Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

The Princess and the Prat by DanielRadcliffeandMe

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Read and review!!!!!



Chapter Two- Maybe He Lost a Bet?




James Potter sat in his large bedroom, reading over his Hogwarts letter, when Sirius Black woke up in the bed nearby that Saturday morning.

“Good morning, Prongsy!” Sirius Black said yawning. Sirius was the attractive co-ring leader of the Marauders and James’ best friend of seven years. “How is the master Marauder doing on this fine…” His head snapped up, as though pulled by a taught string. “I haven’t missed breakfast, have I?”

“No, Padfoot, you animal,” said James jokingly. “Breakfast hasn’t even started, I think.”

“Well then, I shall just go back to sleep, shall I?” And without further ado, Sirius crawled back under the covers of his bed and shut his eyes.

James smiled broadly and went back to his Hogwarts letters.

Head Boy… why in the world would Dumbledore pick me for Head Boy?

Since first year, James, Sirius, and Remus (and Peter, if you counted him at all) had been the height of prank-dom at school and had never hesitated to jinx anyone who deserved it (otherwise known as anyone in the way or just standing around). Remus, being the only sensible Marauder and a prefect, tended to be the voice of reason, even if he wasn’t entirely innocent. But James…

And then there were his parents. Jack “ James, really, but he didn’t use that name in company “ and Helena Potter worked as Aurors. Both had been at Hogwarts years ago, and his father had been Head Boy in his day. As Aurors, they frequently left the house (and often times, the country) on missions. It was sort of expected of him to be an Auror as well. Neither Helena nor Jack considered this too daunting of an assignment; it simply was. Telling them would mean an onslaught of lectures on the future, putting his mischief behind him, blah blah blah.

Suddenly, another voice in James head said, HEY! Who is the most likely girl in the year to be Head Girl?

“Lily,” James said under his breath. Of course, LILY EVANS would be Head Girl “ as if it would be anyone else! James sighed and lay down on his bed, looking at the ceiling, hands behind his head. More time with Lily… more time to tease her, to watch her, to be with her. The possibilities were endless.

James was so busy dreaming up progressively more ludicrous ways to tempt Lily into a date, he didn’t Sirius called from under his covers. Apparently, the latter had been unsuccessful in his attempts to fall back asleep.

“Ooh, doest mine nose deceive me? Do I smell bacon and sausages? Oi, Prongs! Is that breakfast I smell or am I hallucinating?”

Sirius looked up at a dreamy-eyed James.

“James! Earth to James!” Sirius said, waving his hand in front of James. “Alright, well, if you want me to eat your portion, just stay quiet…” said Sirius slyly.

James, still in his reverie, nodded dumbly.

“OK, if you insist.” Sirius quickly bounded to the door, but looked back in time to see James mouth the word ‘Lily’ to the ceiling.

“Ah, so that’s it, eh? Prongs, old friend, she isn’t even around and already you’re working up ways to ask her out?” Sirius teased, sitting down near James’ feet.

“Huh, what? Hey, Padfoot, I was just thinking-’’ James began.

“About Lily? Yeah, I got that impression.”

James chose to ignore this comment. His eyes were slightly misty, as though he hadn’t entirely decided if he was awake or not. “She’s just so pretty…”

“Didn’t anyone tell you that looks aren’t everything?” said Sirius in a sing-song voice.

James stared. “I thought you were the one going for a record on dates at Hogwarts, not me.”

“What’s in your letter?” Sirius said, changing the subject. “What’s the badge for? Superior snobbery?”

“It appears,” said James, very wary of the reaction he was about to receive, “Dumbledore made me Head Boy, and “’’

“HE WHAT?” Sirius shouted! “Oh my god, I think … I think… my heart…” Sirius clutched his heart, making very fake gagging noises.

“Oh, get a grip, Padfoot!” James said, shoving Sirius off the edge of the bed.

“Oi! What the … But has the man gone mad? I mean, James, seriously “ Remus was obviously the best choice for the job.”

“I know,” agreed James. He had never sought this position, nor did he particularly like the road it led down… responsibility, etc.

Sirius was thoroughly enjoying himself… “Your criminal record is beyond repair, Prongs!”

“I’m never alone, need I remind you…”

“Yeah, but I’m not the one up to disgrace his followers and fellow trouble makers! Why’d he do it? Did Dumbledore give a reason? Maybe he lost a bet? No, can’t think that easily, must’ve been bigger… Ransom? Murder? Ooh, a good scandal?”

“Padfoot, you are making this way huger than it is. I was just as shocked, but the big man says it’s ‘cause of my…perfect scores and great enthusiasm, I believe he said.”

They sat, looking over the letter (Sirius tried to take it and “test it for flame-deflection”). “You know,” said Sirius finally, “if this is legit, your mother is going to die over the stove! At least let me eat before you tell her “ I need nourishment!”

“If anyone DOESN’T need food, it’s you, Padfoot!” James said, gathering his letters and Head Boy badge, and walking to the door. Sirius laughed his bark-like laugh and pushed James out of the way of the door, running down the hall towards the stairs.

“Watch it!” James called, running after his friend. They ran around the second floor of James’ mansion, finally sliding down the banister, one after the other. James, now in the lead, sprinted the last twenty feet to the kitchen.

“Oh, honestly boys, don’t run in the house. Now “ sit and eat!” James’ mother, Helena, said exasperatedly.

Sirius didn’t need telling twice. He practically ate all his bacon in one bite, then moved on to his toast and eggs. James watched in awe for several seconds before beginning on his own plate. The dishes Sirius plowed through were washing and drying themselves in the sink, while Helena put the clean ones neatly away with a bored flick of her wand.

About half an hour later, and several helpings, James cleared his throat and Sirius looked up.

“Um, Mum, I got my letter from Hogwarts today…” James began.

“Oh, yes. Well, James, we will need to make a trip to Diagon Alley, and I suppose Sirius will need his supplies as well.” Helena said kindly, but looking into James’ evasive eyes told her there was more to be said. “James, you haven’t been suspended already, have you?”

Needless to say, Sirius nearly choked on his last serving of porridge. James shot him a deadly sideways look.

“Well, um… Dumbledore sort of… well, he made me…” James stuttered.

“Fine, I’ll do it,” said Sirius with distaste. “James is Head Boy.”

“WHAT? Has the man gone mad?” Helena shouted, looking from Sirius to James, then back and forth very quickly. A dish that had been floating between the sink and the cabinet had crashed to the floor and broken, unnoticed.

“Ah, a woman with sense!” Sirius said, still chuckling.

“Thanks, Padfoot, you really lighten the load,” James whispered.

“Well, I mean…James this is wonderful! Oh heavens, you know, your father was Head Boy….”

“Really?” muttered James through his pumpkin juice.

“This is such a surprise! I must owl your father! Oh, I never dreamed! After that terrible stunt last year with the billywigs…”

James had had enough. “Run! Head for the hills!” James shouted loudly. They both ran (Sirius had to run back and grab one last biscuit) from the kitchen, slowing as they reached the stairs.

“Yes sir, your Boyship, sir. May I carry you, sir? Do you need anything, your most prankly highness?” Sirius said, saluting James and bowing as the two walked back to James’ room.

*****


Later that day, James and Sirius made their way through the crowded streets of Diagon Alley with Helena. Jack Potter, James’ father, had been held up at the Auror headquarters.

They visited the robes shop, Flourish and Blots, and Quality Quidditch Supplies, among others. James decided that, for his gift from his parents (on becoming Head Boy, of course) that he would like the new Golden Arrow 360 model “ the newest broom to date.

About one that afternoon, after leaving Eeylop’s Owl Emporium at which Sirius had bought a new Brown owl, the boys met the remaining two Marauders-- Remus Lupin and Peter Pettigrew.

The four finally were freed of their chaperones, and all promised to meet their parents (or hosts, in Sirius’ case) at the Leaky Cauldron at six o’clock that evening. They boys wandered up to alley, wishing they could stray off the main street, though they had been forbidden on pain of something very terrible of which they were extremely skeptical.

“What you been up to, Moony?” James asked, as they entered Gambol and Japes, the joke shop.

“Full moon, vacation in Provence, homework, and then another full moon.” Remus grinned at a mask that made its own monster sounds. “How about you?”

“Homework?” said Sirius, so appalled the everlasting slug he was holding nearly popped. “I forgot!” He swore loudly.

“You can borrow mine,” suggested Peter squeakily, “but it wouldn’t be much help.”

“I’ll fake it. They can never tell.”

James laughed. Remus and Sirius talked more of their upcoming plans for pranks. As they wandered through the shop, James stared out the window. He knew Remus was slightly upset that it was James who had gotten the badge, though he hadn’t complained.

A flash of auburn was all it took to take James from his pensive stare. He walked quickly to the door, threw it open, and looked down Diagon Alley. There she was, entering Madam Malkin’s. Her gorgeous hair was visible from here, as was her breathtaking smile. James had the irrepressible urge to take off his robes and wrap her in them, smuggle her out of the street, and keep her away from the eyes of all of these idiotic men.

Trying his hardest, James rushed inside. He quickly made up a story about forgetting a broom kit; Peter, Remus, and Sirius “ none of whom convinced “ followed James into the street, and met a very interesting sight…







Read and review!!!