Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

How The Other Half Lives (Prologue) by Jase

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Harry paced the area of the Room of Requirement three times, thinking 'We need a quiet place to study for exams,' while Hermione and Ron watched from a little bit away. If too many people stood to close to the door and the thoughts mixed, the room could come out completely different.

There was a burst of sparkles on the wall, and the door appeared. The three had used this room a lot in their 6th year; most of the other kids who knew about it were now afraid to come to it once Umbridge had discovered it. Ron pulled open the door, and they entered.

But something was wrong.

Usually, the room would have nice chairs, bookshelves, and a fireplace or two to create a relaxing atmosphere. But now it looked like a dungeon. There were all sorts of strange machines on old tables, and there was a dusty old full-length mirror on one of the walls.

"What is this place?" Hermione whispered, picking up one of the oddities.

"I have no idea. But we'd better get out of here." Ron said, and headed towards the door. Suddenly, it closed and locked. Ron pulled on the handle as hard as he could and tried "Alohamora" over and over, but it was no use.

"Somebody obviously wants us here," Said Harry, picking up a dusty medallion, "But why?" He wiped it off with the sleeve of his robe. Once it was clean, he could see that it was a Yin-Yang symbol. It started to glow, and then flew out of Harry's hand and attached itself to the mirror in the room. The glass of the mirror changed. It became all clean, and it rippled a few times. Harry, Ron and Hermione all stood in front of it.
But their reflections did not appear.

"What do you suppose-" Ron said, but Hermione suddenly reached her hand out.

And through the mirror.

"It's a passage to an alternate world. A mirror world of ours." She said softly. Hermione removed her hand, and the trio looked at each other.

"Should we go in?" Ron asked.

"Well, it's not like we have any other choice." Said Harry. He stepped through the mirror. It felt like there was a bunch of water being poured over him, but he wasn't getting wet. Once he was on the other side, he looked back at Ron and Hermione.

"It's ok," he said, looking at their nervous faces, "It doesn't hurt." Ron and Hermione slowly walked through the mirror.

"It looks exactly the same." Ron said.

"Not quite - the door in this room is open." Hermione said, "I guess we should...go explore."
They all left the room. The castle was exactly the same. All of the halls were quiet though; no one seemed to be around.

"I think they're all in class now." Hermione said, looking at her watch, "But that doesn't make since." She indicated to a window; it was dark, and the moon could easily be seen through the clear sky.

"What time IS it?" Ron asked.

"About 11...AM." Hermione replied uneasily. Suddenly, the bell rang: class was dismissed. Everywhere students came from doors, walking past Ron, Hermione and Harry as if they didn't see them. Suddenly, Hermione grabbed Harry's arm.
"Harry - look!"

Walking down a hallway, chatting were three students. They could have been clones of Harry, Ron and Hermione, except for some big differences.

The different Harry had shockingly white hair, just like Malfoy's. He didn't have glasses, and his eyes were a bright blue. Hermione's twin was the same except for straight black hair instead of curly brown hair. Ron's twin was wearing nice robes, and his hair was streaked blue. It looked like this version of Ron had a lot of money.
But what surprised Harry most about the alternate three was instead of a lightning bolt scar on the different Harry, it was a half moon.

"Think we should go talk to them?" Ron whispered to Harry and Hermione.

"Are you nuts? That could throw off our whole universal balance! I mean, we could've already doomed the universe by US discovering this place; I hate to think of what would happen if our exact opposites found out about us too!"

"Hermione, I don't think they're EXACT opposites," Harry said, ignoring most of what she just said, "They're wearing Gryffindor robes..."

"But you see, Gryffindor could be our world's Slytherin, and Slytherin here could be like Gryffindors and-..." She paused, as if trying to think of something, but then threw her hands into the air. "This is too confusing, even for me." She grumbled. Suddenly, a voice filled the hallways.

"ATTENTION STUDENTS OF WARTHOGS SCHOOL OF WIZARDRY AND WITCHCRAFT: WE WOULD LIKE TO INFORM YOU THAT TODAY'S QUIDDITCH MATCH BETWEEN GRYFFINDOR AND RAVENCLAW HAS BEEN CANCELED." It sounded just like Professor McGonagall.

"How could they play Quidditch anyways?? It's the middle of the night!" Harry said.

"Harry, it's an alternate universe. Day and night are switched." Hermione said, rolling her eyes, as if it were the most obvious thing in the world.

"Why don't we just leave now, while two-thirds of us are still sane." Ron said, and Hermione glared at him.

"Hey! Who are you??" A voice came from behind them. They whirled around.
And came face-to-face with their alternate doubles.

To Be Continued...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Oooooo...exciting! Please let me know what you think - I'd love to hear it!