Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

A Different Kind of Admiration by mrsweasley

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
A/N: ok, any thing that seems like it came from HBP is just coincidental, this story has been planned out, although not all written, before HBP. Just thought I'd make that clear now.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Chapter 3

“HARRY, STOP! JUST STOP! I CAN’T TAKE IT ANY LONGER!” Ginny screamed, tears daring to drop from her eyes as she pleaded with Harry.

Harry’s head was slumped towards the ground, his hands in his pockets and his mind racing with how to respond. His words were barely whispers as he managed to bring his eyes to hers, “Ginny, I don’t know what to tell you. I’ve fought with it for weeks now. I want to, more than you know. I just…I just can’t. Despite it all.” He started to turn, to walk away from her so that it wouldn’t be as hard but she beat him to it, dashing off to the Quidditch field and never looking back.

As he watched her fall out of sight he could barely contain himself from following her, wrapping her in his arms, making the tears stop, healing her heart.

But I can’t. I have to do this. For her.

A shiver down his spine brought him back to reality, and he looked up at the Forbidden Forest in the distance, noticing for the first time the signs of spring taking territory. The last thing he wanted to do was go back into the school, face his friends, and tell them that he wasn’t strong enough to make it work with Ginny. The lake looked comforting and he found himself sitting under his favorite tree by the shore.

Despite the numbing in his toes he couldn’t bring himself to move. Her face was all he could see, her near tears wallowing in her brown eyes. He let a heavy sigh fall from his lips. His mind trailed back to that night, the best night of his life, when he’s finally won her heart. The memory was one of his most treasured…

“That’s right, baby sister. I have beaten you again. Bow before your champion!” Ron gleamed as he shot both clenched fists into the air. Ginny just rolled her eyes and stood up, moving closer to the fire.

Hermione, who was working on Transfiguration homework in her favorite lounge chair, looked up peevishly, “Honestly, Ron. You win almost every game you play, yet you insist on doing that ludicrous dance.”

Ron froze as his hands were waving in the air and broke into an innocent smile, “Oh, come one ‘Mione. It’s why you love me.” He winked at her and continued his dance. Hermione laughed sarcastically.

“You’d think, as clever as I am, I wouldn’t have lived through these past two months,” Hermione proposed to Ginny, pointing at Ron with her quill. Ginny laughed out loud as Ron dropped his jaw, “HEY! I heard that!” he yelled, moving towards Hermione. Reaching her chair he stood over her, attempting to look intimidating, then, just as quickly, he kneeled to kiss her on the cheek. Ginny watched them quizzically. Their cute flirting and petty fights were often nauseating, but always sweet at the same time. Her thoughts were interrupted as Harry came through the portrait hole, looking out of breath.

“Hey Harry,” Ginny said smiling, “where were you? why are you out of breath?”

Harry looked up at her defensively, a devilish grin spreading across his face, “oh, you’ll see. Soon enough.” With that he left the three Gryffindors standing alone, more confused than before he’d arrived.


* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Ginny pulled her robe closer around her. The bleachers around her were oozing with silence, loneliness and the despair that seemed to suffocate her.

Why is he doing this? Oh, I know why he’s doing this; I just wish he didn’t feel like he had to. She couldn’t help but smile when thinking of him. He was always protecting her; always making sure she was okay, always so selfless with her. She knew it wasn’t because he thought she couldn’t take care of herself, it was because he felt like it was the only thing he could do for her. She loved him for it.

She laughed to herself, remembering that night so many months ago…

Ginny yawned for what seemed the millionth time as she folded up her Potions homework. The library had been deserted by all the other student and Ginny left for the common room.

“Prickly trolls,” Ginny muttered to the portrait in a haze, dreaming of her soft pillow awaiting her. The portrait slowly creaked open, showing the common room empty except for Hermione standing alone in the middle, dressed in her nightgown, holding a piece of parchment.

“Hello Ginny, I’m supposed to give this to you,” her face was beaming now and she eagerly shoved the note into Ginny’s hand, “go quickly.”

Ginny looked to Hermione, utterly confused. Her curiosity was over whelming her sleepiness and she flipped the piece of paper over in her hands. Her eyes read each word with precision as her face mirrored the confusion she was feeling. With another reassuring glance to Hermione, Ginny turned and left the room, dropping the paper behind her. The note she had read slowly drifted to the floor, exposing its message.

It simply read, “Meet me by the lake.”


* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Ron and Hermione looked from the lake to the Quidditch pitch and back between the two.

“I’ll take Harry,” Hermione announced and took off without discussion towards the tree Harry was moping under.

Ron looked towards the Quidditch field, “Oooook, I guess that means I’ll take Ginny. Weasley to Weasley.”

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

The cold hit Ginny like a wall upon exiting the school. She pulled her cloak closer around her body and started walking towards the lake.

This is crazy. Why am I even here? I wonder if this is a trap. This better not be a trap. Oh great, way to walk right into it, Ginny. Real smart.

Something zipped right past her ear causing her jump to her side.

What the heck? What is that?

It was now flying all around her, speeding too fast for her to see what it was. She took a deep breath and tried to refocus on it, as she had often done with a snitch, watching it very carefully and it was almost as if it started to move in slow motion.

Is that a……

She grasped her hand around it, clutching it tightly. She opened her grip to find a slightly bent paper airplane. Her brow furrowed in confusion. It wasn’t exactly what she was expecting. It wasn’t just a normal airplane though, the paper seemed to glow, it was a bright white and it looked like something was stuffed inside. She slowly began to unfold the wings but as she did the plane shook madly. It was if something was trying to escape and it flew from her palms, exploding into a mirage of pearl white origami doves that quickly circled her, making her coat and brilliant red hair fly around in a mess. The paper doves flew into the night sky and out of view, except for one that fluttered steadily before Ginny. She held out her hand as a perch and it landed in her palm, tucking its head under its wing and collapsing into another note.

The words appeared one by one in deep crimson colored cursive…
So, you caught my messenger.
I’m not surprised.
There’s more for you to find out.
Keep going.


Ginny took a step forward. Then stopped. With a deep breath she started again. Then stopped.

Her mind was buzzing, This is crazy. Why can’t I go? Why do I just want to run back and pretend this never happened? She put her fingers to her temple, rubbing hard to clear her mind. I’m sacred of being disappointed. I don’t want to go because I’m afraid of it not being who I want it to be. I can’t let him hold me back anymore though. I have to go on. I have to find out. She walked on with new determination.


* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

A/N: Sorry to leave you hanging. Next chapter soon, but life is crazy with school starting and all. Please please review, and let me know if it's too confusing, cause i can change the format. Just thought i'd mix it up a little bit. Thanks!