means dragon shield. In latin, Contego means to shield, and Drakon means dragon. Okay! Now for a contest! The first person to correctly identify the type of dragon mentioned at the end of the chapter, will get to be in my story!!!!!!!!!