Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

A Different Kind of Admiration by mrsweasley

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
**A/N** Writing all the romantic-gushy stuff isn't my strong point, but I actually kind'a like how this one turned out. Please REVIEW! I'd love to know what you think. just a 'yea' or 'nay'. gotta know if i should keep writing!
for all you h/g shippers, thats for next chapter!

______________________________________________________________

Ron was flying down the corridors of Hogwarts and with in minutes he was nearing the library doors and flew in.

“Hermione! I have - ” Ron stopped midsentence when he realized that Hermione was no longer sitting in the lounge chair by the dwindled fire.

Where is she? Ron questioned, and took one more look around the book filled room and left confident that she wasn’t there.

He started walking down the hallway that led to the courtyard outside. The wind whipped around him, the cold causing him to shiver. He had no idea why he was going to the courtyard, but he knew that she’d be there. She always went there when she really needed to think. As he got closer he smiled when he saw her sitting on the fountain’s sill. Snowflakes had just started to fall and they were floating on to her dark cloak.

He stopped walking, trying to find the perfect way to say everything he was thinking. He started pacing the hallway, rocking back and forth like a pendulum. His hands inside his pockets were trembling and his mind was racing faster than he could follow it. Ok Ron, he thought to himself, be calm. Just tell her how you feel.

With one more deep breath he moved closer to the courtyard and, coming into view from the hallway, Ron cleared his throat, “Hey Hermione.” Ron smiled warmly as she looked up, slightly startled.

“Oh, hello Ron. What are you doing here?” she said as she stood up, looking him in the eyes, and shoved her hands into her pockets. She started to dart his stare. “How did you know I was here?”

Ron took one more deep breath, “You come here to think.” His voice was quivering uncontrollably.

Deep breaths, Ron. Deep Breaths, he thought to himself while taking a step closer to Hermione, “You sit right here on the fountain’s ledge and you always sit in the sun, to warm you up,” he took another step closer, “even when it’s bloody hot outside.” Having no idea what compelled him to do it, Ron gracefully pulled her hand out of her pocket and into his grasp, “and…and, you always bite your lip when you’re thinking really hard about something. You shift your weight when you get nervous. You scrunch your nose up when ever someone bores you. Uh, I bet I sound absurd right now, huh?” The words had been spilling out faster than he could control and his stomach was in knots. Ron was getting nervous but kept his grip on her hand.

Hermione stood shell shocked and cleared her throat, but her words were whispers as she tried to grasp what he was saying, “Ron, what’s going on?”

Ron took one last deep breath, “Hermione, I think I’m, I mean I might be, but I don’t want to ruin, but I think--”

“RON!” Hermione yelled, her voice shaking.

Ron stopped to look at her one more time and took the plunge, “Hermione, I think I’m in love with you.”

Silence blanketed over the two, and Ron got suddenly nervous, his stomach feeling like an endless pit. Speaking cautiously he dropped Hermione’s hand, “Unless of course you think that’s weird or whatever. Then I’ll stop. It’s really up to you. I mean, I could just be delusional or something. Ok, I’m gonna stop talking now.” He squint his eyes and bit his lip, preparing himself for violent shouting, possibly even physical aggression, and silently praying for her answer.

Hermione slowly lifted her fallen head, letting a smile creep across her face. She stared into his eyes, not saying anything but just smiling.

Hermione grabbed Ron’s fallen hand, squeezing it in reassurance, glowing with excitement, “Ronald Weasley. You want to know something about yourself? Well, you blush whenever someone compliments your Quidditch skills. You twiddle your thumbs when you get frustrated with homework. Your loyalty to Harry is like nothing I’ve ever seen. You complain about your family’s status but you love your life and everything that you have. Oh yeah, and Ron…I’m in love with you too.” Hermione was now inches from Ron’s face.

A smile broke onto Ron’s face and he sighed, letting the tension fall off his shoulders. He removed his other hand from his pocket, laying both of them on each side of Hermione’s hips. The wind started to howl, cradling the snow around them. Ron leaned in towards Hermione…

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“….and then he kissed me.” Hermione sat dazed in her own account of the previous hour. She wanted to pinch herself to make sure it was all real.

“So you…and my brother?” Ginny Weasley asked, sitting opposite of Hermione.

“Oh Ginny I hope you don’t mind. I mean I wasn’t planning it and - ” Hermione sputtered.

“Hermione! Are you kidding? You two are made for each other. I couldn’t be happier. I don’t understand how you can see him as anything but a big git,” Ginny winked and nodded her head, “althoooough, I am going to miss my best friend while she’s off snogging in the trophy room!”

“GINNY!” Hermione gaped, growing bright red. Ginny couldn’t hold in the laughter as she rolled onto her back. Hermione hesitated for a second, looking at Ginny. “But, seriously Ginny I don’t want anything to change. We’re still best friends. All of us.”

“Hermione, I know that,” Ginny said, and gave a reassuring smile, “now let’s get some sleep.”

As they both crawled into their beds Ginny Weasley couldn’t help thinking about how everything was going to change.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

After letting Hermione go up to the common room first, it took awhile for Ron to get back to his dorm room. He had been too distracted with the replays of the night to pay attention to where he was going, going up the wrong moving staircase three times and trying the Gryffindor password at the wrong portrait.

By the time he slowly cracked his door open all the boys were in a deep sleep. Ron tip toed to his bed and started getting into his pajamas. Harry, awoken by him, rolled around in his bed and slowly brought himself up on his elbows.

“You tell her you love her?” Harry managed to croak out.

Ron smiled to himself, “Yeah, I told her. She said she loved me too.” Ron could hardly contain himself, blushing ten shades of crimson.

Harry managed a huge smile, “That’s great. So uh, did you kiss her?” Harry wondered, sitting in anticipation.

“Yeah…I did,” Ron sighed, falling back into his bed with thoughts of Hermione. Ron could hear Harry laugh in relief.

“So Ron, is she a good kisser?” Harry asked.

“That’s for me to know, and only me,” Ron barked, having that defensive boyfriend feeling kick him in the gut.

“Yeah,” Harry laughed again, “I’m happy for you guys. Just promise to name your first born after me.”

“What if it’s a girl, Harry?” Ron inquired.

“Harietta,” Harry replied matter-of-factly.

Ron laughed for a second, “Consider it done,” Ron hesitated for a second thinking of how Harry must be feeling, “hey Harry, this isn’t going to change anything. We’re all still best friends.”

“Yeah, Ron. I know,” Harry confirmed as he sat back into his pillow. He couldn’t help thinking about how everything was going to change.