Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

A Different Kind of Admiration by mrsweasley

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter 3

The sun broke through the curtains in the boy’s dormitory the next morning, bringing unaccounted uncertainties along with it. Ron tossed and turned in his tangled sheets which caused them to act more as ropes than linens, anchoring him to his mattress. As he suffocated himself with his pillow to block out the light, the memories of the previous night came rushing back to him like a torrential downpour.

Wow. Hermione. Me. Us. Wow. Ron couldn’t believe it wasn’t a dream, and after a small pinch on his arm reassured him, be bounded from bed, getting ready for breakfast at a record breaking speed. All he wanted to do was see her again.

As he approached the top of the boy’s staircase in the Gryffindor common room he came to a halt, and looked down to see Hermione’s bushy brown hair from behind. He let a smile creep onto his face, feeling his heart doing double time. Below, Hermione turned abruptly, her hair swinging to catch up with her neck as she caught his glance. After a moment of processing she quickly returned a smile more radiant than his, if it was possible.

“Well, it sure took you long enough!” Hermione joked, crossing her arms and pretending to be upset. The sound of her shoes tapping the floorboards as she moved towards the stairs echoed in the vacant common room.

Ron didn’t reply, just began a quick jaunt down the stairs and stopped inches from her. He placed both hands on her waist and looked her square the face, “Hermione Granger, was last night really real? Because it was the best night of my life and if it was all a dream, I think it’d kill me.”

Hermione began blushing madly again, “No, Ronald Weasley. It wasn’t.” With that, Ron leaned in and kissed her again, leaving her breathless. The seconds passed slowly as they stood there in each other’s arms. Then worry began to invade, showing in Hermione’s eyes first.

“Ron, what will everyone think?” Hermione asked, darting his gaze, not wanting him to think her cowardly, “I mean, not like that will have any effect on what we do. I guess what I’m trying to say is that I don’t know what to tell people. Or how to tell them, for that matter. I mean do we hold hands? Can we kiss? Do we keep it secret? What do we do?”

Ron stopped to think for a second, the concept hadn’t had time to cross his mind yet. To tell the truth he wasn’t really sure what to do, “I’m not sure. I guess that’s what we have to learn about being together, is how to act with everyone else. I’m not ashamed though, Hermione. I, uh, I love you,” For Ron, it still seemed strange to be able to say that freely to her.

The cherry color began to show up again on both Hermione and Ron’s face. Hermione managed to get out an ‘I Love You Too’ before they left for the Great Hall, Ron’s arm around her waist, both ready to face all that would come.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Harry had heard Ron jumping around in bed but chose to ignore his constant bickering about needing to get to the Great Hall and how this would be the third time this week he’s slept through breakfast. Harry grumbled half heartedly, thinking about how Hermione was already having an impact on Ron. He wasn’t paying attention as he wavered between awake and the world of happy sleep. Half an hour later he awoke alarmingly becoming instantly energized, thinking of the sure lecture Professor McGonagall would give him about being in proper time for meals.

Harry sped down the stairs as he pushed his arm through his sleeve on his Hogwarts robe, balancing his book bag on his other shoulder. Not paying attention to his surroundings he suddenly collided with someone and flopped backwards onto his back, his books flying everywhere. He heard someone grunt beside him, a mess of red hair just with in his view.

He immediately knew who it was, “Ginny? Are you ok?” He was quickly answered with fits of uncontrollable laughter.

“Oh, yes Harry,” Then uncontrollable laughter. “I’m fine,” more laughing. “Are you ok?” By this time both Ginny and Harry were wiping tears from their eyes and catching their breath from laughing so hard. Harry scanned the scene around him. Both of their books where scattered in a twenty feet radius and they were facing each other, now sitting up, both with mile wide smiles. Harry felt as if he could hear the pounding noise his heart was making and could feel his palms sweat as he looked into Ginny’s comforting face. Without realizing it, he found himself imagining moving closer to her, wiping her hair from her cheeks and then leaning in toward her and “

“Harry, can I ask you a question?” Ginny pleaded as she started picking up her books. Harry was snapped back to reality so quick he blushed profusely at the thought of his short lived and unexpected daydream.

“Er…yeah, go ahead,” Harry sputtered as he began imitating Ginny and picking up his books.

“I realize that you know about Ron and Hermione. I was just up late last night thinking about, well, do you think it’s going be weird now? I mean, this really changes everything. I’m worried, to be honest. I like things the way they are, you know. Don’t get me wrong, Hermione and Ron should be together. I just…”

Harry interrupted her, “I know. I’ve thought about it too. I guess the only thing we can do is just go with the changes. I mean, there’s no holding Ron and Hermione back now.” Harry tried with all his might to sound utterly confident in his reply.

Ginny smiled, more comforted then she had been this morning. They agreed to walk to the Great Hall together and as they walked Ginny couldn’t help but sneak an extra glance at Harry, slightly reliving the emotions of her first year.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ron and Hermione stood in front of the doors into the Great Hall, working up the courage to crack them open. The time passed slowly as each went over in their heads what people’s reactions would be.

Hermione turned to Ron, “Let’s go on in. There’s no point in avoiding it.” Ron met her smile, slightly wishing there was a way to avoid it all. He then proceeded to open the door for Hermione, while letting his hand slowly slip into hers. She snatched a quick glance at Ron, feeling more confident with him at her side.

The Great Hall was crowded as normal with the hustle of students grabbing breakfast before classes. As Hermione and Ron made their way down the aisle of the Gryffindor table, holding hands, the hall began to quiet till the silence was deafening. Every eye had now turned towards Gryffindor’s latest couple. Ron’s ears began to turn violently red but Hermione squeezed his hand in reassurance. Ron stood amazed at how she appeared to not be phased by the fact the entire school was watching their every move.

Ron spotted Dean and Seamus near the end of the table and made his way toward them, almost laughing at their shocked faces. Nearby, Neville’s jaw had practically dropped to the floor. Dean had stopped mid chew of his blueberry muffin and Seamus was completely oblivious to the fact his scrambled eggs has spilled all over him when his grip on his fork went spasmodic.

As soon as Ron and Hermione had both sat down the hall broke into a fret of whispers and “didyouseethat?” Hermione placed food on her magically appeared plate as if nothing odd was happening. “Hello Dean. Neville. Seamus,” Hermione mumbled, not even looking up when they didn’t respond. None of them had moved at all and were now looking from Ron to Hermione and back to Ron. Ron tried to avoid their gaze; he wasn’t sure how his friends would react to him and Hermione being together.

Dean finally managed to swallow his food and couldn’t contain himself, “That holding hands thing…was that”I mean, do you guys, well, are you guys….dating?” Every one within earshot was at the edge of their seat.

Hermione responded for Ron, considering he couldn’t find the right words, “Dean, honestly, is it that bad for us to be together? Don’t act so surprised. And for heaven’s sake, wipe that muffin off your face.”

Dean immediately moved to clean his face. Before anyone could enquire further a squeaky annoying voice came from behind them. Ron immediately recognized the conniving tone to be from Malfoy. He could also hear his two goons, Crabbe and Goyle, laughing behind him.

Malfoy began to raise his voice, even before Ron had a chance to turn around, “Well, look at what we’ve got here: a pauper and mudblood. Perfect match, if you ask me. Maybe you can comfort each other in your pathetic short comings.” Crabbe and Goyle began to laugh as if they were puppets on a string, encouraging Malfoy with pats on the back.

Ron stood from the table, fists clenched ready to punch Malfoy but before he had a chance Hermione laid her hand on his arm, “He’s not worth it Ron, you’ll get expelled. Don’t give him what he wants.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Meanwhile Harry and Ginny had finally made it to the doors of the Great Hall and stopped before them, just as Ron and Hermione had done earlier. The whispers were loud and clear coming from the hall. Harry and Ginny stole one more glance at each other.

Ginny was the first to break the silence, “And so it begins, Harry. The Love Story of Ron Weasley and Hermione Granger: Chapter One. We’re merely are blessed enough to witness it unfold,” Ginny winked at Harry and smiled.

Harry looked to her, smiling, “Here here, Miss Weasley.”

They entered the hall side by side and immediately saw Ron standing in front of Malfoy with a criminating look on his face, ready to throw a punch. Harry and Ginny immediately ran towards them to help.

The seven of them: Ron, Hermione, Harry, Ginny, Malfoy, Crabbe, and Goyle stood staring each other down. The tension was rising and you could see the hatred flaring in their eyes, on both sides.

Before anything could explode Professor McGonagall walked up to the group, “Surely, there’s nothing wrong here I trust. Mr. Weasley? Mr. Malfoy?” She raised her eye brows, as if to say she understands perfectly there is something wrong but she wasn’t going to let anything happen.

Grunts and mumbles answered her as they all quickly returned to their seats.

Once they had all found their spots and started into their meal Hermione turned to face Ron, “See there, the hardest parts over. I hope.” Hermione winked at him, squeezing his hand again underneath the table.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Despite the random degrading comments from Slytherins, Ron and Hermione’s relationship actually got an overwhelming public support base. People who Ron had never seen were stopping him in the halls to congratulate him about finally working things out with Hermione. He found himself in a confused state most of the day, and when classes had finally ended he collapsed into his favorite chair in the Gryffindor common room. He was relieved to find it empty. Right as his eyelids were about to give into tempting sleep, the portrait hole flung open with a loud bang, making him shoot out of his chair. He feel back when he saw that it was Hermione, looking provoked, like little bolts of lightening were going to escape from the tips of her hair.

Hermione charged over to Ron, throwing her bag of books mid-stride, “Girls are by far the most annoying nuisance known to the wizarding world!”

Ron muffled the energy to lift his head, “In case you hadn’t noticed Hermione, your a girl.” He smiled to himself, suddenly remembering how Hermione had yelled the same reminder to him years earlier.

Hermione eyed him carefully, “Thank you, Ron. I’m fully aware,” she turned to face him, “do you know I was just nearly mauled by a group of second year girls, with squeals so high only dog’s can hear them, demanding to know every detail about how we got together and drooling about how, and this is a direct quote, ‘utterly adorable’ we are together.” Hermione fused as she stepped closer to the fire to warm up.

Ron decided silence was the best method for calming Hermione down. He started to watch her standing by the fire, her face aglow by the flames. She was gorgeous. He casually slipped his hand into hers. It amazed him how much her touch energized him and he found himself standing up from the chair and leaning into kiss her when the portrait flew open. Harry, Dean, Seamus, and Ginny had all just flown into the common room and without hesitation, froze immediately. Ron and Hermione had long since jumped apart and started looking at the ceiling and floor, anything but their friends.

Dean spoke from the corner of his mouth in a strained whisper, emphasizing every word, “Stay still. Maybe they wont see us.” Soon everyone was laughing, mainly to cover the awkwardness.

Harry was amazed at how comfortable he was seeing his two best friends kiss. Well, almost kiss. He expected more odd feelings. He was also stunned at the feeling that he really wanted that too. Someone to hold…
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Staring up at her canopy that night Ginny thought about running into Ron and Hermione earlier. She had quickly realized that she didn’t have to worry about being left out to dry by Hermione, and that she’d always be there for her. The thought that was keeping her up, on this one snowy night, was about what her heart kept whispering.

Harry Potter. I think I’m in like with Harry Potter…again. Erg! Why him? Why can’t I like someone who doesn’t think of me as the eleven year old who horned at his every step? Or worse, as his best friend’s little sister! This is stupid, Ginny. You got over Harry! You’ve moved on! I’ve moved on. Really. I have.

She eventually fell asleep trying to convince herself against everything she was feeling.

So did he.



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
A?N: I know this isn't the most dramatic chapter yet, but I promise the next chapter is much better. 'specially for all you H/G shippers. i've been waiting to get to there forever! So, basically stay tuned is what i'm trying to say, and please please leave a quick review, doesn't have to be fancy, just thumbs up or down.