Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Lilly Green and the Deadly Duo by Lilly_Green

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Five

Herbology

Lilly’s first night at Hogwarts was one she would never forget. Did Dave really kiss me last night? Wow......... She was shocked. After she woke up, got dressed, and headed down to the common room, Lilly saw her schedule posted by the portrait hole.
It read:


All 1st and 2nd year Ravenclaws are to follow this schedule for this year. Proceed to these classes at all times unless you have an excused absence from a teacher.

No exceptions.

History of Magic
Herbology
Potions
Defense Against the Dark Arts
Charms
Transfiguration



All elective classes are to begin after these mandatory lessons. Thank You.

Professor Mallory McDronagall
Deputy Headmistress


Lilly had woken up extra early to send an owl to her parents about the previous night. Although she thought she would probably get one today, she thought to send one was necessary. Lilly left the empty common room and took two bouncing staircases to get to the owlry.

It was a beautiful high-ceilinged room full of beautiful owls on many sticks and perches scattered all over the walls. No one else was there, so Lilly got to pick which ever owl she felt fitting. She scanned the ceiling and spotted a gorgeous, strong, brownish red owl, squabbling. Lilly could tell it wanted to leave and fly somewhere. There was a desk off to the side with five stacks of parchment, five quills, and three ink bottles. Lilly chose one of each and wrote:


Dear Mom and Dad,

Last night was amazing! I met a girl on the train, but she was a bit crotchety. I purchased some sweets on the train and really enjoyed them. They’re so much different than Muggle (I think that is what I thought I was before I knew I was a witch) candy! When I put on the Sorting Bracelet, which I was completely surprised at, it pinched me and spun on my wrist, and now I’m in Ravenclaw! I hope you had a good time in it, Dad! The girl on the train was put into Hufflepuff. I met a boy that’s really nice, and he even kissed me last night! I’m very happy here, and I hope all is well back home.

Love,
Lilly



Lilly rolled her message up and tied it to the owl’s leg and gave it instructions on where to go. Lilly watched it fly off into the sunrise.

“Aren’t you hungry?” said a voice behind her. Lilly whipped around and saw David smiling at her.

“Yes, I was just sending an owl to my family about the last night.” Dave nodded and hugged Lilly and took her hand. They walked together to the Great Hall and spoke about their classes new schedule on the way.

David said History of Magic was boring, and Lilly quite agreed after what he had said about it. They talked until the bell rang and on the way to class. History of Magic was interesting to Lilly, because she knew nothing of magic. She was intrigued with all of the goblin wars and troll attacks. But David was very right about Herbology, Lilly adored it! But it was with Hufflepuff, and Lilly saw Andrea. Andrea waved at Lilly, but Lilly tried to ignore her.

“Alright students, settle down now! I am Professor Spiggett, and today we are going to make wiggentree powder for Madam Pomfred, the school nurse, for a potion to cure colds. Now, I am going to pair you up before we begin.”

Lilly started inching toward Dave, who put his arm around her, but Andrea was quicker. She pushed and shoved her way towards Lilly and yanked her away from Dave. Unfortunately for Lilly, this happened just as Professor Spiggett came bustling her way.

“David! You’re with Peter Wyndom. Lilly! You’re with Andrea Sparks. James! You’re with…….” Professor Spiggett pointed at a boy across the room and sped over to him, making some students trip over her feet. Then Andrea smiled at Lilly and Lilly forced one. She silently groaned. What if Andrea is going to be snappy again? Lilly didn’t have time to worry about it because Professor Spiggett was handing out large baskets of green, bumpy bark and a small piece of parchment. Then she announced the instructions.

“You should all have one basket of wiggentree bark per pair, and a spell. You and your partner are to separate the pieces of bark in your basket between the two of you. Then, tap your wand to a piece of bark and say the spell on your scrap parchment. When you are finished, put you and your partners’ names on the basket of powder and bring it to me. You may start.”

Lilly grabbed the scrap of parchment with the spell on it and read it. It said: ‘Pidollve’. Soon, the room was full of students saying ‘Pidollve’, and little lights going off. Andrea snatched the paper from Lilly and read it.

“Pidollve? All of the spells I’ve learned seem like gibberish at first, but they’ve all worked for me.” Andrea dumped half of the pieces of bark on a table and picked one up. Then she pulled out her wand, tapped the bark and yelled, “Pidollve!” A light flickered out from the tip of her wand and onto the bark and the moment it went out, there was a pale green powder running all over Andrea’s fingers. Lilly was dazzled and did the same; accept hers turned out to be a gross, brown liquid. Lilly blushed embarrassedly, and Andrea chuckled.

“Here, let me help you perfect that,” and Andrea showed Lilly the proper gestures and pronunciation until Lilly had the same pale green powder all over her hands too.

When Andrea and Lilly had finished, they had had a grand time. They talked and laughed about all sorts of things. They even were still giggling when they turned it in.

“Marvelous! Nice work,” said Professor Spiggett. She took the basket then went over to someone who anxiously waving their hand. When Andrea and Lilly had just sat down to talk some more, the bell rang. It was lunch for Ravenclaw, but not for Hufflepuff. Andrea said a rather long good-bye to Lilly, then left. When Andrea was out of sight, Lilly headed over to where Dave and Peter were finishing making their powder. It looked like he had made a friend too, because he also said a lengthy good-bye to his partner.

“Made a friend too, eh?” said Lilly. She hugged him then kissed him on the cheek. David blushed and smiled, and so did Lilly. They walked together to lunch and spoke about the lesson. David was pleased, but a bit surprised to hear that Lilly had gotten along well with Andrea.

“So how was Peter?” Lilly asked.

“Well, he was downright jolly. He couldn’t get it at first, but I helped him and he eventually got better until the bark was a bit powdery. He likes out-doors too, you know?” David seemed happy to have found Peter.

They ate lunch outside and had a wonderful time naming each tree and laughing. Then Lilly realized that the next lesson was Potions. Lilly suddenly stopped laughing and thought. Potions? Is Snape real? What will happen? Will he hate me? David noticed Lilly’s worried look and sat her down under a tree and tried to calm her down.

“No, there is no Snape,” he said soothingly. “His name is Professor Schink. He’s a bit grouchy, but not as mean as Rowling makes him out to be. So you needn’t worry!” Dave hugged her and as they pulled apart, he kissed Lilly quickly on the lips. It was a magical moment that Lilly knew she would always remember. Then, the bell rang and they walked to potions together, feeling as light as air.