Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

How The Other Half Lives (Prologue) by Jase

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
“I SAID, who are you?” The parallel Hermione asked, frowning. Parallel Harry and Parallel Ron were standing behind her, Harry staring at our world’s Harry’s scar, and Ron looking confused.
“I’m Hermione…” Hermione said.
“So am I.” Hermione said.
“Ok, ok. This is too confusing. Why don’t we just…call ourselves something?” Blond Harry asked.
“You can call us…Dark Ron, Harry and Hermione.” Dark Ron said.
“Dark?” Ron asked nervously, “Are you…evil?”
“Good grief, no.” Dark Hermione said haughtily, “The Slytherins are the evil ones. Call us dark because it’s dark out; I’m guessing in your world it’s light out right now.”
“Ha!” Ron said, smiling at Hermione, “You were wrong; the Gryffindors ARE the same as us!” Hermione rolled her eyes.
“So what are you guys doing here anyways?” Dark Harry asked, “Aren’t we breaking all sorts of interdimensional space laws or something?”
“I don’t know; but we got here by this strange mirror in the Room of Requirement. We walked through it, and boom, we were here.” Harry said. Students passed the group of six, doing double takes as they walked by.
“Erm…maybe we should find a better place to talk. I’m guessing word travels around your school as fast as it does ours.” Ron said, staring back at the students.
“I’ll show you where the Room of Requirement is.” Dark Harry said. The traveled through the school, and Harry, Ron and Hermione were amazed that the layout was exactly the same, except everything was reversed. The Defense Against the Dark Arts classroom was on the opposite side of the castle, and Snape’s class was in one of the highest towers.

As they were venturing through Warthogs School of Wizardry and Witchcraft, Dark Hermione suddenly shoved them into an empty classroom.
“What was THAT for?” Ron asked, but Dark Hermione glared at him to shut up. She closed the door so that they all could see. Suddenly two people passed, and Harry would have never recognized them if it weren’t for their voices.
“Sir, how do we know that Peeves broke that chandelier?”
“Ah, Minerva, I have partaken in the latest of muggle technology; a thing called a ‘security camera.’ A recording of Peeves was made, and that’s all the proof I need.”
It was Professors McGonagall and Dumbledore.
But McGonagall had blond hair that was down to her shoulders; there weren’t wrinkles on her face, and she looked…young.
Dumbledore, on the other hand, looked the same except for the glasses; they were star-shaped spectacles instead of half-moons.
“Wow…” Hermione whispered, “I wonder why some of the parallel versions look the way they do…it’s very strange.”
“Strange?” Ron asked, with a scared voice, shaking, “You think THAT’S strange? I just thought Professor McGonagall was CUTE!”


Eventually, the six came upon the wall that the door to the Room appeared.
“I’ll get it,” Hermione said, and started pacing.
“We need a way for us to get home…” she repeated. The door magically appeared, and Hermione opened it.
Inside was a vast field of flowers. Bunnies were hopping about, and the sun was shining in the sky that had come out of nowhere.
“H-how is THIS supposed to get us home?” Hermione asked.
“Hermione, this is a parallel universe,” Ron mimicked in a voice that sounded like Hermione’s, “Everything’s reversed here!”
“Oh. Right.” Hermione said, blushing, and Dark Harry stood in front of the door.
“We don’t need a passage to our parallel universe…we don’t need a way for these three to get home…” he said. The door rippled for a second, and then they all went in.

It was the same room the three had been in before. Harry noticed that the mirror’s portal was still functioning, but the glow from it was fading fast.
“Ron, Hermione; the portal’s about to close. We have to go, NOW!” He said, and Ron and Hermione said goodbye to their counterparts and walked through the mirror. Harry turned to Dark Harry; his blue eyes were shining and he had a smile on his face.
“It was nice to meet you,” Dark Harry said, “and good luck.”
“You too,” Harry replied, shaking his hand. He then went through the mirror, and watched as the image of their reverse selves standing in the exact same position disappeared. The Yin-Yang symbol fell out of the mirror and landed in Ron’s hand.
“What are we supposed to do with this?” Ron asked, eyeing it.
“I’ll take it.” Harry said, grinning. He put it in his pocket. Maybe some time later, he could go visit Dark Harry; learn more about his world.

***

Dark Harry, Ron and Hermione watched as their doubles disappeared. A Yin-Yang symbol fell from the top of the mirror, and landed in Ron’s hand.
“What the heck are we supposed to do with THIS?” Ron said, holding it away from his face as if it were something dead.
“I’ll take it.” Dark Harry said, eyes staring intently into the mirror. Maybe some time later, he could discover the secrets of this mirror; learn more about its use.

***
Harry, Ron and Hermione never DID find out where that mirror came from, but they learned something from it. That no matter how you dress, look, or come from; character and personality are the only things that are really important.

THE END

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I'm writing a full-length story about the characters from the alternate dimension - it's called "How The Other Half Lives". Please feel free to read it, and let me know what you thought of Part II of this story.