Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

The Princess and the Prat by DanielRadcliffeandMe

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
A/n - READ AND REVIEW, s’il vous plaît!
Short chapter… PS-- “~~~~~” means dream. By the way, I have chapters 1 to 31 already written, so be aware that new chapters are going up as soon as editing and validating are done.








Chapter 5 - Bewitched, Bothered and Bewildered




That night neither Lily nor James got any sleep.


No one had seen the kiss the two had shared, but Lily had felt guilty nonetheless. Dominating her thoughts were pleasant surprise and self-aggravation that she had lowered her own standards so low.


Dinner at the Grant’s house had been nice enough, as Jessica’s parents “ a witch and wizard “ had cooked a spiced pumpkin pie and made a special Percurona potion to clear Lily’s head after her “trying day”. When she finally did get to sleep, Lily’s dreams just made her more confused.


~ ~ ~



James had been inside a green restaurant, then told her to come outside. She couldn’t remember the occasion or anyone else, but he was clear. Every so often in the dream, they would go outside, and she would try to tell him that she liked him. However, every time she tried, James either made a fool of himself and she gave up, or she lost the nerve and they went back inside. Finally, at the end, he had put his arms around her. She leaned in for a kiss and…


~ ~ ~



“LILY! Wake UP! It’s time to go! You have to get to the train early!” It was Beth.


Oh Merlin, thought Lily, rolling out of bed.


She ran her fingers through her hair while looking under her bed for the last outfit she had left out.


Jessica was apparently in the shower, since Beth and Hannah had been getting back into bed “ Lily’s alarm had woken them all. Since she had to get to the train early and meet the new Head Boy, Lily decided to wait for the shower.

“What time is it?” Lily moaned, taking off her PJs and wrapping herself in a towel.


“Six,” Jessica called from the steamy downpour. “I’m getting out.” The water shut off and Lily closed her eyes so Jess could get out.


“Go ahead!” Lily was still trying to wake up, but Jessica flicked her wet hair all over the bathroom, sending a chill down Lily’s spine. “HEY!”


Jessica laughed, looking at a shivering, blind Lily sitting on the closed toilet. “What’s the spell for hair-drying?”


“Droogapelli!” taunted Lily. They both knew full well the simple charm, but neither was a morning person and Lily let it go. “Are you going to get out of here, or what?”


“Fine, fine…”


Lily heard the door close and opened one eye from behind her fingers. No one was there. She stood up and stepped into the glass-walled shower, letting her towel flutter and slip to her toes; the floor was cold and Lily’s hair was in a clip, exposing her neck.


She turned on the water and tried to decide as she washed what to do about James…


It had been an amazing kiss. But she had known too many girls who had been jerked about by stupid Potter, and it was difficult to herself as his girlfriend. He just was not for her. One amazing kiss does not guarantee a lifelong bond, Lily reasoned.


Turning off the faucet, rubbing the last bubbles of soap out of her eyes, Lily decided how to proceed.


She would speak to James, at some point, and explain that she had no intention of being more than his peer. Yes, that was how to do it…


At 6:30 that morning Lily came out of the bathroom, clean but feeling a little down. Some part of her subconscious mind wanted the truth, but her denial suppressed it. She quickly threw a few last minute clothes into her duffle.


Surprisingly, Lily was neater than usual in Jessica’s house, so finding her books and homework was not at all difficult. By seven, all the girls trudged into the kitchen after Lily, who was the only girl dressed of the four.


Mrs. Grant had made them all a huge breakfast of rolls, eggs, kippers, tea, and some mulled cider.


When the dishes were cleared (Lily had been exempted since she was done, though she helped anyway “ her levitation charms were, after all, legendary) it was almost eight and tempers were flaring. Beth, who was always very moody and never at all predictable, yelled at Lily for trying to help pack up the posters around Beth’s nightstand because Lily had nearly folded them. Lily didn’t really understand the big deal on having a crinkle across the nose of the Gytrash’s lead singer and panpipe player, but she got the message


Thanking the Grants for their hospitality, she gathered all her luggage, Archimedes in his cage, and apparated.


It took a second to get to the station with all her bags pinching her fingers and throwing off her concentration, but she got to King’s Cross station without any problems. Looking around, Lily found herself in the back of a deserted bookshop just across from the actual trains.


If I’m late, I’m going to get Beth for keeping me! thought Lily as she pulled up her sleeve.


Already half-ten. She swore lightly. She was supposed be meeting the new Head Boy with Professor Dumbledore already. Lily readjusted her belongings so she could run and carry them, finally just shoving them on a trolley she found after walking halfway to the platform. The commuters were bustling about the entire station, and she thankfully managed to slip onto Platform 9¾ unseen.


A few of the earlier students had arrived, and Lily knew her friends would be there before long. They never missed an opportunity to checkout how all the other kids (meaning boys) had changed.


Lily took a deep breath as the spell of the train drifted her way, sounds of happy people, owls and toads, and the continuous swishing of cloaks. It was oddly satisfying.


Snapping out of her daydream of Hogwarts, Lily walked briskly to the train car closest and boarded. Her bags and Archimedes’ cage got in the way of the door and she nearly dropped her biggest suitcase before someone took pity on her. Unfortunately, she stuck out her leg just as her cosmetic bag spilled into the hall and they leaned over to help, kicking her helper squarely in the jaw.


“Oh! I’m so sorry I “” But looking up, she saw who it was. James. Of course. “Oh, it’s you.” Her plan to be civil was failing fast.


“Nice to see you, too, Lily,” James said. He smiled grandly. Wonder if she’s wearing that same lip stuff…


“Can you do me a favor?” Lily asked, realizing the as each awkward second ticked by, people were apparating in. “Carry my other bags to the Prefects’ compartment? I’ll get the cage and my, er… all this mess.”


James nodded, rubbing his jaw where she had kicked him. Lily had to switch hands several times until James could untangle the straps of her suitcases, which they did in silence. Eventually, James carried the bags off towards the far end of the train; Lily watched in bewilderment as he left.


This concern for other people “ namely Lily “ was uncharacteristic. Then again, yesterday…


Archimedes hooted loudly, reminding Lily of the reason she had stopped in the first place: The spilled make-up. Lily stuffed the contents back into their leather case, not bothering to organize any of it. Her thoughts were now on James.


When she got up to the front of the train, opening the doors into the large room labeled “Prefects Only,” Lily found only James.


He smiled again, and stood. “Good morning.”


“Hello,” said Lily awkwardly. She had stepped into the compartment, for it was much larger than the usually ones down the rest of the train.


After several more uncomfortable seconds, Lily sat. James sat, too, opposite her, never losing his smile.


She gaped about for something to talk about. “Was your summer “” But she stopped. James was leaning forward, a foot, six inches, an inch away from her…


“James!” She was on her feet, and James was looking up at her, confused.


At this second, Sirius Black strode into the compartment, chin covered in lipstick.


James glared. He was absolutely nonplussed. Lily had pulled away from him…


Black was not at all on Lily’s Christmas list, to put it nicely. Hannah thought Sirius was the next Minister for Magic, whereas Lily often thought of Sirius as the next Leaky Cauldron janitor.


“Hello, Evans!” said Sirius, his voice low and jovial.


“Neither of you two can be in here. Prefects only, unless you’ve got permission from one of them, and they have to accompany you.” Lily informed the pair, using her most bossy tone possible; Professor McGonagall would have been proud. “What are you smirking at, Black?”


“Sirius, we’re staying,” said James, in a voice of greatest finality.


“We’re staying,” said Sirius, playing with his nails, baiting her.


Lily turned and glared at James. “Who gave you permission to be here, Potter?”


No one noticed James’ face fall as Sirius said, “Ask him.” Lily whipped around to see Albus Dumbledore closing the door behind him.


“Ah. My new Head Girl and Boy. Nice to see you both,” Dumbledore said in his usual calm voice, looking from Lily and then beyond.


Lily blinked. Who was Head Boy? What in the world was Dumbledore playing at?


“Excuse me, sir, but who is Head Boy?” Lily asked, trying not to sound as astounded as she felt. Sirius sniggered.


“Why, Mr. Potter, of course.”


Lily gaped, using all her strength not to let her jaw drop to the floor. “No offense, Mr. Black,” Dumbledore added, acknowledging Sirius.


“None at all taken, Professor,” joked Sirius in hearty reply.


Lily still felt totally confused. James? Who in their right mind would make James Potter the Head Boy at Hogwarts? Desperately trying not to imagine the weeks of planning for meetings and events she would have to endure, Lily gulped and plopped into a seat.


“Good, good. Well then, here’s a list of this year’s prefects and their houses. Fifth year prefects are to be given the most obvious jobs, I’m sure you recall…”


Half an hour later, Lily and James had been given the instructions for meetings and assigning duties for the incoming officers. Dumbledore left them with a swish of his cloak as the sounds of incoming parents and students filled the air.


“Interesting year it’s going to be, eh?” Sirius whispered to James.










Please read and review.